Thread #6

Media Thread
laurengiddings-1.jpg

Lauren Giddings
April 18, 1984 -- June 26, 2011
Rest in Peace

Copied over from the end of the last thread:

I respectually and completely disagree.
If I am understanding your post correctly, you approve of this conversation between Mrs. McD and her grandkids.

IMO
It was absolutely UNnecessary to disclose the details and use the Biblical terminology she did with these young children ages 6 to 10.

Why would she discuss chaining Satan, Satan stealing Stephen, and demons with children this young?

I do not think that a child would even begin to conceive that his big brother (uncle) is capable of committing this crime.
Before a child could come to the conclusion that Stephen was capable, the child would have to know and understand that McD was accused of murdering a person and dismembering them and hiding their body parts.
Once that was explained to the child then the child would need to be able to look at their big brother/uncle and say "YES my big brother could do that. "

I can am 58 years old and it is very difficult for me to look at Stephen's photo and think him capable of this crime.

IMO this conversation between Ms McD and her grandkids is indicative of what drove McD directly off Reality Road.
This type of Biblical rhetoric into the minds of young children sends negative
impressions and mixed messages which a child is not equipped to decipher and appropriately apply.

I can only imagine what Mrs. McD told Stephen about SEX as he was growing up which is why he was all mixed up on that topic as well.
Stealing condoms? A virgin? Never a girlfriend at age 25? Creeping in and out of apartments and God only knows what else....

IMO, Mrs. McDaniel would reap a much more stable crop if she sowed Christianity through God's love and children's bible stories and leave the Book of Revelation for an adult study.

(names removed)
MM, who lived in the same apartment complex as Giddings and McDaniel, walked out of the Macon police detective bureau just before 3 p.m. Friday as reporters gathered for a police announcement about another, unrelated murder investigation.

Police had asked MM, a Mercer law student, to drop by their headquarters to answer questions, and he was being “completely cooperative,” said MM’s attorney.

MM is not a suspect or a person of interest in Giddings’ slaying, and the questioning was brief, MM’s attorney said.

http://www.macon.com/2011/08/06/1656586/mcdaniels-mother-offers-explanation.html

I wonder if the reason they asked him to drop by was so they could take a DNA sample.
If so, could this mean forensics is finding DNA they're unable to match?
I'm just saying :waitasec:

I wonder if any of the apartments in BH had garbage disposals; I assume if they did, they were thoroughly checked? All 3 apts: McD, LG and tenant-who-was-moving-out

I didn't take the "Satan is trying to steal Stephen" remark to indicate an acknowledgement that Stephen may have committed the crime. Rather, I think "Satan" in this case refers to the evil, worldly powers which are trying to imprison and perhaps, ultimately, kill the unjustly accused.

For the record, as we are talking about "mama's love" and how the rest of the family feels, and speculating about why they are so quiet: While GM has been the most outspoken, the idea that there is no way SM committed this crime is not unique to her. SM's (I'm guessing paternal, as M seems to be her maiden name) aunt allegedly posts in the comment section of the Telegraph and indicates that she considers the very idea his his guilt to be impossible. So, it appears that it's not just mama.

Glenda McDaniel reminds me of the role Piper Laurie played in "Carrie". She needs to STFU before she totally hangs her son. From what we have read , maintenance man has been cleared. The more I read the more I think McD is a true sociopath, and this is all a game to him, part of his law school "final exam". I wonder how much of this they teach in law school criminal law, how to create reasonable doubt in a jury. Those computer records and his medical records (if not historical then I hope he will be evaluated soon) should be a very telling look into the mind of this cat. Asperger's, perhaps ? Another thing I picked up on in the warrant I don't believe I have seen highlighted is that McDaniel had in his possession a master key and a key to the victim's apartment

The Piper Laurie role is the first thing that came to mind when I read the article. Actually, it was the second thing. The first was why in the world are those poor children being publicly exposed. Every effort should be taken to keep them out of the media. I was relieved to see minimal discussion of the children here yesterday.

Lauren's apartment key was discussed in the previous thread. I still find it interesting and curious that he had one in his possession since the master key would've served the purpose. Some think McD planned to plant it on the MM. I think if that were the plan, it would've been done prior to June 30th.

Quote from Sandstorm:
I respectually and completely disagree.
If I am understanding your post correctly, you approve of this conversation between Mrs. McD and her grandkids.

IMO
It was absolutely UNnecessary to disclose the details and use the Biblical terminology she did with these young children ages 6 to 10.

Why would she discuss chaining Satan, Satan stealing Stephen, and demons with children this young?

I do not think that a child would even begin to conceive that his big brother (uncle) is capable of committing this crime.
Before a child could come to the conclusion that Stephen was capable, the child would have to know and understand that McD was accused of murdering a person and dismembering them and hiding their body parts.
Once that was explained to the child then the child would need to be able to look at their big brother/uncle and say "YES my big brother could do that. "

I can am 58 years old and it is very difficult for me to look at Stephen's photo and think him capable of this crime.

IMO this conversation between Ms McD and her grandkids is indicative of what drove McD directly off Reality Road.
This type of Biblical rhetoric into the minds of young children sends negative
impressions and mixed messages which a child is not equipped to decipher and appropriately apply.

I can only imagine what Mrs. McD told Stephen about SEX as he was growing up which is why he was all mixed up on that topic as well.
Stealing condoms? A virgin? Never a girlfriend at age 25? Creeping in and out of apartments and God only knows what else....

IMO, Mrs. McDaniel would reap a much more stable crop if she sowed Christianity through God's love and children's bible stories and leave the Book of Revelation for an adult study.

Lord, NO, I don't think she needed to go so graphic. And I don't really approve of much of what she said. I meant she couldn't lie and say LG died of an accident. She had to be truthful about people thinking McD did it. Plus, someone, whether adult or child, would tell the children about body parts missing. People do it ALL the freaking time. I don't mean family members. i mean strangers on the street, or people in the schools, or wherever. Kids do it sometimes to be cruel. Adults do it because they are idiots sometimes. They tell children who have family members involved in something like this details either to taunt them or to see if they can get some secret inside info. If the children are blindsided by a stranger on the street with the truth about what happened, it could create a lot of problems, including trust issues with the person who they should be able to trust most, their parents.

You can tell things without being TOO graphic. The religious stuff from the mother wasn't even addressed by me. She has her own issues with that. I was going by the comment from the child. It seemed the mother was surprised by the comment, which is why I thought some other possibly well-meaning intrusive adult had said it to the child. The mother taking it and running with it are a totally different thing.

The reason I said it sounded as if the child thought it was possible he could do this is because, by using Satan as an explanation for this action, the child must believe McD did do this. Now, that being said, if there is more of an article stating the mother discussed the condoms and virginity and all that other stuff, I didn't see it. I only found one link that didn't work, so I searched the macon.com site where I found the Satan quotes from the mom.

Glenda McDaniel reminds me of Ted Bundy's mom Louise Cowell. Louise Cowell believed in her son's innocence up to the day before the execution when he finally told her the truth. I always wondered how she responded to the truth-or did she believe the state had brain washed her son. She never gave anymore interviews after the execution.
Both mother's religious tones are oddly familiar.

From Macon's The Telegraph:

Quote: "Man allegedly attacks woman 112 days after prison release"
"In October 1985, Traypanilla Williams was sent to prison for forcibly sodomizing and, at gunpoint, robbing an 18-year-old woman he later said “just happened to be walking” in Tattnall Square Park the year before. The 1984 assault happened two days after he walked out of prison after doing time on a firearms charge.
Fast forward to 2011. ..."

read more at link: http://www.macon.com/2011/08/08/1658...n-shortly.html

Probably totally unrelated, I know, but very close to the same area, so ...interesting

This was snipped from a comment that Backwoods posted but I wanted to reply to it.

While this, IMO, is VERY good reason why Psychomom should not let her daughter walk through any park in Macon, I do not think this is the Perp.

I think we can rest easy with the FBI being so involved from the beginning.

For example the FBI profilers could look at the evidence that LE had and tell them something so specific as....

You are looking for a white male in his mid to late 20's. The fact that he went to such great lengths to dismember her body says that he knew Lauren. The perp had a working knowledge of LE and went to great lengths to make it look like there was no crime scene and that this was a missing person's case.
The fact that the torso was disposed of in such close proximity to the crime scene suggests that the perp placed value on the torso portion and this crime is sexual in nature. The TOD was over 48 hours, yet the decomposition suggests that the perp might have kept the torso refridgerated. The perp lives close enough to know that there was a search for Lauren, forcing him to dispose of it in a hurried fashion.
The fact that there are signs of post mordem sexual assault on the torso means that you are looking for someone who lacks the ability to form close meaningful relationships, yet placed great value on preserving the torso to mimick a physical relationship. He probably has inserted himself into the investigation as not to "seem suspicious." This will be out of the norm behavior for this perp as he lacks the ability to form complex relationships with others. This person might have wanted to have a relationship with Lauren, yet lacked the social skills to do so. Even though this person did not have a "relationship" with Lauren, he probably has had access to her apartment and detailed personal information and felt as though they did. He might have made what he thought were obvious advances towards Lauren and might have misinterpreted her kindness as reciprocation.
The fact that the perp has a working knowledge of LE, you will need to search vacated apartments that are within view of Lauren's apartment. The perp felt comfortable enough to keep the toro for an extended period of time, so it is not likely that he kept the torso in his apartment or Lauren's.

Glenda McDaniel reminds me of Ted Bundy's mom Louise Cowell. Louise Cowell believed in her son's innocence up to the day before the execution when he finally told her the truth. I always wondered how she responded to the truth-or did she believe the state had brain washed her son. She never gave anymore interviews after the execution.
Both mother's religious tones are oddly familiar.

Interesting, Tut Med. You piqued my interest.
Looked up Louise Cowell and began reading about her son, Ted.
Loads of documentation but this caught my eye:

During high school he {Bundy} was arrested at least twice on suspicion of burglary and auto theft. ...

Bundy {said} he"chose to be alone" because he was unable to understand interpersonal relationships. Though he maintained a facade of social activity in school, he claimed he had no natural sense of how to develop friendships. "I didn't know what made people want to be friends," he said. "I didn't know what underlay social interactions."

His simpler M.O. consisted of forcible late-night entry followed by violent attack with a blunt weapon on a sleeping victim.
Such attacks were virtually silent ...
Most were sexually assaulted and strangled....

Ted Bundy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Posted by SuperSleuth in last thread:

"We don't know exactly what kind of student McD was, but I did read that one teacher
stated he'd encourgaed him to do better. He thought McD was smarter and wasn't
performing to his potential. Maybe his heart wasn't in it? Maybe along the way
he'd had second thoughts about his career choice?"

The professor who said that about SMD was one of his UNDERGRADUATE profs in college, not a law school professor. Your idea is still viable, but not on the premiss that he was underperforming.

No doubt the stress of studying for the bar exam and being made acutely aware of how much you did or didn't learn in the last three years and the upcoming bar exam itself played a role in the reserve coping power of every law graduate studying for the bar. Maybe SMD didn't have much of a margin for additional stress?

Quoted from ThinMan:

"No doubt the stress of studying for the bar exam and being made acutely aware of how much you did or didn't learn in the last three years and the upcoming bar exam itself played a role in the reserve coping power of every law graduate studying for the bar. Maybe SMD didn't have much of a margin for additional stress?"

ThinMan, I respectfully disagree that stress sent him over the edge. I think that his murderous actions were premeditated as a way of showing his supposed superior intellect to, and a way of getting back at, his fellows at Mercer.

I've just turned a corner in my thoughts about this case, having finally read the email that McD sent to the student body of Mercer, and the responses from recipients. Wow! he deserved every bit of it, but his classmates decimated him for (among other things) his attention-seeking and the manipulative nature of the "hypothetical" that he sent out. The exchange led me to believe that, since he started out with the premise that he was smarter than everyone else and he was crushed in that belief, he never stopped stoking the fire to prove that he was above them all. I believe Lauren was the culmination of three years of hatred.

I'd put the link here, but it's to Angel's page (AngelAnalyses), and I don't know if that's an ok thing to do. Angel? Bessie?

I wondered if I might have missed some of the 1L email exchange, because what I read wasn't nearly as bad as what I had expected after the buildup it received here. I was expecting it to be downright bloody, but it really wasn't.

Clearly a handful of students were annoyed with the email and some of the responses were harsh, but "decimated"? I didn't get that impression. The handful of students who responded seemed as annoyed at his (mis)use of the listserv as anything else, and SM's responses to the criticism didn't seem incensed or even particularly bothered to me. I also got the impression that he was receiving more substantive responses privately, I imagine both opposed to his political position and supportive, which is I think what he was seeking.

Sometimes new law students enter thinking they are God's gift and quickly get their come-uppance, in far more severe and embarrassing ways than this. I suppose it may have been enough to cause him to hold a 3-year, murderous grudge if he is a severely narcissistic, thin-skinned sort. I didn't see that in the email exchange, though.

I wondered if I might have missed some of the 1L email exchange, because what I read wasn't nearly as bad as what I had expected after the buildup it received here. I was expecting it to be downright bloody, but it really wasn't.

Clearly a handful of students were annoyed with the email and some of the responses were harsh, but "decimated"? I didn't get that impression. The handful of students who responded seemed as annoyed at his (mis)use of the listserv as anything else, and SM's responses to the criticism didn't seem incensed or even particularly bothered to me. I also got the impression that he was receiving more substantive responses privately, I imagine both opposed to his political position and supportive, which is I think what he was seeking.

Sometimes new law students enter thinking they are God's gift and quickly get their come-uppance, in far more severe and embarrassing ways than this. I suppose it may have been enough to cause him to hold a 3-year, murderous grudge if he is a severely narcissistic, thin-skinned sort. I didn't see that in the email exchange, though.
I saw the e mail exchange, if this were high school the responders could get in trouble for bullying, but it looks like after this McD stopped such postings.
Maybe he did let his resentment fester until it reached a boiling point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkat

Question: if parts were allegedly disposed of in the dumpster........I wonder why there was no odor......especially since it would've been picked up the same day as upright cans?? Or was it another sanitation company to pick up the dumpster since the cans were manually handled..........

<snipped for focus>

Yes, I believe another sanitation company, because the dumpsters at the law school would have been headed to the Twiggs Co. landfill rather than the Bibb Co. one, remember? Not sure about the pick-up days on the dumpsters, though.

Thank you. NO, I do not remember, I was under the impression that another sanition co handled the garbage pickup ACROSS the street or nearby but not 2 on the same property. Thanks for clarification.

Quote from Sandstorm:

Lord, NO, I don't think she needed to go so graphic. And I don't really approve of much of what she said. I meant she couldn't lie and say LG died of an accident. She had to be truthful about people thinking McD did it. Plus, someone, whether adult or child, would tell the children about body parts missing. People do it ALL the freaking time. I don't mean family members. i mean strangers on the street, or people in the schools, or wherever. Kids do it sometimes to be cruel. Adults do it because they are idiots sometimes. They tell children who have family members involved in something like this details either to taunt them or to see if they can get some secret inside info. If the children are blindsided by a stranger on the street with the truth about what happened, it could create a lot of problems, including trust issues with the person who they should be able to trust most, their parents.

You can tell things without being TOO graphic. The religious stuff from the mother wasn't even addressed by me. She has her own issues with that. I was going by the comment from the child. It seemed the mother was surprised by the comment, which is why I thought some other possibly well-meaning intrusive adult had said it to the child. The mother taking it and running with it are a totally different thing.

The reason I said it sounded as if the child thought it was possible he could do this is because, by using Satan as an explanation for this action, the child must believe McD did do this. Now, that being said, if there is more of an article stating the mother discussed the condoms and virginity and all that other stuff, I didn't see it. I only found one link that didn't work, so I searched the macon.com site where I found the Satan quotes from the mom.

She's not on trial............Is this a religious board? Freedom of Religion remember, if you teach Bible you have to teach Satan............everyone does it differently. JMO but I do wish people would quit bashing that poor woman. we raise our children the best we know how. Each of our religious views are different. Problem with this world is everyone telling everyone how to live. No ONE person is the only one right.

The Piper Laurie role is the first thing that came to mind when I read the article. Actually, it was the second thing. The first was why in the world are those poor children being publicly exposed. Every effort should be taken to keep them out of the media. I was relieved to see minimal discussion of the children here yesterday.

Lauren's apartment key was discussed in the previous thread. I still find it interesting and curious that he had one in his possession since the master key would've served the purpose. Some think McD planned to plant it on the MM. I think if that were the plan, it would've been done prior to June 30th.

Maybe I missed something as I don't read this everyday, but I do recall that the key to LG apt was used when he and the friends came to check on her that late night and somewhere along the way I read that her room key was missing after that and I think it was referring to the outside key under vase. Maybe he just kept her apt key after they all entered and left......?? For what reasons I do not know other than possession.

She's not on trial............Is this a religious board? Freedom of Religion remember, if you teach Bible you have to teach Satan............everyone does it differently. JMO but I do wish people would quit bashing that poor woman. we raise our children the best we know how. Each of our religious views are different. Problem with this world is everyone telling everyone how to live. No ONE person is the only one right.

I really didn't focus on the religious stuff, other than the one comment she reported the child stated. I was only responding to someone else's comments. I understood her telling the children the truth about what was going on, because other people will be cruel towards them. Not all, but there are always those few who do that. It is better for them to know the truth than to be surprised and hurt by the comments.

The comment from the child, which we do not have the full context of the comment or where he heard it, sounded like he was providing a reason for why his big brother could have done this. That was sad for me to think about.

The religious tone of her speak doesn't really phase me. She probably needs her faith more than ever right now. The bigger concern is if they have allowed certain behaviors to go uncorrected by using their faith as an excuse in the past. It could have left McD untreated for anything underlying if so. I don't think it would matter, because if he is guilty, he knew it was wrong. No mental illness defense in that case. You can be crazy, you just have to know right from wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie