Post Verdict -Working Out The Unresolved Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

geevee

Well-Known Stickie
Reaction score
Now that we've had some time to digest all of the evidence and witness testimony from the trial, there still seems to be quite a few unanswered questions. I thought I'd start a thread where we could discuss and work out all the pieces that don't fit and things that don't make sense to us while we're awaiting the penalty retrial.

Tops on my list at the moment are the camera, pictures and the memory cards. The blue one does not appear to fit Travis' camera yet was found in the washer and introduced into evidence and nothing more said about it. Did it have pictures on it? Why don't we know anything more about it?

Det. Melendez said when he received the camera the memory card and its cover were in the camera slot where it belongs, but the Sony card that fits his camera doesn't look like it has a cover. Very confusing.

The 'unclothed' pics are another mystery to me; with the events that preceded his murder, it doesn't seem reasonable that Travis would invite her in and have that sort of encounter with her. We know he told at least one woman he was chatting with that he was afraid of JA's stalking behavior and even presumed she was reading their communications, would he forget all of that and invite her into his bed a week later? I find that difficult to believe.

And one glaring question about her trip - once she was out of Arizona and near Salt Lake City, UT, why did she refill the all of the gas cans? There was no financial benefit and with the extra weight of those 3 cans, it probably had a negative impact on her gas mileage, not to mention the smell and danger of carrying around so much gasoline. She had plenty of places to fill up, so why would she lug around gas when it wasn't necessary?

It doesn't seem that she had time to take a long drive into the desert to dispose of the weapons before meeting Ryan (will need to check the timeline on that part), but she obviously did it for a reason, I hope eventually we can figure that out.

Those are the questions bothering me presently, please post yours and let's get to work on finding some answers. :)

I hope this thread is alright with the mods.

Here are pics of the camera and both memory cards.

Attachments

• cameranadcards300.jpg
    cameranadcards300.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 224
Thank you so much for this thread Geevee. I have unanswered questions too. Like the ones you mentioned, and others too. But, as far as the gas can fill up after the murder, I was intrigued by that too. Part of me thought for a moment that maybe she had someone with her and filled gas for that person too, or maybe they met there to dispose of weapons and both needed gas, or maybe she had thoughts of going somewhere else, or maybe she was delerious by then. Also, the part of the trip after she saw Ryan seems odd too, when you look at how long it took and the stops she made.

Thank you so much for this thread Geevee. I have unanswered questions too. Like the ones you mentioned, and others too. But, as far as the gas can fill up after the murder, I was intrigued by that too. Part of me thought for a moment that maybe she had someone with her and filled gas for that person too, or maybe they met there to dispose of weapons and both needed gas, or maybe she had thoughts of going somewhere else, or maybe she was delerious by then. Also, the part of the trip after she saw Ryan seems odd too, when you look at how long it took and the stops she made.

Hi Khaki, I just ran through the Tesoro receipts testimony on YT and got screen shots of the two receipts and the bank statement that shows the third transaction (whatever the paper was JM was discussing with Ms. Buff (Tesoro IT manager) about that gas purchase wasn't shown on the screen so all I could get was the bank statement.)

Tesororeceipts_zps04b1fb4a.jpg

Since it concerns the cameras/pictures, I also got a pic of the cord on Travis' desk that appears to have some reddish staining on it but I've read it wasn't marked for testing and have heard no testimony about it.

cord_zps548f4a81.jpg

Great thread! Are we allowed to speculate? I bet she felt like she needed to go back and burn stuff a second time, so she needed more gasoline.

Great thread! Are we allowed to speculate? I bet she felt like she needed to go back and burn stuff a second time, so she needed more gasoline.

I think that, too. She must have made quite a bonfire or three somewhere along the line. I'm surprised she didn't start a forest fire! I know that the floormats from the rental car were missing. Did she melt them into goo somewhere? Certainly she would have burned her blood clothes and anything else that might conceivably point to her that she managed to grab before she left. Still, you wouldn't think it would take 3 gas cans' worth of gasoline to burn anything she might still have with her AFTER she left Ryan B's house. We don't know where the gascans went, either. Maybe she tried to melt the gun and knife before disposing of them. If nothing else, a good long time in a fire would at least burn away any blood and other dna evidence. Was she planning to set the entire rental car on fire, but chickened out, realizing that it would look VERY suspicious to do so? Was she planning to set someone on fire?

As the saying goes, "that girl ain't right".

Re: the gas cans being refilled in Utah. My take on that was since she had to use the gas cans and it was on record that she filled them at the beginning of the trip, she needed them full when she returned back home. It would support her reasoning for doing so..."I was afraid of running out of gas and getting stranded, so I brought spare gas with me. Fortunately I did not run out of gas, so now I have these full containers."

I'm not sure what to think about her burning things in the desert. Some people have said that the rental car smelled of smoke when she returned it, so perhaps she did. It would have made more sense to do it before she hit SLC, but I am not sure that time allowed for that.

I'm hung up on pictures and how they fit into everything. I'm sure that the prosecution has a ton of stuff that was not entered into evidence and if we knew more, we might have less questions.

There is something very unsettling about the "nude/sexplay" pictures that were recovered from the camera and are time stamped June 4 around 1:30. IMO, neither of them appear to be engaged in this activity. Facial shots show no excitement or attempts to look sexy. The KY also bothers me. It is in way too many of the shots, having been moved around. It is as if the KY is a staged prop. I don't think that these pictures were taken as part of Travis's fantasy...IMO, this was orchestrated by CMJA for some other purpose.

The time of the pictures is another consideration. CMJA stated that she and Travis woke up around 1 and they then had this photo shoot/sexual romp. Travis's cell phone records show that he returned a text to Chris Hughes at or around 12:13. Why the discrepancy?

Is anyone out there familiar with cameras and software? The reason for asking is that a theory has circulated that CMJA may have transferred images onto the memory card of TA's camera. When an image is transferred, what information goes with the file? In the original image, I believe that a time stamp is created (which can be manipulated) along with the camera model and camera settings for the shot. If she transferred images, wouldn't the camera model still be attached to the file, showing that it was taken with CMJS's Canon or Olympus, not Travis's Sony? Given the prosecution team's attention to detail, this is something that would have been noticed.

Since I believe that she got into the house by promising Travis she would do anything and everything.. and since she figured deleting the pictures would take care of them I think she went in there knowing she would do whatever it took to get him to warm up to her again so that she could see him nice to her. I think she wanted to kill him when he was completely spent and also feeling good about her. I believe he went into that shower feeling good about things and that made it better for her. I think she wanted him to see what she was capable of. If not she would have just shot him to death at first opportunity and been done with it.
She wanted him blindsided, hurting, suffering. She wanted to torture him.

So for me I believe that she promised him the moon and so she posed for all the pictures for HIM.

I think the gas cans were because she wanted to make sure she could not been seen in AZ at any gas stations.. She wanted a clear drive through both ways.

Re: the gas cans being refilled in Utah. My take on that was since she had to use the gas cans and it was on record that she filled them at the beginning of the trip, she needed them full when she returned back home. It would support her reasoning for doing so..."I was afraid of running out of gas and getting stranded, so I brought spare gas with me. Fortunately I did not run out of gas, so now I have these full containers."

I'm not sure what to think about her burning things in the desert. Some people have said that the rental car smelled of smoke when she returned it, so perhaps she did. It would have made more sense to do it before she hit SLC, but I am not sure that time allowed for that.

I'm hung up on pictures and how they fit into everything. I'm sure that the prosecution has a ton of stuff that was not entered into evidence and if we knew more, we might have less questions.

There is something very unsettling about the "nude/sexplay" pictures that were recovered from the camera and are time stamped June 4 around 1:30. IMO, neither of them appear to be engaged in this activity. Facial shots show no excitement or attempts to look sexy. The KY also bothers me. It is in way too many of the shots, having been moved around. It is as if the KY is a staged prop. I don't think that these pictures were taken as part of Travis's fantasy...IMO, this was orchestrated by CMJA for some other purpose.

The time of the pictures is another consideration. CMJA stated that she and Travis woke up around 1 and they then had this photo shoot/sexual romp. Travis's cell phone records show that he returned a text to Chris Hughes at or around 12:13. Why the discrepancy?

Is anyone out there familiar with cameras and software? The reason for asking is that a theory has circulated that CMJA may have transferred images onto the memory card of TA's camera. When an image is transferred, what information goes with the file? In the original image, I believe that a time stamp is created (which can be manipulated) along with the camera model and camera settings for the shot. If she transferred images, wouldn't the camera model still be attached to the file, showing that it was taken with CMJS's Canon or Olympus, not Travis's Sony? Given the prosecution team's attention to detail, this is something that would have been noticed.

I'd agree with you about her reasoning for returning with full gas cans (if they were full when she arrived back home) but since no one else except Darryl knew she took gas cans or knew she was going to AZ, I don't think she thought she had anything to explain to anyone about them when she returned.

I don't think she could have detoured into the desert on her way from Travis' to burn the clothing because (aside from it being nighttime) she had just about enough gas in the containers to get out of AZ (having used the gas in her tank to get from Pasadena to Mesa). Minor4th did a good post on the receipts thread on legs of her trips and gas needed for the Ford Focus (I wish I knew how to multiquote from another thread, but here is that part:

---
Pasadena, CA to Mesa, AZ - 386 Miles, 11.7 gallons of gas
Mesa, AZ to Hoover Dam - 293 miles, 8.9 gallons of gas
Hoover Dam - Las Vegas to West Jordan, UT - 450 Miles, 13.6 gallons of gas
West Jordan, UT to Winnemuca, NV (via SLC) -367 miles, 11.1 gallons of gas
Winnemuca, NV to Sparks, NV - 163 miles, 4.9 gallons of gas
Sparks, NV to Yreka, CA - 255 miles, 7.7 gallons of gas
Yreka, CA to Redding, CA - 98 miles, 3 gallons of gas

That's a total of 61 gallons of gas, and let's add another 5 for driving around town in West Jordan,etc. for a total of 66 gallons of gas needed on the murder trip

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Arias Trial; Compare the receipts and the monetary transactions
----
(My note - There is also a debit on her bank statement for 46.11 in Mesquite, NV on 6/05 I believe, not sure if the receipt copy is available.)

She refilled them after leaving Ryan and heading for home (3 transactions around 4:00 a.m on 6/06 in SLC) and none of the legs from there required more than a tank of gas - unless she was going to burn them after having left Ryan, but that would have meant she had to have them in the car/trunk and Leslie Udy was a passenger in that car while in Utah. None of her other gas purchases show refilling of them, only in SLC.

Agree fully about the pics, the nudies don't look like anyone is having fun and that KY bottle seems to be the star of the show, along with him throwing it towards the camera. I read somewhere trustworthy that during the sex tape he mentions about her introducing KY into their play but he says he was using Vaseline while he's pleasuring himself during that call, so apparently didn't keep any KY in his house. If I have time this afternoon I'll listen to the whole tape and confirm that part.

Oh - one other thing about those pics and the ones after her hair was darkest brown - look at her eye makeup, one eye (her right, or on the left as we look at it) has noticeable eyeliner on the lid, but if the nudies were taken less than 24 hours from then, and she said she didn't shower in between, why don't we see that same eyeliner in the nudie where you can see her face pretty well (the full length shot)?

Great thread!

As most of you, I – too – have wondered why photos were taken that day. Was it “proof” that CM would gladly erase incriminating pix … and, by extension, would not ‘release’ the sex-talk recording? (IIRC, video they allegedly shot together June 4th -- on CM’s camera (?) -- was allegedly nixed while TA was still alive. Do I have that correct?). Why, indeed, does the KY looked staged? Were, in fact, CM’s nudes and the sex shots truly taken June 4th? (See below for metadata info.) If not, why would CM doctor the metadata to make it look as if she was at TA’s June 4th, thus placing her at the scene?

Why was the camera bag left, open, in the “foyer” outside TA’s bedroom? Did he know she was photographing him while he showered?

I just can’t wrap my head around the WHY of those photos. A way to put TA at ease? A failed attempt at last-minute blackmail? In CM’s mind, further ‘proof’ that TA was ‘using’ her and, therefore, deserved to die? I just don’t get it.

Metadata info:
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/glossary/f/metadata.htm

“One type of metadata is the extra information which almost all digital cameras store with your pictures. The metadata captured by your camera is called EXIF data, which stands for Exchangeable Image File Format. Most digital photo software can display EXIF information to the user, but it is usually not editable.

However, there are other types of metadata that allow users to add their own descriptive information within a digital photo or image file. This metadata might include the characteristics of the photo, copyright information, a caption, credits, keywords, creation date and location, source information, or special instructions.”

http://www.labnol.org/software/exif-data-editors/14210/

“You may be a bit surprised but Windows Explorer is actually a wonderful Exif editor. Just right click any image file, choose Properties and click the Details tab. You can now edit a wide range of metadata associated with that image from the camera model to the shooting date to copyright information and more.

Those sex photos entered into ev as taken June 4 have always jarred me. I remember writing that both of them looked like unwilling actors in a vid by an off-screen *advertiser censored* director. He is full of apathy and indifference and she has a hard, cold, resentful stare. The emotions actually do fit that day better than any other day we've heard about. It is OVER. But even with all of that, what the photos capture is "off". What could they have been trying for? Actually, in that recorded phone call made Yreka to Mesa, they did discuss making a *advertiser censored* movie but considering the state of their relations, what motive would cause them to shoot these scenes now? I am convinced in my heart & soul that as of June 4, they both knew they had no future together in any capacity. Her fake voice mails & texts about Othello and his travel to Northern Cal were cover-up only, not delusions. Did she suggest they try this with his new camera so he would have a souvenir of what used to be? That sentiment sounds just like her sort of sales pitch and he might agree because the idea once excited him & she would remind him of it. Independent of all this, I think the camera was bought for sight seeing in Cancun. But this leaves unexplained, her real reason for posing & taking the pictures. Especially when she is bitter about it (those eyes). In May, her theme seems to be blackmail, those questions she asks on the call, requiring him to repeat lecherous phrases she had certainly heard and heard clearly. Maybe she wanted to throw it in someone's face. Someone like Mimi. Well, we do know she is rotten at planning although she did and does plenty of it.

Tuba, I just got it. Othello!

I'm slow but I was late to the case.

Those photos show lack of life (sorry for terms) for both persons. Shown in film in the opening scene in "Magnolia".

She came to get him to say it was her or no one. It was her and Cancun or no one. He simply played out one last sex scene for the fun and to get her off his back. She may have already threatened as her own kin said she most likely did. But even if not, the plan was formed long before. My way or DEATH!

A force of nature, as ironically, the myth supplies.

Despite the fact that they do have a staged look to them, and that she has that dead stare, I have wondered if those sex pics were from an earlier date and she used them as a guise of proving she could be trusted and transferred them to his camera that afternoon. Who knows, but there is so definitely more to the story she spun.

Alright, I listened to the entire sex tape, singing near the end and all (David Lohr's YT upload), at 8:20 T mentions 'working her booty' in relation to her talking about him grabbing her butt whenever other men are around, not having that type of sex. The only other time I heard either mention that was his fantasy of tying her to a tree. He does mention the pop rocks and tootsie pop thing but not where or when it occurred or what else was involved.

At 46:40 he asks if she knows she's the one who introduced him to KY, she asks a bit later if that's what he just used and he says 'No, I used fricken Vaseline' and she asks if it's the lotion or the other kind, he says something about gel but it was hard to hear clearly.

At 1:07:40 when they're about to finish the call and each go to sleep she says 'Let's try to astral project and see if we can find each other in the astral world while we're sleeping and our astral bodies are running around...", I only mention that part because I hadn't heard of it before and found it sort of unusual, she didn't strike me as the astrology type but maybe it had some meaning to him. She did play him like a fiddle throughout that tape.

Once trust is broken, everything becomes suspect.

CMJA has lied and manipulated so many things that we question everything.

She opened the account on May 29th, at which time she was taking the steps in preparation for murdering Travis. He was slaughtered on June 4th, his body was discovered late on June 9th and she posted the video on June 12th. Why was this done?

FWIW, David Hughes uploaded an Eddie Snell video to Youtube on May 28, 2004.

There is a Flickr account open under Travis's name that bothers me also. It shows member since June 2008, with no day given. Did he open this account? Who uploaded the pix?

Link to his account:http://www.flickr.com/photos/27308599@N07/with/2547017825/

There are only a handful of pictures. They are all scenic shots with Travis in the foreground. Six shots dated from May 2005 through October 2007. Some are taken with CMJA's Canon Rebel XTi, others with a Sony DSC-W7 and an unknown digital camera. The composition of the pictures is all the same; Travis in the foreground in the lower right hand corner with a significant landscape in the background. All photos use the same depth of field technique, but appear to be photoshopped. It has been so long since I used manual settings on an SLR camera that I cannot truly state unequivocally that the shots have been doctored, but one does stand out. IIRC, the settings used in the Ponder Bryce shot should have a blurred background, not the clearer one shown in the image.

So was it really Travis who opened this account, and if so, when? He would only have had a few days to do this and something just does not square right with me. My gut says that CMJA is involved in this somehow. If she did, why and what were her plans?

Once trust is broken, everything becomes suspect.

CMJA has lied and manipulated so many things that we question everything.

She opened the account on May 29th, at which time she was taking the steps in preparation for murdering Travis. He was slaughtered on June 4th, his body was discovered late on June 9th and she posted the video on June 12th. Why was this done?

FWIW, David Hughes uploaded an Eddie Snell video to Youtube on May 28, 2004.

There is a Flickr account open under Travis's name that bothers me also. It shows member since June 2008, with no day given. Did he open this account? Who uploaded the pix?

Link to his account:http://www.flickr.com/photos/27308599@N07/with/2547017825/

There are only a handful of pictures. They are all scenic shots with Travis in the foreground. Six shots dated from May 2005 through October 2007. Some are taken with CMJA's Canon Rebel XTi, others with a Sony DSC-W7 and an unknown digital camera. The composition of the pictures is all the same; Travis in the foreground in the lower right hand corner with a significant landscape in the background. All photos use the same depth of field technique, but appear to be photoshopped. It has been so long since I used manual settings on an SLR camera that I cannot truly state unequivocally that the shots have been doctored, but one does stand out. IIRC, the settings used in the Ponder Bryce shot should have a blurred background, not the clearer one shown in the image.

So was it really Travis who opened this account, and if so, when? He would only have had a few days to do this and something just does not square right with me. My gut says that CMJA is involved in this somehow. If she did, why and what were her plans?

I've had the same questions about the Flickr account:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27308599@N07/

There's something 'off' about those pics, and why just those few? Were they maybe on one of the discs she was going to bring him? There isn't a profile or anything else on that account, he was a pretty wordy guy, it seems strange he'd open that and only upload a couple pics and type nothing.

Can some one post the pictures here to discuss? I think you guys are on to something!

Here are the two pics I mentioned above:

janoeyeliner_zpsc4d1f065.jpg

jaeyeliner_zps38f5cf56.jpg

Same eye makeup from the day before?

About this pic of her on the bed, something is above her on the bed but I cannot get any clarity on what it is, I think the large chair ottoman is the cushion on the far upper left, but what is on the upper right? You can see light from the window reflecting on it, and something on that, my thoughts have been that it's Travis sleeping and maybe that's his elbow or arm but I can in no way be sure, it's just too dark. Oh how I would love to have all these pics on a disc so I could really study them.

I cropped it as closely as I could to not show the body parts as well as not blowing the margins:

ja1cropped_zpsebbcce8e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member