PA PA - Philadelphia, E River Dr, BlkFem 20-35, 804UFPA, tennis racket earring, afro, clothes, Jul'82

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just found this article about the retirement of the Philadelphia Chief Forensic Investigator.

http://articles.philly.com/2011-01-22/news/27043343_1_investigator-earring-police-officers

The article mentions a female of unspecified ethnicity about 22 years old found in a shallow pool of water near Kelly Drive in Philadelphia. There is no record that I can find of this UID in either DoeNet or NamUs.

Last week, as senior forensic investigator Gene Suplee cleaned out his desk in preparation for retirement, he came across a silver earring shaped like a tennis racket.

The earring belonged to a woman, believed to have been about 22, whose body was found in a shallow pool of water off Kelly Drive on a hot day in July 1982. Suplee, then a medical examiner's investigator, released information about her to the public, and her DNA and fingerprints were reviewed. But her name remains a mystery, and investigators have not determined how she died.

Suplee has always believed that the earring was distinctive enough that someone would come forward to identify her. But it has never happened.

Suplee kept meticulous records of the city's unidentified bodies, Hill said. The unnamed woman's silver earring found in 1982, for example, may well remain in the Medical Examiner's Office until someone comes forward to say whom it belonged to.

"You always knew you could call down there and say, "Y'all still have those dental records for this kid, those X-rays?" Hill said. "Gene would know exactly what you were talking about, and he'd be able to get it for you."

It might help to distribute a photograph of the earring if one wanted people to come forward and identify it.

Or maybe listing their unidentified people in a national database where people have a chance to see them. I can't find a thing anywhere about this woman except for the mention in this article.

I just contacted Steve Olsweski of the Philadelphia Medical Examiner's Office regarding the 1982 Jane Doe discussed in the Philly.com article. He says that he knows which case I am talking about, but he doesn't know any more details about this case than what is in the article.

He says that they are in the process of combing back chronologically through their archives to get their unresolved cold cases into NamUs, and they are currently working on cases from the late 90's. Eventually, they will get to this case.

I just contacted Steve Olsweski of the Philadelphia Medical Examiner's Office regarding the 1982 Jane Doe discussed in the Philly.com article. He says that he knows which case I am talking about, but he doesn't know any more details about this case than what is in the article.

He says that they are in the process of combing back chronologically through their archives to get their unresolved cold cases into NamUs, and they are currently working on cases from the late 90's. Eventually, they will get to this case.

I once commented on another thread how pitiful the scant attention the Philadelphia PD pays to the missing from their city is. maybe they are getting up to speed and uploading names into searchable databases.

I checked and still nothing in Namus. It would help to know a racial or ethnic classification.

150_PhillyF_82-3331.jpg
165_PhillyF_82-3331_earring.JPG

from the above link posted by CCJD

not in Namus yet.

unfortunately even with the new info, possible matches are slim pickings.

And here are the rest of her stats:

Estimated Age: 20-35
Estimated Year of Birth: 1947-1962
Race: Black
Height: 5' to 5'4
Weight: 110-120 lbs
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Brown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: None
Dentals: Unknown
Fingerprints: Available
DNA: Available

Clothing: Black, short-sleeved pullover shirt with gray bands about the shoulder & neck; blue jeans with Calvin Klein label on the back right pocket; blue sneakers with white soles, EBS on the sides.
Jewelry: One stud-type earring in the shape of a tennis racket

Vera Powers missing from Tennessee May 26, 1982 seems to fit all the stats: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/25dftn.html

Shirley hyman went missing from Phillie almost a year earlier. Very little information about her but she's within age range and maybe a facial resemblance?
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2515dfpa.html

Attachments

• SHyman PA 1981.jpg
    SHyman PA 1981.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 804ufpa 1982.jpg
    804ufpa 1982.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 36
I notice Doenet says DNA is available and Namus says not.

I know where that came from. I'll have to clarify with Steve Olszewski at Philly MEO.

http://articles.philly.com/2011-01-22/news/27043343_1_investigator-earring-police-officers
Suplee, then a medical examiner's investigator, released information about her to the public, and her DNA and fingerprints were reviewed. But her name remains a mystery, and investigators have not determined how she died.

Shirley hyman went missing from Phillie almost a year earlier. Very little information about her but she's within age range and maybe a facial resemblance?
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2515dfpa.html
I agree with you carbuff on a resemblance and according to Google maps the distance between Shirley's last sighting and the location of this UID is only about 5 miles...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back