WA WA - D.B. Cooper hijacking mystery, 24 Nov 1971 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
DB Cooper case has always interested me since I was a kid. Very interesting case. I have always wondered how anyone would of survived a parachuting from a Boeing 727. I know money had been found not too long before Mount St. Helens erupted.

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/woman-claims-d-b-1070683.html?cxtype=rss_news_81960

In an interview aired Wednesday on ABC's "Good Morning America," Marla Cooper said she had provided the FBI with evidence -- including a photo and a guitar strap -- that could help prove her uncle, Lynn Doyle Cooper, was the man who parachuted out of a Boeing 727 airliner with $200,000 and vanished. She said Cooper survived the plunge but died in 1999.

"I'm certain he was my uncle, Lynn Doyle Cooper. Who we called L.D. Cooper," she told ABC News.

Boy, does this story sound like rubbish. Why would the guy use his real last name? And if so, why would they not know who he was/is? And how can they say they're closer than they've ever been if this new information means "authorities aren't necessarily on the verge of cracking the Cooper case"? What a crock.

Woman says her uncle was D.B. Cooper
---(AP)

ABC says it has confirmed from sources that the woman, Marla Cooper, is the person who tipped the FBI to what the agency has said is a promising lead to solve the 40--year-old case.
---
Marla Cooper told ABC:

"My two uncles, who I only saw at holiday time, were planning something very mischievous. I was watching them using some very expensive walkie-talkies that they had purchased," she said.
---
A day later, Northwest Orient flight 305 was hijacked, and her uncle L.D. Cooper came home claiming to have been in a car accident.

"My uncle L.D. was wearing a white t-shirt and he was bloody and bruised and a mess, and I was horrified. I began to cry. My other uncle, who was with L.D., said Marla just shut up and go get your dad," she said.
---
"I heard my uncle say we did it, our money problems are over, we hijacked an airplane," she said.
---
much more at Seattle Post-Intelligencer link above
---
(ABC)

Marla Cooper told ABC News that she has provided the FBI with a guitar strap and a Christmas photo of a man pictured with the same strap who she says is her uncle, Lynn Doyle Cooper.

After clarifying her childhood memories surrounding the incident and more recent conversations with her parents, she is now sure that her uncle is in fact the notorious man who hijacked and threatened to blow up a commercial plane flying to Seattle in 1971, then parachuted to the ground with $200,000 in hand.

"I'm certain he was my uncle, Lynn Doyle Cooper. Who we called L.D. Cooper," she told ABC News.

Marla Cooper is working on a book about her belief that her uncle is the hijacker, but that is not her main motivation for coming forward.
---
lengthy article including video at ABC link below:

D.B. Cooper ABC Exclusive: Did Niece Provide Key Evidence?
----
----
----
FBI not publicly confirming info at this time; more at AP link below:
(AP most recent)
---
[The lead] focuses on a suspect who died more than 10 years ago. Marla Cooper did not say in her ABC interview when her uncle died.
---
FBI agent Fred Gutt said Monday that the agency was following up on a "credible" new lead in the unsolved D.B. Cooper case. Gutt declined Wednesday to say whether Marla Cooper was connected to that lead, which focuses on a suspect who died more than 10 years ago. Marla Cooper did not say in her ABC interview when her uncle died.
---
Investigators have tested a guitar strap from the suspect who is the subject of the new lead, Gutt said Wednesday, but found it wasn't suitable for fingerprint analysis. They are now working with family members to identify other items that can be analyzed. But the FBI doesn't have a timeframe for how long it will take to vet the lead, which is something they've known about for more than a year, Gutt said.---
Oklahoma Woman Claims Famed Hijacker D.B. Cooper Is Her Uncle
Posted: Aug 3, 2011 2:39 PM EDT

YouTube ABC Marla Cooper video here.

I don't think a hijacker would use his real last name. The uncle does not look like DB Cooper. I doubt someone who carried off this crime would say, "I'm rich, I hijacked a plane" in front of an 8 yr old girl. Someone so careful not to leave fingerprints and took his empty matchbook cover with him is not going to tell an 8 yr old girl his crime. The neice has a book coming out....she may think DB Cooper is her uncle but I don't.

I would tend to discount this version of the story were it not for the FBI announcing that they had their "most promising lead" since 1971, and ABC's verifying from sources that this is the new lead in question. Usually, the FBI does not comment on new leads until the information has worked its way to MSM, and then only grudgingly.

I watched it and it's more or less what was in the written format.

They apparently have a partial DNA from a clip on tie left on the plane. I don't really don't know much about DNA, but depending on certain stuff it's possible to link to an area if not a female relative. I wont be holding my breath though.

I first heard of D.B. Cooper from ABC's FBI: The Untold Stories. Always fascinated me.

