Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Crimes and Trials > Cold Cases

Notices

Cold Cases Discuss all cold cases here and sleuth out some new information!

Old 10-13-2008, 01:11 PM

OR-David E Lewis, Ashland, 04 September 2008

http://www.myspace.com/553400635
David's mountain cabin burned Sept. 4, 2008. A badly burned body found inside. No I.D. at this time.
Remains sent to Texas DNA lab.
Sheriff feels a mysterious death. Family feels it is murder of David.

Last edited by imamaze; 02-10-2012 at 06:19 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 01-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Help Find Maura Murray

Originally posted by Dreamweaver

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs...NEWS/812210332
David E. Lewis, 46, was found dead Sept. 4 in the burned remains of a cabin he had rented for decades on Dead Indian Memorial Road. An autopsy confirmed that he was killed before the fire was set with accelerants, Fogarty said.

Investigators suspect someone who knew Lewis had ventured up the long driveway to his secluded mountaintop cabin, then had come inside and killed him. Detectives aren't disclosing how Lewis died. They also note that the total destruction of the cabin has eliminated much evidence.

Lewis was a longtime area resident, known for protecting the land and helping neighbors, his family said.

"We've talked to a lot of people," Fogarty said, listing friends, family, neighbors, people Lewis did work for, teens partying at a nearby quarry and bow hunters stopped in the area the night before Lewis' death.

"There's no business deal or personal relationship gone bad that we can see," Fogarty said. "There's no clear motive."
Old 01-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Help Find Maura Murray

originally posted by dreamweaver:

http://www.dailytidings.com/2008/090...0905_fires.php

DAVID E LEWIS. Found dead 9/4/08, in his burned down cabin.
Another cabin was burned down that night.

He lived about 15 miles from Ashland, Or in the mountains.

It appears to be arson and murder.
The Following User Says Thank You to PrayersForMaura For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2010, 12:52 AM

I live in Ashland and today we received a flyer in the mail. The flyer told the story of Dave Lewis's sad death in his cabin above Ashland. It also announced that a website has been started for Dave. It's quite thorough and it will be interesting to see if any good tips come from this:

http://themurderofdavelewis.webs.com/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2012, 04:26 AM

Have there been any updates on this case ? The local paper was reporting about some of the officers in the town being fired. Was the case properly investigated or the link ever disclosed ?
Old 01-28-2012, 05:58 PM

I got into this thread researching a case and this came into it kind like 3rd hand research from some WI. cold cases..

I read little bit. Appears something sure not right in what appears wonderfully nice lake and forest area.

What little I read and I got National Forest bumps up to my many acres of land and across the road few miles there a lake.. I never ever heard govt. allow anything like that before on there land.
Everything got to be moblie, none of this stay all year long deal.. You lucky to stay over a week before they will request you to leave..

They hate my ATV but I stay on my side on my own land and they know they catch any hunters on my land without a signed permit by myself take them on to jail and I will prosecute..Only my very close kin or friends get yearly permits.

Kind of sound like this poor guy was just trying to following same rules been taught to myself all my life about National Forest land.

Sad to say it but appears this poor guy got killed over Greed.

Hope they catch these people.
The Following User Says Thank You to wv171 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2012, 11:57 PM

I'm confused, Sleuth2010. I live in Ashland and haven't heard of officers being fired. Do you have a link to a local news story about that? Obviously, I'd like to know more.

Dave's death is still a mystery to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2012, 12:03 PM

Dave's death is a mystery too me as well. I am surprised not much more was made of it. Two mysteries arsons, a murder, a fight between neighbors...
I visited the site put up about Dave's death but it is pretty confusing. I wish whoever runs the site would try rewriting it to make it a little more clear cut.
By my count there are way too many mysterious murders up here.
The Following User Says Thank You to deca For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2012, 09:24 PM

Fogarty Revocation Document / head of death investigations Sheriff's dept. Oregon

http://themurderofdavelewis.webs.com...%20%282%29.pdf

Found this on the website for Dave Lewis. Hope it comes through.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:40 PM
WS Moderator

Thank you to all for the information.

I am reading because I still look for information about Garren Beller.
The Following User Says Thank You to summer_breeze For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2012, 02:43 AM

Garren Beller who and Dave Lewis who ?
Something is up in So. Oregon that two men
have been *murdered and missing* and no one
knows....what's up with law enforcments silence?
This all happened in the area that the Sheriff owns land.
Nothing or no public info. from LE
For years ? Then Dave Grubbs is decapitated
and the people are the only ones keeping that
in the public. Weird.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sleuth2010 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2012, 07:02 PM

Well, the local news and newpapers continue to do stories on the victims here. Particularly Grubbs.

As far as Lewis, if you read that website posted upthread, it sounds like he was somewhat involved (as a whistleblower) to some strange things up at a lake. IDK for sure, the website is hard to follow.

No one local thinks the two (or the poor man that was murdered up in Central Point in a homeless camp) are connected.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Justice4troy

Unhappy Connection??

There has been alot of talk about the connection between Troy Carney & Dave Lewis. I can tell you, Troy never knew Dave Lewis.
There was an article in the mailtribune saying They think there might be a connection. They never really said there was.
They are having a problem solving Troy's case cause he had no enemies & everyone liked him. Kinda like David Grubbs. They do alot of follow up articles about David Grubbs but nothing about Troy. I don't think that's right.
I guess they feel Troy is not as important just because he didn't live there??
I have asked them a few times to do an article on Troy and mention that I do have a $2,500 Reward for a conviction in his case. They more or less told me it's not news worthing enought... Another low blow..
Old 03-22-2012, 02:59 PM

Troy's mom- I am so sorry for your loss. I want you to know that many people here have not forgotten about your son and I hope that someday his murderer is brought to justice.

Regarding his story: have you tried other news sources like the Medford and Grants Pass editions of the "Sneak Preview"? It comes monthly in the mail and most people read it as it is full of local news and coupons. They do serious small articles every once in a while. You could also try getting on Jefferson Public Radio--- they are a local public radio station that has a large following here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deca For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Justice4troy

Hi..
Thank you for your reply. Back on May 22,2011 they did an article in the mailtribune & other TV stations about the playing cards. They put Troy's face on the cards, Troy is the seven of spade. On June 6, 2011, I did the KMED Radio with Bill Meyer show in Medford..
When David Grubbs was murdered the Ashland Free Press did an article on Nov. 25 to Dec. 9th issue, The article by Vanessa Houk. ( OCCUPY TRUCH: VIOLENCE HAS NO RESOLUTION) She mentioned Troy & she mailed me a copy of it. So nice of her to do that. A couple weeks later she asked me to write a story about Troy and said she would publish it. Said it would be in after the New year. I don't think it was published cause I didn't get a copy.
That was the last time Troy has been mentioned.
I live on the east coast so I don't know the news papers out there.
Have not heard of the "Sneak preview" or the Jefferson public Radio. I will check it out..Thank you again.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:42 PM

They need to look at the Keno quarry and the pot link to these cases. The whole story isn't being told here.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:50 PM

There is a link.

"There has been alot of talk about the connection between Troy Carney & Dave Lewis. I can tell you, Troy never knew Dave Lewis.
There was an article in the mailtribune saying They think there might be a connection."

Lots of things, places and people link things.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:45 PM

Many have looked for what that ' connection ' could be between Troy Carney and Dave Lewis' deaths, but have not discovered that connection.

There are many news articles about Dave Lewis murder. There are not quite as many about Troy's murder.

Interestingly enough, yesterday, another house in the 12600 address on Dead Indian Memorial Road burned to the ground.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWSLETTER100
Investigators are looking into a blaze that leveled a two-story house on Dead Indian Memorial Road east of Ashland early Saturday afternoon.
The Following User Says Thank You to dreamweaver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2012, 12:40 AM

Another house burned down ? ! Hmmm.....there are no such things as coincidences. Is there a link that is possible but not proven ? Isn't this four unsolved murders in one town?
Old 05-15-2012, 12:41 AM

Do you know the address of the Lewis house or the Greensping guy ? Hope there are good investigators. Seems quiet.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleuth2010 View Post
Another house burned down ? ! Hmmm.....there are no such things as coincidences. Is there a link that is possible but not proven ? Isn't this four unsolved murders in one town?
Don't know if it is offical, but latest fire was caused by a heat lamp (as per Mail Tribune).

Yes, there are a few unsolved murders of recent times, but they didn't seem to be linked when I started looking into it. But, you never know.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:26 PM

Caution!!! Rumor alert!!!

I asked a few Ashland people today about what the heck was going on up on Dead Indian Memorial Rd, where there had been (IIRC) 3 fires in the last few years and at least one murder.

What they all said (a few separate people) was that there is an area up there that a lot of transient and drug users were known to frequent. One person said it was a house that the owner let people like that stay up there. Another person said that they had a number of druggies from up in that specific area come in over the course of the last year to the ER for OD, burns, fights etc.

So, I kinda wonder if all the issues come from a few bad apples hangin' around causing problems?? IDK.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Justice4troy

Actually, the news never said there was a connection between Troy Carney & Dave Lewis.
They said MIGHT BE A CONNECTION.
Justice4troy

David Grubbs ASHLAND, Ore. -- The reward in the David Grubbs murder case is getting a $10,000 increase.

The Ashland City Council approved the addition to the reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction. This newest addition brings the total reward to $21,180.

DAVID GRUBBS IS NOT the only person murdered on the Bear Creek Greenway.
Neither Medford nor Central Point OR. has ever offered one dime toward a reward for the murder of my son Troy Dean Carney.
SEPT.4, 2012 WILL MARK 4 YEARS AND STILL NO ARREST.
Troy was found murdered in his sleeping bag on the Bear Creek Greenway in Central Point on Sept 4, 2008.
He had desided to visit a long time friend in Medford area, was in town less then three weeks.
He had been camped out near the Pilot truck stop whle waiting to get more work hauling funiture and head his way back home to the east coast.
I STILL WAIT 4 JUSTICE..TROY'S MOM
Old 05-17-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy's mom View Post
Actually, the news never said there was a connection between Troy Carney & Dave Lewis.
They said MIGHT BE A CONNECTION.
Justice4troy

David Grubbs ASHLAND, Ore. -- The reward in the David Grubbs murder case is getting a $10,000 increase.

The Ashland City Council approved the addition to the reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction. This newest addition brings the total reward to $21,180.

DAVID GRUBBS IS NOT the only person murdered on the Bear Creek Greenway.
Neither Medford nor Central Point OR. has ever offered one dime toward a reward for the murder of my son Troy Dean Carney.
SEPT.4, 2012 WILL MARK 4 YEARS AND STILL NO ARREST.
Troy was found murdered in his sleeping bag on the Bear Creek Greenway in Central Point on Sept 4, 2008.
He had desided to visit a long time friend in Medford area, was in town less then three weeks.
He had been camped out near the Pilot truck stop whle waiting to get more work hauling funiture and head his way back home to the east coast.
I STILL WAIT 4 JUSTICE..TROY'S MOM
Have they ever had any leads? The locals have said that there just seems to be nothing to go on.

There are many people that come and go through Southern Oregon because of I-5, and the fact that So. Oregon tends to be somewhat of a "friendly" place for homeless people. LE has had their budget cut so many times I think it makes it really hard for them to keep track of everybody.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:21 PM

The police confirmed there is a link between Lewis & Troy Carney's murder.

The cases are 4 years old. Dave Grubbs case in the first year. Garren Beller missing / murdered. Not a word. Could the police have missed his body in the house fire?

There has been a lot of info on the marijuana in this area. Violent deaths are usually linked to guns and drugs. Having two men murdered on the same day or same week is unusual for a small town. It is obviously not random or without reason.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sleuth2010 For This Useful Post: