Nepal - Aubrey Sacco, 23, Langtang, 20 April 2010 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This article indicates that 3 more people have been arrested and has the names of 4 of the 5 (the original 2 + 2 of the 3 new ones). There's also more detail:

"According to the police, Jagat and Pemba have disclosed that they followed Aubrey right from Syafrubensi. They whisked her away in Langtang-1 and murdered her. Her dead body, passport and other documents were thrown into the Langtang River. They looted a camera and some cash from her.
Jagat and Pemba have also told the police that Lakpa masterminded the kidnapping and murder of Aubrey. Most of the suspects arrested in the case are involved in tourism business."

Last sentence bolded by me.

WOW! Well, I won't be going to Nepal anytime soon.

I hope these guys can lead authorities to Aubrey's remains so her family can bring her home. Rest in peace, Aubrey. You were a brave woman who embraced life, learning, and experiences. My guess is you "lived" more in your 23 years than many of those who live much longer. You can tell from her picture that Aubrey's eyes shined brightly & were so full of life. Reminds me of some lines from "Lament" from "Evita":
How I lived, how they shone; but how soon the lights were gone.

Quote from Inquisitr link:

The original case was bungled. Her father Paul Sacco himself discovered items belonging to his daughter in May 2011. They had been left in her hotel room and included a laptop that had presumably not been checked since her disappearance from the area over a year before.

Read more at http://www./884060/aubrey-sacco-nep...issing-trekker-cold-case/#duMoQC6YXxVZB2TL.99

Actually the laptop was found within one month of AS’s disappearance:

Quote from an old link that probably doesn’t work anymore:

Dad of missing Nepal hiker finds daughter's laptop
The Associated Press
Posted: 05/20/2010 02:33:38 PM MDT
Updated: 05/20/2010 03:08:16 PM MDT

DENVER—The father of a Colorado woman who went missing while hiking in Nepal has discovered the missing woman's laptop and journal in the last hotel where she stayed.

A friend of missing hiker Aubrey Sacco told The Associated Press Thursday that the 23-year-old's father, Paul Sacco, is in Nepal looking for Aubrey. Aubrey Sacco has been missing since last month, when she left for a solo hike in the Himalayan mountains.

The family friend, Aileen Barry, says Paul Sacco found some personal items belonging to Aubrey at the last hotel where she stayed. Barry said Sacco has also met with officials from the U.S. embassy but that no more clues have been found to indicate what happened to Aubrey Sacco

Unless she had more than one laptop ...

The original case wasn't necessarily bungled. No evidence was found in the area in which she apparently disappeared at all. Unfortunately at that point in time, Maoist demonstrations disrupted civil order, and the diverted the attention of the Nepali army which normally patrols the park. With communication lines shut down, and transportation disrupted, the realization that AS had disappeared was delayed.

Here is a quote from another media article whose link is probably no longer active:

FBI Joins Search Effort for US Hiker Missing in Nepal

David Lohr Contributor

AOL News
(June 29) -- Despite seeing several large-scale searches end in disappointment, family members are not ready to give up on 23-year-old Aubrey Sacco, who went missing more than two months ago on a remote nature hike in Nepal. Instead, they are hopeful that recent involvement by the FBI will help move the case forward.

"The FBI is looking at it and they're saying it is a criminal matter," Sacco family spokeswoman Aileen Barry told AOL News. "They've asked us to hold off so they can get their people in line, so we can't say a lot about what they're doing. But honestly we don't know a lot" ....

"There have been Nepalese people who have said [to investigators], 'We know where she is and you'll never find her.' "

Barry explained some residents may be tight-lipped because of an incident that officials at the U.S. Embassy in Nepal related to the Sacco family.

"The embassy told us that 15 years ago there were two fishermen who found a body in a river," Barry explained. "These fishermen went to the authorities and told them. Afterward, they were arrested. There was no trial and they were thrown in prison. They just got out, so that is on everyone's mind and they aren't talking."

A fascinating read:

http://www.highcrimesbook.com/

Find out why some Himalayan expeditions are bringing armed guards.

Being robbed of your water heater or sleeping bag or rope or other gear
@ 20K feet can cost your life.

The motives for the thefts are two-fold: local people simply want to sell the stolen gear for cash; but some Western climbers deliberately plan to exploit their fellow climbers supplies & equipment, rather than pay for porters to help them get to the top.

The book is shocking in that the thieves put their victims in mortal danger for such a relatively small financial benefit to themselves.

Just saw this case on CNN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Family of missing CU-Boulder grad Aubrey Sacco: Recent arrests not linked to murder

A spokeswoman with the family of Aubrey Sacco, the University of Colorado graduate who went missing while hiking alone in Nepal's Langtang area in 2010, on Saturday said that U.S. officials confirmed three people have been arrested in the mountainous Asian country in connection with her disappearance.

However, those officials refuted reports in Nepalese media that those arrested admitted to murdering Sacco and throwing her body in a river.

"The Nepal media information turned out to be inaccurate. We are back to square one," Aileen Barry, a Sacco family spokeswoman, said Saturday evening. "Right now, the embassy said the police are still diligently pursuing the investigation."

More: http://www.dailycamera.com/news/bou...y-missing-cu-boulder-grad-aubrey-sacco-recent

Suspects admit to murdering missing US trekker

http://www.myrepublica.com/portal/in...&news_id=58847

Followed My Republica with regard to another case in Nepal, and found the articles found there to be more detailed, apparently more carefully researched & much less sensationalized than Western media coverage.

Seems odd that they would publish a total fabrication.

Perhaps one of the suspects was coerced into giving a false confession, and US or other investigators later detected that fact. Often certain information about the case is held back to prevent such scenarios.

Interesting that one of the suspects is from Katmandu, where AS stayed prior to departing for Langtang, and that some of them are described as being in the travel industry.

AS may have gone to some agency in Katmandu to inquire about getting a guide for her hike. Or perhaps a helicopter ride.

Both AS and Zisimus Souflas set out on very ambitious hikes towards the end of their stays abroad. Had they attained their stated destinations, they would likely have also missed their return flights home. Both hikers were traveling alone & stayed at small local lodgings.

Could there be some other similarity? Maybe ZS too came into contact with the suspect group.

I'm so confused. Have these suspects admitted to murdering Aubrey or not? Are they connected to her disappearance or not?

This is disappointing. I can't find any new info. Her family deserves answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*bump* for Aubrey. Her family deserves answers. Aubrey is such a beautiful free spirit. Bless her and her family during this holiday season.

2021 article mentions Aubrey's case having no closure:

Another high profile case in the Himalayas is that of 23-year-old American, Aubrey Sacco, who went on a trek in the Langtang National Park in 2010 when she went missing. Two arrests were made in connection with her disappearance in 2013 but the case remains unsolved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meadams14
Back