AZ AZ - Laurie 'Allison' Smith, 22, Tucson, 8 Feb 1977

Hi,

I thought I'd take a moment and try to provide some updates. Since Karas last post in December we've managed to locate her boyfriend at the time of her disappearance, as well as Greg, and even Kate Mast.

There is a new detective assigned to the case and it appears there's some interest in taking a look at it so there's some hope that things will develop further.

There's a couple of new names that have surfaced since Karas last post, but we've found nothing concrete to actually link them to this case. If they are involved they would've had MUCH MORE influence than Lee, and it could explain why so much emphasis was placed on the marijuana rather than Allison.

Allison did in fact know John O'brien, because his name is in some notes that were taken back in 1977.

Deca
The landlord is indeed suspect here, but why would he want to kill her weeks after the fact? So what do you think the landlord's motive was? To keep her quiet?

It wasn't weeks, it would've been closer to a year. The more I've learned the less motive I see. A year had passed and the night she disappeared she was picking up the marijuana for him. Also, it doesn't make sense to me that he'd park the Maverick so close to where he lived and then leave Tucson, shortly after her disappearance. The night she picked up the pot and disappeared no money was to be exchanged. It was to be paid for later which doesn't make sense to me that someone would part with 200lbs of pot without receiving the money at the time of the exchange. It's not like they could go to the police if they weren't paid.

Vermontaigne
I find it odd, considering Karas shared a driveway, that she was unaware John was more or less living with her sister. John certainly seems to know something about Allison,

It's a fact that John did know Allison, but his time frame is way off. The apartment he described is the one on Camilla which is where she would've lived at the time. She was living at an apartment on Blacklidge at the time of her disappearance. It's the address on Blacklidge where she would've shared a driveway with her sister. She moved to the Blacklidge apartment with her bf who remained with her up until the time of her disapperance. It seems reasonable that John was out of the picture by this time because John stated in emails he didn't know of this bf. The bf didn't know of John either. John was most likely with Allison somewhere in the Feb/March (1976) time frame, because she had met the new bf in the Spring of (1976).

They weren't a close knit family so it's not really all that odd Karas wouldn't have known John when Allison lived on Camilla St.

Vermontaigne
that he and Karas tried to get the police interested and get the info they developed to them.

John most likely helped Allison's mother, and not Karas. This probably would've been late summer after Karas had left Tucson. John's name and number were written in some notes found after Karas last post and I suspect Allison's mom contacted John.

Vermontaigne
I'm unclear on the "undercover officer" sting. As I understand it, in that case she was delivering 200 lbs with the car of the designated buyer driving out front.

I think what's relevant is she was delivering 200 lbs of pot, and she ended up being ripped off. "Fake Cops" do play a role in her being ripped off. I don't recall the specifics, but they weren't real cops.

Vermontaigne
When she disappears, she's off to purchase a similar amount, and the tire in the back seat suggests that it was moved to fill the trunk at the friend's way out west of Tucson. The car returns to the area to be discovered 10 months later with a seed in the trunk, but she's been missing this whole time. Is that correct, or have I misunderstood?

This is correct! The situation with the "Fake Cops" and her being ripped off would've occurred before the spring of 1976, and she went missing Feb of 1977.

What's odd is the fact she was picking up the pot rather than delivering it. The friend is Greg. She disappeared sometime after leaving Greg's, and the Maverick was found in December of 1977. The money for the pot was supposedly to be paid for at a later date. I find it hard to believe someone is going to part with 200 lbs and not get paid for it at the time of the exchange.

Pink Panther
I can't trace his spouse. Has anyone else been able to? Karas, did you know he was married? Had you or your sister met his wife?

I knew he had remarried. There's a good chance that she's deceased or they divorced, because his daughter, Kathryn, from his first marriage is the executor of his estate. What's strange neither John or her bf had ever seen Lee. In fact, I don't think her bf even knew of Lee until shortly before her disappearance.

In my opinion, as an outsider looking in, it's almost as if Allison led two separate lives. I'm not sure anyone really knows to what extent she was involved with Lee, because she was discrete about it.

Kate Mast was helpful. She did take the time to reply to an email and went through his papers and there no mention of Allison. Kate comes across as the complete opposite of her dad.

