Questions to Ask

Earthbound Misfit I

Justice for Kimberly Shawn Cheatham
Reaction score
I don't know if there is a place here on Jason's Forum (perhaps under the general discussion threads??) to ask the ME or LE questions or if they are open to this sort of thing regarding Jason's case or not?

I do have a question and maybe others here have questions also, mine may seem like a silly question, but, I'm going to ask anyhow because I've been sitting here going through many facebook photos on the Grateful Dead Facebook page and something just hit me. There's a lot of men running around with no shirts on..SO, what I want to know from the ME is, did Jason have chest hair and if so, just how much? If I see a face that may be iffy as a possible as being Jason, yet he looks like he is a bear on his chest and our Jason had little chest hair, I can rule him out pretty quickly. Sorry, if that sounds silly, but, I had to ask. :waitasec:

http://antsmarching.org/tour/venue.php?venueid=33

Would that be possible? Dave Matthews Band played Walnut Creek Amphitheatre on 7/26/1995 & that would definitely have been the same crowd of people as the Dead show, esp. in 1995. Maybe that's where the Carolines were headed, esp. if we suspect that they were from Chapel Hill (right beside Raleigh).

Iwould like to know if the note had any thumb tack holes or tape remnants on it that may shed some light as to where and how it was left for JD. I also wonder if it has been checked for prints...if there are any I wonder if they can be ran through the current national database.

That's a good question about if there were any thumb tack holes or tape marks, etc. on the note. It would also be good to find out if they checked for prints. I wonder who we'd ask? I'm sure the image of the note we are seeing online is most likely a scan and not the actual note.

Iwould like to know if the note had any thumb tack holes or tape remnants on it that may shed some light as to where and how it was left for JD. I also wonder if it has been checked for prints...if there are any I wonder if they can be ran through the current national database.

Has anyone tried to hit the Dave Matthews Band websites or forums and leave Jason's information there?

http://antsmarching.org/tour/venue.php?venueid=33

Would that be possible? Dave Matthews Band played Walnut Creek Amphitheatre on 7/26/1995 & that would definitely have been the same crowd of people as the Dead show, esp. in 1995. Maybe that's where the Carolines were headed, esp. if we suspect that they were from Chapel Hill (right beside Raleigh).

Anyone know how much DNA testing would be? Like in the Benjaman Kyle case, DNA testing was done and showed he was related to the Powells. How much would something like that cost?

NC, I had asked the Texas Missing Persons Clearinghouse (I asked them because I have dealt with them on many occasions) that very question back at the end of May and they told me I should ask the University of Northern Texas (I THINK...need to find my paperwork)and ask them about it. Whatever was the case, I didn't hear anything back from them .

Here is what I posted from a thread called "This may sound odd BUT:

05-29-2010, 09:13 AM
RKnowley

This may sound odd BUT....
Jason Doe's DNA is available and I wonder how much it would cost and if it would be allowed to take his DNA results and submit it to the Genealogical DNA surname projects?

I had emailed the University of Northern Texas about using this tool as a way of possibly getting some of our unidentifieds identified or at least it would be a lead for us to follow. I didn't get any reply back from UNT and I didn't do a follow up email or phone call. I could do that if anyone thinks this might be a worthwhile project.

What do you think??

Anyone know how much DNA testing would be? Like in the Benjaman Kyle case, DNA testing was done and showed he was related to the Powells. How much would something like that cost?

OK, Found the email I sent out:

Email addresses removed to protect privacy

Question regarding DNA and unidentified remains
To:
Date:Tue, May 4, 2010 10:29 am

To whom it may concern;

I am hoping you can answer a question for me regarding DNA & unidentified remains. Could you tell me if there are any plans in the future to take the DNA of unidentified remains that already have their DNA available and submit it to genealogy DNA surname projects in hope that you may be able to come up with a surname of an unidentified person? I am thinking that perhaps a special fund that could be started to pay for the cost of submitting the DNA to the genealogy surname projects. I really feel that a lot of people would be willing to donate to this fund if there is any chance of getting the unidentified remains identified.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me,

RKnowley

RK,
I would be willing to donate. I think lots of people would. I would not think it would be too much. I was looking into it a couple years ago when I was researching my family history. I believe it was only a few hundred dollars at that time. Found out my first cousin had already submitted his dna so I didn't need to spend the money. Now, that was submitting it to be tested against a specific surname, might be completely different.

I would definitely be willing to donate. I believe it would be in another ballpark cost wise to have to submit the DNA to more than one database. Since we have no clue of a surname, otherwise, hey. why would we need to do this DNA test lol. I wonder if Colleen Fitzpatrick (the one who has been working with BK) would like to get involved in this case?

RK,
I would be willing to donate. I think lots of people would. I would not think it would be too much. I was looking into it a couple years ago when I was researching my family history. I believe it was only a few hundred dollars at that time. Found out my first cousin had already submitted his dna so I didn't need to spend the money. Now, that was submitting it to be tested against a specific surname, might be completely different.

from the Family Tree DNA Website

Y-DNA67 $268.00
This is a male specific test. Results identify the ethnic and geographic origin of the paternal line. It includes a balanced panel of sixty-seven Y-chromosome Short Tandem Repeat, STR, markers. The additional markers refine the predicted time period in which two individuals are related and eliminate unrelated matches. A perfect match at sixty-seven markers indicates a common ancestor in very recent times. This is the ideal test for matching if a break in the paper trail, such as an adoption, is known or suspected. A haplogroup is determined and backed by our SNP Assurance Program. When another person shows identical results within our database, if both parties have signed the Family Tree DNA Release Form, then we will inform them of the match. The customer will also receive a certificate and report describing the testing process and the meaning of sixty-seven marker matches

That is only $268. Now, I realize it might not be possible due to legal/privacy issues, but for $268 we might could get a last name. You know we could raise that much through donations.

See, that is not a bad price at all. But, are they "specifically Virginia ME" going to be willing to give up any of Jason's DNA for testing, or I wonder who took samples of his DNA and where it is on file.

from the Family Tree DNA Website

Y-DNA67 $268.00
This is a male specific test. Results identify the ethnic and geographic origin of the paternal line. It includes a balanced panel of sixty-seven Y-chromosome Short Tandem Repeat, STR, markers. The additional markers refine the predicted time period in which two individuals are related and eliminate unrelated matches. A perfect match at sixty-seven markers indicates a common ancestor in very recent times. This is the ideal test for matching if a break in the paper trail, such as an adoption, is known or suspected. A haplogroup is determined and backed by our SNP Assurance Program. When another person shows identical results within our database, if both parties have signed the Family Tree DNA Release Form, then we will inform them of the match. The customer will also receive a certificate and report describing the testing process and the meaning of sixty-seven marker matches

That is only $268. Now, I realize it might not be possible due to legal/privacy issues, but for $268 we might could get a last name. You know we could raise that much through donations.

I guess the main question before we could even move onto anything else, would be, would whomever has "custody" of Jason's DNA allow it to be submitted to genealogy surname databases in hopes we may find a good lead as to what Jason's surname, etc. is. Is that argreed?? Is that the first step we would need to find out before moving on in the DNA direction?

The little 'smiley face' on the note from Caroline and Carolina O., does that mean anything to anybody? Anyone seen that before?

I think the little smiley is Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead. :)

ETA: I think that your question is a good one, maybe Caroline has left that "signature" on other notes of hers?

The little 'smiley face' on the note from Caroline and Carolina O., does that mean anything to anybody? Anyone seen that before?

RKnowley,

that is exactly what I was thinking, she might have drawn that on other notes. Didn't know if it was some universal figure that I had missed.

I don't think the smiley is Jerry Garcia. Looks more like a girl to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back