New developments in unsolved Jennings murders

IMO, the biggest factor is vulnerability. He was able to use them. He may not have used drugs/alcohol at the time but may have been a prior abuser.

I had this thought that possibly he was a former abuser that contracted Hep C or something and blamed the illness on others that he had prior contact with. This is obviously a sociopath and this is a getting back.

Jennings is so small that there has to be a link. AA comes to mind. I would check the Lafayette, Crowley, Welch,Lake Charles,Sulfur or any towns with AA meetings and/or a disgruntled member. Or a vocal member....one that has issues that are not easily explained. I think what I am saying is that the people are targeted for their lifestyle or their substance abuse which may have been thwarted in the killer.

Was wondering more along the lines as to whether a victim's race could be a factor in method of killing.......

Going by the basic death info listed for the first 5 women...

With the 3 women of the white race it indicates that no official cause of death has been determined, but high levels of alcohol and drugs were found.

With the 2 women of the black race it indicates a slit throat as cause of death. (there is no mention of alcohol and drugs) One woman with slit throat was found shortly after death but the other with slit throat was badly decomposed.....took two different dna tests before identity established. This tends to make me think that state of decomposure didn't disallow a finding of a slit throat being cause of death.

So it seems that either LE is picking and choosing whom they release info on....(would hope that wouldn't be racially based though)...or if a serial killer...he's got two ways of killing dependent on race.

I also think it is an older man....(believe it was you posted that in other thread)

am one finger typing as hands are bad...so forgive mistakes please

Can anyone tell me if the murder of 17yo Meghan Runkle whos body was found in a ditch in Jennings State Park on November 5 has been considereded as related/ similar to these deaths? I can't find reference to her anywhere on websleuths but these deaths seemed the most likely place I would see her name.

Can anyone tell me if the murder of 17yo Meghan Runkle whos body was found in a ditch in Jennings State Park on November 5 has been considereded as related/ similar to these deaths? I can't find reference to her anywhere on websleuths but these deaths seemed the most likely place I would see her name.

She was killed in Florida, missellen.

Police identify body in Jennings State Forest as 17-year-old homicide victim

Jacksonville police have identified the body of a 17-year-old girl who was found Nov. 5 in Jennings State Forest, and the death has been listed as a homicide.

http://news.jacksonville.com/justin...-state-forest-as-17-year-old-homicide-victim/

It sure is a scary world.

ETA Maybe you will start a thread on her?

Was wondering more along the lines as to whether a victim's race could be a factor in method of killing.......

Going by the basic death info listed for the first 5 women...

With the 3 women of the white race it indicates that no official cause of death has been determined, but high levels of alcohol and drugs were found.

With the 2 women of the black race it indicates a slit throat as cause of death. (there is no mention of alcohol and drugs) One woman with slit throat was found shortly after death but the other with slit throat was badly decomposed.....took two different dna tests before identity established. This tends to make me think that state of decomposure didn't disallow a finding of a slit throat being cause of death.

So it seems that either LE is picking and choosing whom they release info on....(would hope that wouldn't be racially based though)...or if a serial killer...he's got two ways of killing dependent on race.

I also think it is an older man....(believe it was you posted that in other thread)

am one finger typing as hands are bad...so forgive mistakes please

Pretty good thinking. Could be another motive....racial. In any case, I believe if the killer is targeting vulnerability it could be any race. His own reasons are attached. I am sure we will find when he is caught they don't make sense to us.

I was looking at the Lubbock, Texas killings but I think that is too far for this guy. I think this a home grown variety. Meaning South Louisiana vs. a transient.

Former Jennings Cop Sentenced

......It stems back to March when Ewing was fired for allegedly releasing criminal evidence to a civilian. He reportedly obtained information involving the murders of two of the five dead women found in rural Jeff Davis Parish. Then, allegedly released tape recordings of two inmates in the Jeff Davis Jail describing an alleged cover-up of the murders involving local law enforcement to a private investigator.

http://www.kplctv.com/Global/story.asp?s=8843722

Funny how information varies on searches. Have searched this Ewing a number of times and this never came up. This article doesn't mention sexual misconduct.

