MI MI - Trout Lake, WhtMale 19-30, UP8378, Poss from Canada, coins, Canadian keys, clothes, Nov'66

Does this fellow have a thread in the UID forum? If not, he should, as he will get much more attention there than here.

They say he had lost his teeth. At 6 months PMI id imagine even if they did fall out they would still be close by? Pretty young to lose your teeth. I found this missing person from Ontario 5 months previous. It states that he had already lost his teeth. He also looks similar in that the head shape is narrow at the jaw and wide towards the top. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Philippe GUERIN.png
    Philippe GUERIN.png
    102.7 KB · Views: 37
Damn, I got excited when I saw that there was a thread for this man, only to realize I already posted here a year ago and no activity since lol. Oh well, here is another possibility.

The unidentified was supposedly early 20s, and his upper front teeth were unrecovered. At 6 months PMI, that sounds a bit strange.

BUT, there was a man that was last seen on the ferry from Nanaimo to Vancouver, Canada. I cant find any more info, so not sure if he jumped and they didn't recover the body or what. But maybe if he was trying to get to the USA he may have tried that and failed, only to try later... and ended up here, near the border of Canada and Michigan... he was noted as missing his 2 upper front teeth aswell...would love help in finding more info if poss.....
James Douglas TURNBULL
Canada's Missing | Case details

As a native Michigander, I can say that merely having some Canadian coins in your pocket is not unusual and doesn't indicate to me at all that he's Canadian. Canadian coins, especially the one that look like US coins, are mixed into the money supply and it's not weird to get some back in change from stores -- at least in areas near the border. I'm not saying he isn't Canadian, just that I need more to go on than 'found in Michigan with some Canadian coins'.

Chippewa County John Doe (1966)

On November 13, 1966, the decomposed body of a male was found in the Hiawatha National Forest in Trout Lake, Chippewa County, Michigan. The man's cause of death was determined to be a homicide by gunshot to the head. The victim was aged between 19 and 25, although he may have been up to 30 years old when he died.

He was approximately 5 feet 10 inches (1.78 m) tall and weighed 150 pounds (68 kg). His hair was around four inches (10 cm) long and was brown with a reddish tint.

He was dressed in a tan shirt with jeans, and had both American and Canadian currency in his shirt pocket, leading officers to believe he was of Canadian nationality.

Additionally, he was found near the border of the Canadian province of Ontario. A gold and chrome-colored lighter, and a set of five Canadian-style keys on a key ring, with the number "330" etched in it, were also found with the remains. The man's belongings and clothing no longer exist, as they were destroyed.

He is believed to have died approximately six months before his discovery.

Sketch of victim and photos of his belongings at link below.

LINK:
List of unidentified murder victims in Michigan - Wikipedia

Discovered
c. November 13, 1966
Unidentified for
54 years
Sex
Male
Race
White
Height
5'9 - 5'11
Weight
149 pounds
Body condition
Decomposed
Postmortem interval
6 Months
Cause of death
Gunshot

''Characteristics
  • His front teeth may have protruded, but were not recovered with the remains.
  • Brown hair with some reddish tint.
Clothing and belongings
  • American and Canadian currency.
  • A gold-colored chrome butane lighter.
  • A key ring with five keys.
  • Tan lightweight cowboy style shirt with imitation pearl snaps.
  • Blue Lee jeans.''
  • Chippewa County John Doe

948UMMI - Unidentified Male
948UMMI.jpg
948UMMI1.jpg
948UMMI2.jpg
948UMMI3.jpg

Artistic rendering of the victim by Heather Clark; Victim's personal effects

Date of Discovery: November 13, 1966
Location of Discovery: Trout Lake, Chippewa County, Michigan
Estimated Date of Death: 1965 to 1966
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
Cause of Death: Homicide

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 19-25 years old
Race: White
Height: 5'9" to 5'11"
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Brown with a slight reddish cast, up to 4 inches in length.
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers
Dentals: Available. Upper front teeth (unrecovered) may have protruded (buck teeth).
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Not available.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Tan lightweight cowboy style shirt (size 15 1/2-inch neck, 32-inch sleeve) with imitation pearl snaps and blue Lee jeans (size 30-inch waist).
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: US and Canadian currency. A gold-tone and chrome butane lighter. A key ring with a snap and strap attached with five keys, one of which had "330" etched into it.

Circumstances of Discovery
Hunters found the victim's remains near their deer camp in a wooded area 4.5 miles north and 5 miles west of Trout Lake off a dirt trail.

The Canadian coins found in the victim's pocket led investigators to believe the victim was from the Ontario side of the border. A type of key ring found, more common in Canada, reinforced the theory.