“Yes, Lee Mast was my father. I did look through the papers I have of his at that time and found no reference to Ms. Smith. I do not recognize the other names you listed either. My father and I were not in contact at all between 1976 and 1985, and I know nothing of his activities during that time. I do know that he was living in Tucson in '76 and had moved to northern Washington by the time we reconnected around 1985. I heard after my brother passed away in 2007 that Dad had been arrested sometime during that 10 years that we had no contact for smuggling dope, but never did find out if he was convicted or spent any time in jail for that. I'm very sorry for the family and friends of Ms. Smith, and am sorry I can't help you.

Kate Mast”

I don't think Greg is responsible for her disappearance, but I do think he knows or at least has an idea of what may have happened that night.

I've gone from being certain Lee did it to uncertain.

I was doing some searches based on the description Karas gave about Allison's accessories and physical description. I found this article dated on January 11, 1987, about the skeletal remains of an UID female whom was approximately 20-30 years old and found wearing a sapphire and diamond ring.

I thought this may be a possible match based on:

LS: last seen wearing diamond and sapphire ring
UID: found with a diamond and sapphire ring

LS: Wisdom teeth intact
UID: wisdom teeth about to hit the surface (meaning they were not removed)

LS: Missing all first four bicuspids
UID: there were four teeth missing, all bicuspids (numbers not stated)

LS: Had orthodontic treatment which was removed shortly before dissapearance
UID: Had a good bite, det. said that kind of bite would be hard to find in nature (suggestive of previous orthodontic treatment)

However height and location differ:

LS: Height 5'4"
UID: Height 5'6"

LS: Arizona
UID: Philly/NJ

Sadly I am not able to find more information about this UID female. Does anyone have more information about this UID female?

This is the only article I was able to find about UID female:

http://articles.philly.com/1987-01-11/news/26190594_1_medical-examiner-sapphire-unidentified-bodies

Unfortunately she had only been dead for six months to a year and that was in 1987, a good decade after Laurie was last seen.

I was doing some searches based on the description Karas gave about Allison's accessories and physical description. I found this article dated on January 11, 1987, about the skeletal remains of an UID female whom was approximately 20-30 years old and found wearing a sapphire and diamond ring.

I thought this may be a possible match based on:

LS: last seen wearing diamond and sapphire ring
UID: found with a diamond and sapphire ring

LS: Wisdom teeth intact
UID: wisdom teeth about to hit the surface (meaning they were not removed)

LS: Missing all first four bicuspids
UID: there were four teeth missing, all bicuspids (numbers not stated)

LS: Had orthodontic treatment which was removed shortly before dissapearance
UID: Had a good bite, det. said that kind of bite would be hard to find in nature (suggestive of previous orthodontic treatment)

However height and location differ:

LS: Height 5'4"
UID: Height 5'6"

LS: Arizona
UID: Philly/NJ

Sadly I am not able to find more information about this UID female. Does anyone have more information about this UID female?

This is the only article I was able to find about UID female:

http://articles.philly.com/1987-01-11/news/26190594_1_medical-examiner-sapphire-unidentified-bodies

She must have been ID'd because I'm not seeing her on NamUs. I was going to feature her on New Jersey for the Federal Help Find the Missing Act - Billy's Law but do not see her. NJ is pretty good with listing on NamUs

I knew Allison. We met in late August or early September 1974. She was registering for classes at the U of A. We saw each other some over the next few months. She got me into eating healthy foods and giving up meat. I met her sister too. I think she may have just been visiting from Las Cruces at that time (maybe early 1975?). The three of us took a day trip down to Nogales in a VW convertible. Karas, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Thanks to the posters who created and maintained this thread.

With some police reports I can provide updated information which I believe to be more factual, and may help in searching for unidentified Jane Does.

Updated Info

Description:

Height: 5"7"
weight: 115 lbs - 120 lbs
hair: brown (past shoulders)
eyes: brown
dental: see page 2
tattoos: pegasus, believed to be on left shoulder, approximately 1 inch in size.
rings: silver band on little toe, and a diamond / sapphire ring
Night of disappearance (updated): she had her glasses on (normally she wore contacts), and was wearing jeans and a dark brown and white sweater.

At time of her disappearance she had 3 savings / checking accounts with a combined total between $2,000.00 - $3.000.00.

She owed Lee between $1000.00 and $2000.00.

Greg, the person she picked the marijuana up from was given immunity, so I see no reason why he'd lie, stated Allison had told him she owed Lee $1000.00.

