Ashton to investigate OSCO about missed Casey Anthony evidence

Its encumbent on Jeff Ashton to investigate what happened here. He's the head man now. This was no minor oversight. This was a clear case of one or more computer forensic analysts being out of their depth and the absence of any protocall employed by Orange County Sheriff's department to catch any incompetence. And lets be honest it wasn't the first time. Remember the 84 searches which turned out to be one. That incident alone imo should have prompted Orange County SD to look at their computer forensic resources and practices.

Back in the day people were very reluctant to criticize the OCSD investigation but it wasnt a perfect investigation. Roy Kronk's first three phone calls are testimony to that. OCSD and the DA's office should welcome this investigation, take their medicine, then assure the public lessons have been learned and outline what steps they have taken to ensure this doesn't happen again.

I do agree we were very happy with OCSD except the Kronk part that was horrible and also why they did not search the woods right away if they had Caylee would have been found so much sooner.Who would have thought the were so incompetent with the computer!That was a big part of this case and should have had a top man or men on it. I still think it would not have helped get justice for Caylee ,not with that jury.But It will be investigated and fixed so it can not happen again which helps future cases and needs to be addressed.

I wonder if he would have ran for the job if Caylee had gotten Justice.He still would have been able to write a book ,do the movie and retire with the money. I suspect he might not have had they convicted FCA.He knew he and his team worked very hard,but the system failed and it failed big time.To a defense team that seemed more like watching the 3 stooges then to be watching Lawyers in a Court room IMO.To someone who loves what they do,put their heart into fighting for justice,then to hear not guilty,not even of the lesser charges except lying must have floored him it sure floored us.So maybe that was part of Caylees purpose ,why she was here for such a brief speck of time.Mr.Ashton is right where he needs to be and I deeply believe it is because of FCA's verdict.He realized changes need to be made and he is the man to do it. All JMO.

I do agree we were very happy with OCSD except the Kronk part that was horrible and also why they did not search the woods right away if they had Caylee would have been found so much sooner.Who would have thought the were so incompetent with the computer!That was a big part of this case and should have had a top man or men on it. I still think it would not have helped get justice for Caylee ,not with that jury.But It will be investigated and fixed so it can not happen again which helps future cases and needs to be addressed.

Agreed. And I know hindsight makes us all wiser. I'm still stunned by the verdict and despite their post verdict hubris I'm sure Baez and Mason were equally stunned. But I do believe knowing what we know now the rose tinted glasses need to come off where the investigation was concerned. Otherwise no lessons will be learned. Was that lap top ever properly forensically examined? :waitasec:

Here is another aspect to the puter age. The technology was changing so fast companies including the courts couldnt get a trained developer/analyst before the programs changed. Every 18 months the technology was changing so fast the colleges couldnt keep up. By the time they graduated a 4 year analyst the programs changed 4 or more times. This made it hard to get good people that knew the system and how to re coup data. it is still an issue.

I hear ya but that doesnt seem to be what happened here. Long long before trial we knew Casey Anthony was on the computer than morning at 7.56am chatting on her AIM account to Witeplayboi. We also knew she uploaded a pic of Fusian to her photobucket account and that she was looking at shot girl outfits. So if the analyst was able to extract and read this data why did she not continue to look at the whole 24 hour period. This was the last day Caylee was seen alive. It was pivotal to the Prosecution's theory that Caylee was murdered on June 16th. For a computer forensic analyst to claim she was not asked to search for "fool-proof suffocation" and that this somehow explains this enormous gaff.........beggars belief. And again I ask what about the lap top that she was clearly using during the 31 days. Seems to me that the focus was totally on the chloroform searches.......that ultimately they also got wrong and they could never link Casey Anthony to either making or purchasing chloroform. :what:

This isn't nice so please scroll on by if you don't like it as it's my opinion only.
Another waste of Florida tax funds and time on FCA. It wouldn't have mattered in the first place if it had been found because Ashton was way to focused on the chloroform stuff when he should have used the tech timeline stuff instead.

I do agree that the prosecution was way too focused on the chloroform and had no real tech timeline backing up the assertions that CA was responsible. I disagree that it would not have mattered.

I believe had the pros had the tech timeline info, their case would have focused more on that evidence, which would have been MUCH easier for the jury to follow IMO than the sniff tests etc that ate up way too much of the case and which I feel the jury saw as "junk" science.

It is my belief that the pros would have presented a much different case had they had the tech info going in. Their case would have been built very differently IMO.

I hear ya but that doesnt seem to be what happened here. Long long before trial we knew Casey Anthony was on the computer than morning at 7.56am chatting on her AIM account to Witeplayboi. We also knew she uploaded a pic of Fusian to her photobucket account and that she was looking at shot girl outfits. So if the analyst was able to extract and read this data why did she not continue to look at the whole 24 hour period. This was the last day Caylee was seen alive. It was pivotal to the Prosecution's theory that Caylee was murdered on June 16th. For a computer forensic analyst to claim she was not asked to search for "fool-proof suffocation" and that this somehow explains this enormous gaff.........beggars belief. And again I ask what about the lap top that she was clearly using during the 31 days. Seems to me that the focus was totally on the chloroform searches.......that ultimately they also got wrong and they could never link Casey Anthony to either making or purchasing chloroform. :what:

I question whether or not it worked the other way around - there wasn't anything "signifigant" according to the computer experts so they went after what other circumstantial evidence they had. The values found in the trunk of the car for chloroform were overwhelming - so I understand the SA chasing that one when they didn't know about other computer searches.

No Pattimarie. Some of the members following the Arias case in AZ were curious to read about the sleuthing AZ & JWG did regarding the computer forensics. :)

No Pattimarie. Some of the members following the Arias case in AZ were curious to read about the sleuthing AZ & JWG did regarding the computer forensics. :)

We had almost 2,000 viewers one day, and crashed! :scared:

I think the prosecution should have looked into it themselves at the time on their own. They should have asked for the full history of that day. And I also still think they did a poor job of presenting the computer forensics they had. It was very confused.

We had almost 2,000 viewers one day, and crashed! :scared:

Check this out at WS's What's Going On:

"Most users ever online was 8,149, 11-26-2012 at 10:02 AM."

Now, that's a LOT of users online! And I can't for the life of me remember what happened on 11/26/2012 ... Just last November, and I can't remember. And when I do find out, I'm probably going to feel pretty bad about forgetting.

Check this out at WS's What's Going On:

"Most users ever online was 8,149, 11-26-2012 at 10:02 AM."

Now, that's a LOT of users online! And I can't for the life of me remember what happened on 11/26/2012 ... Just last November, and I can't remember. And when I do find out, I'm probably going to feel pretty bad about forgetting.

It was the beginning of what this thread is about - when AZLawyer and JWG found the computer search for foolproof suffocation

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191801"]Firefox Search History Download - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8581757&postcount=710"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Current News **NO DISCUSSION HERE PLEASE**[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8581784&postcount=711"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Current News **NO DISCUSSION HERE PLEASE**[/ame]

I think the prosecution should have looked into it themselves at the time on their own. They should have asked for the full history of that day. And I also still think they did a poor job of presenting the computer forensics they had. It was very confused.

Hi :seeya:

The Prosecutors did request the Investigative agency, LE computer forensic department, to conduct a search of the internet history for the computer.

The Prosecutors did specifically ask for the internet history for June 16, 2008

From what I know, Prosecutors do not have the investigative forensic tools to conduct investigations or searches. That is what Law Enforcement and/or other investigative experts and agencies were created for and relied on to do.

LE made a statement that there was an oversight, that they did indeed miss the information.

LE computer forensics searched the Internet Explorer browser only. They failed to conduct a search of Mozilla Firefox which was the browser OCA began using in March 2008.

Perhaps the Prosecutors could have made it "simpler" for the jurors to understand..Linda Drane Burdick did ask her boss at the time, Lawson Lamar, if they could use visual aids (like Baez used) but her request was denied by Lamar.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Co...nce/-/1637132/17495808/-/9rrlr7z/-/index.html

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/casey-anthony-foolproof-suffocation/nTBkx/

Hi :seeya:

The Prosecutors did request the Investigative agency, LE computer forensic department, to conduct a search of the internet history for the computer.

The Prosecutors did specifically ask for the internet history for June 16, 2008

From what I know, Prosecutors do not have the investigative forensic tools to conduct investigations or searches. That is what Law Enforcement and/or other investigative experts and agencies were created for and relied on to do.

LE made a statement that there was an oversight, that they did indeed miss the information.

LE computer forensics searched the Internet Explorer browser only. They failed to conduct a search of Mozilla Firefox which was the browser OCA began using in March 2008.

Perhaps the Prosecutors could have made it "simpler" for the jurors to understand..Linda Drane Burdick did ask her boss at the time, Lawson Lamar, if they could use visual aids (like Baez used) but her request was denied by Lamar.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Co...nce/-/1637132/17495808/-/9rrlr7z/-/index.html

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/casey-anthony-foolproof-suffocation/nTBkx/

When they only got IE history, they should have asked where's Firefox or any other browser. The article also says they didn't even ask until 2 months before trial. Computer history would seem one of the first places to look to establish a timeline. Also, Osbourne's excuse is lame, that they didn't ask her for "suffocation." What a copout. She didn't give any Firefox history at all. She needs to provide it all and let the prosecutor read it to find what's relevant.

I believe the case they did provide the jury was enough to convict, but it would have been much easier with this.

When they only got IE history, they should have asked where's Firefox or any other browser. The article also says they didn't even ask until 2 months before trial. Computer history would seem one of the first places to look to establish a timeline. Also, Osbourne's excuse is lame, that they didn't ask her for "suffocation." What a copout. She didn't give any Firefox history at all. She needs to provide it all and let the prosecutor read it to find what's relevant.

I believe the case they did provide the jury was enough to convict, but it would have been much easier with this.

I believe it was reported that Osborne was not qualified for her job.......which doesn't surprise me. In the deep south you have many long timers in government jobs that have little or no education.

Thank you for that information. I knew I'd feel bad, lol. I kept trying to remember what (new) case was going on then. Poor little Caylee.

How did we manage that many online without crashing?

I'm still so uneasy about the hard drive and the browser history. I think there's still a wealth of information maybe even keys to the truth on there. I'd be willing to add money to a collection to get the hard drive thoroughly analyzed by an expert. I think it was posted in the past that getting it more analyzed would cost a few thousand dollars. I feel strongly there is something there.

It didn't help the prosecutor's job when George changed and was getting irritated by J.B. while on the stand. He stated that he wanted to slap George because of way he acted on stand and such. Then there is Cindy, who perjured herself on the stand, to protect her daughter. Then there is the brother, who changed, when on stand, from what he talked about to Ashton. Then saying that something was looked up hundreds of times when wasn't. Then of course, was Ashton, giggling. All this made for J.B.'s lies to sail right thru .Casey was the important one in this trial, Caylee was simply forgotten.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zen1974
Back