CANADA Canada - Melanie Geddes, 24, Regina, Sask, 13 Aug 2005

PonderingThings

Former member
Reaction score
http://www.940news.com/nouvelles.php?cat=23&id=122139

RCMP investigate human remains found near community north of Regina at 15:33 on December 21, 2005, EST.

REGINA (CP) - RCMP have determined that partial skeletal remains found in a rural area of Saskatchewan are that of a woman, but they still don't know who she is.

Cpl. Brian Jones said Wednesday that officers are not sure how old the woman may have been when she died, but he could confirm that the remains were not those of a child. That would rule out that the remains belong to Tamra Keepness, a five-year-old girl who disappeared from her Regina home in July 2004. No trace of her was ever found despite a massive search effort at the time.

There are 28 unsolved missing persons cases involving women in Saskatchewan and Jones sympathized with the uncertainty the discovery has created among friends and family.

"We are absolutely cognizant of . . . how everyone's thoughts turn to families, especially during the Christmas season, and if we can provide answers . . . quickly. . . we will," Jones said.

"At this point in time it is an assumption by investigators - not to the exclusion of any other possibility - that the remains may be those of one of the current 28 missing Saskatchewan women."

Police hope to know more about the identity after an autopsy. DNA analysis and dental records will be used.

But Jones said he's not expecting to know much more until well into January.

The remains were found Tuesday along the banks of the Qu'Appelle River by people on horseback near Southey, a community about 50 kilometres north of Regina.

Jones said police are not sure whether the remains washed up from the river or were dumped.

Investigators were on the scene Wednesday and planned to use sniffer dogs to look for further evidence.

The discovery came a month after the Saskatchewan government announced it was spending $2 million over the next three years on a task force to look into missing persons cases.

There are 82 open missing persons files in the province that date back to the 1940s.

The lion's share of the money is going to fund six new investigators with the RCMP and one new position each for municipal forces in Regina and Saskatoon.

Dozens of people gathered in Regina on the weekend to remember Melanie Dawn Geddes, who disappeared from a city street a year ago and whose death was confirmed four months later.

Geddes, a mother of three from Gordon First Nation, was 24 when she was last seen last Aug. 13 in Regina's north-central neighbourhood.

She was one of some 30 missing women in the province.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewan/story/2006/08/14/geddes-remembrances.html

From April 2015:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/melanie-dawn-geddes-case-remains-unsolved-1.3011242

On Aug. 12, 2005, Melanie went to a party in her north central Regina neighbourhood. She was celebrating getting a new job. Her mother and stepfather were staying with the young family. Eric was out with a few other friends and went to bed around the same time as his in-laws. In the early hours of Aug.13, Melanie left the party, which her sister was also attending, to walk about four blocks to her house. She never made it home...

On Dec. 30, 2005, the remains of a woman were found north of Regina in a field on the way to Southey, Sask. That day, Smokeyday was attending a gathering for families of missing and murdered indigenous women, and when the announcement was made that remains had been found, she said she knew...

Today, Melanie's is one of more than 30 unsolved cases of missing and murdered indigenous women in Saskatchewan. Smokeyday said as each year passes, new cases have replaced Melanie's on police officers' desks. "I feel like I got to get out there myself and do it because I feel like it's just dead, it's just gone," Smokeyday said. "I feel like it's over. So they found her, they buried her and I feel like I'll never know who murdered her. That's where everything stopped."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back