Identified! NY - Harlem, BlkMale 1609UMNY, 20-30, USMC Tattoo, Jun'97 Leroy Bernard Matthews

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks Oriah! I just wish I had an email address for the LE handling the case. I would keep at them until they replied too! LOL

At first glance I thought that you had found him, but a couple of things stand out to me that make me believe that it's probably not:
1) This guy was only 19. I have a feeling the UID was much older than that.
2) His eyebrows don't have the same arch as the UID.
3) His ears appear to be attached at the lobes and the UIDs were not.

But I think he is the closest facial match that I have ever seen.

I keep coming back to him wondering if its still possible even though there are some differences. His eybrows could change in a few years time. I know I look different in almost every photo taken. And he would would have been 21 in 1997. I wonder when this photo was taken? I did see the difference in his ear lobes but I thought it might have been the angle the photo was taken.

He looks similar to me.... Dates & height are off..?

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/show/12138

I sent an email to the Arkansas crime lab with Robert as a possible match to John Doe even though there are some differences. I will let you know if I hear back...

Check out the Websleuths thread in Unidentified on the Downingtown, PA man who has been unidentified since 1968.

In that case, like this one, the young man had a USMC tattoo on his upper arm.

After recently contacting NCIS, the Pennsylvania State Police investigators got a reply from the Marine Corps with a very likely possible match of a wounded Marine missing from Philadelphia Naval Hospital on the same day the Unidentified man was found.

The missing Marine had been listed as a deserter for the past 43 years, while the unidentified homicide victim lay in a grave as a John Doe. A lot of info seems to match and DNA results are pending.

Perhaps this case will also be solved.

:)

I just received an email from Captain Clifford, II (USMC)Adjutant, 1st Reconnaissance Battalion, he thanked me for my letter that I sent awhile back and he has been actively pursuing leads and it looks like they may have identified the man! He assured me he would keep me posted on any new info.

He did provide the name of this man, not sure if I can post it since they still need to investigate, proper notification needs to be made to his family, and burial arrangements need to be made.

:)

I just received an email from Captain Clifford, II (USMC)Adjutant, 1st Reconnaissance Battalion, he thanked me for my letter that I sent awhile back and he has been actively pursuing leads and it looks like they may have identified the man! He assured me he would keep me posted on any new info.

He did provide the name of this man, not sure if I can post it since they still need to investigate, proper notification needs to be made to his family, and burial arrangements need to be made.

Oh I so hope so! Thank you, Wanting2Help.
There are way too many of these young men. :(

Any news yet? I've been thinking of this man daily and so eager to hear that he has been brought home to family!

Any news yet? I've been thinking of this man daily and so eager to hear that he has been brought home to family!

Not yet. The last I heard the USMC was pulling service records and was in contact with the medical examiner. I will let you all know as soon as I hear anything. :)

I am still waiting to hear back from the USMC, the last I heard they were pulling records and communicating with the ME. While we are waiting I am still searching for a match.
What do you think about Anthony Phillips? I think he looks a bit like him although he seems a bit young and his height doesn't match. This is the only picture that I can find of him.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/4451/18?current_page=photos

One thing - The John Doe is not "Missing Since", as you would say with a Missing Person. You should say "Found on", or something to that effect.

It was a fill in the blank type form. I couldn't change the fields. I will try to make my own with the picture of the tattoo as well as the photo you did for us.

new poster. Hopefuly this is better than the last one? Let me know if I need to add/change anything...

Attachments

• DO YOU RECOGNIZE ME.jpg
    DO YOU RECOGNIZE ME.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 106
Amazing work! Thanks for doing this!

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Can anyone that has a facebook page post it on there and any other sites that you can think of? I created it as a jpeg flyer so it could be easily shared on f/b. I posted it on mine. Hopefully this will generate some leads...

I also emailed "Can you Identify Me" to see if they can add him there.
http://canyouidentifyme.blogspot.com/

Unidentified Black Male discovered on June 23, 1997 in New York City, NY

Unidentified Black Male
The victim was discovered on June 23, 1997 in New York City, New York County, New York

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 20-30 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'7"; 130 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Shaved head; brown eyes.
Tattoos: Elaborate "USMC" tattoo in blue on left upper arm.
Clothing: Navy t-shirt, size XL, gray cutoff sweatpants, black Levi jeans, size 34/30, tan or brown cloth belt, brown plaid jacket, size XL. White Fila sneakers, size 8.5.
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Available

Case History

The victim was located electrocuted on the third rail on the southbound D train tracks at the 145th Street and St. Nicholas Avenue Station.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:

New York County Medical Examiner's Office
212-447-2770

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number: M97-03611

Source Information:

Namus
The Doe Network: Case File 1609UMNY

LINKS:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1609umny.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics