New developments in unsolved Jennings murders

I made this post on the InSession board and wanted to post it here as well. I sense that Brittney's murder had a different motive than the other killings. According to an 11/16/08 article in the Lafayette Daily Advertiser ( by Tina Marie Macias • tmacias@theadvertiser.com) Brittney Gary and her family had returned to Jennings less than a week earlier after living with family in Houston and Lufkin, Texas, for four months. So they were not away from Jennings very long at all.

To me, this murder seems almost a "warning kill" for lack of a better term. The private investigator, Kirk Menard, was hired on or about Monday, Oct 27th per his post here. Brittney goes missing a week later on Sun, Nov 2nd. So basically, the PI is hired about the same time the Gary's returned to Jennings. It's as if the killer was sending a message to those that might have valuable information about the murders that they had better keep their mouths shut.

? for those in the know....is it usual for LE to call it a cold case as Edwards did?

It's just pure laziness and stupidity on Edwards' part.

""It was a cold case when we got it," he said. "The body had been there for three or four days,.."

..maybe he meant to say the body was cold..

I made this post on the InSession board and wanted to post it here as well. I sense that Brittney's murder had a different motive than the other killings. According to this article, when Brittney Gary went missing, the Garys had returned to Jennings less than a week earlier after living with family in Houston and Lufkin, Texas, for four months. So they were not away from Jennings very long at all.

To me, this murder seems almost a "warning kill" for lack of a better term. The private investigator, Kirk Menard, was hired on or about Monday, Oct 27th per his post here. Brittney goes missing a week later on Sun, Nov 2nd. So basically, the PI is hired about the same time the Gary's returned to Jennings. It's as if the killer was sending a message to those that might have valuable information about the murders that they had better keep their mouths shut.

The article at link has expired, mahmoo. I came across an article last night to which comments were made by PI Menard and a mahmoo! What also caught my eye was the comment made by the person who lives near/on Bobby Rd.....said one body was 1/8 of a mile from him & another body was close. Also that it is an area frequented by drug dealers which police are always being called about it. Now I'm not a drug dealer but if I were I doubt I'd kill someone at one place than drop the body off at my place of business. Sounds more like it be a person with some knowledge of how to bring about 'reasonable doubt'.

"Warning kill" my well explain Brittany. After reading info on the other victims, it seems to me her case was handled differently. She sure was officially identified quicker than the others. In thinking of that.....you know what else could tie in with your theory, Mahmoo,wasn't her cousin 'officially' ID'd just days after Brittany disappeared. Surely it was coincidental...but ??.. if Brittany's was a warning killing, the official release of the cousins ID had to underscore that warning.

I hope the PI takes care. I wonder who hired him? PI's aren't cheap and it doesn't sound like any of these families are well off. Perhaps another party....one with a belief that the killings are linked in some way to LE?

Am I right in thinking there were no killings/bodies found in 2006? Bryon Chad Jones was arrested for Patterson's murder in Jan 2006. A fella named Nixon was also charged but I can't find info as to when he was arrested. Jones (assume Nixon also) initially faced manslaugther charges which were upped to second degree murder after GJ inictment. Bond for each was set at $250,000, neither posted. There was to be a trial in Nov 2006 but as yet can't find anything that says it took place. Both were released the beginning of 2007 for lack of evidence. After reading what I could find...I was left with the impression that the determination re lack of evidence came from the Prosecutor's office. Seems illogical....arrest, high bond, GJ indictment/upgraded charge........yet released, after sitting a year in jail, for lack of evidence. I'd be a mite annoyed.

Also.....haven't been able to find info on Connie Siler. It was said she went to CA but a people search on her ends in Jennings and shows her as being age 62. She was a "person of interest" in three of the four slayings.... owned the truck considered evidence in one of the murders....... was jailed for unrelated charges and on the day she's released sells the truck for below market value to the Detective who is investigating the slayings in which she's considered a "person of interest". Anyone on InSession have info on her, mahmoo? Wondering what her 'status' is.

It's just pure laziness and stupidity on Edwards' part.
""It was a cold case when we got it," he said. "The body had been there for three or four days,.."

..maybe he meant to say the body was cold..

LOL From what I've read....an I've been reading alot....your assessment isn't far off.

He made another comment re these cases...can't recall it right off...but it had me shaking my head. IMO He's not knocking himself out for these girls.

Here is a rather poignant post by Whitnei Dubois' sister. She writes the family has not been able to get any answers from authorities, nor have we been able to receive any autopsy reports, toxicology reports, etc. We were left to bury her with many questions unanswered.

Her post date is Oct 10, 2007. Wonder if the family ever received any of the reports :confused:.

The article at link has expired, mahmoo. I came across an article last night to which comments were made by PI Menard and a mahmoo!

Thanks for catching that :blowkiss:.......the Advertiser archives their articles a little too quick. I went back and edited the post. And that post you saw by mahmoo was moi :crazy:. Doubt the PI will respond though.

"Warning kill" my well explain Brittany. After reading info on the other victims, it seems to me her case was handled differently. She sure was officially identified quicker than the others. In thinking of that.....you know what else could tie in with your theory, Mahmoo,wasn't her cousin 'officially' ID'd just days after Brittany disappeared. Surely it was coincidental...but ??.. if Brittany's was a warning killing, the official release of the cousins ID had to underscore that warning.

Actually, it wasn't her cousin......it was the 6th victim, Crystal Zeno. Here's a link to her obituary. Her body was found 9/11/08 but it took 2 months to get a positive ID on her. She was buried 11/11/08.......Brittney was missing at that time and not yet located.

I hope the PI takes care. I wonder who hired him? PI's aren't cheap and it doesn't sound like any of these families are well off. Perhaps another party....one with a belief that the killings are linked in some way to LE?

Menard states in Post #3 here that "due to confidentiality, we cannot disclose our clients". Also, he states here "They were considered what you might call outcasts," said private investigator Menard, who was hired by people close to two of the victims.

Am I right in thinking there were no killings/bodies found in 2006?

That's correct, as far as we know from what is being reported. A year and 9 months had passed from the last body found on 6/18/05 until the killings resumed and the next body was found on 3/18/07. A thought crossed my mind that the culprit may be a military or reserve type person. Maybe they were called to duty and were not in the area during the almost 2 year lull.

The first (that we know of) 2 murders were almost back-to-back.......1st body found 5/20/05 and the 2nd found 6/18/05.

As for the POI's you mentioned........haven't been able to really find out anything about them. I've been scouring the internet and there's basically no info available. Hopefully with the media becoming more interested they will ferret out additional information.

"..the people arrested early this year who were allegedly involved with ONE of the girls...they were release due to lack of evidence. But I say it again, when a cop was caught having sex w/a female who had been arrested for prostitution, he disclosed this along with "other information" to a P.I. The cop was arrested and given a bond of $50K which we know that $5k will get you out...I dont think he's in jail and his trial doesn't have a date yet! Now, scratching your head and going Hum?! would be appropriate.
cuss.gif
"
http://boards.insessiontrials.com/showthread.php?t=345264&page=2
(posted by AngreeCajun on that link there)

Maelstrom5 's post in also interesting:

"..You said “The answer is under Sheriff Edward's nose...he doesn't want to see it” and by that I take it to mean the possible connection to someone in LE. I agree that is an avenue that should be pursued because that is just the type of person whose car Brittney would have gotten in to. But just because Sheriff Edwards has not mentioned that possible connection does not mean he is not looking into it, just that he does not want to go public at this time."

I've been trying to find an article that would give some info on the cop's arrest. Have you read any new posts about the arrested officer?

I've been trying to find an article that would give some info on the cop's arrest. Have you read any new posts about the arrested officer?

There's just not much out there right now. I don't know if these have been posted yet but it's a little something anyway.

JPD officer arrested for obstruction, malfeasance and

ARRESTED: Jesse A. Ewing
Jennings, Louisiana 70546

CHARGES: L.R.S. 14:130.1 Obstruction of Justice
L.R.S. 14:134 Malfeasance in Office
L.R.S. 14:134.1 Malfeasance in Office, sexual conduct prohibited

DATE & TIME
OF ARREST: December 19, 2007 @ 8:45 a.m.
PARISH ARRESTED: Jefferson Davis

BOND SET: $50,000.00

Actually, it wasn't her cousin......it was the 6th victim, Crystal Zeno. Here's a link to her obituary. Her body was found 9/11/08 but it took 2 months to get a positive ID on her. She was buried 11/11/08.......Brittney was missing at that time and not yet located.

That's right it was Crystal. I have viewed her obituary a few times yet her picture continues to catch me off guard. It's a lock eyes picture.

Menard states in Post #3 here that "due to confidentiality, we cannot disclose our clients". Also, he states here "They were considered what you might call outcasts," said private investigator Menard, who was hired by people close to two of the victims.

Close.....doesn't eliminate relatives yet doesn't limit to relatives. Darn that PI training.

That's correct, as far as we know from what is being reported. A year and 9 months had passed from the last body found on 6/18/05 until the killings resumed and the next body was found on 3/18/07. A thought crossed my mind that the culprit may be a military or reserve type person. Maybe they were called to duty and were not in the area during the almost 2 year lull.

Looks like there's almost a years difference between the last 2007 killing--> and the first 2008 killing.

At this time 2008 has 3....the first being Laconia Brown in May left by the police range. She and Patterson are the only two known to have had their throats slit.

"......the first being Laconia Brown in May left by the police range. She and Patterson are the only two known to have had their throats slit."

They are also the 2 women with a physically distinct race difference. I don't want to just say AA because that is most likely not true.

Wish we knew if any others died with the same injury.

Pictures

http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/20081116/NEWS01/811160314

Mahmoo, do you know of any other "pockets" of murdered women in Louisiana? We have been down this road before when at least 2 serials were operating in the Baton Rouge area. Then Houma had their serial of 20 young men.

I am wondering if the indication that their were no murders in 2006 in Jeff Davis Parish if the killer was someplace else? Or is operating in another area at the same time?

I've read where the killer showed no racial factors in choosing the women......would that automatically rule out a racial factor with how the women were killed? No results yet on Crystal & Brittany so they are not included below.

Listed by officials as being caucasian:

Loretta Lynn Chaisson, 28 No official cause of death is ever determined, but high levels of alcohol and drugs were found in her body

Kristen Elizabeth Gary Lopez, 21 No official cause of death is determined, but high levels of alcohol and drugs were found in her body.

Whitnei Charlene Dubois, 26 The cause of her death was never determined, but high levels of alcohol and drugs were found in her body.

Listed by officials as being of the African American race:

Ernesteine Marie Daniel Patterson 29 Her death is later ruled as a homicide by a slit throat.

LaConia Shontel "Muggy" Brown 23 Edwards said she was doused in bleach, but died from a slit throat.

News reports are saying ALL victims showed high levels of drug/alcohol use but individual listings do not state that. It would be interesting to know if Ernestine and LaConia had drug/alcohol levels comparable to the others.
--------

This is not an opinion.....more like an observation/wondering......but at quick glance it appears he may have spent more time with the caucasian women...drinking and doing drugs etc prior to killing them. With the African-American women...again going by limited info in the individual descriptions of death.....it appears the killer may have gone from sex (if any was involved) right to death/disposal.

If this were so does it give any usable insight into the killer?

I've read where the killer showed no racial factors in choosing the women......would that automatically rule out a racial factor with how the women were killed? No results yet on Crystal & Brittany so they are not included below.

Listed by officials as being caucasian:

Loretta Lynn Chaisson, 28 No official cause of death is ever determined, but high levels of alcohol and drugs were found in her body

Kristen Elizabeth Gary Lopez, 21 No official cause of death is determined, but high levels of alcohol and drugs were found in her body.

Whitnei Charlene Dubois, 26 The cause of her death was never determined, but high levels of alcohol and drugs were found in her body.

Listed by officials as being of the African American race:

Ernesteine Marie Daniel Patterson 29 Her death is later ruled as a homicide by a slit throat.

LaConia Shontel "Muggy" Brown 23 Edwards said she was doused in bleach, but died from a slit throat.

News reports are saying ALL victims showed high levels of drug/alcohol use but individual listings do not state that. It would be interesting to know if Ernestine and LaConia had drug/alcohol levels comparable to the others.
--------

This is not an opinion.....more like an observation/wondering......but at quick glance it appears he may have spent more time with the caucasian women...drinking and doing drugs etc prior to killing them. With the African-American women...again going by limited info in the individual descriptions of death.....it appears the killer may have gone from sex (if any was involved) right to death/disposal.

If this were so does it give any usable insight into the killer?

IMO, the biggest factor is vulnerability. He was able to use them. He may not have used drugs/alcohol at the time but may have been a prior abuser.

I had this thought that possibly he was a former abuser that contracted Hep C or something and blamed the illness on others that he had prior contact with. This is obviously a sociopath and this is a getting back.

Jennings is so small that there has to be a link. AA comes to mind. I would check the Lafayette, Crowley, Welch,Lake Charles,Sulfur or any towns with AA meetings and/or a disgruntled member. Or a vocal member....one that has issues that are not easily explained. I think what I am saying is that the people are targeted for their lifestyle or their substance abuse which may have been thwarted in the killer.

Mahmoo, do you know of any other "pockets" of murdered women in Louisiana? We have been down this road before when at least 2 serials were operating in the Baton Rouge area. Then Houma had their serial of 20 young men.

I am wondering if the indication that their were no murders in 2006 in Jeff Davis Parish if the killer was someplace else? Or is operating in another area at the same time?

I know........here we go again :rolleyes:. Right now I don't know if there are other areas. I've mostly been searching for Jennings/Jeff Davis info. Glad you brought it up though.....as soon as I have time I'm going to start checking statewide.

It's interesting about the length of time between the 05 murders and the 07 murders. I've considered the possibilities you suggest as well as that he may be in the military reserves and was perhaps called to active duty during the lull.

Hi, Capoly, i've not read anything new; if i do i will be sure to post it for y'all :)

It's interesting that the one victim had been doused in bleach. Esp. considering how it destroys chances of collecting any DNA on the remains. I wonder if any of the other victims had bleach poured on them?

It's interesting that the one victim had been doused in bleach. Esp. considering how it destroys chances of collecting any DNA on the remains. I wonder if any of the other victims had bleach poured on them?

I wondered that as well. It could be bleach was poured on them in case they were discovered quickly........if not, then they would be so decomposed by the time they were found it wouldn't matter.

I get the impression the person(s) doing this has no fear, they are not under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time the murder is committed and seem to have a decent knowledge of forensics.

It also seems they were not satisfied with the lack of media coverage and public knowledge of these murders therefore, they stepped it up a notch this year........basically assuring the "word" was gonna get out and more attention would be showered on their actions.

I wondered that as well. It could be bleach was poured on them in case they were discovered quickly........if not, then they would be so decomposed by the time they were found it wouldn't matter.

I get the impression the person(s) doing this has no fear, they are not under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time the murder is committed and seem to have a decent knowledge of forensics.

It also seems they were not satisfied with the lack of media coverage and public knowledge of these murders therefore, they stepped it up a notch this year........basically assuring the "word" was gonna get out and more attention would be showered on their actions.

I am thinking that the bleach poured on the one victim was because the victim put up more of a fight and therefore he had to fight back leaving evidence. The others were more than likely overcome quickly. We know some of the victims had their throats slit but do we know what was used to to accomplish this?

I agree that the killer was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol. This doesn't seemed to be a frenzy type killing but more methodical. The person doesn't want to get caught but does want attention for his work otherwise more evidence would have been left at the scene.

I keep getting this feeling that the killer has a grudge against women, especially prostitutes, maybe because of his prior frequenting and maybe because he contracted disease from this activity. He could be projecting his current ailments on the innocent victims he murders.

If my theory is anywhere on target then the killer would be late forties or early fifties. Old enough to have understanding about DNA, other forensics and old enough to be suffering from past indescretions.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back