Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the Sheriff said she was released by one abductor, not both. I suggest you take that statement literally.
Yea, I believe one woman was driving, and the other, was in the backseat with SP. The woman in the backseat opened the door and cut SP loose, and pushed her out of the vehicle.

The sympathetic one who shoved her out the car door? JMO

"Sympathetic" being a relative thing. Both women abducted her, and both women had to be aware of the weeks of torture even if both didn't inflict it, but only one woman let her go.

Shoving Sherri out the car door --letting her live--is yes, a sympathetic thing to do compared to the option of killing her.

IMO the money being offered as bounty the day before likely has everything in the world to do with Sherri's release. My guess is it forced her abductors to make a decision what to do with Sherri, and that one wanted to kill her and the woman who released her didn't. For whatever reason.

Something that caught my ear in one interview negotiator Gamble describes his negotiating tactic as a test. Thinking outside of the box because that's all I've got left. Could this kidnapping been orchestrated by Gamble to test if Americans would pay for such a service? Being the middle man in such a scheme would be seemingly profitable. The notion of offering a ransom vs. receiving a demand for it, draws my suspicion.

IMO Gamble has been looked at by LE. They were not excited about him getting involved and I suspect they checked him out.

Not sure if this has been brought up but the fact that SP was carrying an iPhone when she was taken will mean LE has access to loads of information about what transpired prior to SP being taken.

If you have an iPhone you can see this for yourself. Open the "Health" App (an Apple installed app that every iphone running a recent version of iOS has). In the Health app tap "Health Data", then tap the "Activity" logo with the bike on it. Scroll down to "Today" and tap either "Steps" or "Walking Distance". Next tap "Show All Data", then pick a date. The Health app will display a long list of motion events that occurred on that day. Each motion event has a start time and end time, accurate to the second. The iPhone software uses accelerometers in the phone to tell when you are moving and the software is able to distinguish between motion consistent with walking and running as opposed to bouncing around in the cup holder of your car.

What can all this motion data tell LE? Lots. For instance-

When did SP start her run?

How fast was she running, was it consistent to the pace she usually runs at?

Did she run fast at one time, perhaps to avoid being captured?

What time was the phone set down? Recording no motion is impossible to replicate while holding an iphone, the accelerometer is too sensitive.

What is the timeline for when Sherri stopped running and the phone was placed on the ground? Motion data could show either signs of a struggle or could indicate Sherri stopped running and spoke with the kidnappers before there was a struggle a possibility if she were being deceived by the kidnappers.

If the phone was still on when KP found it then him picking up the phone could very likely be logged as a motion event as well.

If Sherri were using a GPS run tracking app like "Map My Run" or "Strava" then the phone would also be logging GPS data. This would give very exact picture of how fast she was moving, where she was going and if she changed pace or stopped at anytime during the run.

Looking at the motion data combined with things like her call and text logs from that day should give LE a lot of clues as to what transpired the day Sherri was taken.

This is incredible. Thanks for sharing this. I hope LE knows all about these features as it could help them catch the abductors.

I recently got a smart phone for the first time and I was amazed at all the GPS and WIFI type things that came with the phone automatically.

Even though certain things can be turned off I suspect most people dont turn these types of features off because the instructions they gave me in the phone setup is it "helps you" as a user. They make it sound that its in your best interest to have the things they give you so they make you afraid to turn them off. At least that is what happened to me during the setup of my phone.

Practically everything the instructions gave me they kept saying that it can help me and help the phone work better for me. I suspect they are mostly right but they probably also use the information themselves for their marketing and product development purposes too.

One example is the first time I opened up a map on my phone I was surprised to see that the phone already knew exactly where I was and the map default was right where me and my phone was. So obviously the phone had pegged me by GPS location and knew where I was.

Even if I didnt. LOL :)

Yea, I believe one woman was driving, and the other, was in the backseat with SP. The woman in the backseat opened the door and cut SP loose, and pushed her out of the vehicle.

In the attached article it does sound like there was 2 abductors on Thanksgiving day but also could be the reporter just recapping;
USA TODAY NETWORK Sean Longoria and Alayna Shulman, Redding (Calif.) Record Searchlight
11:10 a.m. EST November 29, 2016
She was released Thanksgiving Day in Yolo County, according to investigators. She was bound with restraints and described her alleged abductors as two Hispanic women with a gun.

When asked to elaborate on scanner reports that Papini, 34, was found "chained to something," Shasta County Sheriff Tom Bosenko noted Monday that his agency had not phrased it that way.
"We weren't specific on how she was restrained," he said. "After being released, dropped off, however you want to refer to it, she walked to a nearby church, and then nobody was there, and then walked to I-5 near Road 17, where she flagged down a motorist."
While the same dispatch reports indicated she was "heavily battered," Bosenko also would not specify what kind of injuries Papini had. He said she was treated and released.
"We're not providing the details, other than they were non-life threatening and that she was treated and released," he said of the injuries.
Alison Sutton, a driver who said she saw Papini on the side of the road and called 911, told the New York Daily News that Papini "didn't look like she was hurt, but she did look scared."

USA TODAY
Sheriff: Missing Calif. woman found safe

<modsnip>I was just watching a video and this girl acts like she's insane. Or maybe it's like Scientology?

<modsnip> I'm not so sure that it's what I'd call a regular church. It seems to be one of those mega-churches w/some odd leanings.

I think this helps clear up the confusion about the Department of Criminal Justice Services, which was cited by Heavy.com as not being a Federal Agency.

http://catalystatg.wix.com/catalyst-atg#!testimonials

Catalyst Advanced Training Group offered a course called Criminal Intelligence Collection which was apparently certified by the Department of Criminal Justice Services in &#8203;Virginia.

I keep getting an error message. Two, actually: too many redirects and 404.

Above her shoulders but that is as specific as I'll get. I understand the kids are thrilled to have their wonderful Mom back.
Lake - how short is Sherri's hair? Also, how are the kids doing? Thanks

Well,if the hospital sent her home right away, then her injuries must have been similar to a sprained ankle. Either that, or the hospital is extremely lax.

Was there a reason the hospital didn't keep her longer?

It may be helpful to back up and take the time to read previous threads. There you'll find some excellent, detailed posts that have addressed this topic quite thoroughly.

Some of the posts are from nurses, including a trauma nurse, and some from rape victims. It may help you to better understand how it's possible for SP to have her injuries (that have already been established as fact) yet be released from the hospital later in the day.

Here's just two, both from Thread #13 (BBM):

Piligumbo said:
<snipped by me> I apologize I'm so late to the game on the hospitalization/injury issue, but I wanted to add a few things from a Trauma level, orthopedic level, and surgery level...as an RN.

- Weight loss and dehydration - the weight wasn't lost overnight and would not be gained back in a few days of hospitalization. Being home (or somewhere safe), resting, being offered food she likes will help her regain the weight. Labs would reveal hydration status (via electrolyte panels and renal panels) and fluids can be bolused in the ED. A dangerous electrolyte imbalance would most likely cause an overnight stay for observation as electrolytes are replaced. Mild imbalances can be replaced in the ED.

- Battery - as long as testing (Sono, CT, MRI, etc) reveal no internal injuries and no RISKS of internal or extremity injuries (think, for examples: fractured rib risking puncturing of lung; bone fracture risking blood vessels; swelling risking nerve damage or blood supply, etc) you will be discharged home. It takes time for tissue to heal, fluid from swelling to reabsorb, and old blood from bruising to reabsorb, and a person won't look too much better just from a short hospital stay. Home, elevation, ice, and NSAIDs will help those injuries.

- Broken noses, jaws, or other common fractures - often these are too swollen to do surgery right away. Sometimes surgery is delayed a week to 10 days to allow swelling to disperse. If the swelling or injury risks the airway, you will be hospitalized. <snipped by me>

LaborDayRN said:
To be fair, hospital staff my have hydrated her with IV fluids and possibly added electrolytes to the IV fluid if indicated. They also most likely treated and cultured any wounds that SP had. She was also likely fed when they felt she was stable so unless she has an underlying condition that affects her blood sugar, her glucose level should have been normal. It can take up to 3 days to get results back from standard cultures. She will be notified if antibiotics are needed. It's also possible they sent her home on antibiotics for her injuries.

If it were me, I would want nothing more than to go home.

Well KP did say that on the 20/20 interview. And 87 pounds is very thin. Just not deathly thin.

According to SPs Missing Person flyer, she stood at 5'4" and weighed a hundred pounds.

According to the weight table for women, SP should have weighed 110 or more.

When she was Taken, SP weighed 10 pounds less than many women her same height. SP lost down to 87 pounds. That is a weight difference of 23 pounds.

weight-chart-1.jpg

Folks aren't kept very long in hospitals anymore for anything. My stepdad was out of the hospital the day after having open heart surgery. My dad had terminal brain cancer, had brain surgery to remove the malignant tumor deep in his brain, and was released 3 days later. A friend just had a hysterectomy and was out the same day. Etc. Etc.

Just isn't unusual, even before one considers the possibility Sherri actively chose to leave rather than have strangers coming in and out of her room and constantly touching her for one necessary reason or another.
3+ yrs ago I had a hysterectomy and left same day, by my choice. The dr said I was ok to stay or leave so I did what they requested and went home to recover. I was single, lived alone and my best friend and my daughters took turns checking on me. It was way more relaxing and better recovery than other stuff I'd been required to stay in for.
Even the after effects of a assault/beating with a broken nose didn't require a hospital stay just a lot of police photos.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It may be helpful to back up and take the time to read previous threads. There you'll find some excellent, detailed posts that have addressed this topic quite thoroughly.

Some of the posts are from nurses, including a trauma nurse, and some from rape victims. It may help you to better understand how it's possible for SP to have her injuries (that have already been established as fact) yet be released from the hospital later in the day.

Here's just two, both from Thread #13 (BBM):

Thanks for reposting those. I missed them the first time around.

Yeah s/he would be being contacted by loads of other people who are desperate to find their loved ones. It seems that his or her generosity only extends to the SP case, sadly.

And that may explain the AD being a member of the family.

I like this post.

Also remember, it was not just CG that was going loud about turning reward money for her release into reward for their apprehension. SP's hispanic FIL did also prior to that in the Facebook Redding Crime 2.0 pages and referenced in this news article: http://www.redding.com/news/local/P...-well-use-the-money-to-get-you-402495816.html
"Sympathetic" being a relative thing. Both women abducted her, and both women had to be aware of the weeks of torture even if both didn't inflict it, but only one woman let her go.

Shoving Sherri out the car door --letting her live--is yes, a sympathetic thing to do compared to the option of killing her.

IMO the money being offered as bounty the day before likely has everything in the world to do with Sherri's release. My guess is it forced her abductors to make a decision what to do with Sherri, and that one wanted to kill her and the woman who released her didn't. For whatever reason.

I agree. I don't think traffickers are in the business of killing their commodities, as the threats are usually effective enough. IMO, the vast majority of victims who do escape or are rescued do not come forward with their accounts. I've seen FBI stings where the victims are very reluctant to cooperate with LE because they fear their own imprisonment (treated as prostitutes, not victims) or they fear retaliation if they do speak out against the pimps. This article tells of a victim who was recaptured after testifying against the traffickers and rather than kill her, they intended to put her back into prostitution. BBM

The woman had been a witness in a prior human trafficking case after being forced to work as a prostitute between 2009 and 2011. Her testimony led to 13 convictions in Tennessee and Kentucky on various federal sex-trafficking and prostitution criminal charges.
Following her cooperation with law enforcement, the victim and her family were relocated to Panama City Beach out of concern for their safety. However, federal authorities incidentally were placing her in the same county that eventually would be discovered as a sex trafficking ring's operational headquarters.
Federal officials declined to comment Friday on whether the ring existed at the time or if there was knowledge of its existence.
Feliciano-Francisco and others tracked down the location of the witness to retaliate for the convictions. Authorities said the victim was in her front yard in Panama City Beach when Feliciano-Francisco and an unidentified man forced her into a car and drove to Feliciano-Francisco's house in Hattiesburg. Feliciano-Francisco sexually assaulted the woman and planned to force her to work as a prostitute in Louisiana.
However, the kidnapping victim escaped through a bathroom window that evening and went to the Hattiesburg Police Department. Police went to the house and arrested Feliciano-Francisco.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...king-charges-florida-feds-20151102-story.html

I keep seeing this suggestion that traffickers would not let her live, therefore it is not likely to be trafficking. I'm just curious, does anyone have any stats on how often traffickers kill their victims? I only recall reading news of big trafficking busts and rescues. I don't recall very often where a victim is found deceased and LE discloses it was traffickers who killed her but perhaps they don't disclose that very often out of respect for the family? Or perhaps I never noticed it is a big problem? Is there actually a big epidemic of trafficking victims being killed when they refuse to cooperate or try to escape? I know traffickers often use THREATS of death and actual violence to control their victims but do they actually kill as often as is being suggested? What percentage of trafficked women are found dead? Asking because I really have no idea..not trying to be smart. TIA to anyone who can bring awareness on this issue.

Thank yo u again Lake16. Do you know if Sherri knows why only one of the abductors released her? TIA

That's all I have time for at the moment. I know I didn't answer some questions, but some questions are better left unanswered for a number of reasons.

<modsnip>

But to people who are Christians, we for the most part believe Bethel Church is "one of us". That doesn't mean we would necessarily agree on every point of theology with them. There are things I personally differ with them on, but I can listen to their worship music all day long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said. Hillsong is great IMO.

Due to the ongoing nature of the investigation I can't answer that question.
Thank yo u again Lake16. Do you know if Sherri knows why only one of the abductors released her? TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper