OH OH - Katelyn Markham, 22, Fairfield, 14 August 2011 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salem

Former Member
Reaction score
Please continue here. I have added some reminders, but please remember you are responsible for posting within ALL the TOS and rules.

Victim Friendly

Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing victim behavior,good or bad is fine, but do so in a civl and constructive way and ONLY IF IT IS RELEVANT TO THE CASE. Additionally,sleuthing family members that are not suspected of being involved in the crime or disappearance is not allowed. Don't make random accusations or post personal information (even if it is public) like parking tickets, address, or first and last names of all their relatives and their neighbors. Also, never "bash" or attack them, or accuse them of involvement. However that does not mean that family members cannot come into discussion as the facts and issues of the case are discussed.

Verified / Professional Posters

We are lucky enough to have posters from all walks of life with a broad spectrum of expertise. Some may have special inside knowledge about a case or be directly related to a player in the case. This is all extremely valuable information for the forum. However, we like to make sure that anyone posting as a professional in a specific area (doctor, lawyer, search and rescue, etc.), or as someone with inside information, truly is what/who they claim to be. Verification is 100% optional. No posters are required to become verified unless they wish to post inside or professional information. If you wish to become verified, please contact Tricia, Websleuths owner, at wsverify@xmission.com with your Websleuths name, your real name, the case, and your phone number and a good time to call. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Inviting outside contact or alluding to "private" additional information:

“Inviting” is termed as a post where you invite other members to contact you to find out more information, rather than post it in the forum. This is not allowed and any posts with emails or invitations to contact for more information will either be edited or deleted entirely. This includes use of the Private Message system via comments such as “Check your PMs” or “PM me” posted in discussion threads. Think about it - it's like whispering into someone's ear while you are at a table full of other people. If you want to have a private conversation just have it, don't announce it. Additionally,please don't drop hints or post on the board that you know something or are privy to inside information but you won't or can't post it.
If you can't post it, don't.

Social Networks

Regarding Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and other social networking or blog websites: Links may be used to direct posters to view something on a social networking page. But postings on social networking sites are not considered fact; they are rumor. Copying and pasting, or taking screen caps, directly from these pages is not allowed. Paraphrasing is okay. (Exception: If the Twitter or Facebook post belongs to a verified news station, it may be copied. But a link should still be provided.)

Also, social networking pages may only be linked if they are directly related to a case, i.e. the victim or suspect. We don't want to post to someone's mother, brother, employer, milkman, or postal carrier just because they know the main player. We also NEVER link to minor's pages (unless they are the victim). And be sure that the page actually belongs to the person being discussed. Do not link to someone if you are not 100% sure it is the correct person. And if a social networking is set to private and you get in the back way, you may not post what you find. Private means private!

If you have any questions, contact a member of the Mod Team.

Salem

Thread 1

I wonder if JC knocked or rang the bell at Katelyn's before using his key, since her car was there; he never said...just curious.

People keep saying how stuff is so weird. It's actually got me thinking about how weird most of the stuff I do would probably seem to other people.

My phone is always dead or lost or I turn it off to get a good nights sleep. But I also use it as an alarm a lot of the time. smart phones have battery life so if she forgot to plug it in, even if it was her alarm, but if she was going to work at 11, why need an alarm? (Also I thought I read she didn't show up for either job, so that sounds like maybe she had to work at the other one before DB?)

Also, sometimes people don't get my texts/photos for days or weeks. I had to switch carriers recently because it would be forever until someone got a text even if it said I had service. Photos take forever to send sometimes, even if you are in the same room as someone. And by forever, I mean hours, days, weeks, months.

Oh and I am pretty sure the gps is off only once the battery is taken out, even if the phone is off.

I used to always leave the house with out my id/purse. Just some money/cards in my pocket. Most of the time I would even forget my keys if I was walking somewhere.

I think the fact that he says he "didn't want it to go that far" is suspicious, that he doesn't want anyone to worry is odd too, but maybe he just feels the need to comfort others. Maybe the spot he is in, it's uncomfortable for him to focus on how bad he feels so he wants to help others feel better? When my mom died, it was easier to focus on how other people felt than deal with/show my grief. Or worrying about what my mom wanted for her funeral was easier than crying.

I also think that him going somewhere else before calling 911 (unless he left his cell at home and she didn't have a land line, most young people don't) is crazy strange. It seems like he was either cleaning up or disposing of something.

I didn't think the burning of the documents was weird until I saw her address is clearly visible on her website. Why would she be concerned (except maybe account numbers) about anything getting out if it's on the web already? Also I make my boyfriend do stupid **** for me all the time. Just because it's easier for him to do it. Hopefully the friend can rule him out or say it's not true.

