IN - Abigail Williams, 13, & Liberty German, 14, Delphi, 13 Feb 2017 #65

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that they had a half day of school, and it was from a pretty reliable source. I'll see if I can find it.

But regardless, even without attending school that morning, kids are touching things all over the place. And as the investigator stated in the interview there are just so many individuals to test. He even talks about how long DNA can stay on a person. We don't only hold DNA from those we have direct contact with. We are basically picking up DNA from all kinds of people, all the time. And testing now can identify a lot more of this touch and transfer DNA than was possible before.

It's actually become a bit of a problem. In some ways its too much info.

I found a pretty reliable source, too.
http://www.theindychannel.com/longform/delphi-daughters-the-untold-story-of-abby-libby

It's also mentioned in post #31 in the media thread.

And I agree with the rest of your original post. We just don't need any more misinformation being spread around, as the ISP detective whose interview is linked in post #168 stated. They were not in school the day they were murdered.

:daisy:

I found a pretty reliable source, too.
http://www.theindychannel.com/longform/delphi-daughters-the-untold-story-of-abby-libby

It's also mentioned in post #31 in the media thread.

And I agree with the rest of your original post. We just don't need any more misinformation being spread around, as the ISP detective whose interview is linked in post #168 stated. They were not in school the day they were murdered.

:daisy:

It really isn't all that relevant to the DNA anyway. It's funny, someone else read the same story I did on another thread. But as a reminder, news stories can get it wrong. So all you can really state, unless you are actually personally in the know, is that the majority of the reports claim this or that happened.

That said, I couldn't find the story I read. It was a well written piece, but for some reason I didn't bookmark it.

DNA should not have been found on their bodies, other than their own DNA, Imo. At their ages, no one would be dressing them or touching their bodies under their clothing, hopefully. So as well as IF unknown DNA was recovered, where it was located is crucial.

Yes it takes time to sort out profiles, but not six months, Imo. By now, they either have a possible perp DNA profile or they do not. I find it hard to believe they are still waiting this long after a double child homicide.
Jmo

I also want to clear up a misconception concerning Libby's phone. LE said the phone was found with the girls. She did not toss away the phone.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

He said in the same general area.

DNA should not have been found on their bodies, other than their own DNA, Imo. At their ages, no one would be dressing them or touching their bodies under their clothing, hopefully. So as well as IF unknown DNA was recovered, where it was located is crucial.

Yes it takes time to sort out profiles, but not six months, Imo. By now, they either have a possible perp DNA profile or they do not. I find it hard to believe they are still waiting this long after a double child homicide.
Jmo

It all depends on if they showered that morning...what they touched. For example (and pardon the bluntness of this), but say one of the girls used a public restroom, and touched the handle to flush, then touched their leg with the same hand while pulling up their pants, DNA might, not definitely, but might be transferred from the last person who flushed to their leg. Tests now are that sensitive. And if Indiana LE is testing the way they indicate they are, samples of DNA that minute are probably popping up and being tested.

DNA testing is amazing. The science has just blown up.

Is there a transcript of both interviews available?
(snipped by me)

I (Spellbound) am working on transcribing the 27 minute interview between Alexis McAdams [A], reporter, and Sgt. Holeman [H]. I will put some time-marks throughout to help you find anything that may be a mistake by me, or to find a section. Alexis talks too fast and her wording is disjointed, so her questions may not be quite verbatim. And it is very much harder to do on an iPad than when I did real transcriptions for a job! (sorry, no time to proofread, please forgive -- when my fingers go numb every 5 minutes or so, there may be a lot of "funny" errors, but I tried to catch them.) I got through about half, but need a long break for making dinner and resting my fingers. Will try to get to the rest later tonight or tomorrow.

27-minute video interview 8/14/2017, Det. Holeman, near bottom of page, two possible sources (I used the second):
http://fox59.com/2017/08/14/lead-detectives-in-delphi-murders-confirms-police-have-more-audio-from-teens-phone-dna-evidence/

https://player.ooyala.com/static/v4...5267225247&pcode=A5YjUyOju0deP9y9BK28b-61JYT5

PART 1
A: so tell me, obviously you guys see this posted all over online, people want to know , you have all this evidence in this case and still six months later no suspect in custody. What would your answer be to the community?

H: Well, it's not like on TV, you know you see on CSI shows that they solve them in two commercial breaks. So it takes a lot of time, and we want to be very thorough, so we want to take our time, make sure our i's are dotted, t's are crossed. This is a tough case. This is a tough case. There's, I think, alleged a lot of evidence, but really we have very little evidence in this case, so we're working with what we have. We're getting a ton of tips, which helps. But some of those tips are misleading and kind of lead us disarray and get us unfocused from where we're headed. So, but I think, it's not from lack of effort. We continue to use all the detectives from State, Federal, and Local agencies and we use all the resources that are available, and we are going to continue to do that. We're not gonna leave, we're, it's not a Cold Case, because we're still getting infomation. So we are gonna continue to work as hard as we can on this.

A: To have .... you say "little evidence", which you know we are not all .... I'm not a detective, I don't want to put the police ... but when you hear umm yeah the guy's voice, that sketch, you've got, you know, possible other audio and video and all these other tips and maybe then the reward money, is that more than people usually have in a case like this?

H: yeah, I think so. I think we, I said we don't have a lot, but we have more than, uhh, more than enough to make a case; but we're just not getting that break yet, you now. We're still getting closer every day; we're eliminating; we're getting a lot of on people that didn't do it and we eliminate those daily. So like I said before, it's the needle in the haystack and we get those tips on so-and-so and we eliminate them by however we do that, and that just takes some other pieces out of the hay so we can focus, and then eventually we're gonna, it's gonna be there. Umm, so we keep working but/and I think uh of people are misled by some of the FB postings, and social media is not as helpful as some people might think so ...

A: So six months ago you got the phone call, I know you talked about this before, who called you and said first Abby Williams and, you know, Libby German were missing?

H: [2:27] umm, I think I got the.... I heard it on the radio actually, and then I called the Sheriff to see if they needed assistance, and he said 'yeah, we probably are gonna need some help.' That was when they were missing; and then, of course, we got our helicopter involved and we were still on the search phase. And then, obviously, when we located them and knew it was a double homicide then we called in other resources throughout-- the State Police and then the FBI, and I know we have had just a ton of resources and people volunteering to help. Which is good. So that's how that started, you know, now we are here. We're still working, we're still motivated and a lot of people .... it is stressful. It's a very stressful case, obviously, and it's very easy to get emotionally tied, but I think everybody involved is still doing well. We're still motivated, we're still optimistic that we are gonna catch this person that's responsible for this, and we're not letting up or giving in or anything like that. We're stronger than ever. We're actually getting more people involved. So, I think, you know, the time is coming, we're getting closer everyday. I know that's cliche', but we are. We're eliminating people and we're working harder than ever.

A: And within the first 48 hours in the case, so here you are, you hear it on the radio, you step in which, thank God that you guys stepped in so quickly, because look how it ended up happening; whwen it first comes out two missing girls, you think two missing girls in a small town, who would have thought this was ever gonna be the case, but ... What was the investigative work that happened in the first 48 hours, without obviously going into too much detail to put the case in jeopardy?

H: Well, I think you secure the scene, you start doing whatever you can; talk to everybody in the area, we have the crime scene investigators there. Just basically the steps that you would do. Collecting videos throughout the areas, doing things like that. Just, you know, from Ground Zero. That's what you would do in any case, you know.... start talking to people, and get out knocking on doors. We call that an area canvass, so because it's a rural area we had to kind of stretch that out a little bit, and so we did maybe a general area canvass initially and maybe a day or two later we spread that out, come back, make sure. 'Cuz it was February so there was still people on vacation or winter "snowbirds" they call them, and so there were still some houses that we didn't make contact right away, so... But we have now, I mean we continue to do that and now six months later we're still getting new tips on people, so we're following up on those. But also, we have a group of detectives who are assigned to go back to make sure we didn't miss anything, so we re-review things and so we're taking it very serious and we're not gonna let anything slip through the cracks. That's your biggest fear, I think, when you're doing an investigation is something might slip through the cracks and we're not gonna let that happen. We have a team of people that keep going back, reviewing and we're getting there. We're working on it harder than ever and we're gonna continue to work hard.

[stopping at 5.32 for now]
[my fingers are totally numb, which means I constantly hit the wrong keys, so I have to take a break. Will continue as soon as I can]
=============================
PART 2:
A: [5.34] When the people come forward that mentioned, you know, because that sketch behind you is pretty detailed, like we said, and the guy that did it is obviously unbelievably talented because he maybe didn't have a bunch of information but it's unbelievable what they could come up with, right, and make it into this composite sketch that could end up helping crack the case. But, when did those people come forward that said that they saw him possibly near the trail?

H: Well, that's a good question. It's actually compiled, it's not just from one person, so we've had several people say that they saw the person that we identified through the video that we obtained off of Liberty's phone. And we put that out so once people saw that photo then they said "oh I saw that guy; I saw that guy." We have to determine 'is that the guy they saw' first of all, and if it is then let's work together. So, we were getting calls that night, and throughout the last couple months. Some people don't watch the news. Some people don't really follow what's going on . So some of them were sooner-than-later, um. But then we took our time with that. We took our time, we interviewed the composite drawing itself took probably 2/12 to 3 weeks, because we wanted to make sure ourselves that it was exactly right at the people had recalled that. So, um, we have been, I think, getting better tips. Obviously the first photo is pretty hard to see. It's pixelated pretty bad, and this is pretty detailed. We want to make sure that people know this might not look exactly like the person, but it's gonna have similar facial features. So, this is just what the person or persons that we've interviewed over the last several months believe this is what this guy looked like. There's four of us in this room right now. If somebody walked into this room for 30 seconds and left, we'd all have different drawings, but I think the facial features and the major identifiers we would all get right. So, that's what we're hoping, that this gives us a little more guidance, a little more not-as-vague. And it's helping. We are getting better tips. We're still getting some not-so-good tips, I would say. But we're getting a little better tips from this composite drawing.

A: [7.45]. is it a few people kind of , possibly that saw him, or there was more than a couple that called in, right?

H: Yeah. There's ... I would say that's a good statement, there's more than a few that said they saw him. Now, I guess we have to determine there was other people on that trail, or they actually seen that guy is responsible for this, or they seen somebody else that was just out there walking.

A: In time-frame-wise, how long do you think he was out there that day, and have you just kind of stopped by, tried to find if he was planning this, tried to find somebody that was walking off the trail and thought 'hey, this would be a good target", or was he just out there for a little bit?

H: I wish I could tell you that. I have theories, but we, you know, the evidence is pretty... like I said, the evidence doesn't really indicate how long or if he was a traveler or local, and some of that we just speculate on. We can't say he is or isn't. But we just have to go off that evidence that we have; the composite drawing, the video, the audio, and just continue to rely on the community. I still believe somebody knows, somebody knows what happened. For whatever reason, they won't come forward, and we wish they would, obviously.... because this person's probably gonna do this again and I'd hate for that to happen to you or your loved ones. That's the message that I want to get out to the public, that if you do know, for sure you need to let us know so we can possibly stop this from happening again to your daughter, or your mother, or sister, or anybody. Could be brother or father as well, so...
[numb finger break time]

A: [9.21] And personality traits in a person like this, and that's I think what people have thought about before and maybe him, if there was just one person, is this the guy that was able to get both of these little girls in the woods and do these, you know, brutally murder them, do you think he possibly has done this before?

H: Uh, he could be, you know, that's, again, just kind of our theory or speculation, we have no evidence that he's done it again. But we do keep that in mind. We do check with other states to see if they have anything close; and obviously the case in Iowa is the closest; but they don't even know the cause of death in that one because they didn't find the victims until later. So, it's hard to compare. But it is similar, but, so, we have taken that into consideration as well, and we have investigated that. We've been in contact with Iowa and they have been in contact with us, and we've discussed that, but nothing else seems to be popping up around the nation that is similar to this. But that doesn't mean he is gonna kill everybody the same way every time, so (shrugs), we don't know.

A: When you walked down and I walked through, that was private property right where the bodies were found. Looking at it logistically from where they were on the bridge and to where their bodies were found, I know we talked about the terrain in the past. I know it's not an easy thing to navigate. Usually you might have to be familiar with the area. I mean, would it have been difficult for the girls to from where they were on the bridge to where they were found?

H: [10:49] Yeah. Absolutely. I think it would be difficult, obviously. They have to go through some pretty steep terrain in a wooded area, sticker bushes and things like that, so it's uh ... and then to cross the creek. The creek, and obviously it's February, it's probably not the warmest . The weather was a warm day that day, but still the water temperature is probably cooler than the air temperature. So yeah, it would have been difficult for .... I mean, I don't think anybody, say on a walk, would walk that way.

A: Walking back that way, obviously I wasn't even there when you guys found all these horrible things at the crime scene. But even just walking through the area you get like a eerie feeling, almost feel sick to your stomach because you think about what Abby & Libby went through, and the families are going through, and the fact that he's still out there. You had to go to the crime scene, and like, I mean you covered, I'm sure, dozens of murder cases but this has probably been one of the hardest for you, having kids, as well. I mean, did you get a sick feeling as soon as you had to go there?

H: Oh yeah. I think everybody -- obviously when two young girls are brutally murdered and you are there to investigate it and see what you have to see and do what you have to do, you become emotionally tied to it and you think about your family and friends. But I think what keeps me going is I try ..... I've said this a million times.... you try to put yourself in these families' shoes and you just can't do it. I can't imagine what they are going through. So I try to put my emotions aside and focus on the evidence and focus on how can we bring justice for Abby & Libby, and for the families. I mean, is that gonna do it if we make an arrest? I think it will help; like anything can bring them back, obviously. I don't think anything can ever make things like they were before the 13th. It's never gonna happen. But we want to try and bring some closure to the families for the girls. And so, even though we are all trained professionals and we've done this many times, it's still hard, it's still hard to shut your brain off at night and go visit with your grandkids or visit with you family and not think about it constantly. So it's difficult, but you know, we are here for a reason. We're here to find out who did this, and that's what we have to keep telling ourselves and keep being re-motivated and motivated to do that. And that's what we're gonna do.

[13.13]

Spellbound - You beat me to it. I was planning on working on it tomorrow by playing it on my iPad and transcribing from my laptop. I also used to do machine transcription (and loved it) and it sure would be nice to have this on tape to use with a machine!

We have additional facts now:

- the girls crossed the creek,

- more than one person saw BG,

- Libby's phone was found.

Three issues we can lay to rest.

Spellbound, you are the best! Thank you for transcribing. :takeabow:

Just dropping in again. You're all doing great work here, sharing ideas and keeping this case out there in social media.

With the latest information (great transcription, Spellbound!) here's my 2 cents :cow:

Sounds likely they're pretty sure they have BG's DNA profile

It doesn't match any DNA in CODIS

They may have narrowed to a list of suspects, none of whom have DNA profiles in the system

Short of someone close to the perp turning him in, they could use a court order for familial DNA (from a close relative) who is incarcerated and/or has a DNA profile in CODIS . Assume to do that, they need to narrow it down to 1 suspect and have enough additional evidence to convince a judge.

The FBI and county prosecutors recently used this tactic to arrest Justin Andrew Christian, who kidnapped and molested a young girl in Cuyahoga County.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/crime/arrested-alleged-kidnapper-busted-after-months-on-the-run/362988688

JMO, Det. Holeman seems convinced someone knows the perp, but is holding back. Having them come forward would be the best option, but the next best may be familial DNA. Just a guess.

Also, the witnesses seeing the perp in Missouri is interesting. Hadn't heard that.

:cow:

Well, you can pick up where I left off or I can continue. It is HARD without my machine to pause. Going back just a few seconds is really difficult when you have two screens to deal with!

FWIW .... apparently someone has already copy/pasted this to TOPIX and I am one very unhappy camper! :fuse::fuse: Do you even have a clue how hard it is to do without a proper machine, and with arthritic fingers? Now, if they asked me first, I may have said "go ahead" but without permission of the poster that is really rudeness to the max. :sheesh:

JMO

This is pure speculation. I'm a big believer in brainstorming and a few things I thought about while thinking about if BG "got lucky" and just happened to be there at the same time.

There are trail cams (I know cell service is questionable in the area) that send SMS or emails to an account when pictures are taken. It's possible he had a cam set up and was near enough to get a notification that the girls were there and act on it.

Also, while searching for the white object around his neck area, I found back pack type harnesses that hold drones. This type of set-up could have been used to scout the area.

Very unlikely, I know. Just thinking...

We would know by now if a trail cam was left behind by the perp.

LE and other sources confirmed early on that there were no trail cams in the area when these crimes happened.

I'd wondered early on if there were any trail cams at the SE end of the bridge, where the abduction started. LE, locals, and folks who went to the scene early on reported there were no trail cams, so I figured the images of BG must have come from a cell phone video file.

If the perp had used a trail cam, it would have been difficult for him to then retrieve it without being seen, although that's JMO.

MOO is it was simpler, in so far as the surveillance of the bridge area. Line of sight or maybe binoculars, nothing more.

JMO

I was fortunate to be professionally involved with a brilliant man who was at the Brookings Institute brainstorming crime, criminals, cause and effect, etc. I haven't got a cite to his words but over dinner one night he told me that these types of killers go out shopping for victims. Their 'malls' are where they preferred victim type is likely to be, and in a situation where contact is likely to not be seen by others.

I think BG was shopping the trails, knowing that lone females would be there, and these 2 little girls presented a perfect opportunity. Small, vulnerable, alone, innocent, naive and remote from peering eyes.

That sounds right. Makes me think if Ted Bundy, who literally trolled malls (among other places) in search of his preferred victim - attractive women around 19 or 20.

The only thing about that is that Ive always had some issues with it being February. I live in a neighboring state, and while it wouldnt be unheard of to go for a walk or hike on an unseasonably warm day, yes, we get sick of being a bit shut up inside heated buildings all winter, it still seems to me like a hell of a longshot for BG to choose to go there hoping to find young female victim(s). Unless he is a local who knows that (apparently?) High school kids hang out there.

Im curious what Sgt Holman's hunch was about this (in response to Alexis McAdam).

Time and time again, LE has stressed the importance of protecting the integrity of the investigation. Saying whoever did this is the only one/ones who know the details. Holeman said in one interview that when they take this case to court, they have to be able to say the accused is the one one who knows these details. What's to say the killer will ever admit knowing the details?

I think they don't have DNA and Holeman said they have very little evidence; IMO, that's why protecting the integrity of the investigation is so important.

Just dropping in again. You're all doing great work here, sharing ideas and keeping this case out there in social media.

With the latest information (great transcription, Spellbound!) here's my 2 cents :cow:

Sounds likely they're pretty sure they have BG's DNA profile

It doesn't match any DNA in CODIS

They may have narrowed to a list of suspects, none of whom have DNA profiles in the system

Short of someone close to the perp turning him in, they could use a court order for familial DNA (from a close relative) who is incarcerated and/or has a DNA profile in CODIS . Assume to do that, they need to narrow it down to 1 suspect and have enough additional evidence to convince a judge.

The FBI and county prosecutors recently used this tactic to arrest Justin Andrew Christian, who kidnapped and molested a young girl in Cuyahoga County.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/crime/arrested-alleged-kidnapper-busted-after-months-on-the-run/362988688

JMO, Det. Holeman seems convinced someone knows the perp, but is holding back. Having them come forward would be the best option, but the next best may be familial DNA. Just a guess.

Also, the witnesses seeing the perp in Missouri is interesting. Hadn't heard that.

:cow:

She didn't say Missouri. Listen again.

This immediately made me think of the guy who is in jail for drinking and breaking his probation! Can't think of his initials, he lives in the house on the property by the bridge/trails.

I don't think he had a thing to do with the murders! However....., the way LE treated him and put him in jail so fast and the judge gave him the long sentence, something is quirky about all that, IMO. I feel he knows something and is afraid to talk.

Consequently, LE has him behind bars, in a safe environment. I bet he is not in general population!

My opinions only.
What? Who is this person of which you speak?

Noting.. for the umpteenth time.... LE said to DISREGARD cap/hat.

:moo:

Well, that is just too bad. I tipped an Indiana bad guy who wears a newsboy hat just like the one in the sketch that is grey in color.

Spellbound,

Thank-you SO much for enduring the numbness to transcribe some of that interview.

It is critically important to have concise information when trying to understand this case. It's a very worthwhile task you have done, and even if it is pasted elsewhere, at least people will be basing their thoughts on exactly what was said. It's kind of line the telephone game alot of times.

HUGE thanks and hats off!

WG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads