Baez files motion to keep KC out of court -

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
He should at least argue that she appear in street clothes and no shackles whenever there will be media attending, or video released from the hearings.

I don't know what the practice is in Florida, but here defendants always appear at pretrial proceedings in jail jumpsuits and shackles. At trial, however, they are in street clothes, only their feet are shackled and a skirt is put on the open tables so the jury can't see the shackles.

I think Jose is trying to make it look like every one is picking on poor Casey.
the LE, the prosecuters, and now the Judge. I think his case is going to be how the system chose to pick on her rather then go after the real killer.:boohoo:
Horsesh!t if you ask me

Yes, I think the real purpose of the motions is to make the prosecutors look bad in the public eye and to try to garner sympathy for Casey. He has to know they don't stand an ice cube's chance. Actually, I don't think they stand much of a chance of succeeding in demonizing the prosecutors and the court either or making anyone feel sorry for Casey.

Yes, I think the real purpose of the motions is to make the prosecutors look bad in the public eye and to try to garner sympathy for Casey. He has to know they don't stand an ice cube's chance. Actually, I don't think they stand much of a chance of succeeding in demonizing the prosecutors and the court either or making anyone feel sorry for Casey.

I have been on record saying many of his motions were, only to be surprised in the hearing.

I saw that too. JB may be suffering the brunt of her narcissistic rages. He may be in fear of her throwing one in the courtroom in front of the judge or at the judge. She may have threatened that she will do that as well. If so, it's not her "physical image" per se' he is truly concerned with, but her "case" that he is truly protecting here.

Excellent point, Debbie. And even if she's not throwing a rage fit, it's been pretty apparent she's just never reacting like a normal mother to any of these circumstances. I'm sure he'd rather the public not continue to see that either.

There is another thread discussing that. Seems she had adopted Jose's special signature. Jose signs with a J, and a B slurred to a Z (for Baez). Casey is now signing with a C, then an A blurred to a Y (for Anthony). Isn't that cute?

Maybe she was signing with her shackles on...

I have been on record saying many of his motions were, only to be surprised in the hearing.

I think judges often bend over backwards to ensure someone in very serious case, especially one that could involve the death penalty or life in prison, is getting fair treatment. I've even heard one judge actually say none of his rulings had ever been overturned on appeal and he wanted to make sure that never happened.

And of course it's almost impossible for prosecutors to appeal, only the defense.

But as someone pointed out, JB was the one who fought a gag order in this case and that has to have some weight with the judge.

I guess we'll find out when the hearing on these motions is held. :)

I think judges often bend over backwards to ensure someone in very serious case, especially one that could involve the death penalty or life in prison, is getting fair treatment. I've even heard one judge actually say none of his rulings had ever been overturned on appeal and he wanted to make sure that never happened.

And of course it's almost impossible for prosecutors to appeal, only the defense.

But as someone pointed out, JB was the one who fought a gag order in this case and that has to have some weight with the judge.

I guess we'll find out when the hearing on these motions is held. :)

Understandable. I can't see this one passing, nor the one about removing the prosecutors. I am done predicting what happens though because I am wrong more than I am right. The way NG put it, it seems some of it is routine motions not at all out of the ordinary. I still think Baez is setting her up for an appeal if necessary. I am getting a bit frustrated like him that discovery has to be pulled via the teeth from the SA. I wonder if they are holding back more exculpatory information, or they are withholding the more damaging information.

She should be forced to walk to court in those chains and shackles all the way from the jailhouse imho. I think she is a coward and afraid to face her accousers. She will be required to appear during trial and she will be required to sit there and hear all the testimony against her. That is the way it should be even during pre-trail. Unless of course she wants to jsut admit her guilt skip the trial and go right to the punishment phase, but she is not brave enough for that. If I am wrong I am wrong but that is how I feel.

Understandable. I can't see this one passing, nor the one about removing the prosecutors. I am done predicting what happens though because I am wrong more than I am right. The way NG put it, it seems some of it is routine motions not at all out of the ordinary. I still think Baez is setting her up for an appeal if necessary. I am getting a bit frustrated like him that discovery has to be pulled via the teeth from the SA. I wonder if they are holding back more exculpatory information, or they are withholding the more damaging information.

*respectfully snipped*

Hi Broderick,

I keep thinking that after the change of venue is decided, the SA will turn over documents. Don't know if this is legal or not... just a feeling.

The judge wants KC there because JB is not a very good lawyer, in fact it is imperative that KC sees this for herself. JB bumbles his way through time and time again in the court room, and is called out for it by both the judge and the prosecution. The last thing the judge wants is to have to try this case again due to ineffective counsel, requiring KC to be there lessens the chance of this happening.

bold by me -- makes me think of this joke:

You May Need A New Lawyer If:

• When the prosecutors see your lawyer, they high-five each other.
  • Your lawyer tells you that his last good case was of Budweiser.
  • Your lawyer picks the jury by playing "duck-duck-goose."
  • Your lawyer tells you that he has never told a lie.
  • A prison guard is shaving your head.

