Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

From the above link:

"We will not release any information about any evidence found just to satisfy the curiosity and in no way will we take part of or participate in any press release that would exploit her or her family. We will not make any assumptions, or statements about this case, name persons of interest and suspects unless it is backed up by evidence and only then if it will be beneficial to this investigation."

Sheriff Box's own words. NO suspects, NO persons of interest have been named. For all we know, the husband could be as devastated by her disappearance as anyone else in the family.
I was merely pointing out that none of us should be assuming that the husband is the perpetrator until LE names him as a suspect. We should also not be detailing very explicit theories assuming things that are not in evidence at this time. If that disturbs some, so be it.
Very few things are going to make sense until the investigation is complete and LE releases that information. If everything fell into place, they would have the case solved by now and a suspect in custody.

This is a very tough day for me and my family. As we give thanks for all of our blessings, it is still hard not knowing where our friend is. :(

Thanks to everyone who continually check in and post updates to keep Karen's case very important.

Just talked to Karen's mom. She spent today with the grandkids. She and the kids need all the prayers they can get.

I was thinking of you and Karen's family yesterday. I can't imagine what you are all going through. I pray you find her very soon, especially for the sake of her children.

Does anyone know the ages of the children and the sleeping arrangements? Is the older son who is speaking out living at the home? Or is he off at college or on his own? Who all was home that night?

Does anyone know the ages of the children and the sleeping arrangements? Is the older son who is speaking out living at the home? Or is he off at college or on his own? Who all was home that night?

I was told by someone that both sons have taken off school until at least after Christmas....the younger son is in college at UTM (Martin Tn. branch of University of Tn) and I am not sure about the older son...maybe is in college in Arkansas.
I am not positive of the younger children's ages maybe 6 and 9.

The older boys are out of the home - gone to college. One of the boys just happens to be going to the same college as HB was. I can't believe that the guy who is trying to tie HB's case and Karen's case together hasn't named this fact yet. I still don't buy that these cases are related, just an interesting fact.

Does this family currently have a dog?

This seems like another case where it is convenient that there was no dog to bark (like the Rebecca Zahau case).

The older boys are out of the home - gone to college. One of the boys just happens to be going to the same college as HB was. I can't believe that the guy who is trying to tie HB's case and Karen's case together hasn't named this fact yet. I still don't buy that these cases are related, just an interesting fact.

I believe HB's is a college around her area...an offshoot of UTM. I looked it up one time early on,hth. UTM has several satellite or whatever you call them but KS' son goes to UTM (which is at Martin,Tn.) I believe HB went to Parson,TN but I may be wrong.

I see several possibilities as suspects in the case. I think there are still some questions that need answered before the field is narrowed to a specific suspect. Perhaps LE has already answered these questions and others that have narrowed the field for them.

According to earlier reports, KS dressed in her PJ's and went to bed with her ailing 9-y-o daughter. Have the PJ's she was reported wearing that night (her daughter would know) been found inside the home? I know that some of KS's clothes have been located in brush near her vehicle. But, if her PJ's are missing, she was probably wearing them when she disappeared and the clothes were likely planted by the perpetrator. If the PJ's were found inside the home, then KS likely got dressed and left the house of her own accord with a purpose in mind.

IF Karen's disappearance is related to domestic violence, I don't see it as being premeditated. Not with two young children -- including one sick child -- in the house. Any plans of violence would have been aborted once the children were in the house. IF domestic violence was involved at all, it likely occurred in a moment of rage (what condition was she in when she was seen "at the bottom of the stairs"?) with plenty of time to plan a cover-up before daylight.

I am still contemplating as possible suspects the neighbor with whom the Swifts had a dispute and the RSO in the vicinity.

JMO

I believe HB's is a college around her area...an offshoot of UTM. I looked it up one time early on,hth. UTM has several satellite or whatever you call them but KS' son goes to UTM (which is at Martin,Tn.) I believe HB went to Parson,TN but I may be wrong.

Isn't it HB's brother who went to UTM?

Thanks for the link.

Interesting that her cell phone pinged at the same time her ex husband apparently saw her at the bottom of the stairs. Wasn't it 5 am?

The above statement confirms that they don't believe she took off, imo.

:(

BBM

According to her husband, he seen her at the stairs when she arrived home with the sick child. Which would have been around 1:30 AM. Where in the article does it say she was on the stairs at 5:00 AM which would have been the approximate time the phone was known to connect to the internet?

Also an interesting clue from the article that the phone automatically connected to the internet. Which means Karen could have been dead long before 5:00 AM. That really opens up the time line and does not necessarily place the phone with Karen when she was alive.

The way I look at it this could mean one of three things.

1. Karen's phone was left with her body somewhere and it automatically connected to the internet and than the phone went dead?
  2. The phone was disposed of in one location and her body in another? Perhaps being thrown off a bridge as the perp drove over the river in one direction or the other.
  3. Karen's body was being transported at the time her phone automatically connected to the internet and the river has nothing to do with where she will be found?

My gut tells me you find the phone you will find Karen. I don't think she is in the water or the phone would have likely turned off prior to the automatic internet connection. IIRC we know the phone turned off moments after the 5:00 AM (internet connection) ping. The chances of the phone connecting to the internet just prior to her body being thrown in the river (which would have turned off the phone) are slim. I think her body might have been being transported at the time when her phone automatically connect to the internet and the phone just happened to be near the river at the time. The phone battery could have been low at this time and the automatic internet connection was enough to shut the phone down. Either way I think it gives the general direction as to which way to look for her body if she is in fact dead.

That activity from her phone was reported to have been an automatic Internet access by the phone itself and not by an individual.

http://www.stategazette.com/story/1788118.html

BBM

According to her husband, he seen her at the stairs when she arrived home with the sick child. Which would have been around 1:30 AM. Where in the article does it say she was on the stairs at 5:00 AM which would have been the approximate time the phone was known to connect to the internet?

I'm sure I read it here. I'll see if I can locate it.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153367&page=22

Post #541

I misread it. Nancy Grace is the one who asked if it was 5 am but the brother didn't know the time.

Looking at that aerial of their home, the path, the body of water.. I hope LE does a better job than the Orlando police did as far as looking "close to home" in the Casey Anthony case..

BBM

The map below is from Otto's post in thread one. Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - TN TN - Karen Swift, 44, Dyersburg, 30 Oct 2011

I remembered this map because if shows many paths that are not seen on the other aerial maps that have been displayed here on WS. Perhaps this photo was taken in the fall when the leaves were off the trees. One of the path you can see is leading from the Swift house (outlined by the yellow shading) to the neighbors house which would have been in the direction the of where the car was found. If Karen would have been walking (jogging) home from the car after getting a flat tire she could have used this path. Also if someone had staged the car with a flat they could have returned to the Swift home using this path so they would not be seen walking along the road by other motorists passing by. Assuming Mr. Swift parked the car and flattened the tire he surly wouldn't have wanted someone to come forward and report to LE that they seen him walking towards his home from the direction of where the car was found if he in fact had parked the car there early that morning. So it makes me think if he did park the car where it was found and flattened the tire he would have taken the trails home to avoid being seen walking along the road. Perhaps Karen's clothing was found along one of these trails which would indicate that the perp was using one of these trails as a way to get back home unseen. We know from the following article that Karen's clothing was found between the Swift home and the intersection where the vehicle was found. That is a strange place for her clothing to be found if a stranger abducted her. A stranger would have likely had been driving in a car when he came upon her with the flat tire or if she was walking/jogging on the road and then drove her off against her will. I doubt a stranger would have left their car along the road and taken her in the woods between her house and where her car was located, killed her and then went to the trouble of removing her body to a different location, but left the clothing behind.

We know from one of her friends that the clothing was found under or in some brush near where the car was found. It is reported differently in different articles. Under brush makes me think the clothing was purposely hidden. I don't think if Karen was abducted by a stranger they would have placed her clothing under some brush to maybe try and hide it either.

Investigators found possible evidence between Swift's home and the intersection where her vehicle was found.

“We're fairly confident that some of the items we got will definitely be tied to this case,” Box told abc24.com.

The state crime lab will have to analyze the items to know for sure. In the meantime, whether it's by air or by ground, investigators are searching for clues to find a Dyer County mother who seems to have vanished without a trace.

http://www.abc24.com/news/local/sto...yer-County-Mother/cE-5rMt_ZkiC57KpAcQ3Fw.cspx

swiftpropertymap.jpg

I agree that the neighbor remains a concern. Anyone who kills animals in that manner is a concern. It's just not clear how he could have gotten access to Karen.

One possibility is that she might have gotten up to go get something, like medicine, trying not to wake anyone, driven only a short way before realizing the tire was flat (perhaps flattened on purpose just to make trouble for her, or perhaps lying in wait). She turned around to go home. Then someone - blocked the path of her car? Forced her out with a gun?

It is sad that Karen had more than one troublesome relationship in her life and couldn't seem to find a way to get away from them.

I thought that I read an article last week that said that the neighbor was cleared from being a suspect in Karen's disappearance. Am I dreaming?

@Joe Friday ... here are a couple of paths that could have been taken from the car to the house. Below shows the ravines a little better

swift-paths.gif

swift-paths2.gif

@Joe Friday ... here are a couple of paths that could have been taken from the car to the house. Below shows the ravines a little better

swift-paths.gif

swift-paths2.gif

You are the master of maps. That is for sure.

I thought that I read an article last week that said that the neighbor was cleared from being a suspect in Karen's disappearance. Am I dreaming?

I don't think you're dreaming. My understanding is that the Swift dog went to the man's property and may have been poisoned. Not sure where I read this, but I think another dog was also poisoned. I think the Swift dog was treated and released. It seems like the man had some kind of poison on his property, perhaps for other animals, and the dogs got into it. Sorry ... no links ... and it could be rumor.

You did read an article saying the neighbor who had set out poison was cleared from being a suspect. You are not dreaming.

Because Hogshooter allegedly poisoned Swift's dog and lives in close proximity to her residence, investigators impounded his vehicle and searched his home after she went missing. Authorities did not find any items connecting him to Swift's disappearance and do not consider him a suspect.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/09/karen-johnson-swift-missing-clothing_n_1084468.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charity4668