CA CA - Johnnie Herrera, 20, Oxnard, 27 Aug 1971

I am sort of hesitant to post a link to this site because there are a couple of things that I don't feel right about on it (the first being that David Hill was cleared by LE and they are naming him as a suspect, etc.), but there is a person who believes that he encountered Patrick Kearney in Santa Maria, CA (Santa Barbara County, CA, north of Ventura County, where Johnnie went missing from). If Patrick Kearney was "cruising" for victims that far north, it is definitely possible that he cruised Ventura County as well. Quoting Russell from March 8, 2010 at 1:26 pm --

I think I might have almost become a Kearney victim way back in 1974. His photo looked very familiar to me, , except he was clean-shaven, but same bald pattern and glasses, 30-ish and slight build. Does anyone know what make of car Kearney drove in 1974, as I couldn’t find ny mention off it online? My incident involved a man in an orange VW Beetle, just off the 101 Highway in Santa Maria, CA as I was walking home....

http://mylifeofcrime.wordpress.com/2006/09/06/serial-killer-patrick-kearney-and-david-hill-the-trash-bag-murders/

I am sort of hesitant to post a link to this site because there are a couple of things that I don't feel right about on it (the first being that David Hill was cleared by LE and they are naming him as a suspect, etc.), but there is a person who believes that he encountered Patrick Kearney in Santa Maria, CA (Santa Barbara County, CA, north of Ventura County, where Johnnie went missing from). If Patrick Kearney was "cruising" for victims that far north, it is definitely possible that he cruised Ventura County as well. Quoting Russell from March 8, 2010 at 1:26 pm --

http://mylifeofcrime.wordpress.com/...kearney-and-david-hill-the-trash-bag-murders/

I agree. It's definitely possible that Johnnie and Kearney crossed paths. Many of Kearney's victims were from the L.A./Southern California area. I read that entry from them man who believed he was propositioned by Kearney in 1974. I wonder if something similar could have happened to Johnnie. The difference of course is that Johnnie was sadly unable to escape safely like the man in the blog entry.

I was just thinking. Is it possible that Johnnie did in fact leave voluntarily, only to meet an untimely demise (be it homicide, accident, suicide, natural causes, etc) later on down the line? Perhaps his death (I'm pretty convinced he's dead) really didn't have as much to do with his initial disappearance as we've been thinking.

Bobby, have you considered asking a library to look up the street where the party was, in a criss cross directory from that year? It might be possible to pin down more about where he was that night?

Bobby, have you considered asking a library to look up the street where the party was, in a criss cross directory from that year? It might be possible to pin down more about where he was that night?

I'm not sure what a criss-cross directory is. And I live in Florida, so would they be able to give me info like that from California over 40 years ago?

A criss cross directory (sometimes called a city directory or a street address directory) is like a phone book, but it would have all residences regardless of whether or not they had a phone. Also, the back would have an index where you could search by address, so you could get a list of everyone that lived on a certain street.

The Oxnard Public Library has the 1971 edition -

http://search.oxnard.org/uhtbin/cgisirsi.exe/LuK5kjUzRA/OXNARDMAIN/205020048/9

Usually the librarians will scan the page(s) you need and email to you. You'd just have to give them the street name and which year/book you want checked.

If you do email them, you should mention that you're out of state and can't come to the library - otherwise they tend to respond telling you where in the library you can find the books.:facepalm:

I just sent the email. I explained that I was out of state.

Already got a response back:

Dear Bobby,

I don't know whether I can find a copy of this or not. I will try finding something though.

It may take me a while.

Judy Weston,
Librarian I
Oxnard Public Library

Already got a response back:

Dear Bobby,

I don't know whether I can find a copy of this or not. I will try finding something though.

It may take me a while.

Judy Weston,
Librarian I
Oxnard Public Library

That's odd, according to their site they have 4 copies. Hopefully she is able to find it.

Johnnie has been missing 43 years today.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back