Cases That Haunt You

yes their are scam artists out their who will say anything to you to get you to belive in what they are saying always check with a reliable source ex le someone handing the case if you feel that you are dealing with a con

MaryBelle said:
I just had to mention Angie Housmann on this thread. Hers is the most disturbing child abduction / murder case I have ever known of in my entire life.

Angie was found dead a short distance from where I live in a nature preserve area. She had been molested and tortured for days before being tied to a tree naked and left in the forest alone in freezing temperatures. Her clothes were in a bag nearby. Police believe she had been kept and tortured for about a week and then left in the forest for about 3 days & nights afterwards before she died - which by that time had to be a blessing for her. My husband used to be in law enforcement and one of the LE who was called to the scene when she was found (by hunters) told my husband that the things that had been done to this little girl were so horrible they could never be talked about.

She was just a sweet little girl who wanted to be everyone's friend. PLEASE read this article about Angie and remember her. It is just so sad. Periodically the local news does an update feature talking with her poor mother. My heart breaks for her. The monster who did this has never been caught.

[snip]
St. Louis, MO -- On Nov. 18, 1993, Angie Housman, a trusting fourth-grader, vanished after getting off her school bus up the street from her home. Nine days after her disappearance, a deer hunter found her body in a wooded area. Angie had been tied to a tree and died slowly of exposure.
She had been raped and tortured.

Police are nowhere near solving the case.

Detectives have tracked down more than 300 leads in their fruitless investigation into Angie's death. "If you're looking for a bunch of frustrated policeman, this is the place to come," said St. Louis Sgt. Riley Hughes, who is heading the Major Case effort.

"This is the most frustrating case I've encountered in my 30 1/2 years as a policeman."

[snip]
"It's our feeling she got in a car on her own," Hughes said. "She was starved for affection.
She told people, `I want to be your friend.' She was a little more trusting than many kids."

Another Major Case squad investigator added: "We've learned that Angie would meet you two or three times and you were her friend. We've been told that she'd go up to people and say,
`Hi. My name is Angie. Are you my friend?'

<http://www.kgl900.com/html/body_angie.htm>

Simply breaks my heart

The picture of Tara and that little boy have haunted me since a child. I was in my teens when this photo was found outside a convience store. The town it was found in was about 20 miles away and in the same county.

The official statement released at that time was that one of the families said it wasn't their kid despite the police believing it was. Gossip went around that this family did not care about their kid. Terrible things to say about a family suffering such a loss.

Tara seems like a good match and so did the boy untill I heard his remains were found. But his family do not believe those are his remains.

A white Toyota van was parked in the parking lot. When the person that found the photo came from the store, the photo was there and the van was gone.

I have always thought these kids were transported far from where they were stolen and transported down south in FL. I still hold out hope they maybe alive.

their is hope that they could be still alive but with each year that passes it fades faster and faster.. lately ive been really wanting to solve the case of missing ct girl janice pockett it has haunted me for a while and is close to home since i live in the state she was taken from and its about 45 minnuts from my house. if anyone is intrested in the pockett case their is a thread on it and you can pm me

There are many cold cases that haunt me but this is perhaps the most haunting cold case against a child that I have ever come along. It involves an unidentified African American female child found in St. Louis, Missouri on February 28, 1983 in a vacant apartment building. She was lying face-down in a furnace room with her hands tied behind her back with red and white nylon rope. The victim had been sexually assaulted prior to being strangled, which was the cause of her death. She was decapitated and her head was never found. She is the only child on The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children(NCMEC) without any type of photo or sketch. Only the bloodied yellow v-necked sweater she was wearing is pictured.

Here is her Doe Network Page:

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/54ufmo.html

Read More Here:

The Case That Haunts
The most notorious cold case in the history of the St. Louis Police Department still haunts homicide detectives BY CHAD GARRISON

http://riverfronttimes.com/issues/2004-12-01/news/feature.html

Sunshinelady said:
There are many cold cases that haunt me but this is perhaps the most haunting cold case against a child that I have ever come along. It involves an unidentified African American female child found in St. Louis, Missouri on February 28, 1983 in a vacant apartment building. She was lying face-down in a furnace room with her hands tied behind her back with red and white nylon rope. The victim had been sexually assaulted prior to being strangled, which was the cause of her death. She was decapitated and her head was never found. She is the only child on The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children(NCMEC) without any type of photo or sketch. Only the bloodied yellow v-necked sweater she was wearing is pictured....]

I have often wondered if this little girl might have been a victim of the BTK killer of Kansas. Except for the decapitation, there are a lot of similarities. It occurred during the span of killings generally attributed to him, the child was found inside a building, bound, strangled, and stabbed (if you consider the decapitation). Here is some more info on her:
Unidentified African-American Female Child

Located on February 28, 1983 in St. Louis, Missouri
Cause of death was homicide; the victim was strangled.

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 8 - 11 years old (DOB circa 1972-75).
Approximate Height and Weight: 4'10"; 70 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: She was well-nourished. She had no scars, deformities or irregularities. Medium complexion.
Clothing: She was wearing a yellow v-necked sweater and 2 coats of red fingernail polish.

Case History
The victim was located in a vacant apartment building on Clemens Avenue in St. Louis, Missouri on February 28, 1983. Two men who were in the basement of the building discovered the young girl. She was lying face-down in the furnace room with her hands tied behind her back with red and white nylon rope. The victim had been sexually assaulted prior to being strangled, which was the cause of her death.
The victim's head had been removed with a large-bladed knife after her death. Her head has never been discovered. She had been killed elsewhere and brought to the vacant building after her death.
There were no signs of previous abuse on the victim's body. There was no specific features that would give clues as to her identity.
The St. Louis authorities have conducted extensive investigations into the victim's identity since 1983 and have received no clear leads. Her murderer(s) remain unknown, although several suspects have been under investigation. No arrests have been made in the case.

If you have any information concerning this young girl's identity or the circumstances surrounding her homicide, please contact: St. Louis Police Department, Detective Thomas Carroll 314-444-5371

NCIC Number: U-470002710

Source Information:
NCMEC
Jane Doe: The Girl Nobody Seems To Miss
The Doe Network: Case File 54UFMO

Nancy Jo Canode was young and beautiful, with two children, a hard-working husband and a comfortable two-level apartment in Ponte Vedra Beach.
So why did someone rape her, tie a rope around her neck, and stab her with an ice pick and a kitchen knife until she died?

No one knows, except her killer...

http://www.staugustine.com/stories99/060399/unsolved_murder.shtml
(register)

did the husband do it??

LinasK said:
Mystery Momma, Yes I know something about this case, I live in the area. Her name I believe is spelled Ilene Mischeloff. She was abducted walking between school/home and Dublin Iceland. She was never classified as a runaway. She is believed to be a victim of foul play. Her mother still holds candlelight vigils for her and her missing posters can still be found in a few storefronts in Dublin.
There was a murdering couple (James Daveggio & Michelle Michaud) just a couple of years ago that abducted and killed a Phillipino woman from Pleasanton walking on her way to work and dumped her body near Lake Tahoe. They grabbed her off the street and tortured her in their van. They are suspects in the disappearance of Ilene Mischeloff.:twocents:
There will be a candlelight vigil held for Ilene in the next few days, I forgot the exact date. It has been 16 years since she disappeared, she is gone, but not forgotten.

I just started a thread on this case today:
16 yo Cheryl Fossyl Georgetown, Ohio She was taking law enforcement classes at the local vocational school. Her head was located in Adams County. Ohio and her torso was located in Brown County. Ohio. Still unsolved. Allegations of an offical coverup.

http://www.kdbs.us/help_the_children_link.htm

Carrie Culberson Blanchester, Ohio 24 yo disappeared in 1996 and presumed dead. Body has never been found. Boyfriend has convicted of the murder and his brother of helping to cover up the murder. A civil suit was filed against the city of Blanchester by the victim's mother for misconduct by the police chief in investigating the murder.

http://www.findcarrieculberson.com/index.html
http://www.justice4vinceandtracey.com/

The two cases are in adjoining counties: Brown County Ohio and Clinton County Ohio.

MysteryMomma said:
I can't find a link....it was a Dublin, CA girl, Eileen Mishaloff, I think I spelled her name wrong. She was an ice skater, she was walking I think home to or from the rink and she was never scene again. I was working in Dublin when this happened I can't even remember the year. I looked on www.missingkids.com and I couldn't find her missing poster. I think she was later thought to be a runaway and no one ever mentioned her again. She didn't take any of her stuff with her and she gave me the feeling that she wasn't a runaway................Does anyone else remember her? I still think about her.

OHH how well I remeber this one. I live in the Bay area. IMHO she was and is not a runaway. Then you had Michela Gerhardt (I know I spelled that one wrong)She was taken from a grocery store just a few miles where I grew up. To this day no leads what so ever.

Pamela June Ray has been missing since 1992. She came to Panama City Beach from Atlanta, at about 5:30 am she parked with her 2 samll children at Whites Motel in search of a room. A man was senn following her as she left her car and a scream was heard. The police fed and saw to her little children but she was never found. Whites motel is within 2 miles of my house. It has long been thought one or more serial killers come to this area due to the vacation atmosphere and people less wary while on vacation. Unidentified bones have been found in wooded areas on roads miles from the town. Aside from her scream Pamela has never been heard from or seen again. Her keys and purse were in the car with the small children.

http://doenetwork.us/cases/595dffl.html

What's scarier............the fact someone's murder can never be solved OR the fact someone's body is never identified? It just amazes me a body,esp. that of a child,can go without anyone stepping forward saying"that's my child".........it's not like they fell out of the sky! There's family out there somewhere!

It's haunting to think how so many people can just "dissapear" with no clues or witnesses.

Both of these thoughts really scare me.

messiecake said:
What's scarier............the fact someone's murder can never be solved OR the fact someone's body is never identified? It just amazes me a body,esp. that of a child,can go without anyone stepping forward saying"that's my child".........it's not like they fell out of the sky! There's family out there somewhere!

It's haunting to think how so many people can just "dissapear" with no clues or witnesses.

Both of these thoughts really scare me.

Those thoughts have always scared me too. It is sad how some bodies are never identified-these people must have had some one who noticed them missing and cares!

And the people who just simply vanish, that haunts me so much. That is why the Evelyn Hartley case (I know, I know, I talk about it alot here) has stayed with me for so many years. She was dragged out of that house and simply vanished. The point is, she is somewhere as I write this, dead or alive. Sadly it is more likely she is dead, and has been dead probably since that night 51 years ago. Whoever killed her, hid her body and hid it good. There was such an extensive search to find her but no trace was ever found. There is so much open countryside around La Crosse. I sometimes think maybe a new house will be built, or a new subdivision or shopping mall or road. Maybe her body will be discovered as they dig into the ground. But there is still so so much open land around there, that she could lie there undiscovered for a 1000 years , or forever. And this is just assuming she was buried. Who know what her killers did with her body. That poor girl, I can't imagine the terror she felt as she was sitting in that livingroom, being surprised by the intruders and dragged out and injured badly.

I sometimes wonder what her surviving sibling(s) think. (Her parents, as least her father, have passed away). I wonder if late at night, maybe sitting at the computer, they do a Google search on her name. I wonder if they've read Websleuths. I am disappointed the book that was being written by three LaCrosse residents in no longer in the works, due to money. I hope someone can come forward and help the book get published. According to an article in the La Crosse Tribune some man came forward last year saying he had a tape recording of a man saying he and another man killed Evelyn and buried her near a town south of LaCrosse. I wonder how much that was looked into. It may be made up but who knows-there may be truth in it. It has been always thought that Evelyn was taken south out of town, as the bloodstained jacket they believed to be the abductors, and bloodstained underclothes her size were found along Rt 14. There has been no more talk of that article, though the authors of the book were looking into it at that time, and so were the police.

When I first discovered the MPCCN amd Doe Network, I never realized how many people have just simply vanished, and how many are unidentified. I knew of many cases already (like Evelyn) and knew it has been happenening since the beginning of time, but to see them all together on one website like that. It is just so haunting.

i totaly agree the case of little janice pockett is so close to home she was taken about 45 minnuts from where i live and its so sad that she was never found. went riding her bike to find a butterfly and she vanishes without a trace its been a little over 30 years and still never been found how sad im gona take a trip up to where she was taken with a friend of mine who has visions i duno but we will see what happens

Cypros said:
The case that always pops into my mind when I hear about a child disappearing while camping or hiking is the case of little Laura Bradbury (3 years old) who disappeared fom her family's campsite in Joshua Tree National Park (near Palm Springs, CA) in 1984. There was a big search and I remember daily updates in the news for quite some time. I have a vague memory that then child actor, Rick Schroeder, made some public pleas for her safe return. She was a distant relative of his.

I did a web search to try to find information about this case and only found some references which say that she was never found and is believed to have been abducted. I am surprised that her family doesn't have a website for her and that she is not on the official missing children sites (as far as I could find).

Anybody remember this case?

I have thought of this case many times over the past 20 years. I lived in Riverside, CA at the time. Also with a small daughter who resembled Laura.
It haunted me all through the Danielle Van Dam case. Wondering if Westerfield may have been camping at Joshua Tree when Laura disappeared.
Think about it.....Motorhomes, desert, little girl. I always felt that Danielle Van Dam was not his first victim.

Azlaw said:
You're right. Ken and Si were responsible for the deaths of these girls. They rode at Si's brother's barn and witnessed Ken's brother planting a bomb on Si's brother's car. (Si eventually succeeded in killing his brother years later). An assistant trainer, a young woman named Cherie, was asked to bring the car around to the front. The car exploded and she was killed. The three girls were witnesses, so Si had Ken kill them. Ken used his boat (which matched the description given by eyewitnesses) and then burned it. (he also collected insurance for the 'accident' to his boat).
Azlaw said:
The real mystery is where did Si's nephew, Frank Jayne Jr., put the body of Brach candy heiress Helen Brach. There have been books and movies about Helen Brach, but no one has ever found her body. Jayne's accomplice, Richard Bailey is in prison for life for his involvement in her murder.

