GUILTY Turkey - Sarai Sierra, 33, NY woman murdered, Istanbul, 21 Jan 2013 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How terrible :(
I was trying to be hopeful, but it was all so strange. It seemed clear she had the intention to go back to her family, her children..so I really worried about her.
That's just too sad, I feel so bad for her family.
I don't even know what to say.

I was convinced that she was still alive somewhere... because the phone. That means someone has that phone and has turned it on, etc., if those reports are true.

Since Taylan has been released by LE, I wonder if this was in fact just a random crime?

I saw a report that Taylan's phone and computer was taken away for analysis. It seems strange that Sarai was supposed to meet him that day and yet he claims he never recieved the message?? Coincidence? Maybe. Although it could have been a random. Maybe Sarai was taking photos up on the walls and in a quiet spot and met with a monster.

Lets hope hope justice is served swiftly!

I think the translations are still a bit funky - the way the article was worded at first it said her body was "transported" to the scene, I thought meaning it had been moved from the place she was killed and left at the wall. Then it changed wording to say "thrown from high place" and now it says "The first observations were taken from a high place in the body stab wound to the belly" --- so I don't know yet what the story beneath the translation is.

I feel especially bad for the two sons, who apparently had no idea their mom was missing. Such a tough age to lose a parent, it is incredibly sad for them as well as husband and family

To be thrown like that seems...Odd. Stabbing is also a very personal way of killing someone, it would seem this person might have had some personal contact w her rather than just a crazy person running the streets. Though I guess you cannot rule out a random just yet. Perhaps she was walking back from the bridge and a random crazy person got her.. People mentioned the neighborhood was not that great...very sad...

Hopefully they got some DNA evidence and can rule out/rule in some of the people we know she met...I cannot believe there would not be DNA. She seems to be a fighter so I would hope she stabbed him somewhere in the process..

I agree, Yellow. It is just very tragic...

I'm not sure, however, that stabbing is 'personal'. Strangling is, but I don't know about stabbing. I think stabbing is an alternative to shooting b/c knives are cheaper and also there is no gunshot. Someone could stab a person in a remote area of a park, etc, and no one would know - as opposed to shooting the victim and having folks hear the gunshot.

Before, I was convinced it was fellow IG'ers (sorry, IG'ers), but now I really do think it may have been a random crime of opportunity. If Taylan was involved, why let him go? Or do they have a limit on how long they can hold someone?

My heart goes out to Ms. Sierra's family and friends. This is so senseless.

On where she was reportedly found:

Very, very odd.

The general area is a short walking distance (3-4 km) from Galata Bridge. She was last seen on video walking on the bridge in the direction of Eminonu Pier. Upon reaching the pier she would have been in the major tourist quarters of Istanbul (Sultanahmet, etc.).

The general area the body was found is literally steps from a huge hospital, dozens of huge tourist hotels (the Four Seasons, for example), restaurants, and attractions (Hagia Sofia and the major mosques, museums, etc.). BUT the areas around the walls can be a bit more isolated.

The ancient city walls are tourist attractions in themselves -- some people come to Istanbul solely to walk along their trajectory. In places they are huge masonry edifices with sheer drop-offs.

On the peninsula where the body was found, you have the famous Topkapi Palace sprawled over the top of the hill surrounded by gardens down to the city walls. Then the drop-off off the walls, and a no-man's land of brush, then train tracks, a major roadway, then the Sea of Marmara.

Even though it's steps from an area with no violent crime to speak of, it is an isolated spot someone could be lured -- or a spot that by road would be easy to get in and out of at night by car with no one watching...

Again, I'm deeply disturbed by this outcome. It is just tragic.

Is there graffiti anywhere near? It seems she liked to photograph it as evidenced by the photos. AR provided.

Could a body lie there for days without anyone seeing it?

If I can remember correctly the area is not isolated but people tend to pass there with a car or walk on the other side of the road which is sea side. The link below claims that she was found in one of the passages so she may be well hidden. There is a sentence which I didn't exactly understand what they meant. It says "The police located her by using the camera recordings". However the first sentence just says a body was found. So I don't if she was found by police or by someone else who reported it to police.

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/gundem/22509010.asp

I agree, Yellow. It is just very tragic...

I'm not sure, however, that stabbing is 'personal'. Strangling is, but I don't know about stabbing. I think stabbing is an alternative to shooting b/c knives are cheaper and also there is no gunshot. Someone could stab a person in a remote area of a park, etc, and no one would know - as opposed to shooting the victim and having folks hear the gunshot.