As to a possible race factor. The articles by profilers I'm reading seem to indicate that a male of the black race is more likely to pick victims of either/any race.

As much as I hate to write this, I was leaning towards the killer being a black male if indeed he slit the throats of only the black victims. There's also something about the drug/alcohol levels of the white victims that suggest a kind of 'wine & dine' time took place previous to being killed. If the killer is a black male, he might be of a mindset that I recall existing in the 1950's-60's (not saying killer is that old).......

It doesn't make sense that Brittany Gary would have gone with just anyone......and there's good amount of time between each set of killings...

Wonder if any member of the clergy is being looked at by LE?

Discalceation is a word that means "removal of footwear".

Some....have also read all....bodies were found without shoes. Maybe a killer rite or maybe home where shoes are removed by all upon entering.

This may be posted already though don't recall reading some of what's in it.
Authorities fear community's apathy tied to victims' lifestyle
http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/20081116/NEWS01/811160319

"The death of the women perplex both authorities and residents who wonder how someone could leave such evidence-free bodies. The sophisticated nature in which the bodies were disposed of make Southside residents question whether a Southside resident could be responsible for the deaths.
"When there are murders here, it's usually in a fight or a bar brawl," bar owner Ardon Jay said. "These people don't know how to do the things I'm reading about.""

Hope the women of the Southside aren't basing their actions on this line of thought.

Discalceation is a word that means "removal of footwear".

Some....have also read all....bodies were found without shoes. Maybe a killer rite or maybe home where shoes are removed by all upon entering.

Ronald Dominique ( the Houma Louisiana serial killer) had this same fetish about shoe removal. Some have speculated that this is a religious serial killer ritual. Given that south Louisiana is very Catholic and religious it could be something ingrained in an otherwise warped mind.

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20080923/articles/809230232

Derrick Todd Lee was black and killed mostly white women and one black woman that we know of. The significant thing is that all the women were very attractive whether younger or older.

Sean Gillis, the second Baton Rouge serial killer was white. He killed mostly black prostitutes that he knew. He also engaged in internet *advertiser censored* and possible snuff films. He was known for his mutilation of the bodies post mortem.

Ronald Dominique ( the Houma Louisiana serial killer) had this same fetish about shoe removal. Some have speculated that this is a religious serial killer ritual. Given that south Louisiana is very Catholic and religious it could be something ingrained in an otherwise warped mind.

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20080923/articles/809230232

Derrick Todd Lee was black and killed mostly white women and one black woman that we know of. The significant thing is that all the women were very attractive whether younger or older.

Sean Gillis, the second Baton Rouge serial killer was white. He killed mostly black prostitutes that he knew. He also engaged in internet *advertiser censored* and possible snuff films. He was known for his mutilation of the bodies post mortem.

Have been reading of the different religious reasonings behind removing ones shoes. Had no idea there were a number of reasons one might remove shoes....but than there was no reason for me to know..

Thanks for the link to the articles on Ronald Dominique...It seems the first thing a person needs to let go of when following these type cases...is their perception of what a serial killer looks like. 20+ men dead...I'm thinking he has to be able to physically overpower them. Obviously not. Have to keep reminding myself that it is mental/emotional manipulations that entrap.

Perhaps that's why I think so much on Brittany Gary. I've yet to find anything that suggests she was into the strawberry/drug thing at the time she went missing..Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places...

But she was only back in Jennings a week or so and had expressed fear/distrust...& if she was still on the straight and narrow re drugs....I would think her killing would narrow the killer field down.

December 29, 2007
Section: News
Police officer will be cleared
DORIS MARICLE AMERICAN PRESS

JENNINGS - Efforts to exonerate a veteran Jennings police officer of wrongdoing have moved to the state level. ......

Kirk Menard, a private investigator hired to try to clear Sgt. Jesse Ewing of obstruction of justice, malfeasance in office and sexual misconduct charges, said he turned over evidence to the FBI and Attorney General's Office that will shed new light on the case.........