This is my first post here. I found your post and this site because I did a google search to find out about the girls that were missing. I did not know Ken Hansen was a likely tie in. There was a recent story about this -
http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20050123-114635-5123r.htm
A horse trainer claims he shot her with the same people that were proven involved in killing three little boys killed in the 1950's and part of that whole Jayne/Hansen scene.

He claims Brach's body was then dumped via mob connections to the Inland Steel Mill in Indiana, which interestingly enough doesn’t seem that far from the Indiana Dunes. Either way, maybe that could be the tie in needed to Indiana for both Helen Brach and these girls to Indiana. There used to be a website that listed a lot of interesting stuff on the Jaynes. Frank Jayne had a son who died in Indiana and a house that burned in Indiana. I think they are getting closer to the truth of what really happened.

Is the information about Ken Hansen’s boat having been used to pick up the girls common knowledge? That is fascinating. I had never read that, but I do recall reading they had a picture or movie of the boat that picked them up from someone on the beach.

LinasK said:
There will be a candlelight vigil held for Ilene in the next few days, I forgot the exact date. It has been 16 years since she disappeared, she is gone, but not forgotten.
Update from Contra Costa Times:

"More than 16 years have passed since Mike and Maddi Misheloff last saw their daughter.
Sixteen years of worry. Sixteen years of wondering. And 16 years of candelight vigils to remember the horrible anniversary.
It was Jan. 30, 1989 when Ilene Misheloff, then 13 years old, left Wells Middle School in Dublin at the end of the school day. Ilene, dressed in a charcoal-gray pullover polo sweater and horizontally striped pink-and-gray skirt, was supposed to go to the Dublin Iceland rink for her lesson that afternoon.
She never showed up at the rink.
Detective Mike Toms with the Dublin police, who has been in charge of the Mischeloff case for more than three years, said his department gets a lead on Ilene about every other month.
Mike and Maddi Misheloff have not given up hope of finding Ilene. They and two other volunteers still operate the Ilene Misheloff Recovery Effort out of an office on Village Parkway.
Every Wednesday between 10a.m. and 2 p.m. they send out fliers with Ilene's information and a picture of what she may look like today to law enforcement and fire departments throughout the United States and Canada. Last week they sent out 500 envelopes."
For more information, visit www.find-ilene.org. Ilene Misheloff was 5 feet 3 inches tall and 115 pounds at the time of her disappearance. She has brown hair and brown eyes and wore braces on her teeth. Anyone with information is asked to call Dublin Police at 925-833-6670 or 1-800-635-6306, or the FBI at 415-553-7400.
A $95,000 reward is being offered.

I don't know, the cases that haunt me the most are the ones involving children that would be my age today. I can't help but think as I make major milestones "They should be making these too, or at least there parents should be able to see them." I can't imagine what it must be like for the parents of these children, all that uncertainty. Well, here are the Cold Cases that Haunt Me Most(in no particular order)
Karen Grajeda : Missing in 1996 from Arizona
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/grajeda_karen.html

Thomas Gibson : Missing in 1991from Oregon
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/gibson_thomas.html

Michael Hughes(most of you know about that twisted story)
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hughes_michael.html

Bryce Herda : Missing in 1995 from Washington
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/herda_bryce.html

Morgan Nick : Missing in 1995 from Arkansas
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/n/nick_morgan.html

Randi Evers : Missing in 1992 from Nevada - Something doesn't sit right with me on this, someone knows something they're not saying
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/e/evers_randi.html

Corrine Erstad : This one bothers me the most, it sucks that they can't try Guevara again, but I got a theory once suggesting that her case and Leeanna Warner's case could be related. Whatever works for you
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/e/erstad_corrine.html

I haven't had a chance to read through the entire thread yet, but I wanted to weigh in with the cold case file that I still pray about.

Morgan Nick
At 10:45 p.m. on June 9, 1995 in Alma, Arkansas, six year old Morgan Nick was abducted from a little league ball game by an unidentified man. She was attending the game with her mother and had joined some friends to catch lightning bugs. Morgan was last seen standing near her mother's car where she had stopped to empty sand from her shoes.

I think about Morgan all the time. I created a thread for her some time ago but I cant find it now. Morgans parents set up a foundation in her name and they believe Morgan is still alive. www.morgannick.com

Theres a letter from Morgans parents to her on the site and it broke my heart:
Dear Morgan,

We want you to know how special you are! You are a blessing we cannot live without. We feel cheated every day that goes by that we do not see your smile, hear your bubbly laughter or listen to your thoughts and ideas. We have never stopped believing that we will find you. We are saving all our hugs and kisses for you. Always know that you are loved. Most of all, don't ever give up. We will find you. We promise!

Love,
Mom and Dad

Prayers for Morgan and all missing children..........

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back