Resolved NJ - Newark, BlkFem UP1430, 25-35, in Passaic River, Feb'85 - Name withheld

Migmuu

Reaction score
NamUs UP#1430
NJSP profile

Found on Feb. 27, 1985 in the Passaic River near Newark, NJ.
The New Jersey State Police website puts the estimated date of death at around January 1st, although I don't know if that's accurate because the ME was able to get the eye color and fingerprints.

Demographics
Black/African-American
25 - 35 years old
Female
5'3 in height
130 - 140 lbs

Physical
Black hair
Brown eyes

Clothing
None. She was nude save for two yellow metal ball earrings with a ''post'' on the right one.

Identifiers
Fingerprints are available/entered
Dentals are available/entered
DNA is unavailable

EVELYN FOX
fox_evelyn.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/fox_evelyn.html

1. Age (33) is within range
  2. Race (black) is within range
  3. Height (5'2) is within one inch of the UID's estimated height
  4. Weight (120 lbs) is within 10 pounds of the UID's estimated weight
  5. Hair color (black) matches
  6. Eye color (brown) matches
  7. Timing is just about perfect. Fox disappeared on December 28th, 1984, and the UID (according to the NJ State Police's website) is estimated to have died on January 1st, 1985. If that date is wrong, it doesn't necessarily rule Fox out as she could have been alive for a while after she was last seen (considering the lack of details about her disappearance).
  8. Distance between Newark and East Orange is only 3.9 miles

Fox disappeared on Dec. 28, 1984. I can find very little information on her case - just that she was last seen on that day and has never been seen again.
Similarly, I can't find much on the circumstances of the UID's discovery. All I know is that she was found nude in the Passaic River in Newark. No idea whether it was a homicide, suicide, or an accident, or if she even died in that river (as opposed to just being dumped there).

You'd think LE would have checked this out already, but mistakes do happen and things do get overlooked.

Fox has DNA but no dentals, and the UID has dentals but no DNA, so no match could be made by NamUs.

EVELYN FOX
fox_evelyn.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/fox_evelyn.html

1. Age (33) is within range
  2. Race (black) is within range
  3. Height (5'2) is within one inch of the UID's estimated height
  4. Weight (120 lbs) is within 10 pounds of the UID's estimated weight
  5. Hair color (black) matches
  6. Eye color (brown) matches
  7. Timing is just about perfect. Fox disappeared on December 28th, 1984, and the UID (according to the NJ State Police's website) is estimated to have died on January 1st, 1985. If that date is wrong, it doesn't necessarily rule Fox out as she could have been alive for a while after she was last seen (considering the lack of details about her disappearance).
  8. Distance between Newark and East Orange is only 3.9 miles

Fox disappeared on Dec. 28, 1984. I can find very little information on her case - just that she was last seen on that day and has never been seen again.
Similarly, I can't find much on the circumstances of the UID's discovery. All I know is that she was found nude in the Passaic River in Newark. No idea whether it was a homicide, suicide, or an accident, or if she even died in that river (as opposed to just being dumped there).

You'd think LE would have checked this out already, but mistakes do happen and things do get overlooked.

Fox has DNA but no dentals, and the UID has dentals but no DNA, so no match could be made by NamUs.

Do you know if it has been submitted to Law Enforcement? It looks like a viable match.

Do you know if it has been submitted to Law Enforcement? It looks like a viable match.

I don't know. I'll be calling tomorrow to submit it, so I'll definitely ask before sending them an e-mail with all the information

Ok, so I called it in to forensic anthropologist Donna Fontana, who was listed as a contact on NamUs. She was very, very nice and was familiar with both Fox and the UID's cases, although she didn't know if they'd been checked against one another. I also emailed her a link to this thread.

Turns out she isn't Evelyn Fox. Fox is currently the first (and only) name on the rule-out list :/

Oh well, time to go searching again

I'm getting a permission error on this Namus profile.

Think this one can be marked as identified? NamUs link is down and Doe Net seems to have closed it based on that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back