Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 20/20 episode makes it seem as if KP finds SP's phone and earbuds together, but the buds were not found until days later according to several articles

I don't recall that at all. Do you have a link, please?

The 20/20 episode makes it seem as if KP finds SP's phone and earbuds together, but the buds were not found until days later according to several articles

I had not heard they were not found together. Is there a link for that? Didn't the Sheriff describe how the phone was found and they even showed a photo, whether it was a real photo or a recreation, I don't know.

Here, try this coffin emoji lol ⚰

Sent from my SM-T817T using Tapatalk
Thanks Luv! Crawling inside right now, My impulse control is waning...[emoji86] [emoji85] [emoji87]

But SP did not ID the ethnicity of her abductors based on what she saw of them. She ID'd them as Hispanic based on hearing them speak Spanish and hearing one of them to have a heavy accent (assuming when they spoke English). I don't speak Spanish and only know a few words but I would know if I heard Spanish speakers who had an accent when they spoke English and primarily spoke Spanish to each other that they were Hispanic. SP lives in CA where the population is of Hispanics is high so I'm confident she could tell they were Hispanic from hearing them speak. JMO.

She did give a vague description of a few features, and I assume she didn't figure out what their eyebrows or eyes were like simply by hearing them talk. ;) Which can totally happen if the captors were wearing some sort of ski mask type things. I simply added that because of the unreliability of cross-racial identification, I can totally understand why the description of those features could be vague, too. JMO

ETA: I can totally imagine a scenario where she had identified them as Hispanic based on their speaking Spanish before she ever caught a glimpse of them, too.

I admit to skipping a few pages of the last few threads here and there, so I apologize if this has been brought up before; I have been meaning to mention it but I keep bumping into a locked thread. :)

Cross-racial identification is known to be notoriously unreliable. I could attach a link, but if you google it, you will find a dozen scholarly articles about it on the first page of results only.

I am still not sure whether I believe Sherri is possibly protecting herself and her family by not revealing the real descriptions (or even identities) of her abductors, or she simply really doesn't have more than what LE have revealed about her captors. The latter is not possible only because they could have kept their faces or Sherri's head covered at all times, but also because (added to consciously trying to conceal their looks) of the cross-racial identification aspect of it.

JMO

What does cross racial identification mean? I've never heard the term.

people of one race trying to identify people of another. Or, in this case, different ethnicities.

"The cross-race effect (sometimes called cross-race bias, other-race bias or own-race bias) refers to the tendency to more easily recognize members of one's own race." From here.
Loads and loads of detailed info if you google it.

One of my NYPD friends used to joke that if they have a perp of one race, and an eye witness of another, they just assumed the latter wouldn't even get the perp's height right.

OK, I'll try to explain how I understand it. People are better at recognizing members of their own race. So, if you're white and at a meeting and are introduced to "Bobby", who is white, you're more likely to be able to recognized "Bobby" at a later date then a black "Bob" or hispanic "Roberto".

but it had the cord wrapped around it and the sheriff said it looked placed there??

So maybe it was placed there?

Maybe she already had the cords wrapped around it when the car stopped beside her. And she was told to drop he phone and she did.

"At one point during her horrifying 22 days spent in captivity, Sherri Papini tried to find a moment of peace from just a piece of discarded cloth.

The mother-of-two rolled the cloth up and pretended it was her two-year-old daughter Violet, rocking it as if it was her baby girl.

This was just one of the emotional moments Papini's husband Keith shared during an exclusive interview with 20/20 that aired Friday, a week after his wife was found."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...arrowing-details-captivity.html#ixzz4RknNyCMT

New article. Horrendous.

I can think of a few reasons. Maybe she was trying to hide it and was holding it behind her back or something, and when told to drop it, she did gently, hoping to get a chance to use it again. Maybe they held her at gunpoint and told her to drop her cell, and she gently put it down, hoping it would be found as a clue. ????

I agree. I would think the most natural thing to do would be to gently drop or place the phone on the ground in a situation like this. The only way I see the phone being forcefully thrown to the ground is if one of the kidnappers grabbed it from Sherri and they did it. JMO

Per this description in The Daily Mail:

I'm having trouble visualizing this. When I think of a hood, I think of something like a pillowcase, or hangman's hood. If SP is wearing that sort of hood, how can she see her captors' eyes, or anything...unless perhaps eye holes are cut out?

But if eyeholes are cut out, then what prevents her from seeing her abductors, head to toe, even while wearing the hood? I'm only reading neck-up descriptions of her captors. Seems she could also offer comparative height, weight, describe their clothing, etc., though, couldn't she?

I've read that the abductors wore bandanas covering most of their faces. But if so, my immediate thought is, why do BOTH captor and captive need to have their heads covered if BOTH can still see each other? IOW, what is the purpose in putting a hood over Sherri's face if she can still see them? Because if the hood was such that she couldn't see them, then the captors would not need to bother covering their faces. So it would make sense to have either SP hooded, with no eye holes, OR the captors' faces covered. But having both parties wearing headgear that allows both parties to see each other doesn't make sense to me.

One added thought...if the hood did not have eyeholes cut out, then I would think if SP could see anything at all, it would just have been out the bottom...so she'd have seen the floor, or her shoes, or something below her waist. But I don't get how she would have seen her captors' eyes in that scenario.

I'm finding this description very confusing.
I took it as; sometimes Sherri was hooded, other times the woman were masked in some way.

The two women had their faces covered when they first approached SP ? In that situation the only way I would have gotten anywhere near the two women is if their faces were covered by hijabs. Because if anyone tried to approach me while wearing a mask, bandana or whatever, Ima run, like fast...jmo

Do you mean at county rd 17? I have been trying to see via the map someone posted a bit ago, also you can look at cal trans maps. I was looking for 2 reasons, one of them is to see what road sign SP saw to realize she was on the 5 south of Mt. Shasta.
There are definitely county markers saying "Yolo County". Every time we pass them on a road trip we all scream "yolo"

I think that she was possibly dropped near the intersection of County Road 99W and County Road 17. It is said she went to a church first. There is a Jehova's Witness Church at that intersection and then not far up CR17 you cross the overpass to I-5. There is a sign at the overpass that would give her some idea of where she might be:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot (135).jpg
    Screenshot (135).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 398
It's quite possible the kidnappers could have been wearing hats and/or big sunglasses. I drive around quite often in a baseball cap and ponytail and my big sunglasses on and I'm just your average everyday soccer mom too lazy to fix her hair and can't stand the sun in my eyes. So seeing two women drive up in a car like that asking me a question wouldn't immediately put me off or frighten me. They could have put something over her head once they got her in the car.

The two women had their faces covered when they first approached SP ? In that situation the only way I would have gotten anywhere near the two women is if their faces were covered by hijabs. Because if anyone tried to approach me while wearing a mask, bandana or whatever, Ima run, like fast...jmo

But even if they did not have their faces covered the first moment she saw them, it does not mean she can describe them 3 weeks later after being brutalized and chained up in a basement.

but it had the cord wrapped around it and the sheriff said it looked placed there??

What cord? Do you have a link for Sheriff making this statement....or just a general idea if it was during a presser or?

This thread will be closing for the
night in a few minutes. Will reopen in the morning. Remember, the final two episodes of The Killing Season on A&E featuring Websleuths members airs tonight ( Saturday) 9:00 pm Eastern . Don't miss it

My last post for the night. In all of KP's interviews including 20/20, I have not witnessed any passion or conviction in describing the perps or calling for the perps to be brought to justice! No anger towards the perps, just with anyone questioning the ordeal as they present it. Based on just that along (there is much more) I am confused. I feel great sorrow for all victims of crime. That won't prevent me from critically thinking about high profile criminal cases that have yet to come to a completion. I pray that LE gets to the bottom of this ordeal quickly and punishment hits to those responsible. I want those responsible here to be severely punished even if those persons are unexpected.

So maybe it was placed there?

Maybe she already had the cords wrapped around it when the car stopped beside her. And she was told to drop he phone and she did.

it just does not make sense to me that an abductor would allow you to gently place your phone down and if you dropped it, even gently, the cord would loosen to the point it would not looked placed there. IMO

Awww, the show is still on here in California. And the thread is shutting down? LOL We are always a bit late on the west coast.

it just does not make sense to me that an abductor would allow you to gently place your phone down and if you dropped it, even gently, the cord would loosen to the point it would not looked placed there. IMO

So what do you think happened then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member