Identified! AZ - Payson, Female Skeletal UP8641, 16-20, Jul'10 - Tia Payne

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
NamUs UP # 8641 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/8641

2354151820045078242S425x425Q851.jpg

Unidentified Female (Race Unsure)

Found July 22, 2010, 2.7 miles south of State Route 260 adjacent to Forest Service Road 512 near Payson (Gila County), Arizona

Aproximate Age: 16 to 20 years
Race Unsure
Weight (pounds) Cannot Estimate
Height 66 inches (5'6"), Measured
Hair Brown - Straight, up to eight inches in length
Clothing or Accessories: None

Notes on body parts recovered
All parts recovered
Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
Probable year of death 2009 to 2010
Estimated postmortem interval Months

Circumstances
The decomposed remains were found in a wooded area at the base of an embankment.

Dental Comments
Tooth #2 crown destroyed by caries, Remnant sealant to #3, #12, #14, #19, and #30, Silver amalgam restorations to #3 & #19, all others composite material

DNA
DPS Phoenix, Lab ORI
Comments: Osseous tissue samples provided to the Gila County Sheriff's Office. GASO reports that profile has been entered into CODIS.

Looking at the facial reconstruction, this Jane Doe appears to have facial structural traits suggestive of partial black ancestry.

I found a few woman with somewhat similar facial shapes, but this one jumped out at me.

Kelsey Emily Collins
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/collins_kelsey.html

2158222460045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

The distance and circumstances would not be inconsistent. She was said to be involved with a man who was being charged with interstate sex trafficking. So it is plausible that he may have transported her to Arizona from Washington State before murdering her.

* Her height 5'5" to 5'7" is spot-on to the 5'6" estimated height of the Jane Doe.

* Her age (18) is right at mid-range of the age estimate (16-20)

* Her DLC (9-May-2009) is consistent to the probable year of death (i.e., 2009 or 2010).

* Her hair (Brown and straight about 8" long ) matches the description.

And although the UID is in CODIS, Kelsey's NamUs DNA notes say "Sample available - Not yet submitted ", so we don't have a CODIS rule-out by default.

Submitted by e-mail to Bruce Anderson (NamUs UP Case Manager for this UID Case)

* Her hair (Brown and straight about 8" long ) matches the description.

It says her hair was naturally curly, but she normally straightened it with a straightening iron. Wouldn't the first rainfall erase the styling of the hair?

I can definitely see a resemblance, especially in the two middle pictures.

It says her hair was naturally curly, but she normally straightened it with a straightening iron. Wouldn't the first rainfall erase the styling of the hair?

I wouldn't know about that, but there isn't a whole lot of rainfall in central Arizona

I got a quick reply from Bruce Anderson re: Kelsey Collins

Thanks for using NamUs Carl.

I can exclude these two cases from being the same young woman based on dental records and have added the exclusion to UP #8641.

Bruce E Anderson, PhD
Forensic Anthropologist
PCOME

Jessica Danielle Burden also jumps out at me as a possible. High straight forehead, sunken eyes, narrow bridge of the nose, pointy chin. Her nose might be a bit long though. And her hair is longer than 8 inches.

burden_jessica.jpg

http://www.nampn.org/cases/burden_jessica.html

She's not listed in NamUs. I wonder if she is still missing.

Jessica Danielle Burden also jumps out at me as a possible. High straight forehead, sunken eyes, narrow bridge of the nose, pointy chin. Her nose might be a bit long though. And her hair is longer than 8 inches.

She's not listed in NamUs. I wonder if she is still missing.

http://www.ksla.com/Global/story.asp?S=10280747&nav=0RY4Vp58

Posted: Apr 30, 2009 2:20 PM EDT
Updated: May 06, 2009 4:53 PM EDT

BOSSIER CITY, LA (KSLA) - A Bossier City woman, reported missing on Monday returned home Thursday.

Jessica is not missing.

BBM, from the Charley Project details of Kaylenes dissappearance.

Gallegos left her father's Lakeside, Arizona residence on May 20, 2010. She got into a vehicle with two men, saying she was going to Phoenix, Arizona.

One of the men who was with her said they came back to the Lakeside area on May 21, but they got lost on a forest service road and decided to spend the night there.

He said on the next day, May 22, he and Gallegos got separated trying to get out of the forest. She has never been heard from again.

Obviously, the story could be a lie but maybe the part about the forest service road is true.

Certainly sounds like something that should be checked out further considering the uid was found on a forest service road.

I have sent an email to Dr. Bruce Anderson (NamUs Case Manager) to inquire as to whether or not Kaylene Gallegos has been considered/ruled out. I will post if I hear anything back.

BBM, from the Charley Project details of Kaylenes dissappearance.

Obviously, the story could be a lie but maybe the part about the forest service road is true.

Certainly sounds like something that should be checked out further considering the uid was found on a forest service road.

Not just a forest service road, but one right on the route the missing person was supposed to be taking.

Also, without a cause of death, do we have any reason to disprove the account? Admittedly it's suspicious but without cause of death, finding a body wouldn't make it more so... because if Kaylene did get lost in the woods 2 years ago, she won't still be alive and lost.

Against this being a match, Kaylene is shorter than the UID's estimated height and slightly outside the age range.

--- On Mon, 4/23/12, Bruce Anderson <Bruce.Anderson@pima.gov> wrote:

Subject: RE: Case #ML10-01464 - NamUs #9262
To: <redacted>
Cc: "Knight, Clyde (Clyde.Knight@unthsc.edu)" <Clyde.Knight@unthsc.edu>
Date: Monday, April 23, 2012, 11:24 AM

Hello XXXX. Thank you for using NamUs. Our Jane Doe (ML10-01464, NamUs UP #8641) has been excluded from being Kaylene. I have added this information to the UP side of NamUs and have alerted the NamUs case manager for Kaylene’s case of this change.

Bruce E Anderson, PhD
Forensic Anthropologist
PCOME

Folks:
This gal has been ID'ed and date listed was 4-15-13-- and the next of kin have been notified.. I'm not sure who she is--but they do! AWESOME!!

ETA: could this move to the ID'ed thread now?

I got word from a reliable source that this decedent was identified as Tia Payne.

51c193b1-5c3c-4c7a-bc55-662498dab2dc.jpg

There is no public mention that she was found deceased or matched to this case, but her NamUs casefile (MP10357) is now closed.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/10357/0

The takeaway from this is that Tia was said to have been LKA in July 2010 (less than a month before her remains were found).

The Jane Doe had been estimated to have been dead for several months (2009 or 2010).

I remember looking closely at Tia as a possible, and I passed on it because the time frame appeared to be too tight based on the postmortem interval indicated in the UP casefile.

I dunno why I took an interest in her case. On websleuths it felt like I was the only one who really gave a damn about her.

There wasnt anything to go in. The family wasnt active on the net hosting some sort of site.

I am glad they found her.

It's funny how we all perceive things differently. I don't think the reconstruction looks much like her, really. That bieng said, I have NO idea how forensic anthropologists make any reconstruction at all from remains. Glad she has been identified.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back