Anyone think Judge S. will finally be PO'd at Baez and tear a strip out of him?

Baez fought against the gag order, so he has to live with what he wanted. If there was a gag order it wouldn't be a "circus"!

IMO

No, I think Judge S. is way too professional for that.

You're so right about the gag order & circus. JB had the perfect opportunity to prevent the circus. He made the decision to oppose the gag order, now he has to live with it. Seems like he & KC have some similarities, not wanting to live with their choices.

I disagree with the merits of Baez's motion.

I like being able to observe Casey's facial expressions and body language during phone calls, hearings, etc. I find them relevant and helpful.

In fact, the threads on the recently released August 14, 2008 jail telephone call with her parents, discussed here: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3175363#post3175363
illustrate for me (1) just how angry Casey gets and, more importantly (2) just how little it takes for her to do so. :eek:

As far as random posts and news articles about her hair, clothes, etc., I guess some folks might find this bothersome, but I don't let it bother me.

There's still enough relevant, useful information that comes out of Casey's public/publicised appearances, calls, etc., that it balances out the scales for this cat.

I think it's a mutual agreement between KC and JB not ruin "the illusion". KC has blind faith in JB's legal expertise, and he can control her actions so long as she believes he holds the power to set her free.

I think this motion is merely an effort to keep reality off their cloud.

:clap:

Yes, exactly! Further, she does not have to wake up early, come in unpretty and be scrutinized, and he won't have to worry that she'll wonder about his legal abilities.

Why does she deserve that dignity?

I'm not being sarcastic at all. I am just wondering why any defendant charged with a capital crime should be allowed to 'spruce up' for a motion hearing. This isn't the trial.

I agree. My gosh, look what she has done? I think she's being treated with "kit gloves" already. It's ridiculous what Baez is saying. She doesn't look that bad in prison clothes anyway. What about every other defendent? Should they all get made up for hearings? Why should she get any special treatment? :waitasec:

I guess I don't understand. Judge Strickland demanded she appear at the last hearing so she could in person waive the right to be at the hearings. Then Judge Stickland issued an order for her to attend the hearings in spite of the waiver. Correct?

*respectfully snipped*

Hi Broderick,

I keep thinking that after the change of venue is decided, the SA will turn over documents. Don't know if this is legal or not... just a feeling.

Not sure what prompt the change of venue will bring in regards to release. I am starting to get curious at just what else they have. Much of what they have is merely circumstantial, but enough to build a case I guess. I am hoping they have clear cut evidence of decomposition in the car, finger prints on duct tape, Caylee dna in entomology testing, proof of parentage, and useful information in Annie's statement's and additional statements from others related to the case. I want some smoking gun material. I am worried there isn't much more. Perhaps we are missing exculpatory evidence as well. It appears Baez has to pull the teeth of the SA for evidence requests that he is by law entitled to.

I guess I don't understand. Judge Strickland demanded she appear at the last hearing so she could in person waive the right to be at the hearings. Then Judge Stickland issued an order for her to attend the hearings in spite of the waiver. Correct?

I think he said he would consider a written waiver but didn't necessarily say he would grant the waiver when received. In this hearing, he determined she should attend so Baez took umbrage and filed an emergency motion. Baez has some points, but I think he is setting up the state for an appeal with her absence. I wonder what is in her appearance that he and she is trying to conceal. Maybe she just doesn't want to take a chance of seeing her parents and weaken, or perhaps she is too vain to want people to see her putting on pounds. ?

I can't imagine what exculpatory evidence they would have. But if they are stalling, it wouldn't be the first time prosecutors have done foot dragging on exculpatory evidence or even their more blockbuster evidence and I doubt if it will be the last.

OK So the judge decided against the waiver for her to attend and now JB is challenging him. Right?

Doesn't this kind of blatent challenge to the judge's authority cause a riff in the courtroom for other issues? Isn't it best to try and keep the judge from detesting the defense team? This is the part I guess I don't understand. Why would JB press the issue by going up against the judge?

The Anthonys will defend KC til the day she or they die and their efforts are futile until she is ever proven not guilty which we know may never happen.
I rewatched that tape over and over where she got angry while on the jail phone with her mother and it almost looked like she was having a childlike tantrum and trying to take it out on her mother that it was her mothers fault she was in jail... especially when she said to the mother that she could have been out of prison if it werent for the parents- then Cindy says to her that she and George didn't have the means to get her out of jail.
I got the impression Casey was thinking about those monies coming in to the Caylee NonProfit the Anthonys set up when she said that to Cindy.
If Casey had told the truth to parents and police in the first place there would have never been this circus with JB the head clown and other opportunists trying to get in on the money gravy train.
As for the guy who made the " Caylee Doll! &%^$#(@(&(!!!! and thats all I have to say about that.
What next! Caylee fridge magnets, kites, Caylee backpacks and heart shaped stickers with her face on them and other junk.
I can't wait to see how Jose and the others profit from this tragedy after the trial is over and they all say so long to Casey.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ellllop
Back