Found Deceased SD - Pamella Jackson & Cheryl Miller, both 17, Vermillion, 29 May 1971 *car and remains found 2013*

On the evening of the 29th, the two high school juniors visited Miller's grandmother ... After that, they stopped and talked to some boys at a church near the Spink exit and asked them for directions. Miller and Jackson started following the the car full of boys to the party at a gravel pit about 15 miles south of Beresford, but when the boys looked back in their rear-view mirror, Miller and Jackson had vanished. To this day, there has been no sign of them or their car.

l]

What a shame that no one believed the boys. They probably could pinpoint the place where they lost sight of the girls.

A tragic story, but the sub story I find interesting. LE were all ready to convict Lykken for murder apparently with nothing more than a "jailhouse confession". It makes one wonder how many other people get charged and/or convicted under similar circumstances. I don't know why DAs pay any attention to these so called informants - it is pretty obvious that they have strong motivation to lie to get some sort of deal or improved living conditions.

A tragic story, but the sub story I find interesting. LE were all ready to convict Lykken for murder apparently with nothing more than a "jailhouse confession". It makes one wonder how many other people get charged and/or convicted under similar circumstances. I don't know why DAs pay any attention to these so called informants - it is pretty obvious that they have strong motivation to lie to get some sort of deal or improved living conditions.

I wopnder what evidence they used to convict him on the rape and abduction charge . I have not seen a link that talks about that case.

I wopnder what evidence they used to convict him on the rape and abduction charge . I have not seen a link that talks about that case.

http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.cfm/criminals-connection-to-cold-case/?id=34265

On July 10, 1990, Lykken entered an ex-girlfriend's apartment in Vermillion. The USD student and part-time church secretary tried breaking up with him for weeks, but he keep coming to her home. On that night he locked her bedroom, almost choked her and raped in at least four times with her children in the home.

http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.cfm/criminals-connection-to-cold-case/?id=34265

On July 10, 1990, Lykken entered an ex-girlfriend's apartment in Vermillion. The USD student and part-time church secretary tried breaking up with him for weeks, but he keep coming to her home. On that night he locked her bedroom, almost choked her and raped in at least four times with her children in the home.

Sounds like a domestic situation gone bad, with a he said/she said scenario playing out.....227 years seems extremely excessive for that.

Anyhow, that is nothing like the MO required for the disappearance of these other two girls though, so I think the DA/LE were basically trying to "solve" the case by blaming him when this jailhouse informer came up with his story.

I think it is kind of scary that they would try to charge someone with murder (and get an indictment) on such flimsy evidence. And the Sheriff doesn't even seem to understand that there was a fundamental flaw with the process involved with their investigative methodology, so they will probably make the same mistakes again. It doesn't say much for the quality of justice in that part of the country. Not to mention the hell they put the girls families through all these years, making them think that their daughters murderer got off on a technicality, when in fact they were not murdered at all (and should have been found at the accident site within 24 hours if LE had been doing their job properly).

What a shame that no one believed the boys. They probably could pinpoint the place where they lost sight of the girls.

A question that needs to be answered. If the boy's story was the truth, why didn't they turn around and go back and look for the girls themselves? If they did in fact know where the girls disappeared, it should have been easy for them to find the girl's car. In my opinion, their story is still suspicious.

I don't think they realized EXACTLY when the girls car disappeared..they just noticed at some point on the road they couldn't see their car. Which makes sense, because you don't sit in the car and continually look backwards and someone following you.

And given how often that road was traveled over the years, search parties, etc., it is obvious that the car sunk pretty fast in a "hole" in the creek under that bridge.

A question that needs to be answered. If the boy's story was the truth, why didn't they turn around and go back and look for the girls themselves? If they did in fact know where the girls disappeared, it should have been easy for them to find the girl's car. In my opinion, their story is still suspicious.

They clearly didn't realise that the girls were in such danger, but they would have been able say where they saw them last, and also where they first noticed that they were no longer behind them. Would there have been more than a couple of miles/kms between those spots? A deep river along the route would have been a good place to search.

Awh yes, in hindsight. :/

I don't think they realized EXACTLY when the girls car disappeared..they just noticed at some point on the road they couldn't see their car. Which makes sense, because you don't sit in the car and continually look backwards and someone following you.

And given how often that road was traveled over the years, search parties, etc., it is obvious that the car sunk pretty fast in a "hole" in the creek under that bridge.

They clearly didn't realise that the girls were in such danger, but they would have been able say where they saw them last, and also where they first noticed that they were no longer behind them. Would there have been more than a couple of miles/kms between those spots? A deep river along the route would have been a good place to search.

Awh yes, in hindsight. :/

If it had been me driving the car that those girls where following, when they suddenly disappeared, I would have personally with or without the help of the police gone out there and drove or walked over every foot of that road, looking for any clues of what happened to them. I would certainly have looked very closely at every bridge. I may not have found them right away, but I would have found that car eventually. I wouldn't been able to sleep until, I knew what happened to them, and I think most people would do the same.

Yet, in this case, not one person involved, bothered to look under a bridge, a half a mile from the girls destination? :waitasec: Something is wrong there.

IIRC Many people looked along that route and in the fields- including those boys- plus people had been around that stream all these years.
Someone upthread talked about bridges and how sometimes there are "holes" in creeks (sometimes caused by bridges, sometimes natural) and these holes can be quite deep.
I know in the rivers here most areas are 10 ft or less, but there are some holes that are very very deep. People have gone down in these holes and been lost for years.
So this person upthread (I think she was from the area) speculated that the car had gone into one of these holes just right and remained covered all these years by water.

Just like those 2 cars that were recently found in that lake after 30+ years- they were just a short way from the dock that people used year after year.

Cars that go off the road don't just levitate into a hole, there would have been damage in the brush alongside the road.

Obviously no one walked the verge where their car was last seen and looked for any. Cars don't just vanish. Like I said, this case should have been solved within 24 hours of the accident, the fact that it was not is just sheer incompetence by local LE. That, compounded by their attempt to frame this other guy for "murder" so they could close the case, is mind boggling.

Cars that go off the road don't just levitate into a hole, there would have been damage in the brush alongside the road.

Obviously no one walked the verge where their car was last seen and looked for any. Cars don't just vanish. Like I said, this case should have been solved within 24 hours of the accident, the fact that it was not is just sheer incompetence by local LE. That, compounded by their attempt to frame this other guy for "murder" so they could close the case, is mind boggling.

I'm not sure I would necessarily connect the original blundered investigation with the attempt to frame the convict for murder. Since those two things happened 35 years apart.

But I do smell a cover-up with the original investigation. Somebody did not want to find those girls very badly.

IIRC Many people looked along that route and in the fields- including those boys- plus people had been around that stream all these years.
Someone upthread talked about bridges and how sometimes there are "holes" in creeks (sometimes caused by bridges, sometimes natural) and these holes can be quite deep.
I know in the rivers here most areas are 10 ft or less, but there are some holes that are very very deep. People have gone down in these holes and been lost for years.
So this person upthread (I think she was from the area) speculated that the car had gone into one of these holes just right and remained covered all these years by water.

Just like those 2 cars that were recently found in that lake after 30+ years- they were just a short way from the dock that people used year after year.

But this is not a lake. It's not even a river. It's just a little creek a half mile from the girl's destination. Look at the pictures below and tell me how that car could stay under that bridge for 40 years, if someone had actually looked for it there?

Note the tire tracks in the gravel in the first picture. The girl's car would have left tire tracks just like that. But their tracks would have gone right off the side of the road. It would have been like a big arrow pointing to where the car was.

In the third picture the car was under the water, directly behind the bridge pillars, when the picture was taken. A person could have waded into that water and found the car, or just used a probing pole to find it. Ultimately it was found totally by accident.

Screenshot2014-04-17at95942AM_zps05059943.jpg

Screenshot2014-04-17at100034AM_zps5f6b27c1.jpg

Screenshot2014-04-17at100311AM_zps40849571.jpg

1971 Disappearance of Elk Point, S.D. Teens Finally Solved Thanks to Drought

Jackson's late mother, Adele, told people the loss of a daughter was especially hard on her husband, Oscar.

"She said just about every night after supper, he'd go out driving around the countryside looking for that Studebaker," said Paul Buum, publisher of the local newspaper, the Alcester Union and Hudsonite.

Oscar Jackson died at age 102, five days before the car was found. An obituary noted that his daughter's disappearance was his "greatest sadness."

1971 Disappearance of Elk Point, S.D. Teens Finally Solved Thanks to Drought

Jackson's late mother, Adele, told people the loss of a daughter was especially hard on her husband, Oscar.

"She said just about every night after supper, he'd go out driving around the countryside looking for that Studebaker," said Paul Buum, publisher of the local newspaper, the Alcester Union and Hudsonite.

Oscar Jackson died at age 102, five days before the car was found. An obituary noted that his daughter's disappearance was his "greatest sadness."

unbelievably heartbreaking.

Not really up to the minute, as this is from April, but I didn't find a thread on it. Sad story, just heartbreaking. I hope they're together again now.

__

In a cruel twist of fate, a heartbroken father who never gave up the search for his missing daughter died just days before she was found.

The obituary of Oscar Jackson, age 102, called the sudden disappearance of his teenage daughter one of the saddest moments of his life.

http://latest.com/2014/04/heartbrok...before-she-is-found/?utm_source=Outbrain_Over

Thats so sad you would think living to such a old age would be a great feat but it sure sounds like it was just torture for the father.

http://siouxcityjournal.com/news/local/state-and-regional/missing-vermillion-teen-more-than-a-mystery-to-family/article_56dc2d6a-1454-5618-87d1-0a7fc1e8dd71.html

"We’re happy to have her home," Jackson's sister, Kay Brock, said Thursday.

Allen said she hopes people will remember her sister for the bright, beautiful and kind girl she was rather than how she died. Allen was 10 years old when Miller went missing. The sisters were very close, she said.

"She was my second mother," Allen said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back