Canada: New missing and UID index launching in 2013

Sadly, I'm not surprised Canada's attempt at a national missing persons/unidentified remains data-bank will be inadequate.

I noticed something very strange a few days ago on the OPP site for unidentified remains - it's down to 57 from about 190 when it began in 2006. I sent an e-mail 2 days ago asking why it's been pared down, but did not receive an answer. If the OPP will transfer the info to the new inadequate database that won't be up and running for up to a year from now, what is the plan in the meantime?

Sadly, I'm not surprised Canada's attempt at a national missing persons/unidentified remains data-bank will be inadequate.

I noticed something very strange a few days ago on the OPP site for unidentified remains - it's down to 57 from about 190 when it began in 2006. I sent an e-mail 2 days ago asking why it's been pared down, but did not receive an answer. If the OPP will transfer the info to the new inadequate database that won't be up and running for up to a year from now, what is the plan in the meantime?

I agree, and expect that it may be less helpful than what we have now. The right to privacy will be cited as the reason for not publishing any details about the MP or unidentified remains.

The potential for public assistance will be minimized. We'll probably get more help from facebook. :/

Canada's Missing

Allan Kenley Matheson was not included the last time I looked.

Todd Matthews posted on his FB a few months ago that a few people from NamUs were going to speak to them; hoping to explain why a DNA database was very important.

I doubt that the problem is that the decision makers don't know how important it is to have a DNA database. There's probably just no political will to fund it.:banghead:

I have been visiting the new site on a regular basis and although I am glad it is there, I am saddened by the lack of details most cases have.

Would like to share a few stats on this database that should be up to snuff by now since we are well into 2014, but is sorely lacking in a few areas - as in a segment of the population for the most part ignored.

As of today there are 554 people in the database - some provinces have few, if any, people listed. Goes against the 'national' part of the title of the database.

There are 83 women missing from in or near Edmonton, Alberta. Link to WS thread -

CANADA CANADA - 83 Missing & Murdered women of Edmonton, ON - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Alberta has elected, so far, to include 27 people to this 'national' missing persons database. 5 are aboriginal women, 2 are aboriginal men. For the most part, the 83 missing in Edmonton are aboriginal women. The RCMP and the aboriginal people cannot agree that there are 800 missing and murdered aboriginal women alone, dating back to the 70's or earlier. The number is somewhere in that neighborhood, and I don't see why 800 is overstated as the RCMP suggest - they don't have their own list available.
The number still missing of the 800 is unclear to me - maybe someone else could find a breakdown?

The number of aboriginal people listed as missing in the 554 people in total is 81 or 14.6% - 31 are aboriginal women or 5.6% and 50 are aboriginal men or 9%. 15 of these men are known to have had boating accidents, so there are 35 unknown listed missing or 6.4%.

- 21 aboriginal women are listed between 2000 to date and 17 aboriginal men.
- 7 aboriginal women from 1990 to 1999 and 10 aboriginal men.
- 3 aboriginal women from 1980 to 1989 and 11 aboriginal men.
- 0 aboriginal women from 1960 to 1979 and 12 aboriginal men.

2 teenage aboriginal girls went missing together in 2008 from Quebec - Maisy Odjick and Shannon Alexander. Quebec failed to include them in the 86 people that province submitted to the database. They are listed in the Ontario OPP site - a good thing.

Here is a picture of Maisy and Shannon in the CBC news the other day -

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/no-...y-in-mps-report-on-aboriginal-women-1.2563854

The picture is from a rally in Oct 2013 - a call to action on missing aboriginal women. Guess the RCMP and Quebec LE don't read the news. If they do, then there is a systematic problem of bias. Jmo. I sent these stats and more to the CBC, maybe someone there will point out the omission.

Hopefully in another week or so, the RCMP will stop planning this national database, and make it happen.

Attached is a new article with a statement by the RCMP -

'RCMP said they are dedicating "resources to develop a national missing persons strategy" that will guide the police force's approach to missing persons cases.

So the RCMP don't have a strategy at the moment. No surprise. Imo, forget a DNA database to go with this in the next 2 years as promised. The two go hand in hand and there is no strategy - according to the RCMP.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...milies-want-action-from-rcmp-report-1.2645901

Ridiculous, imo. We need to put civilians in charge of making this happen - the RCMP couldn't even get a 'national' missing persons database in place after 2 years of trying.

Not surprised by this news in the CBC - article 12 June 2015 at 3:03 pm - predicted one year ago.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/aboriginal/c...-for-mmiw-international-expert-says-1.3110788

Canada has a DNA databank in the process and it is expected to be fully implemented by 2017.

A very nonchalant statement that contradicts previous reports of full implementation by 2016. No explanation, just a new date. Funny enough, I wrote the CBC many months ago and asked that they give the public an update on how close the 2016 target date is expected to be. Did not anticipate this response. Shameful imo.

It's not difficult to read back scratching into this response imo. The CBC likes to report how they, and only they, are on top of the progress of MMIW investigations and how much they and only they care. Seems they can be talked out of reporting accuracy when needed. Jmo.

In the meantime, they have a minimum of 2 reporters (that we have heard about) crossing many legal and ethical lines. Both fired and one facing charges. Ed?

National DNA bank won't be as effective as U.S. counterpart, critics say
Canadian DNA bank's proposed funding system comes under fire

By Donna Carreiro, CBC News Posted: Jun 11, 2015 11:19 AM CT Last Updated: Jun 11, 2015 7:41 PM CT
But here in Canada, it took Barb Desjarlais almost three years and a CBC investigation to do the same. Critics say a highly-touted national DNA databank that's expected to be in place in Canada by 2017 may not improve things because local jurisdictions will still have to foot the bill.

Drawbacks to Canada's DNA databank, says U.S. expert

Canada's DNA databank for missing persons and unidentified remains is expected to be fully in place by 2017, with a price tag of $8.1 million. But it will not include additional grant money to help jurisdictions cover the costs of DNA testing. As a result, critics say the chances are that it won't be populated with as many samples as it could be. And with fewer samples in the system, chances of finding matches decrease too.

It's a concern that the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police raised to the federal government, but to no avail. It's also of concern to Todd Matthews, who said the more DNA samples in Canada's files, the more likely that U.S. counterparts could benefit, too. And vice versa.

"I can see a point in time where Canada gets developed to the point where they have access like we have," Matthews said. "Because there's no doubt about it. You have some of our missing persons as bodies in your country. Some of your missing are bodies in our country. And if you don't know if they're living or dead, how can you move on? It is a huge tragedy."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back