MO MO - Elizabeth 'Betsy' Gill, 2, Cape Girardeau, 13 June 1965

Great poster. The age progreesion is impressive. Lets hope she is recognized.

i read the whole thread and am sorry you have not been able to locate your sister but i do hope however with all these new leads and facebook updates, someone will come forward !!!

this might not be welcomed but i do find the taken by gypsies title a bit insulting. there is enough xenophobia towards the roma in europe (especially central europe)and in other countries and we don't need this. any ethnic, minority group would feel insulted to see a title like this as there is no 100% proof that any roma (gypsies) were involved. this seems to be in the same racial vein that jews were described as kidnappers of christian children and is only misleading and perpetrating stereotypes
hopefully there were some leads and this little one will be found

I just found this thread. What a moving story! There is a lot of talk of a woman being out there who thinks she was adopted. It occurred to me that I don't really have any strong memories from the age Bethy was when she vanished. It is entirely possible, that if she is indeed alive somehwhere, she was raised by people she believes to be her biological parents. I know this doesn't help but i'm just throwing it out there....

this might not be welcomed but i do find the taken by gypsies title a bit insulting. there is enough xenophobia towards the roma in europe (especially central europe)and in other countries and we don't need this. any ethnic, minority group would feel insulted to see a title like this as there is no 100% proof that any roma (gypsies) were involved. this seems to be in the same racial vein that jews were described as kidnappers of christian children and is only misleading and perpetrating stereotypes

The remark was not meant as an ethnic slur and in this case is a legitimate question in my opinion.

The remark was not meant as an ethnic slur and in this case is a legitimate question in my opinion.

I don't think it's meant as a personal affliction towards any one minority, rather just a fact.

Yes indeed the gypsies were involved in this behaviour... So, there's really nothing more to say. All cool! :)

Since the term "gypsies" is often (negatively) associated with one particular group of people of a certain ethnicity, perhaps we should use the term "itinerant workers," which could cover any number of ethnic groups?

Since the term "gypsies" is often (negatively) associated with one particular group of people of a certain ethnicity, perhaps we should use the term "itinerant workers," which could cover any number of ethnic groups?

From a sleuthing stand point, it won't work. Sherlock would have needed all tools to crack the code. So, no, sorry who then would we be searching? Which division of human life? Gypsies.

From a sleuthing stand point, it won't work. Sherlock would have needed all tools to crack the code. So, no, sorry who then would we be searching? Which division of human life? Gypsies.

"Gypsy (term), an English term for Romani people sometimes considered pejorative
Romani people, a widely dispersed ethnic group living mostly in Europe"
Gypsy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pe·jo·ra·tive
pəˈjôrətiv,ˈpejəˌrātiv/Submit
adjective
expressing contempt or disapproval.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pej...&sourceid=chrome&espvd=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

I grew up in an area where migrant workers from Armenia were referred to as "gypsies," so obviously the term is erroneously used and abused. Historically it is a demeaning term.

Since the term is a contemptuous one, I think we can do better. If we have a specific person of Romani descent in mind, then we should specify so. Otherwise, I think we can come up with a better description.

Also, you have keep in mind that actual gypsies were staying in a motel behind the Gill home during the time of Beth's disappearance. There is some validity to why the term 'Gypsies' is used in this case. Williamson is a common last name for these folk, there are particular areas do the States they lived. They are now waiting for DNA from a woman who may be Beth. She was, I believe located from a Gypsy colony.

Also, you have keep in mind that actual gypsies were staying in a motel behind the Gill home during the time of Beth's disappearance. There is some validity to why the term 'Gypsies' is used in this case. Williamson is a common last name for these folk, there are particular areas do the States they lived. They are now waiting for DNA from a woman who may be Beth. She was, I believe located from a Gypsy colony.

:facepalm:

"Gypsy (term), an English term for Romani people sometimes considered pejorative
Romani people, a widely dispersed ethnic group living mostly in Europe"
Gypsy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pe·jo·ra·tive
pəˈjôrətiv,ˈpejəˌrātiv/Submit
adjective
expressing contempt or disapproval.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pej...&sourceid=chrome&espvd=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

I grew up in an area where migrant workers from Armenia were referred to as "gypsies," so obviously the term is erroneously used and abused. Historically it is a demeaning term.

Since the term is a contemptuous one, I think we can do better. If we have a specific person of Romani descent in mind, then we should specify so. Otherwise, I think we can come up with a better description.

No need. :)
The entire world will still describe them as Gypsies, sorry.
We're here to solve case not to be politically correct in describing our sources.
Don't be so upset...

Any updates? I been looking around the web and I can't find anything new

Why didn't Elizabeth's family call the cops on the gypsies and get them away from their home?

I don't have any new information about Elizabeth, but I was prompted to read this thread when my friend shared this picture. It's heartbreaking to think of Mrs. Gill searching for her daughter for 49 years without any answers. :(

10262232_10152486273149574_4782520293946228748_n.jpg

Im sure there is no news on the DNA submitted or we would know by now, I remember this case well from when I was a child, I lived in NW Arkansas and my grandmother untill I was around 10 would say "dont leave the yard , the Gypsys will take you!" I have an aunt and cousins that live in "the Cape" I have always thought this to be true, maybe just from my Gma, or maybe the fact that my Aunt who lived there thought that was exactly what happened. ....and sidenote; I always reffer to people in groups like that as "travellers"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back