Evidence gathered during the recovery - including the victim's clothing and personal possessions - have been destroyed.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Michigan State Police - St. Ignace Post
Agency Contact Person: Detective Robin Sexton
Agency Phone Number: 906-643-7582
Agency Case Number: 83-1352-05

Agency Name: Chippewa County Medical Examiner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Joseph Garlinghouse
Agency Phone Number: 906-635-1568

NCIC Case Number: N/A
NamUs Case Number: UP #8378

Information Source(s)
NamUs
Michigan State Police
Canada.com
948UMMI

948UMMI3.jpg

The first key is for an older (1940's to 60's) General Motors car ignition. The last two appear to be house keys (Dexter and Schlage).

948UMMI2.jpg

It is common for anyone in Michigan to have Canadian coins, along with US coins in change. Usually about one coin in ten received in change was Canadian, as they were considered to be equal value to US Coins.

Not so common for a Michigan resident to have Canadian paper money on his person. Many places would discount Canadian currency and only allow something like 90 cents to the dollar. Therefore, they were not often given out in change in Michigan. It would seem that this young man only had the money in his pocket, since there is no photo or mention of a wallet.

The Butane lighter is interesting, and not something that was very common back then. Today, they are available in throw-away plastic form anywhere. Back in 1965 or 66, they were of the more expensive type shown and they had to be periodically refilled using a separate can of butane. A butane lighter was something of a fashion statement and might have been a special gift given to him. They were made by a number of different companies. Knowing exactly what make his lighter was and where it was made might be a clue as to his origin.

Last edited:
I wonder what they mean by "Canadian keys"? I think that might provide more insight than the coins.

The image of the coins is so blurry, that I can't tell Canadian from US. However, it looks to be about 50/50 mix. He was so close to the border, he could have been from either side. If he is from Michigan, he probably resided up near there.

OK...Article says "Key ring" was from Canada...(which doesn't mean anything)

Article says there is no body
Shot five times
Shut cold case reopened - Victoria Times Colonist
He was murdered 42 years ago in the northern Michigan backwoods -- a young man shot five times and left by his killer, at the base of a pine tree near the town of Trout Lake, to be found months later by a party of deer hunters.

"We can't find the body," he said. "We have no idea where the body disappeared to. It was sent down to the University of Michigan, and they don't know what happened to it -- and now we're going back 40 some years.

Last edited:
5179DMBC - Le-Roi Francis La France ?

Le-Roi Francis La France
Case Classification: Involuntary Missing
Missing Since: November 1, 1964, 19 yrs.
Location Last Seen: Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada

948UMMI_LARGE.jpg
5179DMBC_LARGE.jpg

Or 1188DMNF - Alexander Whitehorne Miss

17 yrs.

Name: Alexander Whitehorne
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: October 11, 1964
Location Last Seen: Cormack, Newfoundland, Canada.

Whitehorne was last seen on October 11, 1964, leaving Cormack, Newfoundland to take a bus to Corner Brook. Foul play is suspected.

He lived in Toronto with his parents and other family members, and was visiting his grandparents in Pasadena.

5179DMBC - Le-Roi Francis La France ?

Le-Roi Francis La France
Case Classification: Involuntary Missing
Missing Since: November 1, 1964, 19 yrs.
Location Last Seen: Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada

948UMMI_LARGE.jpg
5179DMBC_LARGE.jpg

Or 1188DMNF - Alexander Whitehorne Miss

17 yrs.

Name: Alexander Whitehorne
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: October 11, 1964
Location Last Seen: Cormack, Newfoundland, Canada.

Whitehorne was last seen on October 11, 1964, leaving Cormack, Newfoundland to take a bus to Corner Brook. Foul play is suspected.

He lived in Toronto with his parents and other family members, and was visiting his grandparents in Pasadena.
Oh the recon and Whitehorse look very similar especially since they said her and bucked teeth.

Oh the recon and Whitehorse look very similar especially since they said her and bucked teeth.
British Columbia is about 2,000 miles away!

I'm pretty sure this guy was from the Sault St Marie area (Canada or US) or Upper Peninsula of Michigan. (Both would be considered local)
Based on the change, he is probably someone who crossed the border frequently (Whether he lived in Canada or Michigan)

Sault St Marie is a city that is in both Canada and Michigan

British Columbia is about 2,000 miles away!

I'm pretty sure this guy was from the Sault St Marie area (Canada or US) or Upper Peninsula of Michigan. (Both would be considered local)
Based on the change, he is probably someone who crossed the border frequently (Whether he lived in Canada or Michigan)

Sault St Marie is a city that is in both Canada and Michigan

I agree he was probably living in the area, but he could have moved there from anywhere.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back