Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious if Douglas Garland will take the stand.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 24s24 seconds ago
Crown asks: "did you provide any chemicals to remove DNA?" And also something called blood stopper. #garland

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 54s54 seconds ago
Crown asks Archie #garland if he saw Nathan, Kathy or Alvin on the farm the week of June 2014. No, he answers.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 34s35 seconds ago
Archie #garland said no to question if he had used DNA erase or blood stopper. Now defence will ask questions of witness.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · now
Crown asks Archie #garland if he had anything to do with their disappearance. "No,' he answers softly. Court taking morning break now.

Ina SidhuVerified account ‏@CTVInaSidhu 1m1 minute ago
Crown: did you buy chemicals to remove DNA, DNA erase? Archie #garland: no wasn't me @CTVCalgary

Jordan KanyginVerified account ‏@CTVJKanygin 1m1 minute ago
Archie #Garland asked if he bought chemicals on the farm, including DNA erase and Bloodstopper? Archie says no. @CTVCalgary

Good Lord, why do these products exist?????

That would be helpful ... here's four

- stairs leading up to the bedrooms ?
- master bedroom on top level at back of house
- family room next to side door on main floor level beneath master bedroom
- dining room at back of house next to kitchen
- Airdrie property layout

http://globalnews.ca/news/3172718/h...ouglas-garland-accused-in-nathan-obrien-case/

http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgar...ien-mother-testify-douglas-garland-trial.html

There is a barbell beside the pullout bed. I believe when JO testified yesterday she said that when she left Nathan was sleeping downstairs. I am mixed up on which grandparent he was with.

Was the other barbell found in the garage?

So now we know that DG had a WEEKLY standing appointment with a psychiatrist. Interesting point. If you are going once a week you've got some really serious stuff going on.

So now we know that DG had a WEEKLY standing appointment with a psychiatrist. Interesting point. If you are going once a week you've got some really serious stuff going on.

How did DG come to have this standing arrangement? I find this very interesting.

Yes, a company hired by the City to do some surveying work. Unbelievable!

It speaks well of all the people involved that this, and other significant evidence was never revealed, for surely there were quite a few people who knew about this before the trial.

I'm a bit confused here.

Initially we were told that DG's parents were away on a camping trip while this all went down.

Archie's testimony today sounds like they were there at the farm. He took messages from police and psychiatrist office during those crucial days.

Am I interpreting this correctly?

I'm a bit confused here.

Initially we were told that DG's parents were away on a camping trip while this all went down.

Archie's testimony today sounds like they were there at the farm. He took messages from police and psychiatrist office during those crucial days.

Maybe it was his cellphone? They never touched on the camping, maybe Defence will.

I'm a bit confused here.

That's how I understood it as well. Maybe he was ill and his wife was away? I guess we will find out soon when she testifies today.

I can't help but feel sorry for the elderly parents who have to be dragged into this. Archie is well into his 80s, hard of hearing, can't stand for long periods of time and has to be at court to state that he had nothing to do with any of this, nevermind carrying the shame of being the father of the person accused of it. I'm sure this is not how he pictured the winter of his life.

I wonder if the psychiatrist can be called to testify or is it privileged information.
I also wonder if the psychiatrist saw this coming in any way.
Is psychiatry covered by Alta Health Care?

Lots of people see psychiatrists regularly - I have a family member who see a psychiatrist because their depression meds are complicated and require the doctor's careful monitoring and occasional adjustment. Maybe DG was on meds.

IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 1m1 minute ago
Court resumes in #Garland triple-murder trial, defence lawyer Kim Ross will cross-examine Archie Garland, father of accused.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 11s11 seconds ago
Archie #Garland now being shown aerial photographs of his farm. Defence directs him to south out-buildings.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 13s13 seconds ago
Defence says there are 4 items, like sheds. Archie #Garland says he's correct.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 6s6 seconds ago
Defence now directing Archie #Garland to 3 sheds. Asks him the dimensions. "I can't even recall now what they were used for."

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 4s4 seconds ago
Archie #Garland is having trouble recalling dimensions, uses for those sheds. "That's ok, Mr. Garland," says defence.

Defence brings up two conversations Archie #Garland had with Calgary Police. July 14, 31 of 2014. He's having trouble understanding the q's.

Archie #Garland says he doesn't really recall speaking to two Calgary police detectives in 2014.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 23s23 seconds ago
"Would it be fair to say Douglas was a loner?" asks defence. Archie #garland agrees. No girlfriends, suggests defence Ross.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 22s22 seconds ago
Archie #Garland agrees his son didn't have hardly any friends. "I never saw him show violence to anybody" says father of accused.

Archie #Garland says he & wife never saw their son being violent. Agrees w/ defence suggestion Alvin Liknes had been on the farm many times.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 5s5 seconds ago
Defence establishing that the pumps accused and Alvin Liknes worked on were on the farm. #Garland

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 25s25 seconds ago
Defence asks if Kathy Liknes had been on the farm. Archie #Garland says she'd been there a few times.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 21s21 seconds ago
"He could have," says Archie #Garland when asked if Alvin Liknes had ever used the green truck.

