CA CA - Kathleen 'Kathy' Rodgers, 16, Oroville, 3 March 1973

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Screenshot2013-08-05at44711PM_zpscbf4b7af.png

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-407O01CMl0NXNSQTBEaHlhcmc/view?sle=true
(PDF file, scroll down to Page 2)

Kathleen Rodgers left her home on March 3, 1973 after an argument with her stepmother. She was 16 years old with brown hair and green eyes, 5'2" tall and 130 pounds. She was wearing a blue coat, a green army shirt, a blue and white blouse, jeans, brown shoes, a watch, and two gold rings.

Kathleen was seen around town for a brief time after leaving home, but LE suspects she met with foul play shortly afterward.

That was my first thought seeing this picture! Has she been submitted for Cali? Something about the nose and the hair...

I asked Nameless Helper as she has contact information for Cali. I always think it is best if one person acts as our contact to avoid overwhelming MEs. I wonder why it took so long to post on NamUs??

This must be the girl LE were looking for when they dug up an abandoned property in Biggs a few years ago. I have no idea why, but they refused to release her name at the time and afaik she never appeared in any databases until recently, despite being reported missing so long ago.

This must be the girl LE were looking for when they dug up an abandoned property in Biggs a few years ago. I have no idea why, but they refused to release her name at the time and afaik she never appeared in any databases until recently, despite being reported missing so long ago.

I think you're right. This is from 2012.

Butte County authorities digging for body of missing Oroville girl
08/06/12
http://www.dailydemocrat.com/201208...ies-digging-for-body-of-missing-oroville-girl
EAST BIGGS — The FBI and Chico State University's human remains experts are helping the Butte County Sheriff's Office dig for the body of a 15-year-old who has been missing since 1973. The sheriff's office received a tip that the girl's body might be buried near the foundation of a home that burned decades ago on Larkin and Lattin roads in East Biggs, Sgt. Jason Hail said today.
"It wasn't until last year that we had something solid," Hail said.
Investigators are not releasing the name of the girl who grew up in Oroville and was reportedly living at a group home in Gridley at the time of her disappearance, Lt. Al Smith said. She had previously been reported as a runaway.

Kathleen has been missing for 42 years today.

[h=1]Kathleen Edna Rodgers[/h]
  • kathleen_edna_rodgers_1.jpg
Kathleen, circa 1973

• Missing Since 03/03/1973
  • Missing From Oroville, California
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 05/10/1956 (61)
  • Age 15 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'2, 130 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A blue coat, a green Army shirt, a blue and white blouse, blue Levi's jeans, brown shoes, a watch and two gold rings.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, green eyes.

[h=3]Details of Disappearance[/h] Kathleen was last seen by her stepmother at their home in the 1500 block of Keko Street in Oroville, California at noon on March 3, 1973. There was an argument and Kathleen left the house. Her stepmother reported her missing the same day.

Kathleen was reportedly living with friends at the time of her disappearance. There were sightings of her in the local area after she was reported missing, but she was never located. Although she may have left of her own accord, foul play is suspected in her case.
[h=3]Investigating Agency[/h]
  • Butte County Sheriff's Office 530-538-7671

[h=3]Source Information[/h]

http://charleyproject.org/case/kathleen-edna-rodgers

OkieGranny included a PDF where you can read: "Kathleen was associated with and possibly dating Dale William Kirk at the time".
Was he ever interviewed as a possible witness/suspect? Why is he mentioned? Do we know something about him? Did he cooperate with the LE?

I am pretty sure that her birth mother, father and step mother are all now dead. Ancestry has a birth record with the exact date of birth for her to a mother with the maiden name of Summers in Shasta. This leads directly to a teenage marriage in Shasta 2 months before the birth, of Benson Rodgers and June Edna Summers which is also the only Rodgers/Summers marriage. Benson Rodgers went on to marry at least 3 times (hence a stepmother). Benson died in 2013, June in 1995 and the other wives of Benson have also died. Based on other records and obituaries it seems that Kathleen's nearest surviving relatives may be cousins and, possibly, one uncle.
I should also confirm that she was born in 1957 (May 10) so was 15 rather than 16.

OkieGranny included a PDF where you can read: "Kathleen was associated with and possibly dating Dale William Kirk at the time".
Was he ever interviewed as a possible witness/suspect? Why is he mentioned? Do we know something about him? Did he cooperate with the LE?
I am pretty sure that Dale Kirk went on to marry in Chelan, Washington. The application for a licence, giving his name as Dale W Kirk and birthplace as Oroville, is on Ancestry and dated August 1974. So he moved far away within just over a year. He was 19 in 1974. He seemed to remain in that area of Washington as he remarried in the same place in 1989. There seems little else about him.

Posting the information from the PDF here incase the link goes down:

Case #: C73-13826

Victim: Kathleen Edna Rodgers

DOB: 05-10-1956 Height: 5’2” Weight: 130 Hair: Brn Eye: Grn

Clothing Description: Blue coat, green army shirt, blue and white blouse, blue Levis, brown
shoes, watch, and two gold rings.

Location Last Seen: Kathleen was last seen by her step mother Elda Stevens on 03-03-1973 at
approximately 1200 hours at their residence at 1512 Keko St in Oroville.

Details: Kathleen was reported missing by Elda on 03-03-1973 after an argument between the
two of them took place. Kathleen was seen in the Oroville area after she was reported missing.
Kathleen was living with and hanging out with her friends. Kathleen was associated with and
possibly dating Dale William Kirk at the time. Kathleen disappeared and hasn’t been seen or
heard from by her family and friends. Several attempts have been made to locate Kathleen’s
remains from information provided to the Butte County Sheriff’s Office in this case. Kathleen’s
remains still haven’t been located. Foul play is suspected.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back