Unidentified and Unclaimed Forum Suggestions & Guidelines **REQUIRED READING**

SoSueMe

Former Member
Reaction score
Unidentified and Unclaimed Forum Suggestions & Guidelines​

In collaboration with NCMEC, LE and Medical Examiners, Websleuths has assembled some suggestions, recommendations and guidelines for our members of the UID area.

When contacting law enforcement, medical examiners, NAMUS, NCMEC, DOE NETWORK, reporters or other officials, please keep in mind that you do so as an individual and not a representative of Websleuths.com, LLC. You are individual contributors on an Internet Crime/Missing Persons/ Unidentified and Unclaimed Persons message board. If asked, you may certainly mention our name and the fact that you are a member; however, please do not give the impression you are representing Websleuths.com, unless you have explicit authorization from the owners.

Please be respectful of the official(s) you are contacting. Be polite and mindful of their busy schedules. As an individual and a member of Websleuths, we all have an obligation to maintain a healthy and cordial relationship with law enforcement, medical examiners, NAMUS, et al.

The folks you are contacting are probably more anxious than you to resolve a case. Please do not contact these officials unreasonably. If you have sent an inquiry or submitted information, please allow a minimum of 30 days for a response before you reconnect with these officials. In most instances an acknowledgement or reply may take at least 30 days. Keep in mind, these are investigations and there are many factors to consider and investigate before a case can be resolved.

Please be mindful that law enforcement and officials are under no obligation to let us know whether your information was helpful and/or helped to resolve a case. Certainly, we are always pleased and extremely proud when we are told such news, but we certainly don’t wish to jeopardize or compromise a case or be a pest to officials.

When contacting more than one entity, be it law enforcement, NAMUS, the medical examiner, the detectives, etc., please be sure to give each one the name and contact information of all other entities you have contacted. We have been informed that the entities are not always aware of the information coming in to the other, so many times, efforts are duplicated. Duplicated efforts and tests are costly and unnecessary.

Contacting family members directly would be considered “inserting oneself into a case” and is a violation of our Rules, Guidelines & Best Practices. It’s just not a good idea and best left to the officials. There are many reasons for this rule, but one of the most important of which is, that we don’t know if a family member might be considered a person of interest. Please leave this decision to the officials working the case, or at the very least, ask permission to contact family members.

Please know, the Unidentified and Unclaimed forums of Websleuths is one our most successful and we’re very proud of our members and their hard work in this area.

Thank you.

Unidentified and Unclaimed Forum Suggestions & Guidelines

In collaboration with NCMEC, LE and Medical Examiners, Websleuths has assembled some suggestions, recommendations and guidelines for our members of the UID area.

When contacting law enforcement, medical examiners, NAMUS, NCMEC, DOE NETWORK, reporters or other officials, please keep in mind that you do so as an individual and not a representative of Websleuths.com, LLC. You are individual contributors on an Internet Crime/Missing Persons/ Unidentified and Unclaimed Persons message board. If asked, you may certainly mention our name and the fact that you are a member; however, please do not give the impression you are representing Websleuths.com, unless you have explicit authorization from the owners.

Please be respectful of the official(s) you are contacting. Be polite and mindful of their busy schedules. As an individual and a member of Websleuths, we all have an obligation to maintain a healthy and cordial relationship with law enforcement, medical examiners, NAMUS, et al.

The folks you are contacting are probably more anxious than you to resolve a case. Please do not contact these officials unreasonably. If you have sent an inquiry or submitted information, please allow a minimum of 30 days for a response before you reconnect with these officials. In most instances an acknowledgement or reply may take at least 30 days. Keep in mind, these are investigations and there are many factors to consider and investigate before a case can be resolved.

Please be mindful that law enforcement and officials are under no obligation to let us know whether your information was helpful and/or helped to resolve a case. Certainly, we are always pleased and extremely proud when we are told such news, but we certainly don’t wish to jeopardize or compromise a case or be a pest to officials.

When contacting more than one entity, be it law enforcement, NAMUS, the medical examiner, the detectives, etc., please be sure to give each one the name and contact information of all other entities you have contacted. We have been informed that the entities are not always aware of the information coming in to the other, so many times, efforts are duplicated. Duplicated efforts and tests are costly and unnecessary.

Contacting family members directly would be considered “inserting oneself into a case” and is a violation of our Rules, Guidelines & Best Practices. It’s just not a good idea and best left to the officials. There are many reasons for this rule, but one of the most important of which is, that we don’t know if a family member might be considered a person of interest. Please leave this decision to the officials working the case, or at the very least, ask permission to contact family members.

Please know, the Unidentified and Unclaimed forums of Websleuths is one our most successful and we’re very proud of our members and their hard work in this area.

Thank you.
Hi, I’m brand new here also am a minor but I think I’ve I identified two bodies and want to know what website should I use to look up contact info (I’ve already used Doe Network)

Hi, I’m brand new here also am a minor but I think I’ve I identified two bodies and want to know what website should I use to look up contact info (I’ve already used Doe Network)
Search the cases on namUS.gov

ok, ive done that so do i know contact the departments?
I know this message is old, but wanted to reply in case others have the same question. It is up to you to decide whether you believe your match is strong enough to warrant investigation by the responsible agencies. Time and resources are spent to investigate these reports, so you should be as confident as possible that it's worth investigators' effort to research your match.

Many people post their potential matches on the thread for the missing person or the unidentified person. It's a great way to get others' opinions on whether it's a strong enough match to be reported. Often, other members see similarities or differences you might have overlooked. Physical similarity is important, but there are also factors like dates and locations that are important to compare before reporting. Members here are so smart and so helpful, they're a great resource! Good luck!

Quick question:

I have been lurking on Namus this year and noticed that there are a lot of UID persons found in Brooks County, TX. I think today they posted #62 UID since the beginning of the year found in Brooks County. There is an interior Border Check Point (80 miles from the border) that they are trying to bypass and the Texas heat claims them.

The question (I thought I saw a thread for this or similar): The list of those that are found near border crossings/high immigration routes that are found? The previous form may have been missing people from Mexico and Central America..

TIA

just seen this on NAMUS too, lots are skeletonised, so been there a while

ended up on google earth looking at the area and areas around border.

just seen this on NAMUS too, lots are skeletonised, so been there a while

ended up on google earth looking at the area and areas around border.

I that there is a Facebook group in Latin America that posts these individuals to help them be reunited. The most recent El Salvador person's family has been located and notified. Looks like it just becomes a case of multiple nations and confirmations may take time.

Quick question:

I have been lurking on Namus this year and noticed that there are a lot of UID persons found in Brooks County, TX. I think today they posted #62 UID since the beginning of the year found in Brooks County. There is an interior Border Check Point (80 miles from the border) that they are trying to bypass and the Texas heat claims them.

The question (I thought I saw a thread for this or similar): The list of those that are found near border crossings/high immigration routes that are found? The previous form may have been missing people from Mexico and Central America..

TIA
Hi, Hope. You might find this thread helpful.

Mexico - Unidentified US-Mexico Border Project

I know this message is old, but wanted to reply in case others have the same question. It is up to you to decide whether you believe your match is strong enough to warrant investigation by the responsible agencies. Time and resources are spent to investigate these reports, so you should be as confident as possible that it's worth investigators' effort to research your match.

Many people post their potential matches on the thread for the missing person or the unidentified person. It's a great way to get others' opinions on whether it's a strong enough match to be reported. Often, other members see similarities or differences you might have overlooked. Physical similarity is important, but there are also factors like dates and locations that are important to compare before reporting. Members here are so smart and so helpful, they're a great resource! Good luck!
Could one not just report to crime stoppers anonymously with all information except for your name, your phone number, your address and any information that identifies yourself? Crime stoppers ads say they want the information not your name.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back