Defence asks if Douglas helped him when he was in bed with absessed tooth. "I guess that's right," he says of wknd of June 29. #Garland

Archie #Garland agrees he hears his son in the shower on morning of Monday June 30; "we had dinner together" he says of June 29.

"He was there when we went to bed at 11 in the evening and he was there when we got up in the morning," says Archie #Garland. #yyc

Defence suggesting it was 7:15 a.m. when accused was at home Monday June 30, 2014. Archie #Garland agrees

Kevin Martin ‏@KMartinCourts · 28m28 minutes ago
Archie Garland says he had dinner with his son hours before grandparents and grandson disappeared and is not aware of him leaving the house.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 45s46 seconds ago
Doreen #Garland is now taking the stand in her son's triple-murder trial. #yyc

Thanks for searching for that so only one of us has to have that in our browser history. ;)

Too late.

Why on earth would somebody have that on hand.

Psych Services are covered if u go thru your Primary Dr. There can be a wait but it is prioritized based on need. IMO this guy is a Sociopath and no medication etc. is going to "cure". I do wonder if he was going at his Parents urging based on what they observed. Whatever he was presenting. IMO.

Just catching up on this trial. The evidence appears to be overwhelming and disturbing. My thoughts are with the family/friends of the deceased and the jurors who will have to spend the next 5 weeks finding out just how sick and evil some people can be. It's definitely going to be life altering for many, if not all of them IMO. :(

Thanks to those who are posting the trial tweets so we can follow along. :gthanks:

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 39s39 seconds ago
Crown prosecutor Vicki Faulkner will be questioning Doreen #Garland; Accused was born January 27, 1960. "He's almost 57," says his mother.

Doreen #Garland says she and her husband wasn't a hunter, but son Douglas had gone a few times. Doesn't recall when.

"Did he ever butcher any animals?" Crown asks. Doreen #Garland says no. "No, he did not," when asked if he had many friends.

Doreen #Garland says accused was admitted to medical school at U of A. Afer a few months, "he seemed to have had a breakdown" and left.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 3s3 seconds ago
"Well, he's my son, I love him and I've always loved him," says Doreen #Garland. "I think he's an unhappy man."

Doreen #Garland: "The room that the computer was in, the door would be open and I'd see him using the computer."

"We're really old school I'm afraid," says Doreen #Garland of her and husband's lack of computer skills. They never used it, she says.

Doreen #Garland says her son fixed things well, the dishwasher, the washing machine. "Even when he was a little boy he was very good.."

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 17s17 seconds ago
"Basically we just did whatever we wanted to do," Doreen #Garland says of life on the farm. She always cooked dinner for the three.

Doreen #Garland is asked, "Do you know if Douglas was incontinent?" she says she wasn't aware.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 12s12 seconds ago
Crown mentioned that accused #Garland had a "fascination with restrained and diapered women" in opening address Monday.

Kevin Martin ‏@KMartinCourts · 6m6 minutes ago
Douglas Garland built this greenhouse on the Garland farm, his mother says. #Garland

"Because we were three adults living there, we respected privacy for each other," says Doreen #Garland. Didn't go into his room.

Accused Douglas #Garland liked to read, says his mom, but doesn't know what books he was reading in June 2014.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 15s15 seconds ago
Doreen #Garland is extremely polite, warm as she answers questions from Crown.

Kevin Martin ‏@KMartinCourts · 46s46 seconds ago
"He had several shelves of books," Doreen says of son, Douglas. #Garland

"I wasn't an outdoor person," says Doreen #Garland, adding she didn't spend time around the out buildings.

Doreen #Garland says she doesn't know why Douglas bought some things. "We had enough" on the property, she says.

Kevin Martin ‏@KMartinCourts · 1m1 minute ago
"This is what we called the shop," Doreen Garland says of one of the buildings on their property. #Garland

Doreen #Garland's retired life before June 2014 consisted of attending church groups, reading books, spending time with her family.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 47s47 seconds ago
Crown asks if they were growing anything in the greenhouse in June 2014. She says no, they weren't. #Garland

"It wasn't being used, to the best of my knowledge," says Doreen #Garland. Now being asked how they dealt with garbage.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 41s41 seconds ago
Doreen #Garland identifies the burn barrel on their property. "I would imagine that was the one that was used." She never burned garbage.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 45s45 seconds ago
Doreen #Garland says she thinks her son gathered up the garbage every day. "I don't know how frequently it was burned," she says.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 53s54 seconds ago
Doreen #Garland had to take her husband to urgent care just before weekend of June 29, 2014 because of his tooth issue.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 2m2 minutes ago
Doreen #Garland says Archie also took tylenol-3 for pain that weekend. She takes a sleeping pill at night. "I'd done that for a few years."

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 2m2 minutes ago
Did anything out of the ordinary occur that night? Crown asks of June 29. Nothing she knows of, says Doreen #Garland

Doreen #Garland recounting morning of June 30: she went to memorial service, came home at 5 p.m.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 12s13 seconds ago
Doreen #Garland went down that evening to watch tv news. Saw a storm was coming when she saw Alberta alert. then saw picture of three.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 29s29 seconds ago
"I go the impression the Liknes' had taken their grandson," says Doreen #Garland

****note... pics are available on Twitter from @KMartinCourts****

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member