CA CA - Rose Cole, 16, Oakland, 1972 - #2

On this day in 1973, Rose Lena Cole mailed her final letter home. On it she wrote: "Sorry but I just got a stamp!"

Here on some updates I've compiled since my last posting:

This person grew up in Synanon in California in the 1970s. Was Rose there at the same time?

More evidence that the brutal "wilderness therapy" methods pioneered by Synanon remain alive and well today:

Here's a link to the FBI file on Synanon meticulously compiled between 1963 and 1985. Warning! It's very detailed:

I'm convinced that the truth behind what happened to Rose is still out there. We just all have to keep looking and not give up hope!

Recently, I stumbled upon Ghosts of Venice Beach, "An upcoming photo book investigating the dark secrets of Venice, California."

Here is an excerpt from the website:

Synanon Murder Conspiracy

On March 20, 1978, a former member of Synanon was severely beaten (for being a “splittee”) during his honeymoon when he took his bride to show her where he had once lived at the Walker Creek Ranch. Synanon is heavily implicated in the late-1972 or early-1973 disappearance of Rose Lena Cole, who was ordered by a court to enroll in Synanon before she disappeared. She has not been seen or heard from since.

I know this isn't much, but if you'd like to have a look for yourself, here is the link:

Just scroll down when you get there.

Any chance you could repost those letters for us now Shadow? We'd all appreciate it very much! :)

I have been reading about Rose most of the day trying to catch up on all the amazing work family members, LE members, and our amazing web sleuthers have done. I have to say I am only on page 22 of the first thread after reading the media thread and have much more to read, but most of the links are not valid, or marked private now. I will continue on, but a current link to the letters would be great!

I have heard Rose's name around the board, but today was the first time I looked at her case and just want to say you guys are amazing and she has definitely caught my heart as well.

P.S. sorry to post an intro on your post Valmont, just a jumping off point that it would be great to be able to see the letters :)

There is a controversy going on right now in Wells, Texas that bears an eerie similarity to Rose Lena Cole's story. It concerns a 26 year-old woman named Catherine Grove, who last July voluntarily left her family home in Alabama to join the Church of Wells, a religious institution thought by some to be a cult. In fact, the church's domineering ways, communal lifestyle, heavy emphasis on religious damnation and their open hostility towards outsiders has made this a national news story.

Apparently, Catherine attempted to run away from the church at one point. (Beginning to see the similarity with Rose now?) Unfortunately, she didn't get very far. Here is an account given by Catherine's sister, Amy Grove on her Facebook page:

[modsnip]

SOURCE: https://www.facebook.com/prayforcatherinegrove/posts/614955501885191

While this is an ongoing story---and I hope for the best for everyone involved here---I can't help but wonder if Rose met a similar fate. Was she picked up by police somewhere in the Bay Area after her escape from Synanon? Was she then returned to Synanon? Could she have been brainwashed or shipped off to somewhere else? Would they even notify Rose's family or the court system about what they were doing?

So many questions! If only there were more answers! :banghead:

Sorry if this has already been posted but i found a forum discussion on Rose Cole and a person who developed a film to realize he thinks there are 2 victims on the film. The 2nd victim he thinks is Rose Lena Cole...

http://denniskaufman.forumchitchat.com/post/rose-cole-3671850

The film was developed in February, 2009, and we dropped it off at the FBI office in Sacramento in late March. He also has notified the national center for exploited children.

https://illostheories.shutterfly.com/ Here is the film, it is very low quality since it was screen caps captured of a news report. I wonder can anyone can find the actual news report?

Sorry if this has already been posted but i found a forum discussion on Rose Cole and a person who developed a film to realize he thinks there are 2 victims on the film. The 2nd victim he thinks is Rose Lena Cole...

http://denniskaufman.forumchitchat.com/post/rose-cole-3671850

The film was developed in February, 2009, and we dropped it off at the FBI office in Sacramento in late March. He also has notified the national center for exploited children.

https://illostheories.shutterfly.com/ Here is the film, it is very low quality since it was screen caps captured of a news report. I wonder can anyone can find the actual news report?

I'd like to believe that this film footage solves the mystery, but it is so grainy and distorted that it would be hard to identify most anyone in it. Perhaps if the film were cleaned up or digitally enhanced we might be able to make a more definitive identification, but as it stands now there's not much to go on but mere speculation.

Also, how do we account for Jesse Cole's stepchild asserting that Rose called him sometime after this footage was supposedly videotaped?:

The Orr Family
09-28-2011, 09:56 PM

My mother was Jesse Cole's 3rd wife. I can tell you from talking to my mother about these forums and talking to my mother, she recalls that Rose called during the time that they were married 1979-1982 and told him that she had been on the streets for a year and she wanted to come home. Jesse told her that she had been on the streets for a year and she could just keep on going. He did not have much interest in his children.

In addition, how do we account for a woman living in Louisiana who shares Rose's name, birthdate and birthyear?

It's entirely possible that Rose met up with foul play on the mean Bay Area streets, but it's also possible she's living her life quietly somewhere.

In any case, does anyone know if the bodies in that videotape are still available for exhumation? A DNA test could put this matter for rest once and for all.

I'd like to believe that this film footage solves the mystery, but it is so grainy and distorted that it would be hard to identify most anyone in it. Perhaps if the film were cleaned up or digitally enhanced we might be able to make a more definitive identification, but as it stands now there's not much to go on but mere speculation.

Also, how do we account for Jesse Cole's stepchild asserting that Rose called him sometime after this footage was supposedly videotaped?:

The Orr Family
09-28-2011, 09:56 PM

My mother was Jesse Cole's 3rd wife. I can tell you from talking to my mother about these forums and talking to my mother, she recalls that Rose called during the time that they were married 1979-1982 and told him that she had been on the streets for a year and she wanted to come home. Jesse told her that she had been on the streets for a year and she could just keep on going. He did not have much interest in his children.

In addition, how do we account for a woman living in Louisiana who shares Rose's name, birthdate and birthyear?

It's entirely possible that Rose met up with foul play on the mean Bay Area streets, but it's also possible she's living her life quietly somewhere.

In any case, does anyone know if the bodies in that videotape are still available for exhumation? A DNA test could put this matter for rest once and for all.

~ correct me if I am wrong, wasn't the gal in Louisiana a black woman?

I haven't seen a photo of the Louisiana woman just yet so I don't know what she looks like. However, Boomeroreo assured me in a private message that she has seen a picture and adds that the woman is white. Unfortunately she didn't send me a copy of (nor a link to) the image.

The point I was trying to make is that there must be more evidence out there somewhere about what happened to Rose. If she was murdered, maybe there is a video, photos or Rose's personal effects somewhere. If the Jack Tarrance/Zodiac(?) video does shows her, maybe it can be digitally enhanced or something. If it is not her in the film, then maybe someone out there has an eyewitness account of something they remember seeing or hearing. Or maybe there's a police report filed away somewhere in an archive. Could somebody once connected with Synanon know something they're not sharing? If all else fails, maybe there's some forensic evidence someplace for professionals to dig up and examine.

Then again maybe Rose is still alive and we just haven't been looking in the right place. If only we knew where that place was...

The public records of the Cherokee County Sheriffs Office did confirm this was true that my sister Catherine ran away from the Rick Trudeau home and was missing for 18 hours on the night of November 4th going through many pastures into the woods from midnight to the following evening.

What jumped out at me here is the name Rick. Rose mentioned a Rick in one of her letters, as someone she disliked at Synanon. In the letter, she had written Rick followed by another word that was crossed out.

I'll have to see if I can find that just in case it could have said Trudeau.

That's a good idea, I also would like to go through the city directories from the 70's and see just how "Chinese" Chinatown was at the time... I'm wondering if a girl like Rose would have stood out. I know Chinatown has always been a tourist attraction so there would have been plenty of non-Chinese mingling about, but I think only residents or employees in the neighborhood would have a chance of remembering her.

I think I remember her writing that she was staying with an older couple in Chinatown, that may have been the same letter where she said she had a kidney infection, I'm not sure.

I spent a couple hours this evening scouring the 1972 San Francisco city directory.

After mapping out what address ranges are within the limits of Chinatown, I started searching the directory by street and found that where Rose was staying may not be as much of a needle in a haystack as I thought.

IIRC (been a long time since I've read all of her letters) she said she was staying in Chinatown with an older couple in a big house.

What I found in the directory were lots of businesses, lots of apartment buildings, but very few houses. The residents of Chinatown were almost all Chinese in 1972, and most of the few non-Chinese I found lived on the outskirts, and on one alley type street called Joice.

Many of the addresses that appeared to be houses in the directory (with no apartment numbers or only 1-2 residents) turned out to be flats above businesses. Most of them are now used as SRO's or apartments but I will need to do some more research to find out how they were used then. I don't think Rose would have described many of those as a big house, though.

There were also several 'benevolent associations' which are charitable organizations, hopefully some of them still exist. They were all Chinese and had names like "Yim Family Benevolent Association". Some of those associations had several names listed at their address so they may have provided housing. I'm guessing they catered to Chinese immigrants but they might have helped Rose. There was also a YWCA but I'm not sure if it was a housing facility like YMCA (The Village People forgot to tell us if it was! :)

I want to wait until the letters are available again before I dig any further though. I don't want to spin my wheels looking for the wrong things if my memory is incorrect.

Great job with the research, Odyssey! And I agree having fresh copies of Rose's letters could be very helpful right now.

If anyone out there has copies could you please repost them here in this forum? They might hold vital clues that may finally solve this!

I also think I remember reading something from one of her letters about being in a room full of laughter but feeling all alone. I'm not sure if that was part of a poem or just a comment she made.

Of course, there could be other meanings but I'm wondering if it could refer to staying with people who didn't speak English.

If the mention of the kidney infection was in the same letter as the couple in Chinatown, that would be encouraging as well. It tells me that she was diagnosed by a doctor (but need to confirm she was in Chinatown at that time), as I don't think someone can usually tell they have a kidney infection. There were only a handful of doctors in Chinatown also.

I think there's a decent chance of finding someone who remembers her.

ROSE COLE: A PICTORIAL JOURNEY

Rose Lena Cole [CLICK HERE]

Flint, Michigan: Rose's hometown as it appears today. [CLICK HERE]

Aerial view of Orange, Texas: Rose and her brothers were allegedly neglected and/or abused by their birth mother and her family during Christmas break one year. This may have led to Rose experimenting with drugs shortly after. [CLICK HERE]

Jackson County Youth Center: A court judge ordered that Rose be sent here for drug rehab for a year in 1971. [CLICK HERE]

Charles E. “Chuck” Dederich: Founder of Synanon, a drug rehab center that required mandatory abortions for women and the divorce of more than 230 of its married couples. [CLICK HERE]

Synanon facility in Oakland, CA: Synanon purchased this historical building which formerly was the Athens Men's Club in 1970. Situated at the corner of 12th and Clay Streets in downtown Oakland, CA, Rose likely lived here for several months in 1972. In 1977 the city of Oakland seized the Athens Synanon building under eminent domain and had it demolished with explosives. Synanon was ordered to vacate the premises and was compensated for their loss. [CLICK HERE][CLICK HERE]

Tomales Bay: Rose mentioned in a letter home that this was a beautiful place. It's easy to see why! [CLICK HERE]

Marconi Conference Center: In 1972, this was known as the “Synanon World Headquarters.” It is likely that Rose was “gamed” here by Rick in Dec 1972, precipitating her decision to run away from Synanon. In fact, she may have run away from this very facility. [CLICK HERE][CLICK HERE]

San Francisco: Rose may have fled here after her departure from Synanon. [CLICK HERE][CLICK HERE]

San Francisco's Chinatown, c.1973: Reportedly, this was the last known place that Rose was staying at before she disappeared. [CLICK HERE]

Here is an article about Synanon that was published today.

http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/synanons-sober-utopia-how-a-drug-rehab-program-became-1562665776/all

Not much here would pertain to Rose, but there is this:

By the end of the 1960s, adult members might only see their kids once a week, even if they wanted to see them more often. The policies dictating how often a given member could see their children became more and more restrictive throughout the 1960s, and by 1972 Dederich had proposed that the children from every California branch be moved to a single site in Marin County. This was quite obviously a way for Dederich to better control his followers.

Marin County would be the ranch that she went to with Ruth. It could also explain why the former resident from Oakland said there were no children that young at the time.... in Oakland, maybe - because they'd been moved to Marin County?

The article also says that the violence, abuse and head-shaving didn't start until around 1977 - although we may have information on earlier occurrences, I can't remember at the moment.

I recently read from Rod Janzen's seminal 2001 book The Rise and Fall of Synanon: A California Utopia and what I found was truly insightful. I've provided a few examples here, with some sections made bold or underlined for emphasis:

On occasion, teens on probation were also accepted as Synanon residents. Chris Haberman, for example, joined Synanon as an alternative to prison in 1968. Upon the counsel of a Detroit judge, Richard Baxter joined Synanon in similar fashion three years later. But past work with young adults had been entered into on an ad hoc basis, with no ongoing relationship. Synanon's new venture was different. It was a large-scale program that found the commune taking care of hundreds of juvenile offenders.​

Synanon people believed that if anyone could help troubled children, they could, with their wealth of knowledge about character-disordered human beings. The foundation had years of experience with addicts and could house young offenders in an isolated rural setting. Surely Synanon's self-actualized residents could work effectively with this new group. Accustomed to success and wanting to convince federal agencies that drug rehabilitation was still a major focus, Synanon went into the program with both enthusiasm and a measure of apprehension. For a small group of law-enforcement officials and public defenders, Synanon was indeed an attractive alternative to incarceration.

Although his primary interest was helping adult criminals, Fred Davis, an Oakland probation officer, had significant influence on the establishment of the juvenile program. A former liscenced Baptist minister from Arkansas, David had started playing the game in 1967. At the time he was a very frustrated man, having experienced what he described as "minimal success" with his clients, who invariably returned to the streets. But Davis saw something different happening at Synanon, and during the period 1967-73 he convinced the foundation to accept forty-nine adult drug addicts and criminals into residence on an experimental basis. Davis then conducted research---which provided the foundation for a master's thesis at California State University, Hayward---that determined that the program had been a success for thirty-eight of the forty-nine involved. Davis, who became a Synanon resident in 1973, was excited about further possibilities.​

Synanon's primary interest, however, was not adults but the large number of delinquent children who were stuck in the Nevada, Michigan, and California court systems. Particularly influential in this regard were the writings of criminologist E. Harold Sutherland and the sociologist Donald Cressey, an early Synanon supporter, who believed that delinquency was learned behavior, picked up from peers who engaged in crime. Perhaps Synanon's unique approach was the perfect antidote. (pp. 115-6)​

Then again, perhaps it wasn't perfect after all. Janzen goes on to describe the "punk squad" Synanon set up to keep these juvenile offenders in line:

When juveniles took advantage of Synanon's nonviolent approach to discipline, community leaders decided to take strong action, permitting punk-squad workers to use various forms of violence, like pushing offenders to the ground by the chest. In a game, Chuck Dederich affirmed the policy of "knocking those punks on their *advertiser censored*" when necessary. (p. 117)​

Synanon leaders decided that force was warranted in situations when nine- to fifteen-year-old juveniles disobeyed, yelled profanities, and taunted, "You can't do anything to me." In the past, violators might have been removed from the community, but the punks were there under contract. (p. 121)​

Those placed in the punk squad had to hold open doors for all "non-punks, regardless of age; punks were to sit in the back of community vehicles; non-punks were to be addressed as "sir" or "ma'am"; and punks were to smile at all times. Punks also had to rise at 4:00 am each day and undergo rigorous daily inspections." (p 118)​

And speaking of rising early, I finally found a detailed account of what one of Synanon's "Boot Camps" would have been like:

Ironically, Synanon "boot camps" had originally been established in the early 1970s for a select group of "most likely to succeed" residents. The Synanon Academy was the prototype. The program changed when Synanon began to require that all newcomers spend time in boot camps as part of a thirty-day orientation experience. This practice was first introduced by Leon Levy at the Oakland facility.​

In the boot camps all newcomers learned to work long, hard hours to develop a new sense of self-respect---just like the punks---following Synanon's traditional adherence to a philosophy of conditional love. They were also required to carry notebooks so that they could document important ideas and experiences. Uniformed newcomers performed heavy physical and intellectual work and underwent continual inspections. By the mid-1970s most new members were sent to Tomales Bay for this experience since Marin County provided plenty of fresh air and limitless opportunities for physical activities.

Boot-camp instructors were enjoined to "make it rough" since, the words of one individual, they "may as well leave during the first week" if they were going to split anyway. In May 1972, Leon Levy and a number of Synanon administrators spent two weeks experiencing the camp firsthand. In his notebook, Levy described an arduous yet gratifying adventure that included sleeping in tents during very cold nights, marches and drills from 4:00 to 6:00 am, and hard manual labor to test their endurance. Levy learned to appreciate a warm shower and a good meal at the end of the day, and noted the development of a strong esprit de corps. "Boot campt is a place to exercise the will muscle," he wrote positively. There was no violence mentioned in Levy's journal.

Boot camp was sometimes extended to half a year, however, and included members undergoing disciplinary action. The increasing use of terms like reeducation, retraining, and containment in relation to such experiences later caused news agencies to envision a totalitarian society that in actuality was not as critics portrayed it. But although the punk squad experience was rougher than the reeducation or newcomer camps, squares considered even the latter to be a far cry from the game clubs that had earlier been the point of entry to the commune. (pp. 120-1)​

And here's a little something about being "gamed:"

At as early as age three Synanon's children were introduced to the game. (p. 78)​

Many school veterans said that in actuality children's games had often devolved into petty backbiting. According to Bill Olin, "Outside the game, arguments were infrequent, crying was rare, and fighting was almost non-existent. In side the game, however, children sometimes experienced emotional terror. (p. 79)​

The experience also taught children to speak clearly and assertively. But players also found themselves "cut to their core feelings," as one individual put it, and many are still angry about having been forced to take part. (p. 79)​

Many of those interviewed said that they had incurred emotional damage before reaching an appropriate level of maturity. (p. 80)​

Younger residents who were turned loose in the game were simply not ready for it.

Here's another example of Synanon's "boot camp" wilderness therapy in action in modern times:

"Families who send their troubled children to therapeutic wilderness camps in the US sometimes call on the services of a shadowy figure known as the "escort", writes Trisha Telep."​

Here's another example of Synanon's "boot camp" wilderness therapy in action in modern times:

"Families who send their troubled children to therapeutic wilderness camps in the US sometimes call on the services of a shadowy figure known as the "escort", writes Trisha Telep."​

I remember this cult and ....more info can be found at www.cultnews.com

Ted Patrick "retrieved" many from cuts and "de-programed" them.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cynde64
Back