Sorting Fact from Fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEADFAST

Reaction score
This thread was suggested by a poster, and I think it's a great idea for those of us who like to see links to information, discuss the credibility of those links, figure out what information is actually known, and what information turns out to have been exagerrated, sensationalized or just plain made up in some journalist's mind.

Some examples:

To what extent, if any, did the McCann's do any physical searching for Madeleine?

What are the discrepancies between the stories given by the tapas group?

What is the forensic evidence and how valuable is it in determining information about Madeleine's disappearance.

Anyway, that kind of thing. Is it possible to require links to information, or no?

Anybody want to start?

The only searching done by the McCanns that we absolutely know of was on the night of May 3-4.

http://crimeblog.us/?p=399

They apparently searched until nearly dawn- I've seen at least one recent story where a family member claimed the police quit at 4:30 and left them to carry on alone. But I've read so many news articles over the past week I honestly can't remember where I saw it or who said it.

Criticism of the police response came early from family and friends.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20070909/tuk-uk-britain-girl-chronology-fa6b408_1.html

The only searching done by the McCanns that we absolutely know of was on the night of May 3-4.

http://crimeblog.us/?p=399

They apparently searched until nearly dawn- I've seen at least one recent story where a family member claimed the police quit at 4:30 and left them to carry on alone. I have read so many news articles over the past week I honestly can't remember where I saw it or who said it.

Criticism of the police response came early from family and friends.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20070909/tuk-uk-britain-girl-chronology-fa6b408_1.html

Thanks for that link, Cali. I know I read somewhere that they often went out to informally look on their own, but I can't find the link so far, so I'll let that go for now and not violate the spirit of the thread!:innocent: But what in the world were they doing while volunteers and police were doing the official searches? I've gone way back on WS threads to try to find an article from the first couple of days that mentioned what the parents were doing.

If you can find a link to an article that claims they searched for her on their own, I'd love to read it.

Gerry McCann says:

GM: We can’t really comment about… it’s well-known that we were dining at the Tapas bar 50 yards away and we can’t comment too much in terms of our patterns and our routines and the fact of that’s subject to the investigation, but …
The Tapas bar was about twice that distance.

I'm not good with distances and measurements, so I don't use exact measurement units. I say "not far" or "near by," because I just don't have a good eye for that. Gerry says "50 yards" and this was repeated in various reports as "40 yards," which definitely gave a different impression than the actual photograph showed.

Gerry McCann says:

GM: We can’t really comment about… it’s well-known that we were dining at the Tapas bar 50 yards away and we can’t comment too much in terms of our patterns and our routines and the fact of that’s subject to the investigation, but …
Gerry actually made this comment during the 100-day interview when asked if he and Kate had been dining all week and leaving the children alone. As usual, gave himself a pass from answering a tough question.

Here's the article from Kate's friends in which they say both Gerry and Kate went "into a cocoon" for the first two days:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...70&ico=Homepage&icl=TabModule&icc=picbox&ct=5

Feel free to interpret cocoon as you wish, but it does not seem to imply active searching.

For whatever it's worth, I don't know about a cocoon, but Kate and Gerry weren't as hunkered down as their friends claim. They made a lot of cellphone calls back to the UK. They were attending press conferences. And remember, one of our posters had some friends visiting Praia da Luz the same time the McCanns were there, ran into the parents and twins in a restaurant the next day and they (the McCanns) didn't say a word about Madeleine being missing.

http://www.functionpix.com/index.php/article/Police_Arrest_Portugal_Child_Abductor/1376/

Here's the article from Kate's friends in which they say both Gerry and Kate went "into a cocoon" for the first two days:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...70&ico=Homepage&icl=TabModule&icc=picbox&ct=5

Feel free to interpret cocoon as you wish, but it does not seem to imply active searching.

I agree. Not a great time to go into a "cocoon."

Here's a link from May 5th:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/05/05/nmadel05.xml&page=2

Jon Corner, a close friend of Mrs McCann and godparent of the twins, said she telephoned him in the middle of the night distraught.
He said: "She just blurted out that Madeleine had been abducted. She told me, 'They have broken the shutter on the window and taken my little girl.'
"They had left the apartment locked while they were having their meal, but when they went back the last time they saw the damage.
"First they saw one of the window shutters had been forced, and then they saw the door was open and the bed was empty - and Madeleine was gone.

Didn't it turn out that the window shutter was opened from the inside and that the apartment had not been left locked?

For whatever it's worth, I don't know about a cocoon, but Kate and Gerry weren't as hunkered down as their friends claim. They made a lot of cellphone calls back to the UK. They were attending press conferences. And remember, one of our posters had some friends visiting Praia da Luz the same time the McCanns were there, ran into the parents and twins in a restaurant the next day and they (the McCanns) didn't say a word about Madeleine being missing.

http://www.functionpix.com/index.php/article/Police_Arrest_Portugal_Child_Abductor/1376/

The cell phone calls don't seem all that significant to me if you figure they'd naturally be calling friends and relatives. As far as attending press conferences, that seems normal, too -- except of course for the strange way that Gerry worded things: "We continue to hope for the best possible outcome from this for us and for Madeleine." "We have no further information regarding the investigation but appreciate the significant effort everyone is making on our behalf."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6629471.stm

As far as the information from the poster's friend, that would be very strange, if true.

I think this is a great idea for a thread and hopefully once we're sure that something we're hearing is from a reliable source, I'm not sure that anything here can be considered "fact" as of yet.

It is a fact that has not been disputed yet that when she claimed her daughter was taken, she left to get her husband. Did not scream out and did not wake the twins, in fact she left them.

A good scream would have alerted her companions even at 100 yards away

It is a fact that has not been disputed yet that when she claimed her daughter was taken, she left to get her husband. Did not scream out and did not wake the twins, in fact she left them.

A good scream would have alerted her companions even at 100 yards away

Rino.....I read here all the time, seldom post.

Rino, If the above is a FACT and I certainly believe what you are saying...........I simply can not believe that mama and daddy left Maddie and the twin's behind in a room , on the ground floor of their rented condo. THIS IS A FACT. This case is nuts, this family is nuts?.......they were told that there were baby sitters but refused? THAT IS A FACT.
A baby sitter would probably would have cost less then the bottle's of wine they bought that evening. I'm pretty SURE this is a FACT. Anyone who's bought wine in this area..fill me in!

SO my thought is, they left all their children unattended FOR A REASON!
Is there anyone here at WS that think's they didn't hire a nanny or babysitter because they couldn't afford one ????????????

Somehow or other, it was planned that little Maddie would be taken and it was planned in advance. I'm patiently waiting to see which one of the parent's will breakdown.

xxxxxxxxooooooo
mama
:blowkiss: :blowkiss:

I think this is a great idea for a thread and hopefully once we're sure that something we're hearing is from a reliable source, I'm not sure that anything here can be considered "fact" as of yet.

YES.
One of the biggest problems with the case is that I have no idea whats fantasy and whats reality.

I think that the only facts that we know for sure:

-Madeleine was last seen the day she disappeared, by someone other than the McCanns, at the kids dinner at 6:30 or so
-Madeleine and the twins were left unsupervised at about 7:30 or so
-Madeleine has disappeared.

The rest of it is all potentially false.

YES.
One of the biggest problems with the case is that I have no idea whats fantasy and whats reality.

-Madeleine was last seen the day she disappeared, by someone other than the McCanns, at the kids dinner at 6:30 or so

Are you sure the above highlighted statement is true? Do you have a link? I really think this was a premeditated crime, and I have not seen any facts that point that Madeleine was 100% positively seen on this day alive, (as in video footage, surveillance cameras and the such). This can not include any personal cameras where dates can easily be altered.

Surely there where surveillance cameras around the day care?

YES.

That's about it, isn't it --- ??? Other than that nothing confirmed.

That's about it, isn't it --- ??? Other than that nothing confirmed.
IMO, that's about it. Well, except for the fact that the McCann's were on vacation and rented a particular apartment.

YES.

The rest of it is all potentially false.[/quote]

Actually so it your first point.

There is no concrete evidence - unless I am wrong and you can show me the link - that anyone other than the McCanns saw her at 6:30

YES.

The rest of it is all potentially false.[/quote]

Actually so it your first point.

There is no concrete evidence - unless I am wrong and you can show me the link - that anyone other than the McCanns saw her at 6:30

Perhaps you are right.
i think we probably can "guess" that she was at the creche that day or else someone would have pointed her being missing from the creche out already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah