UK's Daily Mail now most-visited newspaper website

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
It's certainly been responsible for an explosion in WS threads.

How the Daily Mail stormed the US (BBC)
The Daily Mail has overtaken the New York Times to become the world's most visited newspaper website, according to online tracking service Comscore. The biggest increase in readers has been in the US - so how did this very British institution do it?

There is something compellingly simple about MailOnline. No fancy site navigation, picture carousels or slideshows - just a front page with stories and pictures. Thousands of them.

The New York Times claims it is still the world's most popular newspaper website, because the Mail figures include visits to sister sites.

But let that not detract from the British newspaper's achievement in going from nowhere to 45.3 million unique visitors a month in just five years. What is its secret?
---
more, with the BBC attempting to decipher that secret, at link above

thanks to badhorsie for the tip

IMO, the Daily Mail does a better job covering US news than Fox, CNN or any of the other nationwide news agencies. Their news is current and not the same story sitting there for days or weeks.

I discovered DM after becoming frustrated with CNN's growing lack of speed covering the news. While I don't like its politics - and, occasionally, its overabundance of tabloidisms - there's plenty there for everyone.

The Daily "Wail" (as I've heard a few Brits call it, and I loved it so I stole it shamelessly :D ) is such a guilty pleasure for me. So tabloid-y, and over the top quite often, but I love their pics, and they frequently have great stories that I don't see elsewhere.

I'm fairly partial to the Guardian for politics, opinion, and serious matters, but I do check the Mail almost daily!

Yes, on my bookmarks I leave the "Grauniad" a couple entries above DM, but alas, probably visit the latter more per diem.

I discovered DM after becoming frustrated with CNN's growing lack of speed covering the news. While I don't like its politics - and, occasionally, its overabundance of tabloidisms - there's plenty there for everyone.

Wfgodot - I have to thank you for hooking me on this website. I never knew it existed until you started posting their links. Thanks so much!

And I have to agree - their coverage is much more extensive than any other site I've found.

Wfgodot - I have to thank you for hooking me on this website. I never knew it existed until you started posting their links. Thanks so much!

And I have to agree - their coverage is much more extensive than any other site I've found.
You're welcome! I really do love a "never a dull moment" site like DM's.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74
Back