ME ME - Ayla Reynolds, 20 mnths, Waterville, 17 December 2011 - # 6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a very juicy tidbit; i.e. that Justin left the home around midnight. I wonder the source, where he went, and if it's true.

That poster 'Saint' on the Sentinel writes some neat stuff.

I saw that too and it's the first I've heard it.

http://www.mainekids-kin.org/LegalGuideChapterOne.html#chapterone

Just information re: JD getting Ayla from the grandma and aunt...(an informal placement?)

Furthermore:

From reading this, it seems as though TR and family think that DHHS did something wrong, but that may not be the case. Just because TR wanted her family to care for Ayla in her absence doesn't mean JD had to agree to it---he still had parental rights and chose to exercise them. Seems like the "connection" between PD and a caseworker may not really matter...JMO

However, if the Reynolds' posted timeline of events and information is accurate, then it would be wrong of DHHS to not enforce the visitation with Trista the day after the "team meeting", and Ayla's return to her mother's care as was agreed to by all involved parties. From reading what was written, that is what I understood Trista's issues with DHHS to be.

The only money she is "plugging" is to increase the reward fund as stated on her website for Ayla. Neither LostNMissing nor Laura Recovery Center has any roles whatsoever with any monies donated nor managing or accepting any donations on behalf of either efforts of JD or TR as it comes to their fundraising efforts and donations to any Ayla Fund. neither organization collects nor asks for money for any clients. We can only advise the families as to what they should do to be in compliance..but we have no control on what either may do.

As someone mentioned earlier, that's part of the reason why there will be no promoting of fundraising by PH, he will only tell people to donate to organizations like the ones you mentioned...

However, if the Reynolds' posted timeline of events and information is accurate, then it would be wrong of DHHS to not enforce the visitation with Trista the day after the "team meeting", and Ayla's return to her mother's care as was agreed to by all involved parties. From reading what was written, that is what I understood Trista's issues with DHHS to be.

You're right, I too wonder why the supervision and turn over was not enforced. I have attended family team meetings though, and usually there are stipulations that have to be met BEFORE any visitation can occur. For example, if a parent has a drug problem, they have to have 2 clean urinalysis tests before visitation will even be considered. Other times, people have to complete anger management (or at least be making progress) or a bond assessment.

Right now, all we have to go on is TR's perspective, and it may be a little slanted since she seems to think the "system" is against her.

That is a very juicy tidbit; i.e. that Justin left the home around midnight. I wonder the source, where he went, and if it's true.

That poster 'Saint' on the Sentinel writes some neat stuff.

MY son is 23 and lives with his gf. [ no kids though.] But sometimes after his gf is asleep he goes to In N Out around midnight for a burger. Are there any late night drive throughs or restaurants in Waterville?

BBM

I agree with the bolded above. But my question is about the legal paternity
paperwork. AFAIK, there was never any legal verification of paternity. Correct?

See, this is where I'm confused too. As far as I can tell, JD is the putative father and putative fathers don't have ANY rights. They have to go through the court system to establish paternity and then get court ordered visitation.

I just don't understand how he could have just showed up with LE and taken Ayla without a court order. It doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't know about all of you, but for me it is a thought provoking experience to sort through old paperwork (I don't have computer files--yet). Today I was involved in such an exercise trying to weed out various documents from before I retired almost ten years ago.

Part of my work before I retired involved interface with Native American tribal authorities in Maine. As I was sorting through my paperwork, the process triggered a memory that the tribes I dealt with (four, if I remember correctly) had "tribal sovereignty," and the laws on each of their tribal lands differed from the areas that surrounded their lands. The respective tribal councils had jurisdiction over the reservation--not the federal, state, or local government; this fact can create a myriad of legal, administrative, and political challenges.

Thinking too much can be a dangerous occupation for me so that is the disclaimer for the speculation that is involved in this post; my idea is just speculation. If Ayla is currently living on tribal land in Maine, no one from "outside" may know she is even there. Please remember I am not suggesting she IS living on tribal land, and furthermore I have no reason to believe from my own experience that tribal leaders would be complicit in such a scenario, I'm merely offering my idea for your possible contemplation. In addition I know of no connection among either of Ayla's parents, their respective families and friends, and any tribal member in Maine or elsewhere, but then again there is a LOT about Ayla's being missing I don't know--and I read her threads religiously.

Thoughts anyone?

See, this is where I'm confused too. As far as I can tell, JD is the putative father and putative fathers don't have ANY rights. They have to go through the court system to establish paternity and then get court ordered visitation.

I just don't understand how he could have just showed up with LE and taken Ayla without a court order. It doesn't make any sense to me.

In the new timeline from TR/Family on aylareynolds.com, it says that JD was ordered by DHHS to pay back child support in December 2010 after having a paternity test.

In the new timeline from TR/Family on aylareynolds.com, it says that JD was ordered by DHHS to pay back child support in December 2010 after having a paternity test.

Was Ayla born in April of 2010? If so, that would ring true (the paternity test/back child support) because the lightofmaine website said he didn't learn about her until she was 7 months old....

BBM

It doesn't stand to reason that a LE officer would allow JD to have "taken Ayla" without proper judicial documentation. Are we certain this is what actually happened?

According to Trista's statement there was a paternity test done and Justin was ordered to pay back child support to Dec. 2010. If this is true then paternity was established.

I had thought that all along, and thinking it may have been motive for him taking custody. Many people think they can take care of a child cheaper than pay child support.

I don't know about all of you, but for me it is a thought provoking experience to sort through old paperwork (I don't have computer files--yet). Today I was involved in such an exercise trying to weed out various documents from before I retired almost ten years ago.

Part of my work before I retired involved interface with Native American tribal authorities in Maine. As I was sorting through my paperwork, the process triggered a memory that the tribes I dealt with (four, if I remember correctly) had "tribal sovereignty," and the laws on each of their tribal lands differed from the areas that surrounded their lands. The respective tribal councils had jurisdiction over the reservation--not the federal, state, or local government; this fact can create a myriad of legal, administrative, and political challenges.

Thinking too much can be a dangerous occupation for me so that is the disclaimer for the speculation that is involved in this post; my idea is just speculation. If Ayla is currently living on tribal land in Maine, no one from "outside" may know she is even there. Please remember I am not suggesting she IS living on tribal land, and furthermore I have no reason to believe from my own experience that tribal leaders would be complicit in such a scenario, I'm merely offering my idea for your possible contemplation. In addition I know of no connection among either of Ayla's parents, their respective families and friends, and any tribal member in Maine or elsewhere, but then again there is a LOT about Ayla's being missing I don't know--and I read her threads religiously.

Thoughts anyone?

Well...that is interesting, when you think about the possibilities of where she could be hidden if alive and not being found.

Here is info regarding your "off the wall idea" (smile)

The states required by Public Law 280 to assume civil and criminal jurisdiction over federal Indian lands were Alaska (except the Metlakatla Indian Community on the Annette Island Reserve, which maintains criminal jurisdiction), California, Minnesota (except the Red Lake Reservation), Nebraska, Oregon (except the Warm Springs Reservation), and Wisconsin. In addition, the federal government gave up all special criminal jurisdiction in these states over Indian offenders and victims. The states that elected to assume full or partial jurisdiction were Arizona (1967), Florida (1961), Idaho (1963, subject to tribal consent), Iowa (1967), Montana (1963), Nevada (1955), North Dakota (1963, subject to tribal consent), South Dakota (1957-1961), Utah (1971), and Washington (1957-1963).

Subsequent acts of Congress, court decisions, and state actions to retrocede jurisdiction back to the Federal Government have muted some of the effects of the 1953 law, and strengthened the tribes’ jurisdiction over civil and criminal matters on their reservations.

http://www.bia.gov/FAQs/index.htm

Your idea isn't outside the realm of possibility...I just know how plausible it is...

Was Ayla born in April of 2010? If so, that would ring true (the paternity test/back child support) because the lightofmaine website said he didn't learn about her until she was 7 months old....

She was born 4-4-2010

'Course another source said he wanted her to get an abortion, so again, two sides, two stories.

I linked to this site earlier, I'll repeat it again because it has lots of useful info when trying to understand the dynamics of DHHS (at least for me!)

http://www.mainekids-kin.org/LegalGuideChapterThree.html#chapterthree

If the caseworker and the parents do not agree to a plan, and the caseworker feels the child is in jeopardy, the caseworker will file a Child Protection Petition with the District Court. This petition asks the judge to order a plan to protect the child. DHHS has the authority to ask law enforcement to remove a child from the parent’s care for a maximum of 6 hours without going to Court to get an order. This is called a
6 hour hold.

Perhaps a court order was later obtained? This says it can be done without a court order, and it also answers the question earlier of whether LE or CPS remove kids. We need more facts in this case!

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks, Kiln Wood! I applaud your thinking outside the box! I know that you are not making any assumptions, but are just putting out a new angle.
With all of the disparities in information surrounding Ayla's case, I think it is good to shake up our (my) brains so that we (I) can avoid tunnel vision.

Personally, I do not have an experienced perspective on the area in Maine, nor in legalities regarding Native American Reservations, so maybe I am not very much help. But yours may just be the clue to take us on a productive sleuth experience! :seeya:

I linked to this site earlier, I'll repeat it again because it has lots of useful info when trying to understand the dynamics of DHHS (at least for me!)

http://www.mainekids-kin.org/LegalGuideChapterThree.html#chapterthree

If the caseworker and the parents do not agree to a plan, and the caseworker feels the child is in jeopardy, the caseworker will file a Child Protection Petition with the District Court. This petition asks the judge to order a plan to protect the child. DHHS has the authority to ask law enforcement to remove a child from the parent’s care for a maximum of 6 hours without going to Court to get an order. This is called a
6 hour hold.

Perhaps a court order was later obtained? This says it can be done without a court order, and it also answers the question earlier of whether LE or CPS remove kids. We need more facts in this case!

Would that Court Order (if one exist) be open to the public or would it be sealed because of a minor being involved. Anyone know?

Ahhhh. . .thank you! That clears up a lot for me.

Would that Court Order (if one exist) be open to the public or would it be sealed because of a minor being involved. Anyone know?

I don't know for sure...I always thought that family court issues and cases involving juveniles would not have info released. I can't think of any other high profile cases involving CPS, where CPS actually released documents or statements...

About to post the updated timeline, current as of 11pmCT today, Sunday, Jan.22nd.

aylaeyes.jpg

Come Home Ayla!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members