By Steve Olafson | Reuters – 8 hrs agoOKLAHOMA CITY (Reuters) - A woman claiming to be the niece of the mysterious skyjacker dubbed D.B. Cooper, who bailed out of a jetliner 40 years ago with $200,000 in ransom, says she recalls her uncle plotting the sensational caper at a family gathering in 1971. Marla Wynn Cooper, 48, of Oklahoma City, said on Wednesday that she was the person who furnished investigators new clues to a previously unknown suspect, sparking a renewed probe of a case the FBI counts as the only unsolved hijacking in U.S. aviation history.
The woman told Reuters she gave the FBI a leather guitar strap made by her uncle, now dead for over a decade, along with a photo of him with the same strap, to be examined for fingerprints that might match those from the plane.
"They were never going to close this case without someone knowing the truth," she said, adding she underwent a polygraph test administered by the FBI to assess her credibility.
In an interview at a downtown Oklahoma City restaurant, she recalled seeing L.D. Cooper engrossed in suspicious behavior with another uncle, Dewey Cooper, during a holiday gathering at her grandmother's house in Oregon before Thanksgiving 1971.
She said the two men, both brothers of her father, appeared to be secretly planning something as they experimented with sophisticated walkie-talkies, then left the family gathering for what they said was a turkey hunt.
They returned Thanksgiving Day with her uncle bloodied and bruised, claiming he had been in an automobile accident.
"I looked in the car ... for a turkey, and what I see instead is my uncle injured," she said. "I started to cry and said, 'What happened?' They told me they'd been in a car wreck, and I said, 'The car is fine. What were you driving?' My uncle Dewey said, 'Marla, shut up. Go get your dad."
Later while eavesdropping, Cooper said, she overheard her Uncle Dewey say, "'Our money problems are over. We just have to go back and get the money. L.D. hijacked the airplane.'" more at link: http://news.yahoo.com/woman-claims-1971-hijacker-d-b-cooper-her-072547811.html

Is 'Uncle L.D.' the notorious skyjacker D.B. Cooper? Experts are skeptical. (Christian Science Monitor)
---
"Uncle L.D. is so far just Uncle L.D.," says author Geoffrey Gray, who dug through troves of FBI files about the case to write the upcoming book, "Skyjack: The hunt for D.B. Cooper." He adds, "I think it's compelling that people want to come forward with suspects and want the case solved, but you have to have some evidence beyond memories and second-hand information."
---
Ms. Cooper's mother, Grace Hailey, added her suspicions in an interview with ABC News on Thursday. "I've always had a gut feeling it was L.D.," Ms. Hailey said. "What I didn't know [was almost worse] than what I did know, because whenever the topic came up, it immediately got cut off again."
---
I note that the skeptical expert (singular) also has a book coming out.

By Steve Olafson | Reuters – 8 hrs agoOKLAHOMA CITY (Reuters) - A woman claiming to be the niece of the mysterious skyjacker dubbed D.B. Cooper, who bailed out of a jetliner 40 years ago with $200,000 in ransom, says she recalls her uncle plotting the sensational caper at a family gathering in 1971. Marla Wynn Cooper, 48, of Oklahoma City, said on Wednesday that she was the person who furnished investigators new clues to a previously unknown suspect, sparking a renewed probe of a case the FBI counts as the only unsolved hijacking in U.S. aviation history.
The woman told Reuters she gave the FBI a leather guitar strap made by her uncle, now dead for over a decade, along with a photo of him with the same strap, to be examined for fingerprints that might match those from the plane.
"They were never going to close this case without someone knowing the truth," she said, adding she underwent a polygraph test administered by the FBI to assess her credibility.
In an interview at a downtown Oklahoma City restaurant, she recalled seeing L.D. Cooper engrossed in suspicious behavior with another uncle, Dewey Cooper, during a holiday gathering at her grandmother's house in Oregon before Thanksgiving 1971.
She said the two men, both brothers of her father, appeared to be secretly planning something as they experimented with sophisticated walkie-talkies, then left the family gathering for what they said was a turkey hunt.
They returned Thanksgiving Day with her uncle bloodied and bruised, claiming he had been in an automobile accident.
"I looked in the car ... for a turkey, and what I see instead is my uncle injured," she said. "I started to cry and said, 'What happened?' They told me they'd been in a car wreck, and I said, 'The car is fine. What were you driving?' My uncle Dewey said, 'Marla, shut up. Go get your dad."
Later while eavesdropping, Cooper said, she overheard her Uncle Dewey say, "'Our money problems are over. We just have to go back and get the money. L.D. hijacked the airplane.'" more at link: http://news.yahoo.com/woman-claims-1971-hijacker-d-b-cooper-her-072547811.html
The only thing I find amazing about this is the F.B.I during the initial investigation and in the 40 years since...never bothered to look at a guy named 'L.D.(freaking)Cooper' who worked at Boeing in Seattle??????
Beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members