Germany Germany - Dirk Schiller, 3, Harz, 10 March 1979

Is there any way that we could find 2 pictures from the same angle and at approximately the same age of Dirk and Roberto and overlay them with each other?

Did anyone actually see Dirk snatched and driven off in a car? I'm thinking maybe he fell into a sinkhole, which are said to be common around caverns. Was the inside of the cave searched at all? Was the entire area around the cave searched?

Hi Stella,
no, there is no evidence that Dirk was taken away by car. I think the parents only started thinking along those lines because Dirk vanished without a trace. This case is very close to my heart and I read the book (in German) and also watched some German interviews with police officials. According to what I read, nobody really entertained the sinkhole theory although that thought crossed my mind as well, especially as sinkholes are mentioned in the book. The soil was frozen solid, can sinkholes happen when the soil is frozen solid? My guess is they can't and this is why that theory was not pursued. I think the assumption was that he fell into a tiny local river and drowned and was swept away. There was a little stream and Dirk and his sister played by this stream when their parents went back to the parking lot. However, that stream was frozen solid. A short distance away there was a little river, probably only 3-4 feet wide that was not frozen. When the search crews could not find him, the assumption was that he fell into this river, drowned and that the body was then carried away in the water. But apparently a little further downstream there was a metal grid/grate and the body would have been held up and found there. Nothing was ever found, not even a shoe or glove. According to police and search crew officials, it is extremely unlikely for someone even that small to vanish without a trace in that sort of topography.
So, the fact that there was another car at the scene which left at exactly the time Dirk went missing raises questions. Of course the couple in the car might have nothing to do with what happened and this might be a tragic case of a drowning accident with no body found. However, the couple's identity is unknown and Dirk's parents were persecuted quite viciously by the secret police when they started asking questions. They could have been persecuted because the East German state simply didn't like it that they asked questions or they could have been persecuted because there is more to the story.That's the bare bones of the story.

Heidi has not posted here or on the FB page since November 2012. Heidi, I hope you are okay. Please let us know.

Well, I did find this article from February 2014 that gives background on the case. I just put sections in Google Translate to read it. http://www.faz.net/aktuell/gesellschaft/menschen/verschollen-in-der-ddr-wo-ist-dirk-12804048.html

Also a FB page I hadn't seen before, but which seems to have more recent posts. Note the book and replay of a movie done in 1993: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Find-Dirk-Schiller-heidi-stein/133684570049093

Heidi, I know you are worried about your safety. Just know we haven't forgotten you or Dirk.

Heidi has not posted here or on the FB page since November 2012. Heidi, I hope you are okay. Please let us know.

A post was made to the FB page about 15 hours ago from this post. I think it is Heidi that posted it asking for information. I hope I am not breaking websleuths rules in this post I just wanted to let you know that Heidi is still active in pursuing the truth. I can't imagine the pain Heidi or any parent of the numerous missing child cases are in in searching for answers and of course justice.

A post was made to the FB page about 15 hours ago from this post. I think it is Heidi that posted it asking for information. I hope I am not breaking websleuths rules in this post I just wanted to let you know that Heidi is still active in pursuing the truth. I can't imagine the pain Heidi or any parent of the numerous missing child cases are in in searching for answers and of course justice.

Can you post the link where she made the post? I cannot see anything on the facebook page since 2013.

I just saw that a account was set up very recently for help in finding Dirk. I imagine if resources are limited it would be very expensive to find him since one prominent theory is that he was taken and is now living abroad. I believe the account was set up about four days ago. I think his mother is still quite anxious to find him. Just thought I'd post this. Such a tragedy for her.

I just saw that a account was set up very recently for help in finding Dirk. I imagine if resources are limited it would be very expensive to find him since one prominent theory is that he was taken and is now living abroad. I believe the account was set up about four days ago. I think his mother is still quite anxious to find him. Just thought I'd post this. Such a tragedy for her.

It’s a terrible tragedy I feel so sorry for Dirk’s Mum Heidi and Dirk too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back