VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Unidentified male, 26 June 1995 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think daniel sheppard looks alot like him.

Me too. I think it is a very good possibility that our Grateful Dead Fan is Daniel Nicholas Sheppard. I find it hard waiting, can't imagine what the families go through.

I received an email fro the Virgina Medical Examiner's office and they are going to contact the Australian Federal Police and ask for fingerprints to see if Missing Daniel Nicholas Sheppard is our Grateful Dead Fan. Here is the email.

Cc: ocme.centinv@vdh.virginia.gov

Hello Ms. ,

We have received your e-mail regarding our unidentified white male from 1995. Have you been in contact with the police who investigated the missing persons case of Daniel Sheppard? Can you provide us with their contact info so that we may call them and possible obtain dental records or fingerprints?
Thank you for your help!

Bridget Kinnier

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1466dmsau.html

--Both GDF and Daniel Sheppard have fingerprints on file so I am hoping to find out if there is a match and will post any updates here.

fantastic! its so good that they responded quickly and are willing to work w/the Australian police!

fantastic! its so good that they responded quickly and are willing to work w/the Australian police!

blue, I originally sent the possible match to the wrong division of the Virginia Medical Examiner's office. A very efficient and kind woman emailed me back saying she was gong to make sure the proper office recieved the info. They did and quick. Thank you Donna Price.

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 10:04:59 -0400
Subject: Re: FW: Unidentified possible as Daniel Sheppard?

OCME_CENT@vdh.virginia.gov

Ms. Dee:

I have forwarded your request for information to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, Central District, located in Richmond, Virginia. The Central District covers Greensville County and will be able to answer your query.
Thank you,
Donna

Donna Price aslo would like to be kept updated on this case. This young man has many people thinking of him and caring about him.

Here is a snippet of another email from Ms. Price.

Please keep me posted.
Donna
Donna.Price@vdh.virginia.gov

Makes me wonder if he indeed did miss a ride with someone (ie, the Carolines) who may have had some of his stuff with them.

I have always wondered if he had a backpack in the van that was thrown out of the vehicle. I grew up on a road that was common for uncommon accidents if that makes sence, Stuff gets tossed everywhere sometimes. A few months ago it took resuse workers 45 minutes to find a leg and they knew what they where looking. I could see a BackPack that they didnt know existed in an acident with two fatalities getting overlooked. Even if they went back later to look for something.
The note thing leads me to think that if he recieved the note somehow then his stuff would of been handed over then if the caroline's had it. Or the note was supposed to be passed on the someone else.

Anybody know our chances of getting the name of the towing compny that towed this van? who would of cleaned the personal contents of the van? who where they released to?

I'd say that you don't necessarily have to have your ID to get alcohol, especially in the Grateful Dead environment. Plenty of people are willing to share food, shelter, alcohol, drugs, and whatever else their fellow Deadheads would need.

So far as "responsible parents," his lifestyle could very easily have led to an estrangement. Many people are not close to their families and can go months or years without communication. It's not that uncommon.

I am just starting to read about this case, but if it turns out Daniel Sheppard is not the Grateful Dead Fan, I know that Sirius Radio broadcasts via our Dish T.V. Network a Grateful Dead channel. They play the Dead, 24/7 and I believe the playlist is based on fans requests.

If I remember correctly, they even have little blurbs where the hosts talk briefly, or play the phone calls of people explaining their requests. Now I don't know how willing they would be to get involved, but if they would, this might reach a broader base of people, or reach people who may not of heard of this case but would find it relevant. I am usually just a lurker but I thought this might be a possible source of exposure if it is still needed.

Hopefully, the identity of GDF is being verified now, as it is so sad to think this young man passed without anyone who cared about him knowing.

I was reading more info. on Jason Doe, and I started wondering how did they determine his age?

If it was just by looks, I would say people should start looking at websites featuring adults between 22-26, even though it says his maximum age is 21. The reason is that as I am sure you know a lot of cases aren't solved because people are looking for the wrong age. Also, a lot of parents would be worried about their 16 year old missing but if Jason was 25 or 26 he may not have had contact with his parents anyways so they may not even know he is missing.

I know a lot of this has been said before, and I would love to search but I can't.

I am just starting to read about this case, but if it turns out Daniel Sheppard is not the Grateful Dead Fan, I know that Sirius Radio broadcasts via our Dish T.V. Network a Grateful Dead channel. They play the Dead, 24/7 and I believe the playlist is based on fans requests.

If I remember correctly, they even have little blurbs where the hosts talk briefly, or play the phone calls of people explaining their requests. Now I don't know how willing they would be to get involved, but if they would, this might reach a broader base of people, or reach people who may not of heard of this case but would find it relevant. I am usually just a lurker but I thought this might be a possible source of exposure if it is still needed.

Hopefully, the identity of GDF is being verified now, as it is so sad to think this young man passed without anyone who cared about him knowing.

Jesikah, any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

I received a reply from the Virginia Medical Examiner's Office and they can't get a hold of anyone in Australia who has access to the file of missing Daniel Sheppard to get the fingerprints to see if they match that of our GDF here. Does anyone know of any other avenue to search for a contact person in Australia?
Sent:September 23, 2008 12:04:25 PMTo:

Hello xxxx,
Please let us know if anyone responds to your tip. If they do, can you please provide us with their contact info? And also, can you provide them with the Virginia OCME's Central District contact info? (804-786-3174, ask for any on duty investigator) Until that time we are unable to reach anyone in Australia. We will continue to check on the status of your report to them, but at this time it simply says that the "Report is under investigation."
Thank you.

This is general discussion thread. To talk about something that doesn't already have a thread started.

The idea of a forum is to spread out. Have specific topics to dig deeper.

Just some tips.

If you have a possible match. Post it in the possible match thread to see what others think. Best to posts stats, side by side, compare.

If it needs more discussion, start a NEW thread ....

Everything get's jumbled this way. It's best to have each 'subject', each 'possible match' in it's own thread so that info isn't running into eachother.

I'll take a look around on Ebay for the shirt tomorrow. Even is there isn't one listed right now, there might be sometime in the near future.

The reason I started thinking about the shirt is because I was wondering, if Jason purchased the shirt at that show, what happened to the one he was wearing before he bought it? Where were his other belongings? Even if you're on a short road trip, you usually bring a change of clothes in a backpack or something.

Makes me wonder if he indeed did miss a ride with someone (ie, the Carolines) who may have had some of his stuff with them.

I thought the same thing re:absence of backpack. I traveled with the Dead and the rainbow tribe for some time in the late 80s/early 90s and it wasn't uncommon for local people to pop in to a show or two with just the clothes on one's back, just for a day or two, esp. if they came to swing drugs(it was suggested that Jason might have dealt drugs by a person that recognized his doe portrait). Furthermore, his whole outfit doesn't really suggest a hardcore tour rat(from my experience.)
I'm even more curious as to why the number didn't pan out - since the prefix could be a D.C. number, and that's where the show was held, wouldn't it make sense to call it using a D.C. area code? Even 10 years ago, you could get prefix information in the public library pretty easily! LE ever say what they DID do with the number? I'd love to have all the digits, b/c even now, one could find records from the phone co. about who had that number in D.C. then!

http://unsolvedgratefuldeadfans.homestead.com/index.html

Has this website been posted here? It is an entire site dedicated to people who have disappeared or have been murdered who all the The Grateful Dead in common whether it was following the band, had just been to a show, was found with items intimating they knew the band and liked them, etc, etc.

http://unsolvedgratefuldeadfans.homestead.com/index.html

Has this website been posted here? It is an entire site dedicated to people who have disappeared or have been murdered who all the The Grateful Dead in common whether it was following the band, had just been to a show, was found with items intimating they knew the band and liked them, etc, etc.

hi--yes Patience posted it here:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70883

*sigh* this is really bugging me...i so want this kid to be id'd.

Re: the Internet message from 1996 from someone looking for a Jason so he could return his tools... Is there any way to contact him now and see if he still has the tools? It's a long shot, but if he's been storing instead of using them all this time they could still bear their owner's fingerprints. Was there any mention on the autopsy report of callouses on Jason's fingers that might mean he used tools as part of a full-time job or hobby?

Also, even if you were so embarrassed or angry about your child's lifestyle that you were reluctant to claim his body, wouldn't you do it anyway because you'd have neighbors, classmates/alumnae, parishioners from your church, etc. pointing out that that police sketch that's been all over the news bears a strong resemblance to your missing son?

Could his parents have moved away soon after the sketch was released to a new town where nobody need know they ever had a son? That sounds a bit extreme. Or did they believe the sketch wasn't close enough to their son's likeness to cause suspicion?

Either way, it's hard to imagine they would allow LE to spend time and money on this case 12 years later just to avoid claiming a body. I hope none of the above scenarios are true.

I recall reading that the driver, Michael Hagar, and ''Jason'' stopped at Hagar's home at some point on their trip. But that doesn't make sense because it is my understanding that Hagar was heading home to Inman S.C. and the accident occured in VA. Could someone clarify this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth