POLL: Did Jodi Arias take the stand because she wanted to?

Why did Jodi Arias take the stand in her defense

• She demanded it.

Votes: 349 70.9%
  • Her lawyer asked her to do it.

Votes: 17 3.5%
  • A combination of both.

Votes: 126 25.6%

• Total voters

nursebeeme

Reaction score
Jodi Arias is on the stand. Did she take the stand because she wanted to? Or did her attorney want her to? Or was it a combination?

I think she had nothing to lose. We all know she did it. Her best chance is to get the jury to like her and believe it could have been in answer to his attacking first.

Voted.... she demanded it

My opinion, she wanted to. I felt like Jodi loved having her moment to talk and have everyone listen to her. It's Jodi's moment in the spotlight.

She's a talker and enjoys telling stories. I don't think they could have kept her off the stand. JMHO.

She wants the attention. She is a narcissist. I think she thinks she can "mesmerize" the jury with her wiles, her stories and her lies. She is creating this epic in her own mind, and believes she has gotten away with so much, she will get away with murder too.

I voted for combo.. I think she demanded it and so they worked it to perfection: it is way too "planned" and "contrived" imhoo

Perhaps one of our certified criminal attorneys or paralegals can answer this: minus other eyewitnesses or circumstantial evidence, isn't it very difficult to prove "self-defense" if the defendant does NOT take the stand?

I suppose exceptions might be cases where the killer was a victim of long-term abuse witnessed by others. But in cases like this, where there is so little evidence that JA had any reason to fear for her life, how does she prove her case without testifying?

(Just to remind us all: as I understand it, "self-defense" is an an affirmative defense. The burden of proof shifts to the defendant to prove she was in imminent fear for her life. In theory, she can't just have her lawyer say it and then demand the prosecution prove otherwise.)

I voted for combo. Her ship was sinking fast, and this was their only chance. IMO

Her ego is so large she actually trips over it! She definately wanted to testify; it's her moment in the sun. (so she thinks.)

Combination of both, however, she believes she's smarter than everyone else in her mind, is most likely calling the shots.

I'm sad that she dressed so blandly. Where's the hat and dress? Nurmi, get that woman some mascara stat! I want raccoon eyes today.

There are many examples of Jodi giving interviews including her police interviews. None of which she appears nervous.

She's a cool cucumber and is able to spin her tales without any stress whatsoever. Her lawyers know that. They knew exactly what she would be like on the stand since she has had a lot of practice. On top of that years have gone by and Jodi has probably captivated her jail buddies with her stories.

She is a polished speaker and there was no worry about her messing her testimony up.

If I was on trial for murder, not that I would ever kill anyone, I guess I would try anything to not get the DP. jmo

First time poster here on Websleuths!! :great::twocents:

There is something in her that wants to be the center of the show... This is her big chance to make "everyone like her"... Sad little tale she tells well. I do not believe anyone is buying her crock of crap... :jail::banghead::boohoo:

Since Jodi once represented herself, she's arrogant enough to think that she can outsmart, outwit any attorney who questions her. This is Jodi's moment in the spotlight, and she plans to make the most of it. I didn't think that she would testify (voted "no" in previous poll) but considered the possibility that she would due to her self-absorption. :moo:

Combination. She believes she can convince anyone of her virtue and indeed she convinced her legal team of this.

I think it was a combination of factors. She surely wanted to take the stand, tell her story and convince the jury of her version of the events.
Also, I think the defence wanted her to take the stand in order to open the door for certain evidence (some people mentioned that the sex tapes could only be admitted if she took the stand). It is all carefully scripted, and I think that the defence has coached her extremely well in order to not have her testimony open up any lines of questioning for the prosecution that they don't want.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back