FL FL - Cynthia Gooding, 16, & Teresa Alfonso, 12, Marathon, 3 Sept 1974

I am new at this and hope that I did this correct and you are able to see this picture. I maybe way off as this is my first time suggesting a match but I really think this is a possible match. Does anyone feel that Cynthia and Eldorado Jane Doe could be a match? I know that a few of the facts do not match but a visual of the two and the fact that Cynthia's sister stated the friend that she went missing with mother's name was Mercedes and that is the stage name Jane Doe used gave me a chill.
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/2813
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/6128/0//

This seems to resemble the Lloyd Lee Welch/ Lyons sisters case in some ways. I see by the FBI time line Welch was in Austin TX. in January 74 and then nothing until April 75 when he was known to be in Maryland and lured the Lyons sisters from a mall. I also see he made a couple trips to Florida. Not much to link him but when I read about the Lyons case I immediately thought of this one.

The thing about El Dorado Jane Doe that sticks out to me is her nearly 6 ft. height. There was a woman missing from West Virginia, Anita Maria Price Musto (maybe Musto Price) who has never been found and was listed as being 6 feet tall. I always wondered if El Dorado Jane might have been her mother, and it is possible that she could have had two daughters. A long shot, I know, but the pictures show a resemblance as well. This may be a real long shot, but anyone remember Beverly Rose Potts who disappeared from Ohio at age 10 and has never been accounted for? She showed early signs of being extremely tall for a woman. I contacted the El Dorado Jane Doe Detective asking that the DNA be checked with Annita Price to see if it showed any family connection. Still have not heard anything in reply, but when I called, I was told they take new cases before they check information on old ones. At least, I tried.

I think my post yesterday may not have been thorough enough in explanation. If Beverly Rose Potts left home voluntarily, she could have become Annita Maria Musto Price who disappeared from West Virginia (while in custody battle with her ex-husband) and talen the name Mercedes. She could possibly be the mother of both girls--Eldorado Jane and Cynthia. I know it is a long shot, but I found some early possible connections which might link Potts with Price, but only the DNA will determine if it is so. It was the height and the similarity in features that originally drew my attention to a possible connection.

Bump

Cynthia Gooding

NCMC843979c1.jpg

Missing Since - Sep 3, 1974
Missing From - Marathon, FL
DOB - Jul 23, 1958
Age Now - 60
Sex - Female
Race - White
Hair Color - Brown
Eye Color - Green
Height - 4'10"
Weight - 87 lbs

Age Progressed

NCMC843979e1.jpg

Cynthia's photo is shown age-progressed to 53 years. She was last seen with a friend, Teresa Alfonso, at a movie theater in Marathon, Florida. At the time of her disappearance, Cynthia used the nickname Cindy. She has a scar on her left eyebrow.

Have you seen this child? CYNTHIA GOODING

NamUs #MP6128

Piercing - Her ears are pierced.

Scar/mark - Scar left eyebrow

Clothing - blue jeans, light blue shirt with white and yellow flowers

Missing Person Case

Teresa Armanda Alfonso
TAlfonso.jpg
TAlfonso1.jpg
TAlfonso2.jpg
TAlfonso3.jpg

The two images on the left were taken circa 1974. The two images on the right are age-progressed to 46 and 51 years.

Name: Teresa Armanda Alfonso
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: September 3, 1974
Location Last Seen: Marathon, Monroe County, Florida

Physical Description
Date of Birth: November 6, 1961
Race: White/Hispanic
Height: 5'2-5'5"
Weight: 120-138 lbs.
Hair Color: Light Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Nickname/Alias: Terry
Distinguishing Marks/Features: She has had a tonsillectomy. She has pierced ears and a small-sized scar below her buttocks.

Identifiers
Dentals: Not Available. She has a small gap between her two front teeth.
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Blue shirt, brown pants and high heel shoes.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance
Alfonso was last seen with her friend, Cynthia Gooding. The girls were dropped off by Alfonso's mother at a movie theater in Marathon which was located on 63rd Street. However, they never made it inside the theater.

It was the first time they were allowed to go by themselves. Alfonso and Gooding were last seen leaving the theater, which today is used as a storage facility. One of their friends said they were picked up by a white or yellowish van and they were supposed to be headed to a party.

At the time of their disappearances, Alfonso was a seventh grader and Gooding was a junior at Marathon Junior High School.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Monroe County Sheriff's Office
Agency Contact Person: Sergeant Christian Kellenberger
Agency Phone Number: (305)-296-2424
Agency Phone Number: (800)-346-8477
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 74-203432
NCIC Case Number: M-729859018
NCMEC Case Number: 801268
NamUs Case Number: 5785

Information Source(s)
NamUs
NCMEC
North American Missing Persons Network
FDLE
Facebook
CNN
WSNV 7 News

I think my post yesterday may not have been thorough enough in explanation. If Beverly Rose Potts left home voluntarily, she could have become Annita Maria Musto Price who disappeared from West Virginia (while in custody battle with her ex-husband) and talen the name Mercedes. She could possibly be the mother of both girls--Eldorado Jane and Cynthia. I know it is a long shot, but I found some early possible connections which might link Potts with Price, but only the DNA will determine if it is so. It was the height and the similarity in features that originally drew my attention to a possible connection.
I think the name Mercedes was linked to Theresa Alfonso's mother, not Cynthia Gooding. I think Cynthia's mothers identity was well established. I know Cynthia's sister had posted on here and while I did not speak much to her brother about her disappearance, he did not mention ever having another sibling that had disappeared.

Hoping the relatives that posted here before join us again and become verified so we can help.

Cynthia and Teresa have been missing for 45 years today.

Just read the entire thread. Interesting case with a number of possible scenarios.

US1 also known as the Overseas Hwy, goes all the way thru the FL Keys. Some keys are so small, as you drive you can see the water between the mangroves. Marathon is one of the bigger, more populated keys now. At the time, I'm sure it was not near as populated. There was a ton of land development going on back then. So, not only tourists, but contractors were in the area.

This happened the Tuesday, 9/3/74 after the Labor Day Weekend (8/31 to 9/2) holiday. It is possible as the girls were hitchhiking, a tourist had a crime of opportunity, picked them up and just kept right on going out of state.

The 1974 hurricane season around this week was busy and may have included high winds and rising water. Once the girls were hitchhiking, depending on how late it was, lack of sidewalks, and amount of northbound traffic, it is possible they stumbled into the water. Doubtful, but possible.

1974 Atlantic hurricane season - Wikipedia
The timing of TS Dolly (50 MPH) and TS Elaine (70 MPH) skirting the Keys to the east, pushing water onshore is likely.

Marathon Page 2
As in much of the Keys, the 1970s were the "dredge and fill" era. Marathon began the decade by again declining to incorporate by 517 against and 115 for. The state designation of the Florida Keys as an Area of Critical State Concern in 1974 supplied the reins to be pulled on to control development. Government agencies began impact studies and environmentalists moved in.

Makes you wonder if they planned to meet up with someone outside the theater.

34MFFL – Cynthia Robin Gooding
Incident Type: Endangered Missing
Missing From: Marathon, Monroe County, Florida
NamUs MP Number: 6128
NCIC MP Number: M-061966859
NCMEC Number: 843979
Doe Network Case Number: 218
Went Missing: September 3rd 1974
DNA Status: Samples Submitted – Tests Complete
Dental Status: Dentals Available

Details: Cynthia was last seen with her 12 year old friend, Teresa Alfonso, on September 3rd 1974. They were dropped off by Teresa’s mother at a movie theater but they never made it inside. Foul play is possible in the case.

So sad that their file was lost in a fire.

GINA For Missing Persons - Cynthia Robin Gooding
Circumstances of Disappearance:
AlfonsoTeresaArmanda.jpg
Unknown. Her photos above are shown age-progressed to 46 years and 53 years, respectively. Cynthia was dropped off with her friend, Teresa Armanda Alfonso (photo at right), at the now-defunct Marathon Movie Theater in Marathon, Florida. They planned to hitchhike to a party that day. Neither of the girls has been seen again. The police file for the girls was destroyed in a fire sometime after they vanished. Their cases remain unsolved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back