Huge Fire In Malibu (ca) *merged threads*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wow it just got real smokey smelling here..I'll go check it out.
I am directly on the north side of Camp Pendleton.
Here is what it looks like towards CP:

fire010.jpg

If you're looking at Camp Pendleton from San Clemente, you're looking directly towards the Fallbrook fire. It's very bad, most of Fallbrook has either been told to leave or to get ready to leave.

I think the problem is that huge brushfires have become so commonplace here in the west that most of the nation treats it like old news. Every year there's some fire that burns out of control, and to everyone else it's like been there, done that, as if we're being blamed for knowing the risks and choosing to live here anyway.
You're right Cali, they do often think it's no biggie.

I did get a phone call from a friend in Vero Beach, FL however last night. She knows I have family in Carlsbad and surrounding area and I'm close to the fires going on up the hill. She said she was reading about it online, not seeing it on the news.

I think what many do not realize is that many of these places burning have never burned and that is part of the problem.

So true. In the past these areas would've been naturally set on fire (lightning strikes, etc.) and burned, getting rid of the underbrush built up over many decades. Now it can't burn because it will take people's homes with it.

If you're looking at Camp Pendleton from San Clemente, you're looking directly towards the Fallbrook fire. It's very bad, most of Fallbrook has either been told to leave or to get ready to leave.
That is exactly my vantage point. I live where San Clemente-Dana POint and San Juan come together. My view is to the south-east towards the Fallbrook.

I've not been able to get through to my friend who sent the email yesterday when they were evacuating Fallbrook. I only have his cell number so hopefully he will be able to send another email from somewhere else.

So true. In the past these areas would've been naturally set on fire (lightning strikes, etc.) and burned, getting rid of the underbrush built up over many decades. Now it can't burn because it will take people's homes with it.
They are setting a LOT of control fires now and those always make me nervous. I get it, but it is still frightening.

They are setting a LOT of control fires now and those always make me nervous. I get it, but it is still frightening.

I wonder why they don't use controlled burns in the winter months when there is little chance of the fire getting out of control. I could see them going into the backcountry after a rain, digging firebreaks and burning some of the chapparral that would probably burn in the next Santa Ana.

I wonder why they don't use controlled burns in the winter months when there is little chance of the fire getting out of control. I could see them going into the backcountry after a rain, digging firebreaks and burning some of the chapparral that would probably burn in the next Santa Ana.
I think they do to a degree..but maybe with the drought they just haven't. Don't know CaliK.
My neighborhood has a terrible acacia problem. originally ground cover,it has been allowed to grow and grow and grow without being cut back. At this point it is holding up the whole community! IOW, if it were to be removed it would cause slide issues.So it would have to be replaced with another plant and would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars as a community. but it is dry and a single spark would set the neighborhood on fire. I removed all the acacia around my house but had to put up a retaining wall to support.

Hey guys I just got this CNN alert in my email! I am praying for all these people. WS Friends, if there is ANYTHING I can do from Indy to help please dont hesitate. I dont have any money but I can make phone calls to family to let them know yall are okay! Just PM or email me, if you dont have my email already just ask!! I love you guys please stay safe!!

Wildfires have now forced 321,000 people from their homes, California officials say.

Hey guys I just got this CNN alert in my email! I am praying for all these people. WS Friends, if there is ANYTHING I can do from Indy to help please dont hesitate. I dont have any money but I can make phone calls to family to let them know yall are okay! Just PM or email me, if you dont have my email already just ask!! I love you guys please stay safe!!

Wildfires have now forced 321,000 people from their homes, California officials say.
that 321 is probably just in SD county alone.

I think the problem is that huge brushfires have become so commonplace here in the west that most of the nation treats it like old news. Every year there's some fire that burns out of control, and to everyone else it's like been there, done that, as if we're being blamed for knowing the risks and choosing to live here anyway.

Hey Calikid - Just wanted you to know, I am in upstate NY & we are following these events way over here on the right coast. I can hardly believe what you guys are going through, & it is obvious to me this is not your normal 'brush fire'. You guys are in my thoughts...

OH here is something I haven't run into before.
I am trying to close 3 houses in Riverside. I just got notice from WAMU that they are suspending all loan funding until further notice due to the fires.

Modjeska fire just jumped Modjeska road and THAT is bad.

OH here is something I haven't run into before.
I am trying to close 3 houses in Riverside. I just got notice from WAMU that they are suspending all loan funding until further notice due to the fires.
Oh no, what about what you have going up in the Yucaipa area?

Modjeska Cyn fire has just taken off and possibly 100's of homes are either burning or in immediate peril.
The canyon has just ignited before the firefighters very eyes and there is nothing they can do.

ETA: the fire jumped the canyon and they pulled all the firefighers out as well as media.

ETA again: they are trying to get firefighters up there again.

Wildfire: The latest on the Santiago fire

<LI class=style6>Fire officials in Modjeska Canyon say they're worried they may lose 25 to 30 houses as winds swirl through the area. - 11:02 a.m.
<LI class=style6>People are finding it hard to board their animals. The O.C. Fairgounds. Small animals can be taken to El Toro High School or the Orange County Animal Shelter off of The City Drive. For large animals, call the animal care hotline at (714) 935-7158. - 10:50 a.m.
<LI class=style6>Kirk Wells, OCFA battalion chief, said they dont have enough hand crews to get out into the canyon where the flames currently are. Firefighters are stationed near homes up on a hill ready to battle flames should the homes be in danger. He said they don't have helicopters available to deliver water. Although there are no homes in imminent danger, flames can be seen as close to 50 feet from homes in Portola Hills. - 10:13 a.m. ocregister.com

Wildfire: The latest on the Santiago fire

<LI class=style6>Fire officials in Modjeska Canyon say they're worried they may lose 25 to 30 houses as winds swirl through the area. - 11:02 a.m.
<LI class=style6>People are finding it hard to board their animals. The O.C. Fairgounds. Small animals can be taken to El Toro High School or the Orange County Animal Shelter off of The City Drive. For large animals, call the animal care hotline at (714) 935-7158. - 10:50 a.m.
<LI class=style6>Kirk Wells, OCFA battalion chief, said they dont have enough hand crews to get out into the canyon where the flames currently are. Firefighters are stationed near homes up on a hill ready to battle flames should the homes be in danger. He said they don't have helicopters available to deliver water. Although there are no homes in imminent danger, flames can be seen as close to 50 feet from homes in Portola Hills. - 10:13 a.m. ocregister.com

EEK!!!! I can see the smoke from here
:(

Hey Calikid - Just wanted you to know, I am in upstate NY & we are following these events way over here on the right coast. I can hardly believe what you guys are going through, & it is obvious to me this is not your normal 'brush fire'. You guys are in my thoughts...

Thanks- everyone. Yes, please pray that the winds subside. We need to get our fixed-wing planes in the air to drop fire retardant on the flames. It's just too dangerous to send them up.

This is so much worse than the Cedar Fire 4 years ago. The winds in 2003 subsided within one day, but we'll be in red alert until 3:00 tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23