IN - Abigail Williams, 13, & Liberty German, 14, Delphi, 13 Feb 2017 #60

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reiterating something someone posted upstream.

If you haven't seen it yet, check out the Netflix documentary called The Keepers. It's about the cold case of Sr. Cathy Cesnik, who was murdered in 1969, and the efforts of two of her then-students, who are trying to piece together the events.

Those two lead sleuths are tenacious, articulate, and resourceful. When they had a box of old VHS tapes to listen to in their search for a snippet of an old TV interview, it reminded me of the painstaking work people do in the scanner thread.

Check it out. It's in eight parts with each one being ~one hour.

So you think they were sexually assaulted and killed due to their age and sex. Do you think they knew the killer or arranged to meet beforehand perhaps?

I don't think they met him on purpose. I don't think they knew him, as if they did I think others would have recognized him by now, which does not SEEM to be the case.

RL's lived in the area for over 50 years. I'm sure he's observed his fair share of people walking in the area and then leaving in a car- leaving either with a friend or someone they know. Or even hitching a ride.

It's common living in farming country to know habits of certain people coming and going. And in his case, coming and going from the trail and bridge. Also cemetery.

RL's lived in the area for over 50 years. I'm sure he's observed his fair share of people walking in the area and then leaving in a car- leaving either with a friend or someone they know. Or even hitching a ride.

It's common living in farming country to know habits of certain people coming and going. And in his case, coming and going from the trail and bridge. Also cemetery.

How close is his house? I didn't think that close from the maps.

After I tried recording while walking with my phone in my pocket, I believe that is what the noise is. I had originally thought it sounded like rustling leaves too.

Once you get past the first turn in this video (when the wind stops) this is the sound I hear from the BG "down the hill". So I'm not sure if its pocket noice or walking leaf/ground noise. What do you think?

[video=youtube;9NRsWMECSNI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NRsWMECSNI[/video]

How close is his house? I didn't think that close from the maps.

People cutting through his property. 50 years on 40 + acres you are used to people possibly accessing the trails from a distance. Same with the bridge. Visiting cemetery and then walking around. Fishing, etc.

He's a seasoned landowner used to people cavorting around on acreage. He wouldn't think twice if someone was out walking and then hopped in a car that pulled up next to them.

Once you get past the first turn in this video (when the wind stops) this is the sound I hear from the BG "down the hill". So I'm not sure if its pocket noice or walking leaf/ground noise. What do you think?

Maybe not so much leaf sounds as walking/gravel path sound.

It doesn't appear to be crunching leaves since it doesn't look like there are any on the path. It sounds a lot like the pocket noise with the sound of footsteps combined.Because I was indoors without shoes when I did my recording, the footstep part isn't there, MOO

Reiterating something someone posted upstream.

If you haven't seen it yet, check out the Netflix documentary called The Keepers. It's about the cold case of Sr. Cathy Cesnik, who was murdered in 1969, and the efforts of two of her then-students, who are trying to piece together the events.

Those two lead sleuths are tenacious, articulate, and resourceful. When they had a box of old VHS tapes to listen to in their search for a snippet of an old TV interview, it reminded me of the painstaking work people do in the scanner thread.

Check it out. It's in eight parts with each one being ~one hour.

I'm hooked thanks to you Websleuthers. Those two actually remind me of posters here.

Jabarn, I thought it sounded like leaves when I first listened to it as well but then more recently, I'm hearing a rubling sound (I said horse trotting another person mentioned a washing machine). So I'm wondering if it's possible to isolate the voice and by doing that it accentuates another frequency, for ex bass vs treble.

Not for sure. Bass vs treble suggests musical notes to me, but I know you are getting at sound waves. With that, all kinds of things are possible, such as were they walking down a hill, around a hill, over water, and all that. You are way too smart for me! :)

IMO, you can hear some wind noise after the turn, and most of all, footsteps. How could it be anything else? Thanks so much, and yes, it's the footsteps on dry ground in the audio released of the BG, too.

That is important because it provides clues the audio sample of "down the hill" was taken outdoors as they were walking. IMO.

I'm guessing the phone recorded with highly compressed signal. I'm skeptical the video's audio would even record much beyond what you see.

But then who knows what app is used and if it uses its own specs for recording (which I'm guessing most app's do for performance reasons) even if the phone OS up-samples it for the final file.

I'm guessing that this audio was very limited in dynamic range and was eq'd a bit to emphasize the mids for the voice and then the MP3/OGG/WAV files are just exports at their own default sample rates.

My 2 cents CDN.

Has anyone discussed the technical details of the ISP released audio clip? I searched and cannot find it on this forum.

http://www.in.gov/isp/delphi.htm

There are three file formats, .wav, .ogg, and .mp3

The .mp3 version has a sample rate of 44.1kHz, .wav version has a 8kHz sample rate, and I did not look at the .ogg version uses a 44.1kHz sample rate. There are not many frequencies above 4kHz in the MP3 or OGG versions, even though the sampling rate would permit information up to 22kHz. The max frequency in the WAV version is 4kHz.

Here is a screenshot showing the frequency spectrums for all three versions from Audacity.

In my opinion, the spectrum being mostly limited to 4kHz and below frequencies indicates one or more of the following:
* LE purposely low-pass filtered the audio from a recorded video source
* the audio was recorded using the phone's voice recorder app, which commonly defaults to a 8kHz sample rate
* something I don't understand

attachment.php

IMO, you can hear some wind noise after the turn, and most of all, footsteps. How could it be anything else? Thanks so much, and yes, it's the footsteps on dry ground in the audio released of the BG, too.

That is important because it provides clues the audio sample of "down the hill" was taken outdoors as they were walking. IMO.

This video starts at the end of the bridge and in an approximate location BG may have said "down the hill".

[video=youtube;XzMvbfkhVlw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzMvbfkhVlw[/video]

SO was BG walking with the girls on DRY PATH not forest floor when the tape was made. Weve always thought we were hearing rustling leaves. Maybe it's the sound of walking on the private drive.

In watching these youtube videos...

The comments are interesting.

SO was BG walking with the girls on DRY PATH not forest floor when the tape was made. Weve always thought we were hearing rustling leaves. Maybe it's the sound of walking on the private drive.

See the video just above your post. This is the approximate area one can surmise BG said "down the hill". Just based on timeline and where they were found.

This video starts at the end of the bridge and in an approximate location BG may have said "down the hill".

[video=youtube;XzMvbfkhVlw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzMvbfkhVlw[/video]

It so durn creepy, and more than sad, how we can have so many great minds here playing off each other to get to the truth of how it happened, here in the 21st century.

That being said, as time has gone by, I have ruled some aspects of the POI in and some out, and every post here helps me adjust my thinking.

I feel the POI/BG was stalking the girls. He was at the bridge that day with a goal.

The motive, as I will keep repeating until this creep, or possibly creeps, is arrested is key.

The SA element is so important, although I understand why the investigators have kept that secret. On the other hand, if it wasn't a SA, wouldn't that lead the direction of the investigation in a different way and persuade those who knew the girls with a slight hesitancy to come forward with information on any person who might have wanted to cause either of the girls harm?

People cutting through his property. 50 years on 40 + acres you are used to people possibly accessing the trails from a distance. Same with the bridge. Visiting cemetery and then walking around. Fishing, etc.

He's a seasoned landowner used to people cavorting around on acreage. He wouldn't think twice if someone was out walking and then hopped in a car that pulled up next to them.

I have several acres and I'd never know if anyone cut through my property. Especially the back side of my property. Folks have to get about 200' from my house before my dogs even start barking.

I see what you are saying though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member