Spouse: Kevin
Address: 3714 Connecticut Ave
City: Kenner
State: Louisiana
Zip Code: 70065-3020
Phone Number: 504-463-3184
Residence Years: 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002

Obit for Raymond Bitter Sr:
Raymond E Bitter Sr, an air-conditioning engineer retired from Westminster Management Co after 10 years, died Saturday at East Jefferson General Hospital after a long illness. He was 68. Mr Bitter was born in New Orleans and lived in Kenner for 12 years. He was a parishioner of St Lawrence the Martyr Catholic Church. He was a World War II veteran and a member of the VFW Post No 6640 of Metairie. Survivors include his wife, Dorothy Laiche Bitter, and a son, Raymond E Bitter, Jr. A funeral Mass will be said Tuesday at 11am at Tharp-Sontheimer-Tharp Funeral Home, 1600 N Causeway Blvd. Burial will be in St Joseph Cemetery No. 2.

Raymond Bitter Jr was born 1950, died 1991. Can't find another thing about him, oddly enough.

Raymond Sr's brother (and therefore Dorothy Bitter's brother in law) was Edward... here's Edward's obit:
Edward Michael Bitter, on Sunday, February 20, 1977, at 5:30pm., beloved husband of Loyce Mary Fayard; father of Karen Ann and Darlene Mary Bitter, son of Clara Guillie and the late Edward M. Bitter, brother of Raymond Bitter, age 54 years. Relatives and friends of the family, also Royal Street Corporation and Oakwood Shopping Center are invited to attend the funeral. Services at the funeral home of Joseph Laughlin Company, 4500 Magazine Street, on Wednesday February 23, 1977, at 11 o'clock a.m. Religious services at Lakeview Christian Center, 132 Veterans Memorial Blvd. Interment in St. Joseph Cemetery No. 2.

Darlene M Bitter appears (per public databases) to still be in Metairie, and appears to still use Bitter as a surname.

She lived at 508 Melanie in Metairie. Also at the same address: Karen B(itter?) Rostrup. I believe this is her sister, presently or currently married to Jason Rostrup. She may also be Karen Smithe.

Backing up, according to an existing tree in Ancestry, there are actually TWO Dorothy Laiches b.1924 in Louisiana. One is the daughter of Alberta Billings, but in Alberta's obituary, dated 1981, she is Dorothy Laiche Hansmann. Not our Dorothy.

Our Dorothy is the daughter of Jay and Ophelia Laiche. Ophelia died 1983 in Kenner, which suggests this is the correct family. There was another daughter, Dorothy's sister, Audrey, who appears in the 1930 and 1940 censuses with these same parents. Audrey is born 1926/1927.

Ophelia's obit confirms:
Ophelia Laiche on Monday morning, July 18, 1983, at 12:30 o'clock. Beloved wife of the late Jay Laiche. Mother of Mrs. Dorothy Bitter and Mrs. Audrey Lewis. Sister of T. J. Melancon of Brittany, Louisiana and the late Ralph and James(?) Melancon. Also survived by 3 grandchildren. Relatives and friends of the family are invited to attend the services from the Funeral Home of Joseph Laughlin and Company, 4500 Magazine Street, on Wednesday morning, July 20, 1983, at 10:45 o'clock. Followed by a Mass of Christian Burial from St Francis of Assisi Catholic Church. Interment in St Vincent Soniat No. 1 Cemetery.

Jay Laiche's obit from Mar 1973 reads similarly.

I'm stuck here, though. I can't find much about Audrey Laiche Lewis (did she divorce and remarry? Did she stay in TX or move back to Louisiana?

I have a SSDI record for an Audry Lewis:
Last Residence: 70065 Kenner, Jefferson, Louisiana
Born: 26 May 1926
Died: 14 Jan 2005
State (Year) SSN issued: Louisiana (Before 1951)

...but no way to tell if that's her or not.

Anyway - maybe that gives someone better with records-about-the-living something good to work with?

I found a phone number for Darlene. I will PM Raine our person who usually contacts either families or ME's depending on jurisdiction.

I will most more when we know more. Thanks for the help. NM

It is probable that Dorothy Bitter could be buried with her husband in St. Joseph's Cemetery number 2 and the Veterans Administration would provide a headstone for both - if applied for. But someone acting as or for the next of kin would have to make those arrangements.

I have again submitted the contact information for Darlene Bitter, the possible daughter of Edward Bitter which would make her a niece by marriage to our poor Dorothy. They seemed like they had a good life with a lot of sadness, but there is no reason no one should not be claimed. I hope someone responses. I submitted the info on the NamUs site.

It would appear that Raymond Senior and Raymond Junior are buried together, as seen by their names on the same headstone in St. Joseph's Cemetery. No mention of Dorothy, however.

If her body is still unclaimed, a cemetery official, or anyone acting as a relative could make arrangements for her to be buried in the same plot as her husband and son. Checking with the cemetery could determine if this has been done.

Raymond E Bitter Jr.

BIRTH
18 Jul 1950
DEATH 27 Feb 1991 (aged 40)
BURIAL
Saint Joseph Cemetery #2
New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, USA

LINK:

Raymond E Bitter Jr. (1950-1991) - Find A Grave...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back