Identified! FL - Hernando Co., WhtMale Skeletal 556UMFL, 40-55, off U.S. 19, Nov'91 - Richard Paul Sargent

okay, I emailed the contact person on NamUs. I hope that is how you guys do this. I will check back to see if he got it. Do you also email LE that has this cold case?

I usually just email the Namus contact. If I don't get a response, I usually always do, then I email the others. The Namus contacts are usually really good. Sometimes they will connect with LE, but I've only had that happen twice.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Here´s some possibilities:

-David Allen Dunaway http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1548dmtx.html
Missing since May 10, 1981 from Houston, Harris County, Texas
Classification: Endangered Missing
Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: June 3, 1951
Age at Time of Disappearance: 29 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'0"; 150 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White/Native male. Brown hair; hazel eyes. Wears prescription glasses.
Marks, Scars: Metal plate in jaw, broken nose, and possible broken ribs from old car wreck. No known tattoos.
Dentals: Very bad teeth. Metal dental plates.
AKA: Pud
Medical: Drug addiction.
Fingerprints: May be available from prior arrest in Humble, Texas.

Had broken jaw and ribs like the UID. Also bad teeth.

-Mark David Zeichner http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1032dmny.html
Missing since June 15, 1984 from New York City, New York.
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: December 23, 1949
Age at Time of Disappearance: 34 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'0"; 180 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; brown eyes. He has a history of mental illness.

- David Milton Black http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/585dmca.html
Missing since August 26, 1991 from Sunnyvale, Santa Clara County, California.

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: November 19, 1951
Age at Time of Disappearance: 39 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'0; 150 lbs
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Blond hair; green eyes.
Marks, Scars: Scar on his abdomen.

- Lindsay Grant McDougall http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/30dmca.html
Missing since September 9, 1984 from Santa Rosa, Sonoma County, California.

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: October 11, 1951
Age at Time of Disappearance: 32 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'1; 150 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Black hair; brown eyes.

Reactions: mrz
AL some good finds, but I can tell you Dunaway had a metal plate in his jaw and had metal dentals, our UID male did not have either. But if you look at the teeth, they are more like what I saw in photos of his skull. His teeth were very crooked and he had some missing. But very crooked teeth, upper and lower. So it is not him but I wanted to point out the teeth. Zeichner, his teeth are too straight on the bottom. Mr. Black has blond hair, and we are looking for brown to dark brown. Also the UID male was only bones, so they think early in the yr to maybe 4 IIRC. We do have DNA on him now, so it will cycle though and hopefully we will get a hit. But sometimes they need to check manually depending what kind of DNA was submitted for the missing person. Thank you for looking, these were good finds.

New recons made by FaceLogic

Thank you for posting. I am looking to see if we can get a image of his teeth to show as well. His teeth were really crooked and distinctive. As soon as I do I will post it.

If this was in fact James Albert Boyd's body, it would be interesting to note his son lives 13.9 miles from where this body was found. Boyd's son had testified that he had seen a will written by his father leaving all possessions to him despite having several other siblings. No will of this nature was found or admitted into evidence. His mother, James Albert Boyd's twice divorced ex-wife, filed and gained control of all of Boyd's assets within weeks of Boyd missing. After White's conviction, a death certificate was issued to release all of Boyd's assets to her. She lives very close to where this body was discovered as well. There is a lot odd about this case, and the people involved.

Dec 7 2019
Hernando Sheriff hopes new composite image could help solve 1991 cold case
Update – Help Identify this Unidentified Male Found Deceased in 1991

On 11-03-1991, human skeletal remains were recovered from the area of Osowaw Boulevard, about a mile west of U.S. 19 in western Hernando County.

The remains were examined forensically and are believed to be that of a white male subject, possibly between the ages of 45-55 years old. A recreation of the t-shirt worn by the victim appears below.

The Hernando County Sheriff's Office recently had a facial reconstruction performed by FaceLogics on the unidentified person in this case.

The colorized photo of the man is the FaceLogics artist's rendition of the person in this investigation.

A previous black and white artist's rendering completed by the University of South Florida is also included for review.

Anyone with information regarding a possible ID of this individual is urged to contact Cold Case Detective G. Loydgren at (352) 754-6830, (352) 797-3714, or email unsolved@hernandosheriff.org.

If you wish to remain anonymous or to be eligible for a reward, call 1-866-990-8477 or submit a web tip at http://hernandocountycrimestoppers.com/.

Thank you for posting. I am looking to see if we can get a image of his teeth to show as well. His teeth were really crooked and distinctive. As soon as I do I will post it.

@Skully did you ever get a response on this? There are no ruleouts listed in Namus. Though his case was updated a couple of months ago - I can't see what changed.

Physical Description​

Estimated Age: 45-55 years old
Race: White
Sex: Male
Height: 5'7" to 5'8"
Weight: Unknown. Likely of thin build.
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Light brown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Healed fracture of maxilla; healing fracture of left 6th rib; healing or healed fractures of 3 thoracic vertebrae. He appeared to have a small face with sunken cheeks.

Identifiers​

Dentals: Available. Overlapping incisors, evidence of a root canal, unfilled caries; poor quality fills in mandibular molars (possibly performed in a prison).
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Available.

Clothing & Personal Items​

Clothing: Near the remains, a tee shirt with blue letters reading "My Fishing Excuses" including "water too deep; water too shallow", gray or faded black cutoff shorts.
Jewelry: None.
Additional Personal Items: Unknown.

Circumstances of Discovery
The decedent was located by a hunter looking for deer tracks, in a patch of woods in the area of Osowaw Boulevard, about a mile west of U.S. Highway 19, about 15 yards north of the roadway.

The skull, ribs and vertebrae were scattered over a 60-foot area.

Last edited:
Donya Currie, "Hunter finds bones in woods," Tampa Bay Times [St. Petersburg, FL], 5 November 1991, C6.
_Hunter_finds_bones_in_woods_.jpg
The skull and other bones, found scattered across a 60-foot-square area in the woods next to Osowaw Road in southern Spring Hill, are thought to be that of a white man, about 5-feet-8-inches tall with a slim build, Hernando County Sheriff's Sgt. Frank Bierwiler said.

The man, who died less than a year ago, was wearing a white T-shirt and black cut-off shorts, Bierwiler said. The shirt was imprinted with blue letters that read, "Excuses For Why You Don't Catch Fish," and listed excuses such as "Water Too Deep" and "Water Too Shallow," Bierwiler said.

Sheriff's investigators and Dr. John Sass, a pathologist at Brooksville Regional Hospital, worked all day Monday to reassemble the skeleton in an effort to identify the individual. Bierwiler said they think the man was in his late 20s to early 30s, had light brown hair and many fillings in his teeth.

Authorities do not know yet if the man was murdered, but Bierwiler said they found no signs of foul play such as weapons, bullet wounds or crushed bones that might indicate trauma.

Spring Hill resident Darryl Raulerson, 28, found the bones Sunday while looking for deer crossings, according to a Sheriff's Office report. He called the Sheriff's Office and took a deputy to the bones, about 30 feet from the north side of Osowaw Road, which intersects U.S. 19 about one mile north of the Hernando-Pasco County line.

Phil Willon, "Deer hunter finds human bones," Tampa Tribune, 5 November 1991, P-3.
_Deer_hunter_finds_human_bones_.jpg

Identified!
Richard Paul Sargent
1684531193951.png
"Over three decades ago, a local hunter discovered the skeletal remains of an unidentified male in the area of Osowaw Boulevard, between Shoal Line Boulevard and Commercial Way. These remains were not the result of a homicide, nor were they those of a reported missing person from any jurisdiction.

Information was provided to the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs), a national clearinghouse and resource center for missing, unidentified, and unclaimed person cases throughout the United States. The NamUs record was UP6042.

The remains, which were discovered in Novemer 1991, were sent to several labs in an effort to obtain a DNA profile necessary for identification. With the assistance and cooperation of the District 5 Medical Examiner's Office, and The University of South Florida Forensic Anthropology Department; the remains were sent to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE), DNA Labs International, and University of North Texas's (UNT) respective laboratories. In spite of the efforts, no identification was made.

In February 2022, skeletal remains were sent for further genetic DNA testing to Othram. Othram scientists developed a DNA extract and used Forensic-Grade Genome Sequencing® to develop a comprehensive DNA profile. Othram's in-house genetic genealogy team used the profile to develop investigative leads that were returned investigators.

With these leads, investigators were able to confirm that the unidentified remains belonged to Richard Paul Sargent, born July 12, 1946. Detective G. Loydgren proceeded to locate Sargent's family members in Massachusetts. In July 2022, Detective Loydgren made contact with Richard Paul Sargent's family with the help of the Massachusetts State Police and the Yarmouth Police Department in Massachusetts.

Sargent was a Vietnam veteran who served our country honorably; therefore, The American Red Cross arranged to have Sargent's remains shipped to a local funeral home in Massachusetts.

Hernando County Sheriff Al Nienhuis said although we have no evidence that foul play was involved in this particular death, this new information shows that law enforcement never forgets.

"We never stop working behind the scenes to identify remains and, if a crime can be proven, hold criminals accountable. We know that it is important to give family members answers whenever possible, even if their relative went missing decades ago," the Sheriff said. "Although many of these cold cases hit temporary dead ends throughout the years, it is very gratifying when they finally get resolved. I am blessed to work with some very passionate, professional, and dedicated individuals who are patiently working behind the scenes to get answers on dozens of similar cases."

Last edited:
Wonderful that he has his name and is going back to his family. Interesting how so many FL UIDs are from somewhere else.

Maybe when people want to disappear they want to be somewhere that brings them joy at the end. The beach and summer weather can really soothe one’s soul and bring peace.

Wonderful that he has his name and is going back to his family. Interesting how so many FL UIDs are from somewhere else.

Maybe when people want to disappear they want to be somewhere that brings them joy at the end. The beach and summer weather can really soothe one’s soul and bring peace.
other, more experienced members are free to put holes in this theory, but: Florida is basically a "port" state, that provides a lot of job opportunities around its entire parameter that don't require a degree. Several members of my extended family wound up in Florida during the '80s for exactly that reason, despite coming from all over the eastern half of the USA.

I hope he's found his peace.

Interesting that he was in his mid forties...quite a bit older than was estimated. It really touched me when I read that the American Red Cross would be taking care of getting him home. He was a Vietnam veteran. So many of those who served in that conflict came back as completely different people and had undiagnosed and untreated PTSD. I sincerely hope Mr. Sargent wasn't in that category but I suspect he may have been. I would just like to officially say: thank you for your service Mr. Sargent. To me you are a hero sir.

The remains, which were discovered on 11-03-1991, were sent to several labs in an effort to obtain a Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) profile necessary for identification. With the assistance and cooperation of the District 5 Medical Examiner’s Office, and The University of South Florida Forensic Anthropology Department; the remains were sent to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE), DNA Labs
International, and University of North Texas’s (UNT) respective laboratories.

A mitochondrial (MT) DNA profile only was developed from the skeletal remains. MT DNA profiles are not eligible to be entered into the CODIS database; therefore, no associations were found.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle
Back