Watching Motions Hearing Live on Friday 10-10-08

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did JB or CA ever hear of using maps??? What has she been doing in his office- ALL this time- for weeks on end- for 6 hours a day??? I hope the judge denies this motion for errands. I am so annoyed with this motion! Its rediculous that she hasnt showed him those points of interest ever in all this time!! it does not require a road trip IMO!!

SNIPPED: "...How much weight does the judge assign to the "nothing to lose" factor?

Highly. She's not tied to the community through work or schools or owning anything, someone else put up her bond $, etc. I cannot imagine Judge S allowing what's been asked, but then again, I don't practice in FL and don't know his leanings. ;)

:clap:

I honestly fear of her messing with evidence or trying to move the body. I can't see that it would happen with Baez and the bail bondsmen there with her, but I just can't get past that one.

In addition to this fear...

Several people think a plea agreement is possible in the future. If you were KC (hard to imagine, I know) and you did dispose of your daughter's body, wouldn't you want to know if it was still "findable" BEFORE you made a plea decision?

Would you desperately be working JB to get unsupervised private time so you could then work to find some way to get close enough so you could check to see if body is still there, far enough away that JB and bail guy wouldn't see exactly where you're looking?

I think she's desperate to look at the "spot" and that she thinks she's smart enough to pull it off if she can just get "private time."

I don't know if this has been posted yet or not..

Shortly after the hearing ended, the Anthony family released the following statement: "Judge Strickland's decision today to grant access to all of the tips regarding Caylee's sightings is a victory for Caylee Marie. This is the first step in bringing Caylee home safely."

IMHO, any attorney first must learn the basics of trial prep, which is the discovery process and motion practice. JB seems not to have much experience here, which si why the judge had to keep telling him to do go his own legwork, footwork, etc. I'm certainly not taking personal attacks, but he doesn't seem to used to discovery/motion practice. Point being, he'd have had a lot of what he filed motions over had he asked the prosecution properly. :)

Didn't the prosecution write him a long time ago, about setting up discovery? Didn't he refuse to answer the letter?

And, what's all this about the Grand Jury process being one sided? It's NOT a trial.

He first said later on today then changed it to Monday sometime to announce he decision

I wonder if we can write letters to the judge about this and if he would take any of it into consideration.

Isn't Monday Columbus Day? They'll be in session then?

I don't have the answers as to why Casey didn't search initially or "effectively" search initially, why she led LE in circles, or why she wants to do it now. As we all know, Casey has the answers to the questions and she has obviously made some errors in judgement. With that being said...I don't think it's EVER too late to help in the search of a missing child.

Agree in part, as I'd love to see Caylee found, and because my post was not arguing with you but simply saying that you're giving JB too much credit (I don't think your well-thought "purposes" were on his mind,) but I don't think it's in anyone's best interests to allow Casey out and about in secrecy. I believe she's now at a point such that she may, depending upon how seriously she and her counsel take the word of a GJ convening next Tues, to begin consciously thinking about taking her own life, what with the potential for life imprisonment looming. ;)

She trusted LE enough when she called 911 twice during a protester engagement with her parents, and demanded they hurry up.

If Casey is telling the truth about fear for safety, there is a huge difference in protection from protestors and protection from whoever it is that Casey is afraid of.

I agree with you Salem. He must not be that incompentent because he got most of the motions he asked for approved.

Most of the motions he asked for he could have easily gotten had he followed the laws of discovery. Also, any time you make a motion you cite previous cases. Did anyone hear him cite one? I counted over 67 "uhms and ahhhs" until I stopped counting.

Allowing his client to wear items purchased with stolen checks and hiring that PR firm who has no grasp of the english language makes me question his judgement.

Saying my client will not tell anything she knows if it will give her the death penalty is ill advised from a PR standpoint. HE tainted the jury pool with that statement. As a "joe-smoe" that infers to me that there are things she is hiding.

Shortly after the hearing ended, the Anthony family released the following statement: "Judge Strickland's decision today to grant access to all of the tips regarding Caylee's sightings is a victory for Caylee Marie. This is the first step in bringing Caylee home safely."

oy. :furious:

In addition to this fear...

Several people think a plea agreement is possible in the future. If you were KC (hard to imagine, I know) and you did dispose of your daughter's body, wouldn't you want to know if it was still "findable" BEFORE you made a plea decision?

Would you desperately be working JB to get unsupervised private time so you could then work to find some way to get close enough so you could check to see if body is still there, far enough away that JB and bail guy wouldn't see exactly where you're looking?

I think she's desperate to look at the "spot" and that she thinks she's smart enough to pull it off if she can just get "private time."

I think you're right. I think KC thinks the judge will just... let her go her way, until the trial. Amazing!

I agree with you Salem. He must not be that incompentent because he got most of the motions he asked for approved.

Being given stuff which is mandated by a rule of criminal procedure is not a reflection of competence or lack of competence of anyone but the judge who is trying to get both sides to comply with those rules. :gavel:

I doubt a pro se inmate with hand-written motions would have had a drastically different outcome!!! :deal:

jmho

The State Atty. said herself that the majority of "tips" came from Cindy Anthony herself. Good Grief.

If at this late date they consider this the "first step" (having the state turn over to them the tips that they turned into the state), what is it they think they've been doing for three months?

No kidding. I really want to know who/what is bankrolling the KC defense train. National experts, defense attorney (he isn't her appointed public defender, is he?), and in addition somehow she's magically bonded out on a $500,000.00 bond. Inquiring minds want to know who has the deep pockets, and why?

JB (via KC) likely received $200-250K for defense fund from ABC for the 20/20 videos/photos. Add to that however much he gets for exclusive interviews like recently on NBC/Today. Finally, add to that however much he receives for any inside information he funnels to the media.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2785107#post2785107

I believe Casey is entitled to a defense, and my comments go specifically to the manner in which JB is preparing and presenting same to date.

If you go through some of my posts on this thread, my main criticisms of JB are that he has filed motions asking for:

(1) things to which the defense is clearly entitled to, such as production of certain exculpatory materials and information regarding the charges contained in the bill of information that has been filed, to which the judge himself had to remind JB he had to "do your own legwork," and that JB had to first ASK prosecution for these materials.

I'd love to see the opposition brief filed by the state on this, as I have a suspicious feeling JB didn't even send over what I'd deem tailored/drafted discovery requests. If JB sent any at all, he probably sent a general blanket request and assumed (incorrectly) that he'd get what is sometimes referred to by criminal attorneys as "open file" discovery, which occurs a lot of times in criminal, though not capital, cases, wherein all attorneys involved simply agree that, to save time and resources (eg, avoiding going through all of the usual drafting of tailored, written discovery requests for information and things and/or entry upon land for testing, etc., responding in kind to said written discovery requests, potential motions on same, etc.,) that they'll simply share what they have in their files.

I think this is why JB keeps complaining that his client is already facing murder charges - he's been used to getting things from the prosecution without having to go through all of the proper procedural steps for getting same and now that he's having to actually put the code of procedure to use, he doesn't know quite where to start. Cases are won or lost in the discovery process. To me, this is what sets apart seasoned counsel from the rest of the herd.

and (2) my other criticism of JB is that he's waited so long to ask for things to which the defense isn't clearly entitled to, either at all and/or at this juncture in the proceedings against Casey. Asking to test the samples of DNA, etc., either right after the state indicting/arresting Casey or immediately following his being retained would have been the appropriate time to files these kinds of what I like to call "protective" motions. If the defense thinks they're entitled to this relief prior to any indictment/bill of information being filed for murder, then why not file this IMMEDIATELY following Casey's initial arrests for child neglect/fraud? Had they done so, and had the judge happened to agree, they'd have been on the same footing from the get-go. Instead, we have JB waiting until now, right before there's to be a GJ convened next week, meaning much, if not all, of such evidence has been tested and processed and there was either enough to go around in the beginning, when it was collected, or there wasn't. Too little, too late, IMHO.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Didn't the prosecution write him a long time ago, about setting up discovery? Didn't he refuse to answer the letter?

And, what's all this about the Grand Jury process being one sided? It's NOT a trial.

It wouldn't surprise me if that happened. JB seems to be used to the relaxed protocol in a courtroom - not the highly charged atmoshpere where one must really move around/have a lot of dexterity (HAHA) with the codes of criminal procedure & evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IamNobody