The dog thing bothers me. My dogs (a 60 lb mutt and a 9.5 lb shih tzu) can both hold their bladder in their kennel for over 12 hours. (not something done on purpose, but i have had 12 hour class days and no one to let them out) If I leave the big one in a room with the door closed he will "anger ****" 5 times in as many minutes, all while tearing up the room. My shih tzu will hold her bladder for days in the winter time if I don't drag her outside. Although the passed two days, she pooed in the bedroom with out trying to wake me up, less than 8 hours after her last trip outside, even though she is 4 and very well trained. I'm not sure if the dog going to the bathroom could really be a good time line indicator.

The reason the dog thing bothers me is that my boyfriend of 4 years would never put my dogs up in a way that I wouldn't. He would kennel them, just like I would. Also, someone mentioned not wanting to bother the dog or let it sleep. I can't move with out either of my dogs knowing it and being immediately at my side, just in case they are about to get something good.

I just can't see someone who knew the dog, putting it up in a way that was not normal, unless it wouldn't go in the bathroom for them. If my dogs are not used to the person putting them away, they won't go in the kennel easily. It would be easier to shut them in a room, BUT I don't know if they would even allow that if I was knocked out/fighting/scared. The little one would bark and bark unless she was lunged at, then she might run into the room so the door could be closed. I know, not all dogs are like my dogs, but dog behavior is easier to predict than human behavior. If my dogs are used to the person putting them away (my boyfriend or his mom) they would go immediately, even before asked, just by what the person is doing, i.e. putting on shoes, grabbing car keys. Wouldn't the dog be used to John putting it away?

I don't think it's weird that he didn't stay the night that night (except as someone pointed out, if he was worried about the carnie folk.) My boyfriend and I lived together and sometimes one of us would stay at his mom's or sleep in a different room, just because. If we weren't living together, even if engaged/sleeping together, I know he wouldn't stay the night all the time. Who's to say they didn't have sex (hence the disheveled bed) and then he left? Sometimes you just want to spread out or have the house all to yourself.

It's a very odd case for sure. Someone mentioned that there was a gravel quarry that had been filled with water. That would be my guess if there is a body to look for.

As far as body language goes, it's more about seeing how the person acts when asked nuetral questions and then what changes when he is asked a direct question about the incident. If he is shaking his head no, it's only indicative of a lie if he is saying yes or something positive where it would make sense that he should be nodding (and vice versa). Touching his face could be a nervous tic, unless he only does it when he's answering a direct question. Does his tone of voice change, suddenly rise? Are his palms open and face up or tucked away? You have to look at the whole picture and not just clips. Also someone mentioned looking down and to a certain direction. I think it's actually up and the direction depends on what the dominant hand is. Does he answer a question with a question? The "to be honest" could be a vocal tic, like saying like or um. However, even though I do say, honestly quite a bit, when people say something like that they are most likely lying. Honestly, truthfully, etc. Because most people who are honest don't need to qualify it. I usually say honestly when someone asks me a direct question and I don't want to answer it honestly so I say it in away that is more asking. As in, Honestly? I'm not sure I like that dress. Although I really hate the dress. But again, if that's all that is indicating he's lying he probably isn't. Is he taking a very long time to answer or using stalling mechanisms? Body language is tricky and I found the only trick that for sure works is talking about something else completely/acting normal and then surprising the person with the question. That's when they really make mistakes, but you also can't say a word until they do after you ask the question. No matter how long it takes, if you talk first they will lie. Negotiators use that tactic, whoever talks first is always the one to lose. If he is on guard because he's being interviewed it would be really hard to see if he's lying. (I had a lying boyfriend once and studied this stuff like crazy. That one trick works every damn time. Especially because if they do hold out and don't say anything, well you know what you asked is true. Also the longer they wait to talk, the more likely they are going to lie.)

Ok, I think I'm finished.

Welcome to WS, Baabaablacksheep!

Enjoyed reading your first post and look forward to many more!!

Copying and pasting, or taking screen caps, directly from [social networking] pages is not allowed. Paraphrasing is okay.

I'm so sorry, I've probably violated that rule. I assumed the very opposite would be true - that posting verbatim quotes would be preferable to paraphrasing. My apologies!

People keep saying how stuff is so weird. It's actually got me thinking about how weird most of the stuff I do would probably seem to other people.