On February 9, a friend of hers approached an officer on the U of A campus and stated she believed Allison may have been killed in a drug deal. Allison told her that she was in debt to Lee for $2000.00, and on the night of her disappearance she was picking up $1500.00 worth of marijuana. This person also knew of the history between Lee and the death of his wife. I'm now wondering if Allison may have told her all this stuff in case something happened to her??

Both the U of A student and Greg stated she was to deliver the marijuana back to Lee.

I believe the date she was last seen would've been the evening of Sunday, February 6th and NOT February 8th. Here's why..
1. The statement from the U of A student which was taken on February 9th, said Allison told her she was going to pickup the marijuana on February 6th.
2. The statement dated Feb 10, 1977 from Trans Rent-A-Car, the place she rented the Maverick states that she rented the maverick at 5 PM on February 6th and was to return it by 5 PM on February 7th.
3. In a police report dated Feb 17, 1977 her sister states that her ex bf (Greg) last saw her on Monday, February 8th. February 8th was a Tuesday.
4. P.G. the one who supplied Greg with the marijuana to give to Allison also references the dates of February 6th and 7th.

Greg would've been the last person to see her the evening of Sunday, February 6th, and she was missing on Monday, February 7th.

The vehicle was recovered November 16, 1977. The right rear tire was flat. It states the spare tire was in the rear, which I assume to mean the backseat, however trunk is also in the rear. The mileage driven on the car was 42 miles which would be consistent with what she drove on February 6th. I think this supports that's all she was to do is pickup the marijuana and deliver it back to Lee.

Lee had a much larger network than I realized. Greg states Allison had delivered marijuana as faraway as Oregon. P.G., a friend of Greg's and Allison, and is the one who supplied Greg with the marijuana to give to Allison use to deliver for Lee before they had a falling out over a drug deal approximately a year before Allison went missing. He was delivering 300 lbs to Nebraska for Lee when he was arrested and lost the marijuana, money and everything else involved with it. He states Lee was more mad about how he (P.G.) lost the marijuana rather than just losing the marijuana. P.G. states that Lee threatened to kill him on several occasions. There is the possibility that this current transaction was linked to Davenport, Iowa.

Timeline

1. Approximately 5 PM on Feb 6, 1977 - she rents car from Trans Rent A Car
2. Approximately 7 PM she visits her bf at his place of work, and then returns home. (I think it was probably closer to 6 PM)
3. Approximately 7:30 PM she calls Greg. He couldn't talk because had company.
4. Approximately 8:30 PM Greg calls her back and tells her she can come over.
5. Approximately 9:35 - 9:40 PM she arrives at Greg's about 1/2 hour late
6. Approximately 10:30 PM she leaves Greg's and hasn't been seen since.

Trans Rent a Car to bf place of work = 2 miles or approximately 5 minutes
bf place of work to her apartment = 5 miles or approximately 10 - 15 minutes.
her apt to Gregs = approximately 16 - 17 miles or approximately 30 - 40 minutes.

The emphasis has been she was repaying her debt by delivering the marijuana which I now think is wrong. I think she was repaying her debt by setting up this transaction and delivering the marijuana from Greg's to Lee. In the past she had always delivered.

I also think she tried to obtain the marijuana from someone else prior to Greg. Greg states that she had dealt with another person before who went to Pima Community College. Her bf stated about a month after she disappeared a friend came forward stating Allison had approached him for a large quantity of marijuana weeks before she went missing. He/She felt she was going to rip them off and so they declined. If this actually happened I think she'd still be alive.

She then went to Greg who was supplied the marijuana from P.G. who was fronting it in good faith. Once Lee had been paid he was going to pay P.G. for the marijuana. I think Allison is the one who drove the maverick to the apartment complex and that's where the marijuana was exchanged and she was coerced/forced into going with him. The motive being Lee got his marijuana, got rid of Allison, and didn't pay for it. P.G and Allison lost a combined total of 500 lbs of marijuana. I believe mostly college students stayed at that apartment complex, she was a college student and it wouldn't draw a lot of attention. Lee wasn't interviewed until February 15th so he would've had plenty of time to deliver the marijuana himself to wherever it needed to go.

Charllie Project has updated their page based on your information. How does one get NamUs to do the same?

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/smith_laurie.html

I've noted that NamUS is very comprehensive about the number of cases it profiles, but details are often scant. Sometimes it's the facts about the case that are unknown. Sometimes stuff is known but not listed there. For many cases, there is little-or-nothing in the "circumstances" section of a profile.

CharleyProject nearly always has the most info/detail about missing persons. DoeNetwork usually has the most info ("back story") on the unidentified.

Anybody know any details of what happened to Mrs Mast? I can just find "car accident" and that her husband was charged with murder.

Was it a "he was sauced" murder or a "wrecked on purpose" murder?

Anybody know any details of what happened to Mrs Mast? I can just find "car accident" and that her husband was charged with murder.

Was it a "he was sauced" murder or a "wrecked on purpose" murder?

Her charred body was found aside a highway near Prescott AZ in a car that had gone off a 20-foot embankment and caught fire.

But they had figured out based on the tire tracks, that the car went off the road at less than 16 miles per hour. And her body was found lying completely on the floor board of the car in a position inconsistent with having previously been seated in the driver's seat.

She had more than one blunt-force trauma injury to the right side of her head and the injuries could not have come from anything in the car. It was determined that she had been struck on the head by a moving object, as opposed to her moving head having struck a stationary object in the car.

Six months prior, she had executed a holographic (i.e., handwritten) codicil to her will stating that she wished for all of her estate to go to her children, except for $5000 to go to her husband to handle any expenses related to carrying out the will. The will had previously named Chauncey Mast as the primary beneficiary.

Her charred body was found aside a highway near Prescott AZ in a car that had gone off a 20-foot embankment and caught fire.

But they had figured out based on the tire tracks, that the car went off the road at less than 16 miles per hour. And her body was found lying completely on the floor board of the car in a position inconsistent with having previously been seated in the driver's seat.

She had more than one blunt-force trauma injury to the right side of her head and the injuries could not have come from anything in the car. It was determined that she had been struck on the head by a moving object, as opposed to her moving head having struck a stationary object in the car.

Six months prior, she had executed a holographic (i.e., handwritten) codicil to her will stating that she wished for all of her estate to go to her children, except for $5000 to go to her husband to handle any expenses related to carrying out the will. The will had previously named Chauncey Mast as the primary beneficiary.
Mighty suspicious

I'll try and post some updates on this later. I have some of the police reports, but I have to refresh my memory, because this case is MUCH MORE extensive then I ever imagined.

In regards to wives there's some confusion that exists.

His first wife died in a suspicious car accident. He was the primary suspect, but he was never convicted.

There's confusion regarding the 2nd wife. The records indicate Beatrice Ann Silverman
Name: Chancey Lee Mast
Residence State: Arizona
Spouse: Beatrice Ann Silverman
Spouse residence state: Arizona
Marriage Date: 25 Sep 1976
Marriage County: Clark
Officiant Type: Civil celebrant
Recorded Date: 1 Oct 1976
Recorded County: Clark
Book: 496
Page: B060353
Instrument number: 858677

However notes from that time period indicate his spouses name was Jackie Hart. An email was sent to Lee's daughter for clarification, but she never replied.

He did divorce someone in either the 80's or 90's. I can't remember and can't find the court case info. It was in Washington State.

Is there any update in this case?

Unfortunately not.

On February 9, a friend of hers approached an officer on the U of A campus and stated she believed Allison may have been killed in a drug deal. Allison told her that she was in debt to Lee for $2000.00, and on the night of her disappearance she was picking up $1500.00 worth of marijuana. This person also knew of the history between Lee and the death of his wife. I'm now wondering if Allison may have told her all this stuff in case something happened to her??

I did find the friend, and she was more of an acquaintance than friend. Her bf was friends with Allison's bf so much of the information that she had provided was 2nd hand information that she learned from her bf. She was contacted by the police a few days later and told them what little she knew and never heard from them again. I found and spoke to this woman's bf. He was at the apartment the night Allison received the phone call from Greg and left. He didn't have much to offer, and couldn't remember her being scared or nervous that night but did admit it's been over 30 years. They were only friends because he was friends with Allison's bf. He did confirm the police never spoke to him.

Allison and bf also had a roommate that was also present that night but he had gone to New York and I assume the police never spoke to him.

Prior to Allison going missing Lee had been indicted by the DEA but that was dropped due to insufficient evidence.

Greg, who was given immunity, stated she had delivered drugs as faraway as Oregon and had also dealt with someone who went to Pima Community College. The other name frequently mentioned is Paul. He provided Greg the 200 lbs of marijuana to give to Laurie, but he stated he hadn't had any direct contact with Laurie or Lee in over a year.

There's a lot of followup questions which could've been asked but weren't.

It's a huge case file. I think this is much more involved and convoluted with still a lot of unknowns. At the time there were 23 major drug smuggling operations in Arizona with at least 5 of them being controlled by the La Costa Nostra crime family. I have a document from July 17, 1980 where they were trying to gather data about a suspected marijuana dealer, the name is redacted but I assume it's Lee, for the U.S. Attorney's office. It states, "It is believed that Laurie is probably with (name redacted) somewhere between Tucson and New Mexico." I don't have any further documents on that but I think most agree Allison was killed the night she left Greg's.

I spoke with a Detective who worked in Tucson in the 70's and even though he didn't have any direct knowledge of this case he did provide some insightful information in relation to the marijuana trade and schemes.

I can say with certainty that there was a rip off gang that used an old detective car that they had acquired from a county auction and they fastened a red lens to a window spot light. Using a deputy uniform they would make a traffic stop on suspected load cars and confiscate the drugs. There was always someone on the inside that knew what was happening. Laurie was 'duped' into driving the load car but Chauncy probably told too many people what was going on with the deal. The potential buyer probably never had any money to buy the marijuana. It was a rip from the start. This is just speculation on my part from knowing how this gang operated. However, your suspicions about Chauncy are probably correct that he was the prime suspect in her disappearance? In the drug world someone has to be held accountable for loosing the load and her explanation for what happened would not be credible to Chauncy? I remember Lee as Chauncy Lee Mast.

Around 1977 a pound of marijuana (Mexican Commercial) was selling on the streets for $75 a pound. 200 lbs= $15,000 At some point after the 'paraquat scare' where the feds were spraying the chemical in Mexico to eradicate the weed, The price jumped ski high and you couldn't find anyone in Tucson that was selling Mexican pot. It all became a different name from another location because people didn't want to smoke something that might destroy their lungs.

Working homicide cases, I never ruled out anyone until I cleared them of any suspicion.

As far as missing persons reports go, The homicide detectives were burdened with murder investigations (1977 era) without the man power allocated to devote more time to each case. Bodies were found all the time in and around Tucson. During one six month period in Nogales Arizona, 18 bodies were discovered just inside of the US border by Customs officers where they had been murdered in Mexico and dumped in Nogales to be discovered. The majority were drug related deaths. This is first hand knowledge to me when I was in Nogales.

The murders in Tucson were difficult to solve because of no identification on the victims and most were from out of town or out of state. Not to discourage your efforts in trying to get closure for Laurie's family, but after 37 years it will be a task to get a TPD detective assigned to reopen the missing person's case. Especially if the prime suspect is deceased. Your best chance is DNA matches compared to victims located since that time.

I'm sorry that I could not have been of more assistance but perhaps I was able to explain somethings to you.

I spoke with a Detective who worked in Tucson in the 70's and even though he didn't have any direct knowledge of this case he did provide some insightful information in relation to the marijuana trade and schemes.

Ricochet, your work on this case is incredible. Are you still in touch with Karas and others?

Thank you!

I've had some contact with John, Karas and her BF at the time of her disappearance.

1. In my last correspondence with John, he recalls now after he left Allison's he went home and then went to CA for approximately a year. This fills in a gap with his timeline. So he would've been with Allison, most likely early 76 shortly after the "fake" police incident where she lost the 200 lbs of pot. This would've accounted for why she appeared so upset and afraid when he first met her on the campus of PCC. He would've stayed with Allison for approximately 6 weeks at her Camilla apartment which Lee owned. He then went home and then moved to CA for approximately a year. By the time he returned to Tucson, Allison was already missing. Allison's mom went to Tucson to look into Allison's disappearance and I believe she is the one that contacted John and that's how he got involved in the search. His phone number was in Allison's address/phone book. By this time Karas and Allison's bf at the time had moved out-of-state. John stated in a previous post that he had obtained a phone bill and believed she was dealing with someone in Boise, ID. The city was actually Davenport, IA. The facts according to the police report and phone bill (which I have a copy of) are this:
1. Allison's mom and John were working together
2. John obtained a phone bill with calls to Davenport, IA
3. The TPD was in contact with the police in Davenport, IA

I did find the man who I believe is the person from Davenport, IA. The name and location matches, and age would be applicable. He was also a refrigeration contractor at one point and Lee owned a heating and cooling business at one point. In fact it was his heating and cooling business which was failing at the time of his wife's death in the 60's. So it's plausible they may have known one another. This guy died in 2009.

I did have a phone conversation several months ago with her bf at the time of her disappearance. We probably spoke for about an hour. He's frustrated after all these years that's there's still been no closure and for how the TPD handled the situation at the time. I know from the police reports he tried very hard to get the police to pursue Allison's disappearance. Allison and her bf had a roommate. The roommate and a friend was with Allison the night she left and the police didn't interview either of them. He thinks a mobster that lived in Tucson and a high profile politician may have been involved but I've found nothing that would support that.

The bf and Karas thought it was suspicious that times and dates had changed with this transaction. The detective I spoke to though didn't think much about it. He stated it was common that times, dates, locations would change because everyone was afraid of being ripped off. There were people transporting and selling pot that you wouldn't expect such as lawyers, and even church officials and often dealing in quantities larger than 200 lbs. In regards to "fake" police. There was a group of people in Tucson at the time that purchased a stripped down police car at an auction. They then made it look like a police car, pull people over and steal marijuana from people. Karas is certain though this isn't the same group that ripped Allison off.

The only people that might be able to shed more light on her disappearance and fill in some gaps would be her two friends that supplied her with the pot the night she disappeared. I haven't spoke to either of them, but I did tell Karas, that I would if she could get one or both of them to agree to speak with me.

Karas, Allison's bf, and John weren't involved in this kind of lifestyle and Allison really didn't divulge much of this to any of them. Lee's daughter Kathleen has also been very cordial and responsive to emails. She also wasn't involved in this kind of lifestyle and didn't have any contact with her father until sometime in the 80's and knows very little.

Thank you!

I've had some contact with John, Karas and her BF at the time of her disappearance.

1. In my last correspondence with John, he recalls now after he left Allison's he went home and then went to CA for approximately a year. This fills in a gap with his timeline. So he would've been with Allison, most likely early 76 shortly after the "fake" police incident where she lost the 200 lbs of pot. This would've accounted for why she appeared so upset and afraid when he first met her on the campus of PCC. He would've stayed with Allison for approximately 6 weeks at her Camilla apartment which Lee owned. He then went home and then moved to CA for approximately a year. By the time he returned to Tucson, Allison was already missing. Allison's mom went to Tucson to look into Allison's disappearance and I believe she is the one that contacted John and that's how he got involved in the search. His phone number was in Allison's address/phone book. By this time Karas and Allison's bf at the time had moved out-of-state. John stated in a previous post that he had obtained a phone bill and believed she was dealing with someone in Boise, ID. The city was actually Davenport, IA. The facts according to the police report and phone bill (which I have a copy of) are this:
1. Allison's mom and John were working together
2. John obtained a phone bill with calls to Davenport, IA
3. The TPD was in contact with the police in Davenport, IA

I did find the man who I believe is the person from Davenport, IA. The name and location matches, and age would be applicable. He was also a refrigeration contractor at one point and Lee owned a heating and cooling business at one point. In fact it was his heating and cooling business which was failing at the time of his wife's death in the 60's. So it's plausible they may have known one another. This guy died in 2009.

I did have a phone conversation several months ago with her bf at the time of her disappearance. We probably spoke for about an hour. He's frustrated after all these years that's there's still been no closure and for how the TPD handled the situation at the time. I know from the police reports he tried very hard to get the police to pursue Allison's disappearance. Allison and her bf had a roommate. The roommate and a friend was with Allison the night she left and the police didn't interview either of them. He thinks a mobster that lived in Tucson and a high profile politician may have been involved but I've found nothing that would support that.

The bf and Karas thought it was suspicious that times and dates had changed with this transaction. The detective I spoke to though didn't think much about it. He stated it was common that times, dates, locations would change because everyone was afraid of being ripped off. There were people transporting and selling pot that you wouldn't expect such as lawyers, and even church officials and often dealing in quantities larger than 200 lbs. In regards to "fake" police. There was a group of people in Tucson at the time that purchased a stripped down police car at an auction. They then made it look like a police car, pull people over and steal marijuana from people. Karas is certain though this isn't the same group that ripped Allison off.

The only people that might be able to shed more light on her disappearance and fill in some gaps would be her two friends that supplied her with the pot the night she disappeared. I haven't spoke to either of them, but I did tell Karas, that I would if she could get one or both of them to agree to speak with me.

Karas, Allison's bf, and John weren't involved in this kind of lifestyle and Allison really didn't divulge much of this to any of them. Lee's daughter Kathleen has also been very cordial and responsive to emails. She also wasn't involved in this kind of lifestyle and didn't have any contact with her father until sometime in the 80's and knows very little.

Laurie had the money in her accounts to pay lee the money that she owed? If Laurie was so fearful of Lee when John first her. Why was she still delivering pot for him a year later? In reading the thread I wondered if Lee had Laurie sign an insurance policy. He could have cashed in on this without a body in time. This is certainly a sad case and blessings to her family and friends.
Ricochet your efforts in pursuit of answers is nothing short of amazing.

Laurie had the money in her accounts to pay lee the money that she owed?

Only Allison knows the answer to this question. My guess is that she was saving the money because she was planning on traveling to Switzerland where her bf was going to study music.

If Laurie was so fearful of Lee when John first her. Why was she still delivering pot for him a year later?

3 different sources in the police report all state this transaction was because she needed the money to repay a debt to Lee. This takes us back to your first question. I should mention that during the Summer of 1976 Allison and her bf spent the Summer in Colorado. I would think if she was truly afraid she could of just gone back to Las Cruces, but I'm only speculating.

Here's some of the problems with this case.
1. John, her bf, and Karas were NOT involved in this lifestyle and Allison was secretive/vague about how involved she was around them.
2. The police reports are poorly written and can be interpreted different ways, there's date errors and some of the dates/times are questionable.
3. Those involved provided statements but no one was really questioned.
4. Lee's dead
5. It's going on 40 years and memories have faded
6. Those that may know something likely won't talk

In addition to Lee two other individuals play a role in this. "G" is a former bf and remained friends with Allison and is the one who supplied her with the marijuana. He states in the police report that in addition to Lee she transported marijuana for another individual she had met at Pima Community College. I have no idea who this person would be because the name is redacted. The other individual involved is "P". In his statement to the police he met Lee in 1974 and delivered 2 or 3 large loads of marijuana for Lee. They had a falling out early part of 1976 when he was arrested in Nebraska for transporting 300 lbs of marijuana. This would've occurred right around the time Allison was ripped off of 200 lbs of marijuana. "P" also knew that Allison had delivered large loads for Lee prior to her losing the 200 lbs. According to "P's" statement he only fronted the marijuana and hadn't seen or talked to either Lee or Allison in over a year. The detective I spoke to stated that in the 70's when someone lost a load someone paid and being arrested probably saved his life. The detective says it's not like that nowadays. If you lose a load it's an automatic death warrant. "P" is the one that fronted the marijuana in "good faith" to "G" to give to Allison. The unanswered questions are

1. Why did Allison set up this transaction when all she previously did was deliver?
2. Why would "P" front the marijuana? There was no exchange of money the night Allison picked up the 200 lbs of marijuana. She was on food stamps so she wasn't rich, and what incentive would Lee have to pay him, when "P" lost 300 lbs of marijuana as well as money that belonged to Lee?

The other odd occurrence is on February 8th her bf and Karas confronted Lee and both left with the impression Lee was angered over the fact Allison had discussed this transaction with them. Later that night 2 men went to her bf's apartment and started banging on the windows and door wanting to talk to him. He called the police and their statement was a gf of theirs was receiving obscene phone calls and they believed the calls were coming from that address.

According to Karas when the car was found it had been driven 42 miles and that'd be consistent with the mileage she would've used to go pick up the marijuana and transport it back to Lee's. I don't know whether "P" ever received money or not. My guess would be he didn't. Lee most likely ripped off "P" and killed Allison.

I don't think Allison or "G" were bad people. It was the 70's a lot of people (Dr's, lawyers, businessmen, church elders) were involved in marijuana because it was seen as easy money. Unfortunately it was also dangerous.

In reading the thread I wondered if Lee had Laurie sign an insurance policy. He could have cashed in on this without a body in time.

I don't think this happened. According to Karas Lee was being watched over the years and I think something like this would've raised red flags.

To the best of my knowledge no one has ever been arrested for anything in regards to this case. Lee left the state shortly after this and was pretty much left alone.

There are very evil people in this world. She had no idea the players in these dealings would harm her.Left behind are the people that loved Allison. John, Karas and Allison's mother never knowing what to believe since she vanished so long ago.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back