"The next step is to fight these charges," Menard said. "Jesse does not want a plea bargain. He wants this case to go to trial because he believes he didn't do anything wrong - and I don't feel he did anything wrong, either." .........

Ewing is accused of handing over privileged information involving the ongoing investigation into four unsolved murders in Jeff Davis Parish to a private investigator. He plans to plead not guilty to the charges during his arraignment next month. ........

Ewing, a 19-year veteran of the Jennings Police Department, has been on paid administrative leave since his Dec. 19 arrest by Louisiana State Police. He has also undergone an internal affairs investigation..........

Ewing obtained taped information into the unsolved murders and an alleged cover-up involving a high ranking law enforcement official from two former female inmates in the city jail. He later turned that information over to Menard in an attempt to avoid public accusations of a cover-up by local law enforcement officials............

Menard said the women knew information about the crimes and the crime scenes that had not been released to the public. Though some of the information was askew or third-hand information, the information could have only been obtained by someone at the scene or from someone who was at the scene, he said.............

He also admitted to giving Menard the tapes to deliver to the FBI and Attorney General's Office to avoid the appearance of any cover-ups or improprieties among local officials............

Snips from article.

Was Menard later hired by someone else to investigate murders?

Former Jennings officer expected to enter guilty plea

American Press (Lake Charles, LA)
August 14, 2008
He was indicted on a charge of felony malfeasance in office in April after he reportedly provided evidence in a criminal investigation to a civilian.
"After giving it a lot of thought, I have decided I will allow Jesse Ewing to plead guilty to a misdemeanor criminal mischief charge which included tampering with the property of another with the intent to interfere with the free enjoyment of any rights of anyone or with the intent to deprive anyone entitled to the full use of the property," said District Attorney Michael Cassidy.

Ewing was fired in March after a state police investigation found that he allowed private investigator Kirk Menard to handle evidence involving the investigation of four unsolved homicides in Jeff Davis Parish Ewing reportedly obtained taped information on the slayings and an alleged cover-up involving a local law enforcement official from two female inmates in the city jail. He reportedly later gave Menard the information to give to the FBI, the state Attorney General's Office and the District Attorney's Office.

One of the inmates later accused Ewing of inappropriately touching her - a charge the grand jury passed on.

Bits snipped from article.

ETA JUst so it's clear re sexual misconduct.

American Press (Lake Charles, LA) - April 17, 2008

Grand jurors return indictment against former police officer, IN JEFF DAVIS
JENNINGS - Jeff Davis Parish grand jurors on Wednesday indicted a former Jennings police sergeant accused of giving privileged information to a private investigator. The same jury cleared the officer of two other charges - malfeasance in office for sexual misconduct with a female inmate and obstruction of justice.Jesse Ewing was indicted on a charge of malfeasance in office for providing evidence in a criminal investigation to a civilian.Ewing was fired from the police department in...

He risked his job and reputation to give evidence in a criminal investigation to a civilian in order to give to the FBI, the state Attorney General's Office and the District Attorney's Office.

People rarely do that for no good reason. But if it was a good one...and the FBI etc have known the info since April/May....why no arrests......2 young women have been killed since that time.

Former Jennings officer expected to enter guilty plea

American Press (Lake Charles, LA)
August 14, 2008
He was indicted on a charge of felony malfeasance in office in April after he reportedly provided evidence in a criminal investigation to a civilian.
"After giving it a lot of thought, I have decided I will allow Jesse Ewing to plead guilty to a misdemeanor criminal mischief charge which included tampering with the property of another with the intent to interfere with the free enjoyment of any rights of anyone or with the intent to deprive anyone entitled to the full use of the property," said District Attorney Michael Cassidy.

Ewing was fired in March after a state police investigation found that he allowed private investigator Kirk Menard to handle evidence involving the investigation of four unsolved homicides in Jeff Davis Parish Ewing reportedly obtained taped information on the slayings and an alleged cover-up involving a local law enforcement official from two female inmates in the city jail. He reportedly later gave Menard the information to give to the FBI, the state Attorney General's Office and the District Attorney's Office.

One of the inmates later accused Ewing of inappropriately touching her - a charge the grand jury passed on.

Bits snipped from article.

He risked his job and reputation to give evidence in a criminal investigation to a civilian in order to give to the FBI, the state Attorney General's Office and the District Attorney's Office.

People rarely do that for no good reason. But if it was a good one...and the FBI etc have known the info since April/May....why no arrests......2 young women have been killed since that time.

I think he has problems but they aren't related to the murders. Most serials operate under the radar. This one is no exception.

I think he has problems but they aren't related to the murders. Most serials operate under the radar. This one is no exception.

Sorry didn't intend for it to look like he was involved with murders. I thought that one sentence would show he was cleared than realized it didn't.

Went back and added this to clarify

ETA JUst so it's clear re sexual misconduct.

American Press (Lake Charles, LA) - April 17, 2008

Grand jurors return indictment against former police officer, IN JEFF DAVIS
JENNINGS - Jeff Davis Parish grand jurors on Wednesday indicted a former Jennings police sergeant accused of giving privileged information to a private investigator. The same jury cleared the officer of two other charges - malfeasance in office for sexual misconduct with a female inmate and obstruction of justice.Jesse Ewing was indicted on a charge of malfeasance in office for providing evidence in a criminal investigation to a civilian.Ewing was fired from the police department in...

We must have crossed paths posting.

Well, I agree...... the poor fella did/does have problems and none are sexual that I could find....2007-2008 have been rather troublesome times for him.......He was in hot water at his job prior to hiring Menard. And the subsequent malfeasance charges were followed by yet another tiff at the workplace which resulted in court involvement.

He probably didn't hire Menard out of the goodness of his heart but no matter what his motive...he must have known or heard something that made it worth his while to hire Menard re murders.

It's interesting about the length of time between the 05 murders and the 07 murders. I've considered the possibilities you suggest as well as that he may be in the military reserves and was perhaps called to active duty during the lull.

Could it be that the perp was displaced by Katrina and/or Rita, or just had a cooldown that was maybe prolonged by the storms' aftermath?

http://www.rpso.org/web/cold_cases.htm

Teresa Marie Gilcrease
White/Female
DOB: 02/14/1958

On 06/10/2002 a caller to the Rapides Parish Sheriff's Office reported having found a deceased female at the property located at 132 Jenkins Road in Alexandria, La.
The victim was identified as Teresa Marie Gilcrease and was last seen at the "Stick" lounge located on Mac Arthur Drive in Alexandria. The victim was last seen in the company of an unknown white male. The above sketch was made of the white male who was with the victim at the lounge.

This is not too far from Jennings, IIRC.

http://www.rpso.org/web/cold_cases.htm

Teresa Marie Gilcrease
White/Female
DOB: 02/14/1958

On 06/10/2002 a caller to the Rapides Parish Sheriff's Office reported having found a deceased female at the property located at 132 Jenkins Road in Alexandria, La.
The victim was identified as Teresa Marie Gilcrease and was last seen at the "Stick" lounge located on Mac Arthur Drive in Alexandria. The victim was last seen in the company of an unknown white male. The above sketch was made of the white male who was with the victim at the lounge. (snipped)

I remember that case as one we thought could be connected to the killings in the Baton Rouge and Lafayette areas. A reporter from Baton Rouge faxed me that sketch years ago but we now know that sketch had nothing to do with the other murders.

One interesting thing is both Alexandria and Jennings are readily accessible from I 49 and I 10. Anything south of I 10 has more complicated ingress and egress. It would be difficult to move bodies around without being seen due to heavy closed off traffic. Interstate travel for the killer is more convenient.

I wonder if that guy is involved with the Jennings murders? From the sketch, it looks like he would be late forties or early fifties now.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200881118039

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20081124/NEWS01/81124010

Deputies say the body could be that of a man wanted for kidnapping, rape and attempted murder. The body was found off Louisiana Highway 96.
Maj. Ginny Higgins, public information officer, said investigators believe dead man is 29-year-old Jules David Mallery, a suspect in the four crimes.

Does anyone know about this? How far is St. Martin Parish from Jennings? Now we have a perp in a different case turning up in a ditch?:eek:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back