WA WA - Misty Copsey, 14, Tacoma, 17 Sept 1992

What is with this guy, Bober, and why won't he give a DNA sample??

http://www.thenewstribune.com/1159/
This will take you to links for 3 stories that appeared in today's News Tribune. Very interesting reading. Links are also there for articles written in 2009. This case was a series of missed opportunities. So sad and sorry for Misty's mom.

Long gone, still sought: The search for Misty Copsey

The problem with Misty Copsey's disappearance is the same problem it's always been: no body, no traces to help Puyallup police figure out what happened to her.

[snip]

That talk is over now. Police are investigating a homicide. They've spent two years revisiting the Copsey case. They've assigned a team to review every inch of it.

A roster of possible suspects in the Misty Copsey case

GARY RIDGWAY

In 1992, the Green River Killer lived in Des Moines, about a mile from Saltwater State Park, and about 19 miles from the Puyallup Fairgrounds.

[snip]

TERAPON ADHAHN

The man who murdered 12-year-old Zina Linnik in 2007 moved to the South Sound in 1989, according to public records.

[snip]

TIMOTHY RAY BURKHART

The Parkland resident killed two teen women in Parkland in 1986, when he was 20, and two more in 2001, when he was 35.

[snip]

ROBERT LESLIE HICKEY

An abduction rapist, he snatched a 15-year-old girl near the Puyallup Fairgrounds in January 1993, less than four months after Misty's disappearance.

[snip]

THE HI-HO KILLER (identity unknown)

In 1988 and 1990, 15-year-old Kimberly Delange and 14-year-old Anna Chebetnoy disappeared from the Hi-Ho shopping center in downtown Puyallup.

[snip]

THE RED RIVER KILLER(S)

Historically, King County sheriff's detectives investigating the Green River case often raised the possibility that more than one serial killer was taking young women.

The Misty Copsey affair is a very interesting, well documented, crime case and a classic example of a LE failure. I haven't a very strong feeling about any of the "suspects". I doubt that the crime will ever be "solved" in the sense that someone will re-work the available evidence and figure it out. A death-bed type confession or something new turning up could change everything.

It seems outrageous that a 14 year old girl would disappear and nobody spoke with the best friend who she was with night she vanished before dismissing it as a "runaway". This was the 1990's, not the 1970's. Apparently the mother had made some sort of "inaccurate" report that Misty had run away a week earlier. This could came down to a situation where problems involving "the wrong side of the track" were not given the attention someone from a more prosperous area would have been given.

The mystery of the pants is a huge piece of the puzzle but, if LE didn't get a very specific description (brand, size, style amount of wear and fading etc; all part of SOP) at the initial report, how would they know if it was a plant or the real deal? (Supposedly the pants Misty was wearing belonged to her mother who would have known the details.)

It sure seems like there were a lot of sexual predators operating in Western Washington during that period.

With DNA test done, police begin search for Misty Copsey’s killer

A long-delayed DNA test is finally complete, but Puyallup police have more hurdles to clear in their rebooted investigation of the 1992 disappearance of Misty Copsey.

[snip]

The DNA sample, recovered in 1993 from a pair of jeans identified as Misty’s, offers a potential forensic link that could lead police to answers. On the other hand, it could lead nowhere.

Police can’t be sure until state crime lab technicians enter the sample into a federal database controlled by the FBI: The CODIS database.

More: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/crime/story/904026.html

BBM I wonder if they ever entered the sample into CODIS. I understand backlogs, funding issues, etc. but it's been 19 years. Now that the DNA sample has been taken, enter it already.

Washington's cold case missing persons

Misty Donna Copsey was last seen in Puyallup on Sept. 17, 1992. Fourteen when she disappeared, Copsey would now by 32. She is pictured on the right in an age-progressed photo. Anyone with information about her disappearance can contact the Puyallup Police Department at 253-841-5415.

This case is one of the most frustrating I've ever read about. The utter indifference, incompetence and near criminal ineptitude of LE have ensured that this case will never yield a conviction or, bar a divine gift, even a body.

Girl disappears from Puyallup fair 20 years ago, police seek new tips

It’s been almost 20 years since 14-year old Misty Copsey went missing after leaving the Puyallup State Fair. It was September 17th, 1992 when her mother, Diana Smith, dropped she and a friend off to enjoy the day.

[snip]

Smith is hoping that enough time has passed that anyone who may have information will finally come forward. “I know there’s more than one person that knows what happened that night . I know there’s a few people that know what happened that night. This is their perfect opportunity to unburden themselves and call in anonymously and tell what happened so we can bring misty home,” Smith said.

More: http://www.q13fox.com/community/wam...police-seek-new-tips-20120503,0,5133096.story

Bumping for Misty... Thinking of her and her devoted mom who has waited so long. :rose:

I can't seem to find anything specific to the hairs. The only thing I've seen is that tests on DNA from the jeans were completed and were from an unknown male. It doesn't say if the DNA was retrieved from the hair (which was fou d on/in the jeans, IIRC) or from something else that was on the jeans. :confused:

Anyone else have any info?

20 years later, Spanaway mom seeks answers about missing daughter

Diana Smith has no doubt her daughter was murdered. Accepting the death is another matter.

"Please let it be over," Smith said.

[snip]

Smith hopes over the past 20 years someone's conscience might get the best of them.

Smith wants someone to come forward.

"She needs to be put to rest. Where she can rest and I can come and see her," said Smith.

More: http://www.nwcn.com/home/?fId=170104576&fPath=/news/local&fDomain=10212

I hate to say this, but, Washington State police were nigh infamous for how incompetent they were in the 80s and 90s. Washington was the go-to place to commit a crime if you didn't want to get caught.

What happened to that farm where Rheuban "woke up"? I know that a lot of these old farm places end up being subdivisions, any chance they can still maybe take a huge rote-a-till to it? And about the whole "Black out" thing, wouldn't that be a somewhat serious medical condition? If he really had it, wouldn't there be somewhere in his medical record of him going to the doctor and trying to fix it or even find out what it was?

Questions I would love to see answered too, EmmaliLucia.

I am haunted by Misty and her poor mom. It is absolutely heartbreaking, you can hear the despair in her words.

I wish someone would just leave an anonymous note somewhere, tell where her body is, so she can be brought home. Her mother deserves peace at long last. :rose:

Bump for Misty. Everything that I read about this case just makes me so, so angry at the way the investigation has been handled. Poor Misty, and her poor mother!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back