Evidence revealed during the course of the Wrongful Death action

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
BettyP :wave:

The newest minute order from ex parte on 11/17/2016.

BBM- notice the comment regarding Adam's dispute to the two sets of discovery. One issue has been resolved and counsel are close to resolving the other. Doesn't appear Zahau stalling was of issue last week hence the word resolved.

CENTRAL MINUTE ORDER
TIME: 08:45:00 AM

DEPT: C-69

JUDICIAL OFFICER PRESIDING: Katherine Bacal
CLERK: Jay Browder
REPORTER/ERM: Not Reported , Not Recorded
BAILIFF/COURT ATTENDANT: Bryan Bagnas

SUPERIOR COURT OF CALIFORNIA,COUNTY OF SAN DIEGO

CASE NO: 37-2013-00075418-CU-PO-CTL CASE INIT.DATE: 11/13/2013CASE TITLE: Estate of Rebecca Zahau vs. Shacknai [IMAGED]
CASE CATEGORY: Civil - Unlimited CASE TYPE: PI/PD/WD - Other

Curtis K Greer, counsel, present for Plaintiff(s).
Marlys K. Braun, specially appearing for counsel KIM SCHUMANN, present for Defendant(s).Kathleen McCormick, specially appearing for counsel Mark Vranjes, present for Defendant(s).Krista M. Enns, counsel, present for Defendant(s).
Darin L. Wessel, specially appearing for counsel John D Marino, present for Defendant(s).

Now being the time previously set for hearing Defendant Adam Shacknai's Ex Parte Request for Discovery Conference Regarding Dispute Re Plaintiff's Responses to Adam Shackani's First and Second Sets of Discovery, counsel and/or parties appear as noted above and the hearing commences.

Counsel inform the Court that they have resolved one of the issues and are close to resolving the other.

The ex parte is off calendar without prejudice.
Counsel agree to continue Adam Shacknai's Motion for Protective Order as follows:

Motion Hearing (Civil) is continued pursuant to Court's motion to 02/10/2017 at 11:00AM before Judge Katherine Bacal.

Thanks for the update, Lash! You're the greatest.

Slowly, but surely, this case is moving forward.

Since Rebecca Zahau was the subject of an intense police investigation, her Permanent Resident records would be needed by the SDSO and the other three agencies that worked on the case. Dina is entitled to all of the investigative files. The Zahaus and their followers may want to railroad three innocent people in order to make a fortune, but that will not happen.

Are you talking about the Federal case the Zahaus closed just to keep Dina from deposing the FBI agents that worked on the case?

Actually, Betty P., it is the Zahaus who are stalling. They were suppose to get their interrogatories in to Adam Shacknai's lawyers in July. They still have not done so. Adam has filed a Motion with the Judge and she is not going to be happy, since she gave them three extensions with the last one being final. Under the law, the Plantiffs have an obligation to provide the information.

Why would the Zahaus want to stall a case they brought to court? Because they know they have no case at all.

The federal government disagrees with Dina. Like the rest of us, they likely think her legal immigration files are of no relevance in this case. Because they aren't.

As Lash's post shows above, the only parties delaying the case are Adam Shacknai and Dina.

Thank you for posting the minutes, Lash. However, that does not change the fact that the answers were due August 15, and the fact that the Zahaus are playing games with the Defendants and the Court.

On August 11, 2016, Plaintiffs requested a two-week extension of time, to August 29, to respond to Mr. Shacknai's discovery. The extension was granted. Id. at 3.On August 25, 2016, Plaintiffs requested a second extension of time, to September 15, in which to respond to the discovery. The extension was granted. Id. at ®[ 4.

On September 13, 2016, Plaintiffs requested a third extension of time in which to respond, to September 29. While that extension was also granted, Plaintiffs were also told it had to be the final extension of time because Mr. Shacknai needed Plaintiffs' responses in sufficient time to allow for any follow-up discovery or motions to compel that may be necessary prior to expert discovery. Id.

On September 28, 2016, Plaintiffs requested a fourth extension of time in which to respond, to October 19, 2016, notwithstanding the fact, Plaintiffs knew as of September 13 that the third extension of time was the final extension. As such Plaintiffs' request was denied. Id. at If 6.

Late on the evening of September 29, 2016, Plaintiffs emailed courtesy copies of their discovery responses to all counsel. Those responses contained objections only, with a single exception—plaintiff Pari Z. Zahau responded to Form Interrogatory No. 1.1 and identified that her counsel assisted with the preparation of responses. Id. at If 7. Each of the other plaintiffs served objections only to Form Interrogatory 1.1. Id.

After waiting just over a week to see whether amended response would be forthcoming, on October 7, 2016, counsel for Mr. Shacknai emailed Plaintiffs' counsel asking when substantive responses would be served. Id. at ^f 8. In the hope that a pending conference on the Court's ex parte calendar might spur a prompt response, that email also notified Plaintiffs' counsel (and the other parties) that a reservation has been made for October 20 at 8:45 a.m. Id.

On the afternoon of October 18, Plaintiffs' counsel responded by email. Id. ^f 9. They set forth that they hoped to have “supplemental” responses ready for service “next week”—i.e., the end of the week of October 25. and, for the first time, that they would be unable to attend the October 20 informal discovery conference. Id. Finally, they wrote: “I suggest that we reschedule for the first week of November, as you will hopefully have had time by then to analyze our supplemental responses.” Id. As a courtesy, counsel for Mr. Shacknai called the Court and continued the informal discovery conference to November 2. Id.
On the afternoon of October 31, Plaintiffs' counsel both left a voicemail and sent an email about the discovery responses. Id, ®[ 10. In pertinent part, the email sets forth: “Although we have made good progress, we still have not completed the amended responses to Adam Shacknai's discovery demands. I am hopeful that we can have the responses completed and verified by this coming Tuesday, November 8.”

B. The Second Set of Discovery at Issue

On August 26, 2016, Mr. Shacknai served a set of special interrogatories and requests for production of documents on plaintiffs Pari Z. Zahau, Estate of Rebecca Zahau, and Estate of Robert Zahu. Enns Dec. at ®[ 11. The declaration of necessity for the additional interrogatories was inadvertently left out. Id. On September 14, 2016, by overnight delivery, counsel for Mr. Shacknai served declarations of necessity for the second set of special interrogatories. Id. Plaintiffs responses were due October 17, 2016. Id,Plaintiffs served their responses to both the special interrogatories and requests for production of documents by mail on October 14, 2016. Id, at f 12. Plaintiffs Pari Z. Zahau and Estate of Rebecca Zahau served objections only. Id, Plaintiff Estate of Robert Zahau responded to only half of the 20 interrogatories (not all responses were complete) and only 1 of the 15 document requests. Id, The remainder of Estate of Robert Zahau's responses were objections. Id,

On October 20, 2016, counsel for Mr. Shacknai wrote to Plaintiffs' counsel regarding the deficient responses, asking if Plaintiffs intend to stand on their objection or supplement their responses. Id, at ‘[13. It is unclear whether the most recent promise to serve supplemental responses extends to this set of discovery.

I smell defeat for the Zahaus and their fradulent lawsuit to make....wait for it...17.1 million dollars. I guess 10 million wasn't enough for the golddigger family.

Does anyone want to discuss what Neil Nalepa, Rebecca Zahau's ex-husband meant when he says in his interview with detectives that "Rebecca had learned what men like and used it to get things from them?"

Does anyone want to discuss what Neil Nalepa, Rebecca Zahau's ex-husband meant when he says in his interview with detectives that "Rebecca had learned what men like and used it to get things from them?"

What aspect of that statement would you like to explore.

I had missed so much on here and tried catching up (still working on it). I saw much discussion of the clothing neatly folded on the bed. Small women's size. Sans panties. I did not see anyone draw any correlation between the non-existant panties in the master and the fact(?) That small size panties were found in the wastebasket in the guest room. The ones reported by the homeowner to belong to one of his daughter's friends. Huh?

Whatever was said, will be regarded by the court as "hearsay" and "opinion", and will not be admissible as evidence of anything WRT this civil wrongful death lawsuit, IMO.

What exactly about that statement could possibly be relevant to proving that Dina, Nina, and Adam are not responsible for Rebecca's death/ murder?

Nothing at all, IMO.

It's utterly irrelevant to whether Dina, Nina, and Adam are responsible for Rebecca's death/ murder. Just another attempt to smear a woman dead in her grave, who has no opportunity to rebut.

Just because an ex husband has an "opinion" about "something" related to his ex-wife in her new relationships, doesn't mean it's "true", or "relevant", or "evidence". (lol!)

If you think you're harming the deceased victim or the case against the defendants with these kinds of posts, you're sorely mistaken. Number one, Rebecca's DECEASED - she can no longer be hurt. Number two, no one reading here or anywhere will be convinced of anything more than that *someone* seems to be obsessed with Rebecca and her relationships with men. The only people who will find this "information" you provide useful, will be the defense. Clearly *someone* had a major ax to grind with Rebecca.

I had missed so much on here and tried catching up (still working on it). I saw much discussion of the clothing neatly folded on the bed. Small women's size. Sans panties. I did not see anyone draw any correlation between the non-existant panties in the master and the fact(?) That small size panties were found in the wastebasket in the guest room. The ones reported by the homeowner to belong to one of his daughter's friends. Huh?

That is a total fabrication and yet another rumor spread by the Zahau gang. There is NO mention that Rebecca's underwear were missing, no mention of size. Please state in which investigative document, court document or MSM article states anything about Rebecca's underwear. TIA

If you think you're harming the deceased victim or the case against the defendants with these kinds of posts, you're sorely mistaken. Number one, Rebecca's DECEASED - she can no longer be hurt. Number two, no one reading here or anywhere will be convinced of anything more than that *someone* seems to be obsessed with Rebecca and her relationships with men. The only people who will find this "information" you provide useful, will be the defense. Clearly *someone* had a major ax to grind with Rebecca.

Rebecca's ex husband knew her better than anyone, and still loved her despite her numerous affairs and her constantly trying to find someone with more money. He knew about her molestation, her faked "kidnapping" she tried to pull when she ran away from her first millionaire, and the missing persons report. He knows all the lies she told. Seems he is so afraid to be deposed that he has defied a court order to answer questions under oath, and a motion is on the docket to compel him to talk.

Rebecca is not the person that Mary Zahau has tried to make her out to be. She was a very messed up woman - a shoplifter at the age of 30, and a compulsive liar.

She committed suicide to hide what she did to Max.

<modsnip >

Rebecca's ex husband knew her better than anyone, and still loved her despite her numerous affairs and her constantly trying to find someone with more money. He knew about her molestation, her faked "kidnapping" she tried to pull when she ran away from her first millionaire, and the missing persons report. He knows all the lies she told. Seems he is so afraid to be deposed that he has defied a court order to answer questions under oath, and a motion is on the docket to compel him to talk.

Rebecca is not the person that Mary Zahau has tried to make her out to be. She was a very messed up woman - a shoplifter at the age of 30, and a compulsive liar.

She committed suicide to hide what she did to Max.

<modsnip >

Irrelevant.... how does this pertain to Dina's (or Nina's or Adam's) defense?

Well because she deserved to die, don't you see? They just did what needed doing, these poor victims of such a monster as that babysitter scratch that illegal immigrant man-eating gold-digging lying thieving cheating messed-up hateful and let's not forget murdering babysitter.

What?

Edited to add:IMOO.

I think she is trying to say if Rebecca had mental issues, then it is quite likely she killed herself due to her mental issues that her family does not want to admit she has or may not know she has. But faking a kidnapping is pretty serious IMO. I thought she also had some road rage issues and I'm sure there are other things that her ex knows about that her family may not. Just saying.

Well because she deserved to die, don't you see? They just did what needed doing, these poor victims of such a monster as that babysitter scratch that illegal immigrant man-eating gold-digging lying thieving cheating messed-up hateful and let's not forget murdering babysitter.

What?

You really believe all that?

I believe that would be considered sarcasm.......
Rebecca may have had her faults, and made some mistakes, as all of us do, but some tend to make her seem like evil incarnate. SOME tend to take this case so personally its as if they have a personal stake in the matter. Almost a jealous infatuation of her and her life where you have to nitpick the minor things to make a mountain out of a molehill.

I shoplifted as a child, Therefore I must be a SHOPLIFTER for life. I found out what a boyfriend liked and catered to him. Therefore i am a manipulating shrew who does whatever needs to be done to get men. PLEASE! Add up all of my mistakes in my 20s, you'd have thought i'd have murdered many people and committed suicide multiple times. Sorry, i'm happy, healthy and successful in life. But pick out and focus on the minutia and i'm a horrible, manipulative, selfish, abuser of people monster. YOU CHOOSE! ;-)

I think she is trying to say if Rebecca had mental issues, then it is quite likely she killed herself due to her mental issues that her family does not want to admit she has or may not know she has. But faking a kidnapping is pretty serious IMO. I thought she also had some road rage issues and I'm sure there are other things that her ex knows about that her family may not. Just saying.

Yes, SweetT, it is clear that Rebecca had mental issues, and all of this will be brought up in court. I feel certain that much of the Defendants case will be proving that Rebecca committed suicide, like LE determined. She certainly had a pattern of running away from problems, and pretending to be kidnapped so she didn't have to face the man she had been living with for months proves that.

This case has now been in the court for 1123 days and the Zahaus still have offered up NO evidence for their claims.

In fact, one of their claims has been totally debunked - that the witness saw Dina at the mansion around 10 pm. Impossible, since she was with Jonah at the hospital. Jonah left to go get some sleep at 1 am. It is also impossible that Dina then left to kill Rebecca. a) she has nurses that saw her there all night b) she was not seen on video leaving and c) there is no way she could have gotten to the mansion and have all those crazy, convoluted actions happen resulting in Rebecca's death by 3 am. (Rebecca was dead inbetween 1 and 3 am according to the coroner).

Nina also has witnesses that know she was home after her walk over at 10.

Adam was sleeping and there is absolutely nothing to link him to Rebecca's hanging. That he took Ambien is irrelevant and is a ridiculous claim as to him " murdering" her, since all the DNA and fingerprints prove Rebecca committed suicide. There is not one fingerprint, one fiber, one skincell, one iota of DNA, or one hair placing him in Rebecca's office. No, all the physical evidence and all the circumstantial evidence proves it was Rebecca and only Rebecca that took her life.

It is highly doubtful that this will even go to trial. since the Zahaus have no evidence to prove their fanticised claims, Judge Bacall will more than likely throw it out when Summary Judgement comes.

I also don't believe anyone posting here thinks "Rebecca got what she deserved". What she deserved was to face Child Protective Services, and to tell everyone the truth about what happened to poor little Max that day.

Instead she took the cowards way out, and killed herself in an angry suicide designed to hurt Jonah, who, she professed to love.

Yes, a very, very, messed up woman.

LuckyLucy... I would like to know what it is that you think Rebecca was giving her then current man, what was it that he wanted? And do you think it cost her her life?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheeseDreams
Back