Unfortunately I agree your idea that she was probably murdered for her Ipad and iphone. It would kind of explain stabbing as muggers usually carry a knife and use it if the victim resists.

So sad...

Here is an aerial photo of Sarayburnu. This looks like the area to me, when compared to photos where Sarai was found. Locals may have a better idea if this is correct or not:

http://istanbul.net.tr/img08/foto/sizin/buyuk/7/sarayburnu__uygarelmastasi.jpg

attachment.php

Attachments

• sarayburnu__uygarelmastasi.jpg
    sarayburnu__uygarelmastasi.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 482
I hope her family back home was told before the news articles went online. I feel like the one website was reporting it pretty quickly as it was happening.

[Re SS not seeking companionship from other women] Wow, that's a pretty sanctimonious and snarky thing to say about a woman we presume to be a victim. I don't even know why you'd assume that. The IG guy actually sounds smart and interesting and friendly from his posts - other posters in IG seem to chat with him quite a bit about trips to Amsterdam. And her husband KNEW she was chatting to him and staying with him. To me this sounds like a friendly person offering their couch and some tour guiding in a fun city. And she arrived back from this trip SAFELY.

Why on earth do people want to shove this woman into some 1950's housewife role in which she cowers behind her husband while traveling and piously allows her religious leaders to find friends for her on vacation? Who even does that in 2013? Where was she supposed to find these "female university students and tourists" to glom on to on a 3 day AMsterdam trip?

And how were these female students and female tourists supposed to "trust" some strange woman they had never met enough to travel and room with, if such trust of the unknown seems so naive?

Isn't it more sensible if we operate here based on the personality and attitude that she actually seems to HAVE, rather than comparing her actions to some meek and scared fantasy personality people would apparently like her to have?

Are you taking women seriously as intellectuals? Surely Turkey has female university students who would enjoy showing the American female college student tourist the sights, which include several mosques and churches, and explaining their fascinating history. A female student could have advised her about how to handle any dangers. And, SS would get a truly inside view of Turkish culture from the women.

Unfortunately, these days, women need to take measures to avoid being labeled a "sexual tourist."

Note: The previous part of this post was written before she was reported dead, and apparently the murder was motivated by robbery. Just the same a female Turkish university student could have advised her about how to avoid these dangers. The area probably "looked" safe.

On Fox News they just said that 9 locals were being held in connection with her death?

WTH? That sounds awful. Or did they just grab everybody and decide to sort it out later?

Here is an aerial photo of Sarayburnu. This looks like the area to me, when compared to photos where Sarai was found. Locals may have a better idea if this is correct or not:

You may be right, but it's hard to say. Sarayburnu just refers to the whole peninsula (and walls on its outskirts). And there are lots of areas where the walls look very similar.

One of the reports said something about the body being 100m from a lighthouse -- I can't remember where the lighthouse was from the last time I was there, but it seems like it might be on the point to the right closer to the bridge. Just a thought.

On Fox News they just said that 9 locals were being held in connection with her death?

WTH? That sounds awful. Or did they just grab everybody and decide to sort it out later?

This is what worries me. Nine men and one woman. I hope it was just robbery...

Is there graffiti anywhere near? It seems she liked to photograph it as evidenced by the photos. AR provided.

I don't remember seeing graffiti around there, but it's possible. And the ruins of the walls are derelict-looking, so it's also possible she could have been lured there on that pretext, even if no such graffiti exists...

Are you taking women seriously as intellectuals? Surely Turkey has female univerity students who would enjoy showing the American female college student tourist the sights, which include several mosques and churches, and explaining their fascinating history. A female graduate student could have advised her about how to handle any dangers. And, SS would get a truly inside view of Turkish culture from the women.

You make it sound as though Turkish women were not worth SS's time; yet she could have had a very educational and safe experience if she had met up with other women (with some academic or personal reference) instead roaming around with men who were complete strangers to her.

Unfortunately these days, women need to take measures to avoid being labeled a "sexual tourist."

I assume you're reading my words through your own filter. Obviously I said no such thing, and that's a pretty weird and farfetched spin on the words I did say. In fact it's pretty much the opposite of what I said, but whatever.

If you have a link to female graduate students offering free educational tours of international cities, I'd love to have it if you don't mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliviamadyy