Found Deceased MO - Toni Anderson, 20, North Kansas City, 15 Jan 2017 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I read it was the left knee and thought they implied the tracking device protruded out the left side. Geez

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could be the left knee, I wish I wrote things down because that is the only chance I will remember anything.

Police still pondering how Toni Anderson’s car ended up in Missouri River

Kansas City police detectives on Monday continued to work to positively identify the body found in a submerged car in the Missouri River, but Toni Anderson’s mother has said it’s her daughter.

[snip]

“I can’t confirm anything that has been told to the family of Toni Anderson, but I can say that at this point, we don’t have any evidence that suggests foul play,” said Capt. Stacey Graves, a spokeswoman for Kansas City police.
“It’s still an ongoing investigation that detectives are working on, so I won’t be able to speak any further about that.”
Anderson’s mother, Liz Anderson of Wichita, told The Star on Sunday that police had confirmed the identity. The body reportedly was identified from clothing Toni Anderson was last seen wearing.
Police have not provided an explanation of how Anderson’s car ended up at Platte Landing Park, where it was .

[snip]

There’s only one light pole in the parking lot, which is by the boat ramp. The ramp, which has about an 8- degree slope down to the river, has a grooved surface and points downstream.
Anderson’s mother said the most likely explanation is that her daughter was upset about being stopped and became confused and ended up at the boat ramp in the park.

[snip]

http://www.concordregister.com/poli...oni-andersons-car-ended-up-in-missouri-river/

I wanted to believe that it was something more than an accident, but honestly, it seems like an easy enough scenario. I have ridden with some scary fast drivers when I was around that age, and have made many dumb manuevers myself. I think it is reasonable that she was driving around the lot, looking for a friend or whatever, maybe had her phone out texting or calling said person. If you notice, the boat ramp is a bigger opening and a shallower turn then the proper road out of there. Factor in that it is night, and that she could not see past her headlights when facing the river... By the time she was able to see that it was the wrong way would be when her front wheels were down the ramp. Add in some time that she may have been texting and she could have hit the water right as she noticed... So she panics and tries to reverse, but the car loses traction and starts sinking...Like other users have said, it is surprisingly quick before a car becomes inescapable, and a while before the pressure equalizes and an escape is possible... Factor in some ice, and I am surprised this is not more common, the local government should definitely gate that off during off hours (The whole parking area, in case of late arriving boaters...). I know it is a funding issue, but I think this proves it is a safety issue.

No she would be pretending to be drunk because it would give the clients an illusion of more control while she actually maintains control. In her profession it would mean the client was paying up more thinking her inhibitions were down when they really weren't. In strip clubs you are dealing with patrons who will take things as far as they can meanwhile dancers are trying to maintain boundaries while trying to get as much money as they can out of their clients. And as weird as it might sound given her job, pretending to be drunk may have given her an excuse to comfortably act with less inhibition without actually risking a loss of control.
And to be blunt I don't think you are quite getting Toni's sense of humor when she is joking about alcohol. The sort of jokes she was making are very common for people her age. They are the same sorts of jokes I made when I was her age and hungover. I hated alcohol on Saturday morning but we were in love again by that night. By Sunday morning our sorority house was full of girls on bathroom floors stating in totally deadpan voices that they hated alcohol. The hate would pass again by the time we slithered to brunch and noticed mimosas were on the menu.

What I was saying is that if she was actually drunk, then she wouldn't have to be pretending to be drunk. So she didn't drink at work.

The tweet about hating alcohol was posted at 4:14 AM on a Saturday morning. Seems more likely to be leaving work than experiencing a hangover. I could be wrong.

If she was in an altered state I would suspect marijuana and not alcohol based on what we know about her. The toxicology should provide that information.

Seems like this this case is closed IMHO.

Or pills.

I thought I read it was the left knee and thought they implied the tracking device protruded out the left side. Geez

I thought I heard left knee as well. Which didn't make much since to me at time considering outlets would be on right side of driver.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by cnmccarthy
Not sure if link is allowed, but someone on Toni Anderson accident discussion posted pictures of what it looks like to drive that park at night. :loser:

Mods, please delete if not allowed! https://www.facebook.com/groups/3608...89918734697731

It's a closed group, so anyone not a member cannot access the group or their pics through the link you provided.

Here are the 2 nighttime pics. Thanks to whoever on FB posted these:
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• platte1.jpg
    platte1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 274
  • platte2.jpg
    platte2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 283
Those insurance tracking devices are not plugged into your car's regular outlets (like where you plug in your phone charger) - they go into the car's ODB-II port, the diagnostic port. On my car it is right in front of my left knee, near the fuse panel. I'm not sure what model of car Toni drove but if y'all know you can google where the ODB-II port is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for the night pictures. Even with the light, that ramp is still very deceiving with the steep drop off and total darkness of the river. I'm a bit shocked that in addition to the "stop" sign (which doesn't really effectively warn a driver) that there isn't a gate or, at the very least, a sign that warns of this being a boat ramp with a steep drop off into the river.

The more I look at the picture of the stop sign, the stop sign just confuses the situation. To me, if I were approaching that area at night and was unfamiliar with the area, the stop sign indicates there's other traffic (as a stop sign is designed to do). If there's other traffic and the only other direction the other traffic could be coming from is the other side of an assumed intersection, I (as someone who is unfamiliar with the area) would stop and then proceed ahead. But with a ramp that steep would make it extremely difficult to correct your mistake - especially if the ramp is iced over and the car won't stop.

I respect everyone saying they think this is an accident. It very well could be. But several times since they have found her car, I've noticed people getting mouthy about those of us who still "somehow" think this fishy.

So she was supposed to meet friends at The Shady Lady Saloon? Why did she drive in the opposite direction?

217791e5e91324d48c4ff2a8732b7ca1.jpg

She knew where Shady Lady was. So this leads me to believe she had other plans. Why would she lie to the cop about where she was going? Who knows...either way, she got off the interstate and drove out of her way to this park.

Not only did she drive to the park for some unknown reason, but she drive straight into a river. I know accidents happen. They happen daily...I live near Foss Lake in Oklahoma and a few years ago they found 2 cars submerged in the lake. They drove down the boat ramp. The difference is that that boat ramp was at the corner of a sharp curve where they just drove straight onto it at night.

So supposedly, people think she accidentally ended up at the park. So she drives into the park (which is clearly alongside a huge river). It's desolate. She passes a few parking lots she could turn around in. She passes other little spots she could turn around in. Instead, knowing the river is right to her left, a giant parking lot to her right, and a large concrete area ahead of her, she decides to turn left down a boat ramp with a "STOP" sign in front of it. I've circled areas she could have easily turned around in.

354a9e273206c5cf64c2e2c68e366276.jpg

The ONLY accident scenario I can think of is that she was impaired in some way. The cop did not notice this, so it either happened QUICKLY after, or it didn't happen at all.

Other people have other reasons for thinking it could be foul play. But these are mine. All the signs to me point to her meeting someone at or very near that park, whether it was an accident or not...and nobody knew who or why. She did not end up way over there for no reason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I respect everyone saying they think this is an accident. It very well could be. But several times since they have found her car, I've noticed people getting mouthy about those of us who still "somehow" think this fishy.

So she was supposed to meet friends at The Shady Lady Saloon? Why did she drive in the opposite direction?

She knew where Shady Lady was. So this leads me to believe she had other plans. Why would she lie to the cop about where she was going? Who knows...either way, she got off the interstate and drove out of her way to this park.

Not only did she drive to the park for some unknown reason, but she drive straight into a river. I know accidents happen. They happen daily...I live near Foss Lake in Oklahoma and a few years ago they found 2 cars submerged in the lake. They drove down the boat ramp. The difference is that that boat ramp was at the corner of a sharp curve where they just drove straight onto it at night.

So supposedly, people think she accidentally ended up at the park. So she drives into the park (which is clearly alongside a huge river). It's desolate. She passes a few parking lots she could turn around in. She passes other little spots she could turn around in. Instead, knowing the river is right to her left, a giant parking lot to her right, and a large concrete area ahead of her, she decides to turn left down a boat ramp with a "STOP" sign in front of it. I've circled areas she could have easily turned around in.

The ONLY accident scenario I can think of is that she was impaired in some way. The cop did not notice this, so it either happened QUICKLY after, or it didn't happen at all.

Other people have other reasons for thinking it could be foul play. But these are mine. All the signs to me point to her meeting someone at or very near that park, whether it was an accident or not...and nobody knew who or why. She did not end up way over there for no reason.

ITA about the stop sign being confusing. it makes the driver think he can carry on like it's a road that will take you somewhere.

Not only was Toni not a drinker, but I also think her drug use is overblown.

"I love stripping. You just have to be smart about it. Don’t get ****ed up at work. Don’t start doing drugs. Don’t rely on alcohol for confidence. Don’t let customers do things to you that you aren’t comfortable with or that violate the rules of your club. Don’t work for a club that disrespects you or doesn’t stand up for you or that tries to pimp you out." - Toni on tumblr, one year before her death

Responding to a few comments from different people above, including this one.

On those night pics, the stop sign is so misleading in my opinion...even for a well rested, sober driver. I would definitely expect a Do Not Enter sign, not a stop sign which implies you are on a road where you need to come to a complete stop before proceeding. The paint markings also look like a crosswalk, which would further suggest to me that I was on a road. Scary.

In terms of the other turnaround areas, those are good thoughts to take into consideration. However, she could've easily gone to the park to meet someone, to stop for a smoke, or to wait for the roads to be salted before continuing etc. So she may gone there on purpose and not even have been looking for another turnaround.

Even if she wasn't going to the park, she may not have noticed she missed a turn until she had already passed those other areas. Or she may have preferred turning around in bad weather in a big lot rather than trying to pull into and out of a driveway or smaller area on slick roads.

Since we have no idea when she realized she wanted to change directions, this may have been her first or preferred opportunity to do so after realizing it.

It is frustrating bc we may never know. We may just have to mourn her loss and take from it what we can learn: to avoid traveling alone in remote areas at night, to stay home during ice warnings, and so on.

I hope the police find and release more that can help bring more closure, but if not, I am grateful to have learned about Toni and what she brought to this world.

I'm on the fence about whether it was an accident or something more sinister, but I don't feel like there's enough information either way right now. But sometimes weird accidents do happen: http://fox4kc.com/2017/01/18/slick-...nd-up-fully-submerged-in-pond-at-kci-airport/ - this person drove straight into a pond and blamed icy conditions. My dad responded to an accident scene once where a person drove into a creek...none of the first responders could figure out how the heck he managed to do it, but it turned out he had a seizure while driving.

ITA about the stop sign being confusing. it makes the driver think he can carry on like it's a road that will take you somewhere.

Exactly why I said the stop sign is inappropriate for where it is being used. A stop sign is for an intersection to instruct a driver to stop before proceeding into an intersection and to be aware of crossing or oncoming traffic. I'm surprised the parks department hasn't gotten scolded or at least instructed that their use of a stop sign is woefully inadequate for this setting and additionally completely gives a driver the wrong instructions.

There should be a very large yellow CAUTION sign on each side of the ramp that tells approaching drivers that they are about to enter a boat ramp and a steep grade. That's what we have on boat ramps where I live. Maybe Toni's family will see that something is done so this doesn't happen to anyone else.

Exactly why I said the stop sign is inappropriate for where it is being used. A stop sign is for an intersection to instruct a driver to stop before proceeding into an intersection and to be aware of crossing or oncoming traffic. I'm surprised the parks department hasn't gotten scolded or at least instructed that their use of a stop sign is woefully inadequate for this setting and additionally completely gives a driver the wrong instructions.

There should be a very large yellow CAUTION sign on each side of the ramp that tells approaching drivers that they are about to enter a boat ramp and a steep grade. That's what we have on boat ramps where I live. Maybe Toni's family will see that something is done so this doesn't happen to anyone else.

imo, The signage should not only be at the boat ramp but also well before that, along the street at least 50 ft before you get to the curve at the ramp.

In fact, I can't think of any water recreation area I've ever visited that didn't have good signage to not only direct people to the boat ramp, but to warn people of the danger.

This was one thing I posted about Sat night / Sun morning. ( http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...as-City-15-Jan-2017-5&p=13223083#post13223083 )

This is labeled as "Main Street"! It isn't as though it is just a park road.

Who would think that Main Street would lead right into the bottom of the damn river!?

imo - There is negligence on the part of those responsible for signage in that park. Toni's parents need to be made aware of that negligence.

end-of-road1.jpg

boat-ramp-road-ends-sign-announcing-obvious-62467215.jpg

road-ends-in-water.jpg

Body identification confirmed:

KC police officially identify body found in vehicle pulled from Missouri River as Toni Anderson

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Kansas City police confirmed Wednesday that the body found inside a vehicle pulled from the Missouri River at Platte Landing Park Friday night was Toni Anderson.

I don't understand the reporting in this area! I could be wrong however it did not look like the front end was smashed up. The windows shattered.. yes but did that contradicts the police report where they stated the window was partially rolled down when found. How can a shattered window be rolled down. Perhaps forensic testing on car showed full window safely in the door. Just odd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member