CA CA - Tracy Davenport, 6, San Rafael, 27 April 1973

Gina_M

Reaction score
Website
www.findmywayhome.org
Tracy Lynn Davenport
Missing since April 27, 1973 from San Rafael, Marin County, California.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: March 19, 1967
Age at Time of Disappearance: 6 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4' 6" - 137 cm; 60 lbs - 27 kg
Distinguishing Characteristics: Black female. Brown eyes; black hair.
Marks, Scars: Burn scars on lower hip and abdomen
Clothing: Blue and black flowered dress.
Dentals: Not available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Davenport was last seen on April 27, 1973, leaving the motel where she lived to go to school at San Rafael kindergarten. She never attended school that day and failed to return home.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
San Rafael Police Department
415-485-3000
Agency Case Number: C732985
NCMEC #: NCMC955543
NCIC Number: M-522685460
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
Source Information:
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
Ca DOJ

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1059dfca.html

http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_13033332

11 Aug 09

"It's as if the earth opened up and swallowed her."

So said San Rafael Deputy Police Chief Thomas Stephenson in 1973, a week after 6-year-old Tracy Lynn Davenport disappeared while walking to kindergarten.

Thirty-six years later, investigators decided to see if Stephenson was right after all.

On Monday, San Rafael police and firefighters burrowed into a forgotten crawlspace at a Canal area motel to confirm, or rule out, longstanding rumors that Tracy had been buried somewhere on the property.

In 1973, Tracy lived in Room 49 at the old Bermuda Palms motel - now Room 149 of the Motel 6 at 737 E. Francisco Blvd...

and

One loose end was the persistent rumor, based on no credible information, that Tracy was buried around
the pool area of the old Bermuda Palms. The Olympic-size pool had been built over by the time Tracy lived there, and the common belief was that the pool had been filled in, but police recently confirmed that the pool area had merely been covered by flooring.

That set up Monday's search operation, where San Rafael firefighters and police breached a crawlspace surrounding the pool in search of Tracy's remains. The air was deemed unsafe for trained cadaver dogs, but investigators were able to examine the space with a telescoping camera.

All they found were a few pieces of wood and a pair of safety glasses, said police spokeswoman....

more at link

It says that Tracy's parents were separated, and she lived with her mother and grandmother...was there a custody battle over her, by any chance? Was her dad active in her life, and able to see her as often as he wanted?

Phillip Garrido was in the area at the time. He raped a girl in 1972 who did not press charges. I wonder if he had anything to do with this?

Tracy Lynn Davenport
Missing since April 27, 1973 from San Rafael, Marin County, California.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: March 19, 1967
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 6 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4' 6" - 137 cm; 60 lbs - 27 kg
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Black female. Brown eyes; black hair.
  • Marks, Scars: Burn scars on lower hip and abdomen
  • Clothing: Blue and black flowered dress.
  • Dentals: Not available
  • DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Davenport was last seen on April 27, 1973, leaving the motel where she lived to go to school at San Rafael kindergarten. She never attended school that day and failed to return home.

Not that it matters after all this time but 4' 6" seems a little tall for a six year old.

Not that it matters after all this time but 4' 6" seems a little tall for a six year old.
I think that's an excellent point. I actually didn't take notice of that. She may have been older than six. Some people give the wrong information about their children's age. Strange as it seems, some people actually don't know the exact age of their own children.

Bumping for the little girl who should have been safe and sound at school that day.
http://www.nampn.org/cases/davenport_tracy.html
davenport_tracy.jpg
Tracy Lynn Davenport, 6
davenport_tracyap45.jpg
age-progressed to 45 years.
rbbm.
Tracy was last seen on April 27, 1973 when she left her home to go to kindergarten at Bahia Vista School. She never attended school that day and failed to return home. The next day her family reported her missing. She has not been seen or heard from since.

Dozens of police officers and Explorer Scouts repeatedly searched the Canal neighborhood with the help of a Coast Guard helicopter, but there was no sign of the girl. A witness reported that a black or dark green car was slowing following the girl on Canal Street the day she vanished.

Tracy's parents offered a $500 reward for information leading to her recovery, and the Independent Journal offered another $1,000, to no avail.

Tracy lived at the old Bermuda Palms motel, at 737 East Francisco Boulevard with her grandmother and other family members. Her parents were separated.

The case is still active, but there are no suspects or persons of interest, and police still don't know whether the matter is a missing-person case or a homicide.

:bump:

That's something I immediatly thought of.
Maybe she was older at the time of her disappearance.
Well, I'm 19 and I'm 4'11", but I am very petite

She looks very pretty in her picture... :floating:

Eh, we don't know how tall her parents are. I'm a shorty, but my husband is 6'1 and our son was 4'1 (just tall enough for the good rides at the state fair!) last summer right before his 5th birthday. I'd say he's 4'4 or 4'5 right now and he won't be 6 for another 3 months. Tall and scrawny like his dad. 4'6 is definitely at the top of the percentiles, but not out of the range of normal.

Tracy has burn scars on her lower hip and abdomen area

Where did they come from, an accident or abuse?

Tracy lived with her grandparents and other relatives at the time of her disappearance; her parents were separated

She lived with her grandparents at a motel. Her parents were separeted in there is no mention of them anywhere.

Is it possible she was killed by her grandparents and never even made it outside that day? Or maybe another relative? we don't even know whivh other relatives that lived there. What about her parents? imagine they lost custody for a reason, abuse perhaps and now one of them wanted her back. They could have easily grabbed her. Keep in mind also that she lived at a innercity motel, perhaps not the best place for a kid to grow up I can imagine alot of shady types living there too

Google Maps

Here the hotel she lived at, Seems like its the middle of San Francisco, shops, cars, people. Very crowded area.

A witness reported seeing a dark green or black car following Tracy as she walked on Canal Street, but investigators have never been able to prove she was abducted and they have no suspects or persons of interest in her case

So there are witnesses that saw her going to school. I wonder if anybody witnessed her presumed abduction. Considering the location there should be plenty of witnesses. This gives me the impression she volentarily got into a car. Either she know the driver or she was lured into it.

There are many questions here and many scenarios. Many stones to be turned but also tricky cause there are many things that couldve happened. I think she was abducted by somebody she knew. The police should go through this all over again. From family to neighbours to sex offenders in the area. Might be hard based on the location and transient people living there but that's the only chance.

Updated, July 19 2018 rbbm
San Rafael police check rumor in ’73 missing girl case – Marin Independent Journal
"In 1973, Tracy lived in Room 49 at the old Bermuda Palms motel – now Room 149 of the Motel 6 at 737 E. Francisco Blvd. – with her grandmother and other family members. Her parents were separated.

On April 27, at 11 a.m., Tracy left home to walk to her class at Bahia Vista School. She never arrived and did not come home that evening, and the next day her family reported her missing."
"Tracy’s parents offered a $500 reward for information leading to her recovery, and the Independent Journal offered another $1,000, but the offers bore no fruit. Nor did a potential clue – a witness report that a black or dark green car was slowing following the girl on Canal Street the day she vanished."

Updated, July 19 2018 rbbm
San Rafael police check rumor in ’73 missing girl case – Marin Independent Journal
"In 1973, Tracy lived in Room 49 at the old Bermuda Palms motel – now Room 149 of the Motel 6 at 737 E. Francisco Blvd. – with her grandmother and other family members. Her parents were separated.

On April 27, at 11 a.m., Tracy left home to walk to her class at Bahia Vista School. She never arrived and did not come home that evening, and the next day her family reported her missing."
"Tracy’s parents offered a $500 reward for information leading to her recovery, and the Independent Journal offered another $1,000, but the offers bore no fruit. Nor did a potential clue – a witness report that a black or dark green car was slowing following the girl on Canal Street the day she vanished."

Hold on...a 6 year old doesn’t return from school and they don’t report her missing until the next day? Does this make sense to anyone?
Leaving for school at 11.00 am, is that normal?

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back