My phone is always dead or lost or I turn it off to get a good nights sleep. But I also use it as an alarm a lot of the time. smart phones have battery life so if she forgot to plug it in, even if it was her alarm, but if she was going to work at 11, why need an alarm? (Also I thought I read she didn't show up for either job, so that sounds like maybe she had to work at the other one before DB?)

Also, sometimes people don't get my texts/photos for days or weeks. I had to switch carriers recently because it would be forever until someone got a text even if it said I had service. Photos take forever to send sometimes, even if you are in the same room as someone. And by forever, I mean hours, days, weeks, months.

Oh and I am pretty sure the gps is off only once the battery is taken out, even if the phone is off.

I used to always leave the house with out my id/purse. Just some money/cards in my pocket. Most of the time I would even forget my keys if I was walking somewhere.

I think the fact that he says he "didn't want it to go that far" is suspicious, that he doesn't want anyone to worry is odd too, but maybe he just feels the need to comfort others. Maybe the spot he is in, it's uncomfortable for him to focus on how bad he feels so he wants to help others feel better? When my mom died, it was easier to focus on how other people felt than deal with/show my grief. Or worrying about what my mom wanted for her funeral was easier than crying.

I also think that him going somewhere else before calling 911 (unless he left his cell at home and she didn't have a land line, most young people don't) is crazy strange. It seems like he was either cleaning up or disposing of something.

I didn't think the burning of the documents was weird until I saw her address is clearly visible on her website. Why would she be concerned (except maybe account numbers) about anything getting out if it's on the web already? Also I make my boyfriend do stupid **** for me all the time. Just because it's easier for him to do it. Hopefully the friend can rule him out or say it's not true.

The dog thing bothers me. My dogs (a 60 lb mutt and a 9.5 lb shih tzu) can both hold their bladder in their kennel for over 12 hours. (not something done on purpose, but i have had 12 hour class days and no one to let them out) If I leave the big one in a room with the door closed he will "anger ****" 5 times in as many minutes, all while tearing up the room. My shih tzu will hold her bladder for days in the winter time if I don't drag her outside. Although the passed two days, she pooed in the bedroom with out trying to wake me up, less than 8 hours after her last trip outside, even though she is 4 and very well trained. I'm not sure if the dog going to the bathroom could really be a good time line indicator.

The reason the dog thing bothers me is that my boyfriend of 4 years would never put my dogs up in a way that I wouldn't. He would kennel them, just like I would. Also, someone mentioned not wanting to bother the dog or let it sleep. I can't move with out either of my dogs knowing it and being immediately at my side, just in case they are about to get something good.

I just can't see someone who knew the dog, putting it up in a way that was not normal, unless it wouldn't go in the bathroom for them. If my dogs are not used to the person putting them away, they won't go in the kennel easily. It would be easier to shut them in a room, BUT I don't know if they would even allow that if I was knocked out/fighting/scared. The little one would bark and bark unless she was lunged at, then she might run into the room so the door could be closed. I know, not all dogs are like my dogs, but dog behavior is easier to predict than human behavior. If my dogs are used to the person putting them away (my boyfriend or his mom) they would go immediately, even before asked, just by what the person is doing, i.e. putting on shoes, grabbing car keys. Wouldn't the dog be used to John putting it away?

I don't think it's weird that he didn't stay the night that night (except as someone pointed out, if he was worried about the carnie folk.) My boyfriend and I lived together and sometimes one of us would stay at his mom's or sleep in a different room, just because. If we weren't living together, even if engaged/sleeping together, I know he wouldn't stay the night all the time. Who's to say they didn't have sex (hence the disheveled bed) and then he left? Sometimes you just want to spread out or have the house all to yourself.

It's a very odd case for sure. Someone mentioned that there was a gravel quarry that had been filled with water. That would be my guess if there is a body to look for.

As far as body language goes, it's more about seeing how the person acts when asked nuetral questions and then what changes when he is asked a direct question about the incident. If he is shaking his head no, it's only indicative of a lie if he is saying yes or something positive where it would make sense that he should be nodding (and vice versa). Touching his face could be a nervous tic, unless he only does it when he's answering a direct question. Does his tone of voice change, suddenly rise? Are his palms open and face up or tucked away? You have to look at the whole picture and not just clips. Also someone mentioned looking down and to a certain direction. I think it's actually up and the direction depends on what the dominant hand is. Does he answer a question with a question? The "to be honest" could be a vocal tic, like saying like or um. However, even though I do say, honestly quite a bit, when people say something like that they are most likely lying. Honestly, truthfully, etc. Because most people who are honest don't need to qualify it. I usually say honestly when someone asks me a direct question and I don't want to answer it honestly so I say it in away that is more asking. As in, Honestly? I'm not sure I like that dress. Although I really hate the dress. But again, if that's all that is indicating he's lying he probably isn't. Is he taking a very long time to answer or using stalling mechanisms? Body language is tricky and I found the only trick that for sure works is talking about something else completely/acting normal and then surprising the person with the question. That's when they really make mistakes, but you also can't say a word until they do after you ask the question. No matter how long it takes, if you talk first they will lie. Negotiators use that tactic, whoever talks first is always the one to lose. If he is on guard because he's being interviewed it would be really hard to see if he's lying. (I had a lying boyfriend once and studied this stuff like crazy. That one trick works every damn time. Especially because if they do hold out and don't say anything, well you know what you asked is true. Also the longer they wait to talk, the more likely they are going to lie.)

Ok, I think I'm finished.
Smart phones can "have battery life" depending on your apps.

I have never had a lag time of days, week or months, sending or receiving texts or photos. Maybe several minutes, but, no more that.

You can enable or disable GPS on a phone with a click. IMO, most people are tech savvy with cell phones and know the ins and outs, no matter what make.

Dogs have distinct personalities just like humans. What works for one doesn't work for another. You just can't generalize.

I am counting on LE having some very specific locales for TES to search, including doing the sonar thing with the rivers/lakes, etc...hope it is a large, thorough search with results, where LE can say that no, she is not in the area, or whatever...

Although the "rumor mill" (better known as FB) allows for various reasons she may have wanted to vanish for a while, I can't imagine people doing this to their loved ones (and pets.) I know people do it all the time, but I don't understand it. You can always go, just leave a note.

Not that I think Katelyn did this...I feel some harm has come to her. But if she is out there, I would hope she would let her father know, at least...

JMO

Thanks Kiln Wood.

I would like to add about the dogs, the reason it seems strange about the kenneling, for those unfamiliar with seperation anxiety. It would be helpful to know if it was a shelter dog or bought at a pet store where dogs are in small cages all day or if it was directly from the mother. I have found that shelter dogs/pet store dogs have very similar issues, even if on different ends of the spectrum. They seem to have more of an issue with seperation anxiety and that's why they need to be kenneled/put in a room when one leaves. If that's the case, which I assume it is since the dog was normally put into a bathroom (not much for the dog to get into, easy to clean up messes) then she would not want the dog making a mess of the bedroom. The possibility of replacing the mattress alone...

Also, if John liked the dog would be good to know because if he did care about the dog, then putting it where it normally goes would be the loving thing to do. Putting it in a different room or "cave" would be added stress for the animal and also out of habit for him if he's used to putting the dog away. If he did do something to KM, that doesn't mean he wouldn't still act lovingly towards the dog. If he hated the dog, he might not care where he put it so much and it probably would not go easily into the bathroom for him.

I have never had a lag time of days, week or months, sending or receiving texts or photos. Maybe several minutes, but, no more that.

You can enable or disable GPS on a phone with a click. IMO, most people are tech savvy with cell phones and know the ins and outs, no matter what make.

Dogs have distinct personalities just like humans. What works for one doesn't work for another. You just can't generalize.

BBM. I actually have had lag times that were longer than a few minutes, going into hours when sending / or receiving pictures. With texts, the problems seemed to be that they got stuck in the outbox. While this has not happened to me very frequently, it absolutely has happened.

Albeit this does not have much to do with the case, but I did want to confirm that a lag can occur even lengthy ones and may be dependent on a number of factors including random flukes.

I actually didn't have any apps on that particular smart phone, just really bad service from t-mobile, which used to be very good where I used to live. The battery never lasted a full day. I've heard many people have long lag times for pictures. I'm kind of tech savvy, but considering how often cell phones are up dated, sometimes it does take me awhile to figure things out. Yes, you can enable the GPS on the apps, but I mean the ones with the cell towers. How the phones can be traced that way, sorry I wasn't clear. Even if you don't have a smart phone with gps the cell phone can usually be found as long as the battery is in it/working, I believe. Could be wrong, but you also can't generalize about people knowing all that stuff either or all phone battery life.

As far as dogs go, I've added another post about that before I saw your reply. Most people on here are generalizing about most things. If a dog is used to being kenneled/put in a specific room, it's habit and dogs are creatures of habits. Pavlov and all that.

I actually didn't have any apps on that particular smart phone, just really bad service from t-mobile, which used to be very good where I used to live. The battery never lasted a full day. I've heard many people have long lag times for pictures. I'm kind of tech savvy, but considering how often cell phones are up dated, sometimes it does take me awhile to figure things out. Yes, you can enable the GPS on the apps, but I mean the ones with the cell towers. How the phones can be traced that way, sorry I wasn't clear. Even if you don't have a smart phone with gps the cell phone can usually be found as long as the battery is in it/working, I believe. Could be wrong, but you also can't generalize about people knowing all that stuff either or all phone battery life.

As far as dogs go, I've added another post about that before I saw your reply. Most people on here are generalizing about most things. If a dog is used to being kenneled/put in a specific room, it's habit and dogs are creatures of habits. Pavlov and all that.

You can disable the GPS on a phone which means you can't be tracked. However, the phone pings to towers as long as it is turned on so they can tell the nearest tower.

The pings are stronger and more frequent when you are using the phone. Other pings occur because of information the phone receives. ie: date and time. Updates to apps, etc.

I have had messages that "failed" and I didn't notice for several hours or a day and had to resend them. BAD carrier. I have also received some that were sent several hours before I received them.

This is always a problem with the carrier.

Apps have nothing to do with enabling/disabling GPS. It can be found in settings. Apps wiil drain your battery, depending on how many and what kind you have. When I use a live wallpaper - my battery goes downhill fast.

As for dogs - lol - they are like children. They are ALL different.

JC didn't ring a bell or knock. He used his key to get in. That was why he didn't know whether the door was locked or unlocked.

Interesting point. She had her home address listed online. Was that on her art website?
I had not noticed that.

JC didn't ring a bell or knock. He used his key to get in. That was why he didn't know whether the door was locked or unlocked.

Interesting point. She had her home address listed online. Was that on her art website?
I had not noticed that.

Has it been said HOW they entered the condo? Dad first? Fiance' first? Used a key to enter or just turned the doorknob and walked in?

I had not noticed that.

Yes it was. Not on the contact page, but on a portfolio page. Her email address is also listed, on her facebook page, as victimgirl.

I have seen a lot of shelter dogs with the same issues. And while all dogs are different, they are not that different, as in they do what they are trained to do, used to doing. Besides, as I pointed out, everyone else is generalizing about people and phones. How EVERYONE always has their cell phone and it's ALWAYS charged, ready to go. Why can't I speculate about the behavior of the dog? Especially when I've seen plenty of dogs, completely unrelated by anything, behave the same way? Most people think their dogs are different, but it's not really the case. If you have a dog, when you pick up it's leash, does it usually react like it's going to go out? If you have a dog and you rattle the snack bag, does it come running? Does it like to go to the same spot to lay down or the same few spots? Does your dog come when called by it's name? It doesn't understand that that's it's name, it just understands that when it hears that sound you want it to come to you. Maybe your dog is a little simple minded, maybe her's was too, maybe my dogs are just rock star kinds of dogs, but it doesn't hurt to check it out. Especially if there's nothing else to look at. All you have to do is check to see what his relationship is like with the dog. Easy to do.

People on here and facebook assume it's must be the boyfriend just because it is usually the boyfriend. Okay, well dogs are usually creatures of habit. Dogs have personalities, but that doesn't mean they don't behave similarly in certain situations. The reason dogs like to be kenneled is because it represents a cave. Not just to random dogs, but to all dogs. Just like your house is not easily interchangeable with your neighbors (your stuff/your smell) a dog wants a specific "cave" to feel safe. It's his home. But the dog needs to be trained for it as well. If the dog is trained for a certain room or kennel, well it will do what it's trained to do. Perhaps you just aren't familiar with Pavlov and his dogs.

Also, what does it matter why her phone may have had a low battery life? All I said was that it happens so someone turning off her phone/gps could have been that.

I did not LOL at anyone else's comments nor did I say they couldn't suggest what they wanted to, so I would appreciate the same respect. Thank you.

I don't know if someone else has already mentioned this about the picture of her that was sent to JC's phone.

If JC was out of the cell tower range or somewhere underground or in a tunnel he wouldn't of been able to pick up this picture at the approx time her phone sent it because of the lack of signal - assuming it was her that sent it in the first place?

I wonder if LE have looked at areas where signal coverage is weak and conducted searches in those locations?

Thoughts and prayers going out to TES today as they search for Katelyn.

I couldn't cut and paste because the other thread has been locked, about her mother. I have a friend who knows the dad and that side of the family, she was at every search that was organized by LE and the mom was never there. I ask her some questions last night thru an email will let you know what she says.

Baabaablacksheepwelcome and thanks for the great post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee