Row row row your boat, slowly cross the Sea

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
A British rower has set a record for the slowest-ever Atlantic crossing, coming ashore in southern England Friday, 124 days after leaving North America.
The time was a disappointment, considering the 23-year-old rower, Oliver Hicks, had hoped to break the record of 62 days for the fastest west-to-east crossing.

But Hicks, who set off May 27 from Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey, did claim a record for being the youngest person to row an ocean solo, and another for being the first Briton to make the crossing.

"It was just one of those things. If we had had better weather, we would have been quicker," Hicks said.

"I have no regrets at all about being out there so long, but I am very pleased to be getting home now. The last weeks have been very tough as it got colder and wetter and darker and rougher."

Hicks said he was ready to go again.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050930/ap_on_fe_st/britain_slow_rower

He arrrived home a hero. They showed on TV where 100's, if not 1000's, welcomed him home. They are celebrating the fact that he had one of the the slowest crossings ever, when what he was trying to do, was set a record for the fastest crossing. He encountered a number of storms at sea and that made his trip slower, and longer also. Even Prince William was among the crowd that welcomed him.

I think anyone who rows across the ocean is amazing! slow or fast, can you imagine the fatigue and the danger in facing the elements. :clap::clap:

Casshew said:
I think anyone who rows across the ocean is amazing! slow or fast, can you imagine the fatigue and the danger in facing the elements. :clap::clap:
It really is an amazing feat--such a test of endurance. I've read where it isn't at all unusual for them to get rolled over quite a few times, when they hit storms, plus being alone for that number of days; just you against the ocean.

This modern-day "wrong way Corrigan" so to speak is a brave man. The ocean is unforgiving. Good for him. (I wonder if he is a relative of mine? There are Hicks relatives in my family, though I have never traced it back very far.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back