Found Deceased NH - Celina Cass, 11, Stewartstown, 25 July 2011 #10 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion only:

Assuming that this was a murder (and the police have not thus far confirmed even this much) the police seem to be lacking direct evidence tying one person directly to the crime. Basically, from the look of things, they have nothing.

Nor is there really any reason to believe that the toxicology tests will shed any light on this case -- first because the results have almost certainly been in police hands for days, and second because these tests were most likely done to cover all the bases and potential defense objections rather than revealing new information.

I do not believe that the DA's office is pretending to be baffled so they can spring some divinely brilliant trap to catch the bad guy. I think they have a very good idea who did it, and as happens all too often, no evidence to actually prove it. Hopefully, if nothing else, they will release the information they do have.

Sadly, it is looking like this will be yet another case in which the victim's family and friends see no justice.

My opinion only:

Assuming that this was a murder (and the police have not thus far confirmed even this much) the police seem to be lacking direct evidence tying one person directly to the crime. Basically, from the look of things, they have nothing.

Nor is there really any reason to believe that the toxicology tests will shed any light on this case -- first because the results have almost certainly been in police hands for days, and second because these tests were most likely done to cover all the bases and potential defense objections rather than revealing new information.

I do not believe that the DA's office is pretending to be baffled so they can spring some divinely brilliant trap to catch the bad guy. I think they have a very good idea who did it, and as happens all too often, no evidence to actually prove it. Hopefully, if nothing else, they will release the information they do have.

Sadly, it is looking like this will be yet another case in which the victim's family and friends see no justice.

BBM

I like your posts, Chris_Texas. I like it when people take the time to look at things from all sides and you really get me thinking at times.

That said, I don't think that the DA's office is pretending to be baffled. What it looks like to me is that JY is simply being quite and not releasing any information. Granted, she isn't going on TV or making statements saying "I didn't say that the autopsy failed to show a cause of death. I said it was pending." She is just letting the news people do what they do and print what they print while she gets her ducks in a row.

While I agree that having found Celina in water will make the case difficult, and even more so if the person responsible was actually in the house, since the scene is most likely tainted and the people that live in the house would be expected to have their fingerprints and DNA everywhere anyway. And I do agree that it will be a difficult case. But the fact that JY isn't really asking for information in the case, I tend to think they are getting everything straight.

I also agree with MsFacetious and read the comment "they haven't been able to follow a potential lead in finding out exactly what happened to her...." as meaning that there really is someone they need to talk to. I have no idea who that person is at this point, but I trust her that they have leads they are following and need to follow.

"This amount of time shouldn't signal to anybody that we've reached the end of the road," Young said. "That's certainly not the way we view it."

Another thing that I find interesting is that now it is being reported in MSM not that WN is hospitalized, but that he is actually "no longer lives in the house with the mother." And that LCN says she can't be "a part of that right now." It also says WN has been in and out of the hospital several times since this happened, and I can only remember him going in twice and out once. Do we have a recent report from anyone reputable that states he is still in? If not, when was the last time we heard that he was still in the hospital?

ETA: When I said a few days ago that JY likes the element of surprise, I do not mean that in a way that she is playing games. Just that she remains tight lipped and seems to put everyone on a "need to know" basis in these cases, which I think is exactly as it should be.

Cass investigators to announce reward at Thursday press conference

Attorney General Michael Delaney said there will be a press conference at the Attorney General’s Office in Concord at 10 a.m. on Thursday to release information about the reward, as well as a fund set up to increase the reward

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news...stigators-to-announce-reward-at-thursday.html

Sorry if this has already been posted, this article looks new. This is disappointing to me. It makes me think they don't know what happened.

:( Sadly, that seems to change things a bit. A lot of my faith was riding on the fact that they weren't asking for information or help. :(

Me too :( I do wonder though, perhaps they do know but need more evidence? Perhaps they think someone out there saw something?

I don't know but it just makes me so sad.

Cass investigators to announce reward at Thursday press conference

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news...stigators-to-announce-reward-at-thursday.html

Sorry if this has already been posted, this article looks new. This is disappointing to me. It makes me think they don't know what happened.

This is definitely not good news. You do not offer a reward for information if you have enough for an arrest and conviction. From what was said in the article, it sounds to me like they don't even have enough info and evidence to identify a suspect. It'll be interesting to see if the AG gives a status update on the case or just mentions the reward.

BBM

I like your posts, Chris_Texas. I like it when people take the time to look at things from all sides and you really get me thinking at times.

Thanks! I always look forward to your posts as well.

That said, I don't think that the DA's office is pretending to be baffled. What it looks like to me is that JY is simply being quite and not releasing any information....

I hope that you are right.

While I agree that having found Celina in water will make the case difficult, and even more so if the person responsible was actually in the house, since the scene is most likely tainted and the people that live in the house would be expected to have their fingerprints and DNA everywhere anyway. And I do agree that it will be a difficult case. But the fact that JY isn't really asking for information in the case, I tend to think they are getting everything straight.

Apparently, if the posts following yours are accurate, they are now going to begin asking for information.

I believe that they do not know for sure, at this point, a cause of death. Nor do I necessarily believe that Celina was found wrapped in a blanket or anything else (as I have never heard this confirmed, even indirectly). I suspect that, lacking a cause (and probably location) of death, they have bloody little to work with and no where to focus their attention. No cause means no weapon. It is likely that the water immersion wrecked any DNA evidence they might have recovered, and even if it didn't it's not like a competent defense team would have too tricky of a time shredding family DNA evidence. It is also entirely possible that the prolonged immersion might well have made it very difficult to determine if she was or was not sexually assaulted, which might at least help narrow the field of suspects down a bit.

I also agree with MsFacetious and read the comment "they haven't been able to follow a potential lead in finding out exactly what happened to her...." as meaning that there really is someone they need to talk to. I have no idea who that person is at this point, but I trust her that they have leads they are following and need to follow.

I might be wrong, but I suspect that there isn' a detective or DA in America who doesn't claim to have some leads they are following up -- particularly in a high profile case like this one.

Another thing that I find interesting is that now it is being reported in MSM not that WN is hospitalized, but that he is actually "no longer lives in the house with the mother." And that LCN says she can't be "a part of that right now." It also says WN has been in and out of the hospital several times since this happened, and I can only remember him going in twice and out once. Do we have a recent report from anyone reputable that states he is still in? If not, when was the last time we heard that he was still in the hospital?

The report might not be accurate as to the number of times he has been in the hospital. NOTE: the family's statement here does not, to me, sound like an accusation against the step-dad but rather a statement that stands on it's own -- that this incident has created or ignited problems with his mental health, and that's more then they want to deal with at this time.

ETA: When I said a few days ago that JY likes the element of surprise, I do not mean that in a way that she is playing games. Just that she remains tight lipped and seems to put everyone on a "need to know" basis in these cases, which I think is exactly as it should be.

Yes, I know. I never assumed you meant otherwise :)

As I have been saying for a week, either there is evidence or there is not.

The police do not allow homicidal maniacs to walk the streets while they cross all the T's and dot all the I's. They do not need to have the entire case they intend to present to a jury complete before acting. If there is direct evidence, or sufficient circumstantial evidence to convince a judge that this is probably the right person they make the arrest. They do not even need to have all the charges finalized at this time.

Nor do they need to worry particularly about bail. We are talking about a suspected child killer here -- the judge can refuse bail altogether based upon the threat to the community and the threat to the suspect.

For an interesting read about pre-trial detention:

http://themoderatevoice.com/95976/the-sixth-amendment-and-pretrial-detention/

NOTE: I am not a lawyer and cannot say how accurate any of this is.

DISCLAIMER: The above is my OPINION only. Unless stated otherwise, I neither claim nor imply any inside knowlege or expert opinion about any subject I happen to be discussing. The reader assumes full responsibility for any conclusions my writing might have led them to reach. Think for yourself!

I enjoy all of the posts here and they really make me stop and think BUT in my opinion I don't this this case will ever be solved. I hope I am wrong.

I enjoy all of the posts here and they really make me stop and think BUT in my opinion I don't this this case will ever be solved. I hope I am wrong.

I believe it will but it's far from being solved. The day it was announced the autopsy was "inconclusive", I suspected this wasn't a slam dunk. I'm not sure what toxicology would reveal.....probably nothing. IMO, Celina was murdered but the cast of characters in her short life may be an issue. Who? What? When? Where? How?

People like us, who are (for whatever reason) interested in crime and what not, seem to focus on the minutiae of a case. We debate this or that clue, scraps of evidence, single words, odd looks, DNA and now even fragments of DNA, and we try to make sense of all these micro bits of data. Knowing peoples love of mysteries and puzzles, the media and fiction plays this up. Sherlock Holmes used his crime fighting powers of observation and logic to solve impossible mysteries. CSI programs create the illusion that modern forensic scientists fight crime and crack cases in their laboratories better than the cops on the beat. Following "Silence of the Lambs," Hollywood and the major book publishers unleashed a tsunami of crime fiction starring heroic women psycological profilers cracking cases (and glass ceilings) using nothing more than their keen intuition and psychological savy.

There is nothing wrong with this of course -- it's human nature.

But I can say (from experience in the case of this assertion) that real crimes are generally pretty simple. And further, that these micro scraps we discuss are nothing more than official fictions. By this I mean: people report things, they describe events, and those events enter the official record and are debated. However, in the real world even events so horrific and shocking that you know they will stay in your mind forever, are usually remembered with a whole lot less detail then the reports suggest -- even when those reports are written mere minutes after the event by people trained in the art of paying attention and used to traumatic incidents.

People usually forget or fail to notice all kinds of things. They don't know the exact time, or how long; they don't know exactly who said what; they often do not even know who it was that was standing two feet away. But every one of those details are eventually filled into the reports, and they become the official fiction I mentioned above.

The one thing people do know is WHAT HAPPENED. They know the important big picture.

In law enforcement this is certainly the case. Unlike in the movies, in real life the evidence is usually right there -- and you probably don't even need to be Sherlock Holmes or a CSI guy to see it. The killer is usually the guy standing there covered with blood trying to hide his chainsaw, or the ex-boyfriend with the restraining order, no alibi, and the victims blood in his car. And when it's not, well, you have problems.

That's where the 40% of so of unsolved murders come from -- the cases where there was no trail of blood, no ex-boyfriend, no witnesses. Even when the police are pretty sure they know who did it, they don't have the proof, and unlike the movies the CSI stuff works a whole lot better at confirming suspicions and winning cases than discovering who did it in the first place.

I had hoped that in this case the police had something solid. It appears now that they probably do not.

DISCLAIMER: The above is my OPINION only. Unless stated otherwise, I neither claim nor imply any inside knowlege or expert opinion about any subject I happen to be discussing. The reader assumes full responsibility for any conclusions my writing might have led them to reach. Do not read while operating heavy machinery.

:( Sadly, that seems to change things a bit. A lot of my faith was riding on the fact that they weren't asking for information or help. :(
The preliminary autopsy didn't give them all of the answers they need. CC's autopsy is not complete yet. A autopsy is never complete until all pending test results are offical.
I feel Ms. Young is making certain she has a rock solid case. Maybe when we least expect it, the ball will start rolling.
Celina deserves justice.

My opinion only:

BBM

Please reserve judgment for the time being and give AAG Jane Young some more time here.....

Did you follow the Krista Dittmeyer case on WS? If not, you may want to check out those threads if you have a little time.

Thank you for sharing.

The preliminary autopsy didn't give them all of the answers they need. CC's autopsy is not complete yet. A autopsy is never complete until all pending test results are offical.
I feel Ms. Young is making certain she has a rock solid case. Maybe when we least expect it, the ball will start rolling.
Celina deserves justice.

BBM

Yes, yes, and YES!!!

Thank you for sharing your insight.

BBM

Please reserve judgment for the time being and give AAG Jane Young some more time here.....

Did you follow the Krista Dittmeyer case on WS? If not, you may want to check out those threads if you have a little time.

Thank you for sharing.

I did. Not here at WS but at IS. I don't recall JY posting a reward for information after her body was found. Did she? I may have missed it.

In that case, there was a lot more evidence of some drug deal gone bad. Heck, even some posters figured it out. Sorry I don't see the similarities at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8